• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Naoto's shadows revolved almost entirely around "the procedure" to transform her into a man. The big revelation during Naoto's rescue is that she's was in fact, a woman. So I don't see how you can chalk that up solely to 'the shadow was lying'. Mean, no one says "Oh Chie doesn't really think those things about Yukiko, it was just her shadow trying to antagonise her!" The only time this excuse comes up is with Naoto and Kanji because it sends very mixed and potentially troubling messages.

The whole point of the shadow confrontations, and they things they said was the characters confronting their inner struggles/things they were rejecting. Could it just be a gender roles thing? Of course, but these things shouldn't be left up to interpretation within a story

You're massively misinterpreting the imagery. You're looking at it literally, which isn't how Soejima's art works. You're saying "Well, this is conveyed as a gender change operation so it's obviously about gender confusion", right? But this is wrong. Kanji isn't an incredibly effeminate homosexual and Rise isn't a stripper.

The operation is to cut out the parts of her that she doesn't want, because maybe if she did that, if she was born as a man, then she'd be taken seriously as herself, and her shadow's true form as a robot symbolises the childish idea that she can hide behind a stoic, robotic facade in order to be taken seriously. Her other form is a child in a labcoat because she's a child playing make-believe that she's an adult. She's afraid of admitting that she's a woman because she doesn't want to be looked down upon by the sexist way that the police department is run. It has nothing to do with gender confusion. It has to do with sexism in the workplace.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Edit: I'm black. I guess that needs to be stated.
oh
---
You're massively misinterpreting the imagery. You're looking at it literally, which isn't how Soejima's art works. You're saying "Well, this is conveyed as a gender change operation so it's obviously about gender confusion", right? But this is wrong. Kanji isn't an incredibly effeminate homosexual and Rise isn't a stripper.

The operation is to cut out the parts of her that she doesn't want, because maybe if she did that, if she was born as a man, then she'd be taken seriously as herself, and her shadow's true form as a robot symbolises the childish idea that she can hide behind a stoic, robotic facade in order to be taken seriously. Her other form is a child in a labcoat because she's a child playing make-believe that she's an adult. She's afraid of admitting that she's a woman because she doesn't want to be looked down upon by the sexist way that the police department is run. It has nothing to do with gender confusion. It has to do with sexism in the workplace.
if only that was the only hint there was

(cools off)

Yeah i'm done too.

No point in having discussion with someone who treats us like naive children, as if we don't know any better.

======

ANYWAY

tumblr_mnqi74o1XT1rzkxhio4_250.gif

Here, have some happy music to lift your spirits. Your complimentary friend cupcakes shall be delivered the next time I'm in Ottawa.

Sophia

*blinks*

Well I'm glad I was playing Guild Wars 2 when all of that went down. Although I don't think there can be much racism involved when you're talking about an NPC who has less than page of dialogue. All of which is probably an invention of the locaization. :p

Squire

Banned
*blinks*

Well I'm glad I was playing Guild Wars 2 when all of that went down. Although I don't think there can be much racism involved when you're talking about an NPC who has less than page of dialogue. All of which is probably an invention of the locaization. :p

I have considered this.

Like I said, it's not like I love the game any less!

Not sure how I feel about funky student. My friend called me and was was like "look at that this nonsense bro". We weren't seriously offended (we were laughing our ass off). Mark from P1 though..... that guy can fuck off.

Squire

Banned
I'm playing BlazBlue on the Vita. S'pretty good. Smooth transition from P4A.

Hey, Dantis, what do you think of the art/presentation? It's, like, all over the place. @.@

Levito

Banned
You're massively misinterpreting the imagery.[/b] You're looking at it literally, which isn't how Soejima's art works. You're saying "Well, this is conveyed as a gender change operation so it's obviously about gender confusion", right? But this is wrong. Kanji isn't an incredibly effeminate homosexual and Rise isn't a stripper.

It can be interpreted in a wide variety of ways as I already said and acknowledged the POV you share. That's not the problem, the things P4 leaves up to your imagination shouldn't be left up to your imagination.

And yes Dantis, I'm aware of what symbolism is. The rest of my post you quoted addressed the larger issues with Naoto's arc/slink. :p

I think so yeah. I remember reading a pretty good analysis on the connection between the nature of the TV world and the Izanagi myth, but I can't recall it.
I'd like to see that. Maybe it was something along the lines of by looking back at their wives they have to face the truth and accept that they're dead in order to move forward?
I hope P5 uses something other than Asian/Greek pantheons for inspiration. Let's go all in on Indian or Egyptian mythos next pls.
They probably will, there are already personas from those myths, and Greek and Japanese deities/mythological figures were the themes of the playable characters' personas in P3 and P4 respectively, so I can see them going with something different for P5.

Dantis

I'm playing BlazBlue on the Vita. S'pretty good. Smooth transition from P4A.

Hey, Dantis, what do you think of the art/presentation? It's, like, all over the place. @.@

It's a really weird game. The designs are wildly inconsistent, the HUD is a shambles (Though I say the same about Arena, keep in mind) and the story past the first game is gibberish.

I actually played through the entire first game (And about 100 online matches) under the impression that the whole project was a parody, and I was laughing along with it. It was only when I saw what people were saying about it online that I realised it was serious.

I enjoy the gameplay a lot though. It's probably my favourite 2D fighter.

Sophia

Isn't this Funky in P4A?

Correct. Like I said, he's just a silly teenager with an afro. :p

As for Naoto, the game is blatantly clear that her issues is sexism in the workforce. It's stated plain as day when you beat her shadow.

Yukiko Castle. I mean Im just getting murdered. Ive died at least 10 times in the last 2 hours.

Make sure you're acquiring and fusing Personas. Your own protagonist's level means nothing if you're level 15 and still equipped with a Level 5 Persona, as the stats are determined by the Persona. Don't fear fusion either, go at it and experiement, as there's no real penalty for doing so and the system is designed to let you just toss and go.

Astra

I'd recommend grinding a little and taking note of enemy weaknesses. As long as you make the dungeon a first priority you'll be fine.

Yeah pretty much all you need to do, really. Get to maybe level 12-14 and you should be fine.
Also fuse a persona with a resistance to fire if you can.

Guys, GUYS....

The Wrath of Khan is still the best Star Trek movie. That is all.

Yup. First Contact comes pretty close though, and I really friggin liked Into Darkness and don't think it deserves the amount of the hate it gets. The only part that warrants vitrol is the ending, and even that is more disappointing and lazy than painful or deal-breaking.

Levito

Banned
As for Naoto, the game is blatantly clear that her issues is sexism in the workforce. It's stated plain as day when you beat her shadow.

And my response yet again is:

im-glad-youre-a-girl.png

Already explained the issue, and it's largely Atlus skewing things and spending mixed messages.

Sophia

And my response yet again is:

Already explained the issue, and it's largely Atlus skewing things and spending mixed messages.

That's you looking for something that's not there and taken out of context. :p

All that image is, is the scene where you determine if it's a lovers route (first choice) or a friendship route (second choice), no more.

Levito

Banned
That's you looking for something that's not there and taken out of context. :p

All that image is, is the scene where you determine if it's a lovers route (first choice) or a friendship route (second choice), no more.

It'snot taken out of context, I've already explained the issue with deciding a person's identity for them repeatedly.

But hey if you want blatant transphobia from Atlus:

Persona-3-Beach-Scene.png

Squire

Banned
It's a really weird game. The designs are wildly inconsistent, the HUD is a shambles (Though I say the same about Arena, keep in mind) and the story past the first game is gibberish.

I actually played through the entire first game (And about 100 online matches) under the impression that the whole project was a parody, and I was laughing along with it. It was only when I saw what people were saying about it online that I realised it was serious.

I enjoy the gameplay a lot though. It's probably my favourite 2D fighter.

Yeah, we're on the same page, basically. It's like, I like it and it's great mechanically, but I found myself asking, "Would I actually spend money on one of these?"

just like halo 4

I like Halo 4 :'(

Levito

Banned
Was altered in P3P because they realized how offensive it was. Seriously dude... :\

Which proves that Atlus is in fact, not exactly overtly sensitive with these sort of things. ;)

Neither side is going to budge on this, so again, why don't we just move on?

Yup. First Contact comes pretty close though, and I really friggin liked Into Darkness and don't think it deserves the amount of the hate it gets. The only part that warrants vitrol is the ending, and even that is more disappointing and lazy than painful or deal-breaking.

First Contact was pretty awful, it's got some solid acting from Patrick Stewart and some good special effects, but the plot is horrible.

Into Darkness was really enjoyable, but it's a big dumb summer movie that rely's on nostalgia and not much else.

Sophia

Which proves that Atlus is in fact, not exactly overtly sensitive with these sort of things. ;)

I imagine they don't care too much about the opinions of someone on the internet overreacting to a minor NPC that's not even nearly as offensive as a lot of modern day television. :p

How do you feel about Catherine's Erica?

I haven't fully played Catherine, but I wasn't aware there being too much offensive about Erica?

Trigger

How do you feel about Catherine's Erica?

I was initially annoyed by how Vincent and gang treat her once I learned the truth, but I've mellowed out now. In hindsight Vincent's sometimes cruel jokes just seem like ribbing between friends.

BTW: Why do we always ignore Jun and Tatsuya when discussing LGBT things in Persona? lol, poor things never get brought up.

Dantis

It'snot taken out of context, I've already explained the issue with deciding a person's identity for them repeatedly.

But hey if you want blatant transphobia from Atlus:

Persona-3-Beach-Scene.png

If this bothers you then sitcoms like Scrubs and Arrested Development must really get under your skin. ;)

Yeah, we're on the same page, basically. It's like, I like it and it's great mechanically, but I found myself asking, "Would I actually spend money on one of these?"

I like Halo 4 :'(

Haha, I bought all three of them! I haven't played the stories past the first game though, I just play with my brothers.

And I liked Halo 4's single player, but didn't like the multiplayer. My one criticism of the game as a whole is that it was really fucking safe.

PK Gaming

We're all treated the way we are based on our actions, but I'm open to a truce if you are. I'm here to make friends, not enemies.

Sure thing man

images

I'm sorry I got defensive. When I think that someone is looking down on me, I get super insecure and start to freak out. You're absolutely right though, PersonaGAF is the best freaking community ever and we shouldn't fight amongst each other.

Yukiko Castle. I mean Im just getting murdered. Ive died at least 10 times in the last 2 hours.

I'd recommend buying some Goho-Ms so you can warp out of the dungeon and save more often, if you're not already doing so. Other than that it's just fuse and battle.

Also is 'Direct Commands' the default option for party members in Golden? I thought it was weird it wasn't in original P4. Made battles easier once I realised you could do that.

Squire

Banned
I imagine they don't care too much about the opinions of someone on the internet overreacting to a minor NPC that's not even nearly as offensive as a lot of modern day television. :p

I do hope this isn't referring to me. :(

Sure thing man

images

I'm sorry I got defensive. When I think that someone is looking down on me, I get super insecure and start to freak out. You're absolutely right though, PersonaGAF is the best freaking community ever and we shouldn't fight amongst each other.

S'alright, brother. I couldn't agree more and I apologize as well.

All the drama!
All the discourse!
PersonaGAF!

Hey, how many posts until we're pushed to [OT2]?

Sophia

I do hope this isn't referring to me. :(

It's not. I mean it in a general sense.

If this bothers you then sitcoms like Scrubs and Arrested Development must really get under your skin. ;)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too when you mentioned it. It's not in the greatest of tastes, but it's hardly outright offensive. The NPC might even be a transvestite rather than a transsexual.

Dantis

Sure thing man

images

THIS HAS PULLED US APART.

BUT PERSONA 5 WILL BRING US TOGETHER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom