• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

She's not bad, but let's not get crazy here.

Yuko.jpg

Your relationship with Aradia could become stronger soon...

Meia

Kanji, or even Yosuke, would have been the best chance of going that route if they wanted to.

Who knows, it's possible they will in the future, especially with all the dialogue people had after 4's release about Kanji. There is a point about trying to force it just for the sake of doing so though. Taking characters we know aren't that way and making them that way just cause there's suddenly a female MC certainly qualifies as "forcing". It's why I like that they made sure Junpei couldn't be romanced in the female MC route, even if it was something they apparently decided against at the last minute.

Skyrim is good tho

No it's not

KOTOR 2 is good though, although it doesn't exactly go into any deep romance options, from what I remember.

Dantis

When most gay relationships come across as forced as opposed to the opposite feeling natural? I'd say so, yes. If you can't make it work, don't do it.

Agreed.

I have no problem with gay characters in games, but doing it for the sake of doing it is dumb. If you design a character and say "This character should be gay because that's the direction I want to take creatively", then that's excellent. If you design a character and say "This character should be gay because gay characters are rarely portrayed well and I want to make statement", that's probably stupid.

I feel like the whole point is that sexuality, gender etc. etc. are points which should become irrelevant. I don't want to praise somebody because "Wow, you guys tried doing a trans character to say something about how it's okay to be trans" if the execution is nothing special. Characters should be defined by character, not check lists to appease political correctness.

jaxword

While this is true, I think the cast of 4, considering how much Atlus is pimping them out anyway, coupled with the cliff-hangers of Arena, is the perfect way to finally give us a college setting for a Persona game. Can imagine another game with Yu at university, continuing Arena's idea. Some make it into the college, some don't, so you have some new cast members, but some old fan favorites. Or have it be a new Fool with some of the 4 cast in University or something(P2:IS spoilers
Kind of how Yukino shows up in the beginning of IS, almost as a mentor to the new group of kids just finding out about Personas
).

On point, nah, nothing in high school for me was world-shattering, but I had a crappy HS life. My moments like that came long after. Just because you cross the threshold to "adulthood" doesn't mean that there aren't any revelations or things of that nature to be had, or massive changes to your psyche for that matter either.

Given the IMMENSE amount of media and writing from people using high school as a metaphor for coming-of-age stories, I think it's safe to say that for the majority, it's definitely a worldview-changer.

Hell, why wouldn't it be? Hormones running wild, losing your virginity, falling for your first love, first time sneaking out behind parents' backs, first time getting drunk at that party you weren't supposed to be at, first time having your heart broken...

Even if you yourself did not experience those at that exact time, you must admit that many, many, many others did, thus why it's so relatable as a theme.

Let's just be honest: the target audience for Jrpgs is not going to be working/married people in their 30s. They're not going to have the time and energy to invest in a 60 hour game when the baby needs changing and work needs more hours. It's teenagers who have the liquid cash and time to invest in games like this. So they'll always be the target audience. This has been the case for 20 years now. It's not going to change because one particular demographic is older, because there's always a younger one ready to fill the gap. And teenagers want teenage characters. Even someone 21 is too old, sometimes.

Jintor

Unless it's both

There's no reason a 'statement' character can't still be a good character. It's somewhat rarer, but if someone at Rockstar woke up one day and decided "I want the next mainline GTA game to star an asian female protagonist for reasons" but proceeded to write, well, a pretty good standard asian female protagonist, that'd be rad.

Open world games that involve a set protagonist don't tend to use females, hmmm... the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Saint's Row, and that's a customisable avatar game (and each of the voices has their own little quirks. Troy Baker and Laura Bailey have a set, actually, but I always use Hispanic Female)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Agreed.

I have no problem with gay characters in games, but doing it for the sake of doing it is dumb. If you design a character and say "This character should be gay because that's the direction I want to take creatively", then that's excellent. If you design a character and say "This character should be gay because gay characters are rarely portrayed well and I want to make statement", that's probably stupid.
they likely portrayed straight characters for the sake of doing it, so
I feel like the whole point is that sexuality, gender etc. etc. are points which should become irrelevant.
this is easy to say when your identity and place in the world are never marginalized
[...] political correctness.
oh dear.

Taruranto

It's the kind of games where you can have simulated sex with a robot, a 12 years old shota and a harem of 12 girls lust after your personality-less self-insert, i don't see how adding a gay relationship would be too much of a problem.

If anything it's offensive that it isn't already there, stop implying shit Atlus and let the male MC date Ryouji/Theodore too.

Meia

No, but in Dantis's second example I read "A character who's only going to be gay cause they're rare in games", not that they were designed from the ground up with that in mind. In other words, something done almost as an afterthought to make the character more interesting or something.

Whatever Kanji is, he's interesting because of his hobbies and how he tried to force others to not look at him so he could do what he wanted and not be criticized for it. That there's further reasoning behind that adds more layers to him. If all he was was "You sayin' I like DUDES", then meh.

Guess the point is to not have the "token" whatever character, who's only defining characteristic is that. Honestly, I don't think this is something we need to worry about with this franchise. :)

Risette

A Good Citizen
No, but in Dantis's second example I read "A character who's only going to be gay cause they're rare in games", not that they were designed from the ground up with that in mind. In other words, something done almost as an afterthought to make the character more interesting or something.
do you think they consciously make characters straight or do they default to it because it's the norm? only one of these choices makes sense.

Dantis

do you think they consciously make characters straight or do they default to it because it's the norm? only one of these choices makes sense.

They default to it because it's the norm, and because most of the developers are likely straight themselves.

Are you saying that Atlus should say "Wait, all our characters are straight, so we should throw in a gay character too"?

Like I say, it should be based on character. You want to make a character who is gay or trans or whatever? Go for it. You want to make all straight characters? That's totally cool too.

Not everything needs to be a statement.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are you saying that Atlus should say "Wait, all our characters are straight, so we should throw in a gay character too"?
how about "not every person in the world is straight and at least a few of our players will not be straight, so they should have a character they can identify with in this game that emphasizes personal relationships"

maybe just like the rest of the characters that are designed for certain people to identify with... whoa

Meia

Because it's the norm.

Variety is nice, and it would be nice if they didn't leave Kanji as vague overall. But it didn't need to be hashed out. You're only given a calendar year to figure these characters out, and considering Kanji didn't even start questioning til the game started, I think it was handled right.

What you DON'T want is a character like Kaiden from ME, who was vanilla and bland in the first two games then suddenly gay in the last, just cause.

Venfayth

Naoto and Kanji start out with a lot of questions about sexuality and gender and they both come up with answers that don't seem natural to their character. Atlus went far enough to imply these things, but their storylines ultimately take different directions. It doesn't feel genuine.

Kazzy

A narrative shouldn't be compromised to by an agenda, but Persona both alludes to, and outright fashions certain scenarios, only to abruptly abandon them.

I can see why some would feel that a certain aspect being pushed would threaten the makeup of the franchise, but its hard to feel that strongly about that, especially when it seemingly lacks conviction with how it has chosen to portray those elements in the past. Its more irritating to see them badly flirt with those ideas.

Dantis

how about "not every person in the world is straight and at least a few of our players will not be straight, so they should have a character they can identify with in this game that emphasizes personal relationships"

Ha.

Absolutely not. They should make what they want to make, and what they think people will like.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ha.

Absolutely not. They should make what they want to make, and what they think people will like.
so you are supporting unreasonable exclusion (given the paths the franchise has taken in the past, it is not like this is a drastic change) of minority groups?

cj_iwakura

maybe just like the rest of the characters that are designed for certain people to identify with... whoa

Have you played Innocent Sin?

Meia

so you are supporting unreasonable exclusion (given the paths the franchise has taken in the past, it is not like this is a drastic change) of minority groups?

On the flipside, do you think they MUST include a gay character because there hasn't been one in the spotlight before(even though I think there was in the early ones, wasn't there?)?

I don't agree that Kanji didn't go far enough, just that it wasn't there to begin with.

How much of Kanji for example is just us seeing how his shadow behaved, and then deciding "Well, he MUST be gay!" We know somewhat what shadows are in that they're hidden sides ramped up to 11. The interesting thing to wonder is would Kanji's shadow had even been like that if it wasn't for the interaction with Naoto just before that? He likes hobbies that have been classified as "feminine", and even likes cute things, which societies labels as also "feminine". Does that make his sexual preference that way too, or do we try to read too much into his shadow and hammer at something that isn't really there?

Risette

A Good Citizen
On the flipside, do you think they MUST include a gay character because there hasn't been one in the spotlight before(even though I think there was in the early ones, wasn't there?)?

I don't agree that Kanji didn't go far enough, just that it wasn't there to begin with.

How much of Kanji for example is just us seeing how his shadow behaved, and then deciding "Well, he MUST be gay!" We know somewhat what shadows are in that they're hidden sides ramped up to 11. The interesting thing to wonder is would Kanji's shadow had even been like that if it wasn't for the interaction with Naoto just before that? He likes hobbies that have been classified as "feminine", and even likes cute things, which societies labels as also "feminine". Does that make his sexual preference that way too, or do we try to read too much into his shadow and hammer at something that isn't really there?
why does it have to be about the "spotlight" and not about giving all players an equal choice in a "Role Playing Game" that has an emphasis on personal relationships?

Meia

why does it have to be about the "spotlight" and not about giving all players an equal choice in a "Role Playing Game" that has an emphasis on personal relationships?

IS is an example of it not being in the spotlight, and it was under player action that it happens too.

If you mean why hasn't it happened in a modern persona yet, maybe the situation just hasn't really presented itself yet. /shrug

And how much of the Troy Baker thing comes from Atlus telling him to play his Shadow like that? At any rate, I personally think he's at least Bi, even if it's not explicitly stated, but I don't need it to be either.

Dantis

Ha. Good try, but no. It's not for or against. There's nothing to this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom