• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Got a chance to begin the great colouring today. Here is a picture of mostly-finished Naoto. Ignore the unfinished Kanji and very unfinished Teddie.

EDIT: Impromptu mouse fix. Excuse the slight jank.

naotoisagiraffe.png

What is a mind-grape?

You're clearly not a 30 Rock fan.

PK Gaming

Well to be fair, Yukari had a freakishly long neck in Persona too. Aigis and Junpei too (did I just ruin Persona 3 for you guys :p)

As for the drawing itself, you made Naoto look sexy, which is nice. You also captured Kanji's "i'm smiling, but i'm not really thinking of anything at the moment" face. Colouring is top notch, must have taken you hours to do it.

Meia

Well, Persona 2: IS finished.

...that was a thing alright.
Punched that ass in the face. But yeah, that was one of the best villains I've seen, can see where people's complaints of 3 and 4's big bads are about now.

Now I just want to immediately leap into EP. Hrm.

pirata

DUDE HER NECK

That seriously reminds me of a story I heard around a campfire as a kid. There was a man who married a woman who always wore a ribbon around her neck, and she made her husband promise never to untie it. For many years he follows her wishes, until they are old. Finally, decades of curiosity get the best of him, and he pulls off the tie when his wife is distracted...and her head fell to the ground. Ooooooooooooooh.....

Yeah, little kid stories. It's just when I saw that picture, I thought "that must be keeping her head attached."

Meia

Probably would've played these earlier if I realized how short they were. 1 was like 20 hours, IS was 30. Not used to a persona game not taking me over 100. :p

Punched that ass in the face. But yeah, that was one of the best villains I've seen, can see where people's complaints of 3 and 4's big bads are about now.

I kind of want to discuss these with you when you are done lol

Young Magus

DO IT....
Also high five on punching him, I wonder who didn't punch him now I think about it.

Meia

I didn't. I thanked him.

Consider that he gave you a chance to make it right, something Nyarlathotep would never do.

You're not wrong. And yet, this whole thing was seemingly started because of some pissing contest between the two entities in the first place. You've been moved around like a chess piece, and your Queen dies at the end. You "won" the battle, but lost everything and lost the "game", through no fault of your own. The alternative he gives you is kind of a "do-over". In essence, you still all DIE, if your memories are gone. That's what I interpreted it as anyway. Everyone meeting on a random street, and not knowing who each other is is heartbreaking.

Now started off EP, and it has an interesting start that may make me rethink how I feel about Philemon. But right now, screw that asshole, he's no different than Izanami was from 4.

You're not wrong. And yet, this whole thing was seemingly started because of some pissing contest between the two entities in the first place. You've been moved around like a chess piece, and your Queen dies at the end. You "won" the battle, but lost everything and lost the "game", through no fault of your own. The alternative he gives you is kind of a "do-over". In essence, you still all DIE, if your memories are gone. That's what I interpreted it as anyway. Everyone meeting on a random street, and not knowing who each other is is heartbreaking.

Now started off EP, and it has an interesting start that may make me rethink how I feel about Philemon. But right now, screw that asshole, he's no different than Izanami was from 4.
^^^^^ this so much. I despise Philemon.

Meia

Just walking around EP so far is blowing my freaking mind. I had bought EP for the PSX a long time ago, but after hearing it was the second part of a story I decided to wait to play through IS first. Best decision ever.

Just walking around EP so far is blowing my freaking mind. I had bought EP for the PSX a long time ago, but after hearing it was the second part of a story I decided to wait to play through IS first. Best decision ever.

Playing IS first gives you some awesome moments (
Like being all "........." in the intro to everything the lady says, then he freaking TALKS and like even though you know he's a Dude That Talks in EP, it's still this big "Woah" moment
)

Also, you should understand that EP is kind of mean-spirited. Like from the beginning you can probably tell that the stakes have been upped since you're dealing with a
violent murderer JOKER rather than an ~energy stealing~ Joker

FluxWaveZ

Playing IS first gives you some awesome moments (
Like being all "........." in the intro to everything the lady says, then he freaking TALKS and like even though you know he's a Dude That Talks in EP, it's still this big "Woah" moment
)

It wasn't such a big deal for me since I probably knew about it (and I also had experienced something similar with the Golden Sun series), but I will never get over the fact that they fucked up Maya so horribly.

Meia

It wasn't such a big deal for me since I probably knew about it (and I also had experienced something similar with the Golden Sun series), but I will never get over the fact that they fucked up Maya so horribly.

Guessing there's no great moments where she grabs control of some vehicle with childlike glee and all your going is "Maya, you can't drive, stahp!" as she bumps into everything? Mute characters don't mean they have no personality either, please tell me they didn't go that far?

FluxWaveZ

Guessing there's no great moments where she grabs control of some vehicle with childlike glee and all your going is "Maya, you can't drive, stahp!" as she bumps into everything? Mute characters don't mean they have no personality either, please tell me they didn't go that far?

There are some moments where her personality shines through with her actions (like a great joke about her inability to pilot anything late in the game), but almost all of that is done through other characters talking about her or playing off of her character and is no longer represented by herself. Mainly, if someone played EP without knowledge of IS, she would actually seem fairly bland in EP. It's a bummer.

Edit: Man, Innocent Sin's song during the credits might be my favorite credits theme in the series.

So I played my first Persona game, P4G, this March/April. I then played through P3P right after and have completed both games. I've enjoyed both games quite a bit. I was surprised how much more I liked Persona 3. From the start of Persona 3, I wasn't feeling it as much as Persona 4. What I came to find is that pretty much every character in Persona 3/4 have similar archetypes/themes, and Persona 3 had the superior character to me.

I'm really looking forward to Persona 5, but there is one thing I really hope they do away with in Persona 5. I hope they go away from the whole harem aspect in Persona 5. I felt like a lot of the female characters' stories in Persona 3 and 4 were hurt by this. I'm not opposed to love being a part of a character's story with the MC, but the fact that every single female character falls in love with you just by spending time with them is pretty annoying. It cheapens the character. This isn't even a feminist rant or anything, though I think there is a real argument there too. I think it just makes the characters less interesting. If anything, they should make having a girlfriend much more difficult in Persona 5, but much more rewarding. Maybe make the conversations much more consequential than simply determining how many notes pop over their head. I'd rather they focus on better character develop instead of pandering to a sexual fantasy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So I played my first Persona game, P4G, this March/April. I then played through P3P right after and have completed both games. I've enjoyed both games quite a bit. I was surprised how much more I liked Persona 3. From the start of Persona 3, I wasn't feeling it as much as Persona 4. What I came to find is that pretty much every character in Persona 3/4 have similar archetypes/themes, and Persona 3 had the superior character to me.

I'm really looking forward to Persona 5, but there is one thing I really hope they do away with in Persona 5. I hope they go away from the whole harem aspect in Persona 5. I felt like a lot of the female characters' stories in Persona 3 and 4 were hurt by this. I'm not opposed to love being a part of a character's story with the MC, but the fact that every single female character falls in love with you just by spending time with them is pretty annoying. It cheapens the character. This isn't even a feminist rant or anything, though I think there is a real argument there too. I think it just makes the characters less interesting. If anything, they should make having a girlfriend much more difficult in Persona 5, but much more rewarding. Maybe make the conversations much more consequential than simply determining how many notes pop over their head. I'd rather they focus on better character develop instead of pandering to a sexual fantasy.
press no

FluxWaveZ

You're right. I loved how romancing Junpei isn't possible in the female side of P3P even though the dialogue option is offered.

Meia

This was my massive problem with social links from 3, honestly. Half of the female links boil down to the relationship clicking, which actually detracts from them as characters somewhat. 4 there's a choice, and usually the choice doesn't negatively effect the individual link stories. I think considering one of the major changes they made with the links from 3 when they went with portable(since it came out after 4) was romances as an optional thing, so provided 5 keeps the social link system intact, I can't see them going back to the "no choice" thing.

If anything, if they do exist in 5, I hope the links aren't in their own little bubbles anymore to the point where you can go out with EVERYONE with none the wiser. Always felt that kinda creepy.

And oh my god the gameplay in EP is terrible. I didn't realized they "cleaned up" a lot of the interface in IS since they're both such old games. No radar/map on the screen at all times, clumsy battle interface, simpler conversations....

This was my massive problem with social links from 3, honestly. Half of the female links boil down to the relationship clicking, which actually detracts from them as characters somewhat. 4 there's a choice, and usually the choice doesn't negatively effect the individual link stories negatively. I think considering one of the major changes they made with the links from 3 when they went with portable(since it came out after 4) was romances as an optional thing, so provided 5 keeps the social link system intact, I can't see them going back to the "no choice" thing.

If anything, if they do exist in 5, I hope the links aren't in their own little bubbles anymore to the point where you can go out with EVERYONE with none the wiser. Always felt that kinda creepy.

In 4, you can avoid the relationships, but it's still kinda bad. They're basically giving you all the signals and clearing the runway for you. You just have the choice to skip out on their offers.

FluxWaveZ

so skip out on them

That doesn't fix the problem that is inherently the characterization. It's pretty stupid the main character of P3/P4 has this aura where all of the party members of the opposite sex want a piece of him and are disappointed when you reject their love.

I agree that it cheapens who they are.

so skip out on them

The issue is that all of the characters have those romantic feelings for you.

Spend time with Chie? She wants you.

Spend time with Yukiko? She wants you.

Spend time with Rise? She wants you.

Spend time with Naoto? She wants you.

That's the problem. Their affection isn't earned. It's still a harem game. They just have the courtesy in asking you if you want to be their boyfriend in 4.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The issue is that all of the characters have those romantic feelings for you.

Spend time with Chie? She wants you.

Spend time with Yukiko? She wants you.

Spend time with Rise? She wants you.

Spend time with Naoto? She wants you.

That's the problem. Their affection isn't earned. It's still a harem game. They just have the courtesy in asking you if you want to be their boyfriend in 4.
stop spending time with them

Meia

A choice is better/deeper than no choice. We should be wanting more options in future games, not less. :p

Can people take it to creepy levels? Of course, but you get that with any fandom.

That doesn't fix the problem that is inherently the characterization. It's pretty stupid the main character of P3/P4 has this aura where all of the party members of the opposite sex want a piece of him and are disappointed when you reject their love.

I do agree that alot of them getting upset seems kinda silly. Was happy Chie didn't. Naoto doesn't unless you pick very specific options referencing her gender(was an example of a good link in that options from several ranks effects where it ends up). Rise is a flirt to anything with a penis. Yukiko was into you as part of the story, like Yukari from 3 was.

Then again, it's "silly" for a stranger in town is someone you confess all your deepest darkest secrets to anyway. :p

Lunar15

The thing is that the actual "romance" section of all the social links is SO small. It's a much smaller portion of the game than people make it out to be. In fact, my problem with it was how random some of them were. However, you can just decline and go through the character's full arc with basically no changes.

It's a small addition, not a relationship-defining event. I honestly barely even thought about it. I do agree that some females should never turn on to you, as it would provide more variety, at least.

stop spending time with them

That's still their character, you just didn't learn it. Why do you not think the solution is to have the romantic aspect between characters not be automatic on either side? Why are you against the female characters not automatically falling in love with the MC just by spending time with him? Do you think the harem aspect of the game is helping the character development? I think it is blatantly obvious it is hurting it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's still their character, you just didn't learn it. Why do you not think the solution is to have the romantic aspect between characters not be automatic on either side? Why are you against the female characters not automatically falling in love with the MC just by spending time with him? Do you think the harem aspect of the game is helping the character development? I think it is blatantly obvious it is hurting it.
If you don't learn it then it doesn't actually happen. Choice!

FluxWaveZ

A choice is better/deeper than no choice. We should be wanting more options in future games, not less. :p

Can people take it to creepy levels? Of course, but you get that with any fandom.

The thing is I don't care for S. Links really being a dating sim in a bad disguise. They can be so much more than just being there so that the main character can either date a girl or reject her. The Kanji/Naoto relationship, for example, would probably have been much more of a presence in P4 if there wasn't this need for Naoto to be datable.

The thing is that the actual "romance" section of all the social links is SO small. It's a much smaller portion of the game than people make it out to be. In fact, my problem with it was how random some of them were. However, you can just decline and go through the character's full arc with basically no changes.

It's an small addition, not a relationship-defining event.

Well yes, I wouldn't argue that the harem aspect of Persona 3/4 ruined the game for me or the female characters for me, but it certainly hurt it. The fact that their affection doesn't need to be earned is something that flattens their character.

Meia

Of all, Naoto's was probably handled the best, in that the player actually has to go out of their way to even open up that option. It wasn't a simple "Do you like me Y/N?" rank 9 link choice like it is for several others.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to have "off-limit" characters, which I think is more what you're getting at. Junpei was only like that in 3P for obvious story reasons, and even then it was a near thing(as it was a last minute cut that's still buried in the game files, least in terms of the rooftop scene).

Then again, this isn't something that 3 invented either now having played P2:IS....

The thing is I don't care for S. Links really being a dating sim in a bad disguise. They can be so much more than just being there so that the main character can either date a girl or reject her. The Kanji/Naoto relationship, for example, would probably have been much more of a presence in P4 if there wasn't this need for Naoto to be datable.

Yeah, another good example of something being off limits not being a bad thing. There's two options: You put a block around that character being romancable for more character interaction that's not centered around you, or you have it anyway, but then create new scenes of fallout if you do. Would have been nice to have Naoto as a romance, but then by doing so you have to patch things up with Kanji or something via more events. This is what I more want out of the system moving forward with 5, if the series must have it.

PK Gaming

I think you're right about P4, but P3 (at least from the FeMC perspective) wasn't really like that. You had to progress though the relationship in a specific way to enter in a lovers route. I haven't really explored this in the male path, but the female lovers path for most of the characters had very much to do with hanging out intermixed with carefully timed flirtation (I remember in Akihiko's case, you need to flat out hit on him to activate a lovers flag) and understanding of their feelings. You could absolutely progress from beginning to of a social link to the end one as just "friends."

I don't think it's fair to boil down the female social links as "a dating sim." They're still about hanging out with your friends, and some of them (Chie's in particular) are really, really damn good, especially towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom