• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

Always wondered why they deliberately avoided any lesbian subtext. I mean, they could have left the MC interactions the exact same with the girls, no real coding change or whatever, and that would have been LESS effort than rewriting and redesigning the social links.

My lady bumped boxes with elizabeth. It was all the poor girl could get. Shame. This comes in with all the sexual diversity issues japan still has. or something. I don't think too hard about it.
You can just as easily complain why the male MC's can't be gay and bone anyone other than Yosuke. Because he sucks.

newbie period? uh, hi deadpool.
Hello there, welcome to the club. We don't bite

much
I actually really want P3 Platinum to be a thing.

I want it to be a thing if they add all the stuff from the novels and drama CDs in. On top all the stuff from FES and P3P, of course.

I would seriously buy this. Put it on Vita so I can have it portable with Golden and it'll be perfect. But I sadly doubt we'll get it.

P3P is so not worth paying over FES.
I like being able to control my AI rather than have my partners have the collective intelligence of a bag of rocks, that alone is the big reason I'd pick P3P over FES. Then again, I've already played FES, so that weighs in a bit.

Acid08

Banned
I like being able to control my AI rather than have my partners have the collective intelligence of a bag of rocks, that alone is the big reason I'd pick P3P over FES. Then again, I've already played FES, so that weighs in a bit.
Yeah, that is a huge improvement. But every other aspect of P3P ruined the game for me.

Sophia

I find it difficult to play FES now. Only really can do it in emulator with the widescreen hack. Perhaps it's because I prefer to play things on the superior Vita screen or my computer monitor over my shitty SDTV.

PK Gaming

Always wondered why they deliberately avoided any lesbian subtext. I mean, they could have left the MC interactions the exact same with the girls, no real coding change or whatever, and that would have been LESS effort than rewriting and redesigning the social links.

?

This seems like a no brainer, no offense. For one, it would be incredibly lazy, and it would be incredibly demeaning FeMC and the girls you deal with. Though keep in mind that the Aigis x FeMC social link is basically the same as Makoto's.

Part of the reason why the FeMC social links are so strong is due to the fact that she's a entirely different character than Makoto. We get an entirely new perspective on each of the girl social links by virtue of the new protagonist gender. Yukari isn't a love interests to FeMC; she's your best friend. Instead of being Fuuka's test subject(for the express purpose of getting laid imo), you're a good friend who actively tries to get her to improve / tell her food tastes like shit. Instead of trying help Mitsuru cope with her dads death (and also try to get laid) you're her "other" best friend, who ends up introducing her to regular life and what not.

I'm not opposed to same sex relationships, but shoehorning them into every relationship(hi mass effect) is bullshit.

P3MC is an asshole. It bears repeating.

#TeamFeMC

Kind agree, heh. I hate how he usually telling people what they WANT to hear instead of what they NEED to hear, and he's just sex crazy.

Squire

Banned
Uh, I didn't realize giving people more options to make their avatar more like them (you know, the point of avatars) was "shoehorning", but alright.

Acid08

Banned
?

This seems like a no brainer, no offense. For one, it would be incredibly lazy, and it would be incredibly demeaning FeMC and the girls you deal with.

Part of the reason why the FeMC social links are so strong is due to the fact that she's a entirely different character than Makoto. We get an entirely new perspective on each of the girl social links by virtue of the new protagonist gender. Yukari isn't a love interests to FeMC; she's your best friend. Instead of being Fuuka's test subject(for the express purpose of getting laid imo), you're a good friend who actively tries to get her to improve / tell her food tastes like shit. Instead of trying help Mitsuru cope with her dads death (and also try to get laid) you're her "other" best friend, who ends up introducing her to regular life and what not.

I'm not opposed to same sex relationships, but shoehorning them into every relationship(hi mass effect) is bullshit.

Kind agree, heh. I hate how he usually telling people what they WANT to hear instead of what they NEED to hear, and he's just sex crazy.
Uh huh....can tell where your head was at playing the game :p

i can't play fes because of the slew of interface improvements in portable.

good on equipping from the menu and not by...talking to your party members...in tartarus...

PK Gaming

Uh, I didn't realize giving people more options to make their avatar more like them (you know, the point of avatars) was "shoehorning", but alright.

No I wasn't talking about Shepard.

I was referring to the instances where characters like Kaiden who suddenly became bisexual over the course of 2 games. His romantic relationship with shepard is really weak since it came out of nowhere.

Well you can feel free to say whatever you want with Brotag (not always pleasing), and it's not like you have to have sex with everyone, it's all up to how you play the game, being an avatar and all, having freedom to use the dialogue options as you see fit. Yeah if you choose the wrong one you can hurt the link, but no one's forcing you to max out every link.

Just sayin'

i can't play fes because of the slew of interface improvements in portable.

good on equipping from the menu and not by...talking to your party members...in tartarus...

Many times in Fes when a shadow was chasing me, I'd try to run back a little bit so I'd hit them first and not get the disadvantage, and when I'd press X to attack, I'd end up talking to a party member about changing equipment.

Me: gotta take a step back for this one
party member: Yes, what do you need?
Me: dammit, here comes the disadvantage once I end this conversation

PK Gaming

Deadpool940 said:
Well you can feel free to say whatever you want with Brotag Inot always pleasing), and it's not like you have to have sex with everyone, it's all up to how you play the game, being an avatar and all, having freedom to use the dialogue options as you see fit. Yeah if you choose the wrong one you can hurt the link, but no one's forcing you to max out every link.

Just sayin'

It's not like I despise Makoto's SL. I generally like them, they just pale in comparison to FeMC / Yu's, and I felt like teasing him about it :p

Uh huh....can tell where your head was at playing the game :p

tumblr_mk8j5smLVp1r8ijpio1_400.png

tumblr_mk8j5smLVp1r8ijpio2_400.png

tumblr_mk8j5smLVp1r8ijpio3_400.png

Didn't you know? This is how all the hip kids play Persona.

Acid08

Banned
But really, if you're deciding that YOUR character is only talking to these girls to get laid then that's on you.

I love Makoto's snark and attitude. It just fit that game so much better for me. But in a lot of the social links my character was genuinely interested in helping the other characters overcome their problems with the power of ~friendship~. Yukari was the only girl I saw my character as dating. The rest I used for more powerful Personas ;P

i want to date satan. and kanji.

Many times in Fes when a shadow was chasing me, I'd try to run back a little bit so I'd hit them first and not get the disadvantage, and when I'd press X to attack, I'd end up talking to a party member about changing equipment.

i need an ambush yeah thanks

bah gawd it's hogan -- hogan on the assault

Sophia

This was what happened the first time I got Megatenned in Persona 3. Junpei walked in my path when I went to shoot. Enemy got the advantage and one shotted me with Mudo. :(

I won't lie. I spend all of Fes wishing Mitsuru was the MC.

That bastard can keep sealing the universe for eternity for all I care

Also, as a female who likes Persona a lot, even though personally a girl or a guy is fine for me, it was nice of Atlus to throw a bone in terms of male romantic S.links/Finally getting Akihiko in bed.

On another note, I know logically that P5 will be set in a random highschool in Japan with a group of 15 and 16 year olds just trying to find themselves getting caught up in demon hijinks but...God I really want it not to be set in a random high school. While I understand that it's a good point to capture the insecurities that the themes of the games explore, it's not the only pivotal time in life, and after spending a lot of time with both 3 and 4, though I love them, and they are some of my favorite games, it add almost an air of superficiality concerning a lot of the issues the games deal with. Even a university setting would feel more fresh, as the characters wouldn't be so tied to the idea that "life = school", and there are more locales to be explored in depth, perhaps meeting more unusual characters in different situations. Mostly I became exausted sometime halfway through Arena. Beyond the ages/setting/maturity of the main gangm I was really pleasantly surprised about both Kanji and Naoto's internal struggles in P4, and almost as disappointed when they ended up being *wink nod* situations or "left up to the imagination."

Jintor

Can't you capture my goddamn insecurities in University instead?

Something something Persona 2 IDK anything about it right now shut uppppp

Kazzy

Anything is an upgrade from "pizzaroll".[/QUOTE]

Those in food-based houses shouldn't throw [s]scones[/s] stones.

[quote="Jintor, post: 60541433"]I liked Yuko, although I felt her design was a little boring.

G[B]etting to go on camp with her and Ryo to Inaba in P3P was rad though.[/B][/QUOTE]

Chie with that off-screen scene-steal!

[spoiler]Which was extremely small and minor, but I did like that it touched upon very early details of her friendship with Yukiko, which is only gleaned in P4.[/spoiler]

[quote="Jintor, post: 60543481"]She needs to force her way into canon[/QUOTE]

She definitely gets her fair share of love, anyway!

[quote="cjkeats, post: 60543809"]My lady bumped boxes with elizabeth. It was all the poor girl could get.[/QUOTE]

What? You don't believe in Electric Dreams?

Taruranto

Aigis was a straight-up lesbian (inb4 it doesn't count because she's a robot) and Mitsuru S.Link was full of yuri subtext.

Soma

Shaking my head at anyone who thinks MC is better than FeMC.

I do but mainly because I felt like he's a really exaggerated version of myself so I kinda 'connected' with the story better.

- sleeps all the time
- listens to and carries around his headphones constantly
- quiet
- relatively short (we're apparently the same height going by this chart.)
- hands in pockets all the time
- snarky/deadpan attitude
- goes to cafes alone
- may or may not have a creepy child visiting in the middle of the night

etc.

Kazzy

I actually really want P3 Platinum to be a thing.

But would you really? In terms of a "complete" package, I can really see the allure for us fans, but I can't help but feel it'd really be diluting the franchise a bit. In terms of getting the FemMc route into the game proper, well, that'd constitute a bit of work too. The presentation of P3P helped to streamline the process, somewhat, so I'd wager that this would seem like a stretch for Atlus.

As much as I love P3 & P4, how long have we been treading around those now?

Meia

Until there's a "perfect" version of P3 out there, fans of the series will talk about it, even when a Persona 5 has come out.

...well ok, maybe not. Still sucks to say I wish someone could hack together FES's presentation into Portable's game in order to get the full experience. Need someone good at sprite work.

Omikaru

Would pay top dollar for Persona 3 Perfect/Platinum/Whatever.

But I think Persona 5 first. Going back to the older games is great and all, but I think I want to see some new stuff before they go back to Persona 3 again, unless they're doing P5 and P3 Perfect at the same time. :3

Moonlight

Banned
Going back to the older games is great and all, but I think I want to see some new stuff before they go back to Persona 3 again, unless they're doing P5 and P3 Perfect at the same time. :3
The team that was working on P4G have to be doing something now!

Omikaru

The team that was working on P4G have to be doing something now!

I think with the way Atlus works outside of the team that makes Persona games, it's generally accepted that teams form as and when they're needed to do a project, so it's just as likely that the P4G team split up to work on multiple other projects. I think.

Or they could be perfecting Persona 3, which would be awesome. :D

jaxword

On another note, I know logically that P5 will be set in a random highschool in Japan with a group of 15 and 16 year olds just trying to find themselves getting caught up in demon hijinks but...God I really want it not to be set in a random high school. While I understand that it's a good point to capture the insecurities that the themes of the games explore, it's not the only pivotal time in life, and after spending a lot of time with both 3 and 4, though I love them, and they are some of my favorite games, it add almost an air of superficiality concerning a lot of the issues the games deal with. Even a university setting would feel more fresh, as the characters wouldn't be so tied to the idea that "life = school", and there are more locales to be explored in depth, perhaps meeting more unusual characters in different situations. Mostly I became exausted sometime halfway through Arena. Beyond the ages/setting/maturity of the main gangm I was really pleasantly surprised about both Kanji and Naoto's internal struggles in P4, and almost as disappointed when they ended up being *wink nod* situations or "left up to the imagination."

Asking for JRPGS to not be aimed at teenage audiences is sort of futile. They always have and always will be the target audience.

Back then, every little thing in high school really WAS world-shattering. I remember it, don't you?

Meia

Asking for JRPGS to not be aimed at teenage audiences is sort of futile. They always have and always will be the target audience.

Back then, every little thing in high school really WAS world-shattering. I remember it, don't you?

While this is true, I think the cast of 4, considering how much Atlus is pimping them out anyway, coupled with the cliff-hangers of Arena, is the perfect way to finally give us a college setting for a Persona game. Can imagine another game with Yu at university, continuing Arena's idea. Some make it into the college, some don't, so you have some new cast members, but some old fan favorites. Or have it be a new Fool with some of the 4 cast in University or something(P2:IS spoilers
Kind of how Yukino shows up in the beginning of IS, almost as a mentor to the new group of kids just finding out about Personas
).

On point, nah, nothing in high school for me was world-shattering, but I had a crappy HS life. My moments like that came long after. Just because you cross the threshold to "adulthood" doesn't mean that there aren't any revelations or things of that nature to be had, or massive changes to your psyche for that matter either.

Mine is not foodbased!

?

Jintor

It might be that high school is more world-shattering in Japanese society or something. Probably related to how the only manga/anime set in a uni that I've seen is Genshiken, I think. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

I'd have thought it'd be a shoe-in though... the schedule is way cleaner. None of this wake-up go-to-school save-the-world-after-class nonsense. Although I did always enjoy the Digidestined's trips to the Digital World after school back in Adventures 02.

Meia

Maybe that's the real reason. When you get out of high school, you no longer have a strict schedule you MUST adhere to, you kind of decide on your own. Would make things like Slinks really complicated if all of your friends have classes at different times.

Hell, even the idea of an "after school dungeon" wouldn't work that well as people would be unavailable during different days. The same high school schedule just makes it easier from a game design perspective.

cj_iwakura

Yuko was the best social link.

I agree that it would've been really easy to just make P3F's social links into forced lesbian romps, and Atlus deserve credit for not falling into the trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom