• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Contact was pretty awful, it's got some solid acting from Patrick Stewart and some good special effects, but the plot is horrible.

Into Darkness was really enjoyable, but it's a big dumb summer movie that rely's on nostalgia and not much else.

To be fair, there isn't a Star Trek movie out there that has a good plot, so it's all relative. Even the awesomeness that is Wrath of Khan is a pretty bog-standard revenge story that happened to have a really great ending (so basically the opposite of Into Darkness in that respect).

Out of curiosity, what's your favourite series of Star Trek? I'm a TNG man myself, but it was the series I grew up watching so nostalgia probably affects my bias.

Moonlight

Banned
Man, speaking of, you guys should have remembered to ask Erin a bit about Erica and how it was like playing her.

...or I should have remembered to submit a question to that effect.

Levito

Banned
If this bothers you then sitcoms like Scrubs and Arrested Development must really get under your skin. ;)

Scubs is terrible and I've never seen Arrested Developement. ;)

Though that's not exactly a good defense, more speaks to how popular culture shits all over LGBT people all the time.

How do you feel about Catherine's Erica?

I haven't played Catherine since it came out, and at that time I never got the ending where you find out Erica is Trans. All the men in the game are pretty transphobic towards her, but they're all assholes to begin with. Character's within a story are not mouthpieces for the creator's, so Catherine doesn't run into the same issues P4 does. Naoto's situation is entirely different.

Everyone here seems to think that this is a us vs them discussion. It's not, that's what I've been saying from the beginning, there's evidence for a multitude of perspectives on Naoto when there shouldn't be.

And I'm done.

Also, cj! That's The Voyage Home, one of the best Trek movies IMO.

I was initially annoyed by how Vincent and gang treat her once I learned the truth, but I've mellowed out now. In hindsight Vincent's sometimes cruel jokes just seem like ribbing between friends.

BTW: Why do we always ignore Jun and Tatsuya when discussing LGBT things in Persona? lol, poor things never get brought up.

And it's true! Vincent treats her like one of them, and they all rib on each other!

And no one talks about Tatsuya and Jun because persona 2 is a shit game no one played silly! A poor prequel to make after the outstanding persona 3 and 4. still don't get why they started the series with 3 though!

Squire

Banned
Isn't it 20,000?
I love how active the Persona community is with so few members. Passion!

Yep!

Man, speaking of, you guys should have remembered to ask Erin a bit about Erica and how it was like playing her.

You should have!

She did say she felt the game was "too preachy" in it's message, which I found interesting.

Astra

Scubs is terrible and I've never seen Arrested Developement. ;)

Though that's not exactly a good defense, more speaks to how popular culture shits all over LGBT people all the time.

I haven't played Catherine since it came out, and at that time I never got the ending where you find out Erica is Trans. All the men in the game are pretty transphobic towards her, but they're all assholes to begin with. Character's within a story are not mouthpieces for the creator's, so Catherine doesn't run into the same issues P4 does. Naoto's situation is entirely different.

Everyone here seems to think that this is a us vs them discussion. It's not, that's what I've been saying from the beginning, there's evidence for a multitude of perspectives on Naoto when there shouldn't be.

And I'm done.

Also, cj! That's The Journey Home, one of the best Trek movies IMO.

3470664406_453c191ea2.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but how can you say that with scenes like this!? :O

and scenes like this!

I already have 500 questions lined up for when Laura Bailey inevitably comes on so I don't miss anything (about 100 of them are VLR related :lol).

Just as a warning, I'm planning a hostile takeover of the podcast when the fated day arrives; Armada-style. ALL SHALL FEEL THE EXTEND OF MY FANBOYISM!

Squire

Banned
I already have 500 questions lined up for when Laura Bailey inevitably comes on so I don't miss anything (about 100 of them are VLR related :lol).

Just as a warning, I'm planning a hostile takeover of the podcast when the fated day arrives; Armada-style. ALL SHALL FEEL THE EXTEND OF MY FANBOYISM!

Erin said Laura and her husband were really busy, which makes sense when you consider Laura is in every game that comes out.

Levito

Banned
To be fair, there isn't a Star Trek movie out there that has a good plot, so it's all relative. Even the awesomeness that is Wrath of Khan is a pretty bog-standard revenge story that happened to have a really great ending (so basically the opposite of Into Darkness in that respect).

Out of curiosity, what's your favourite series of Star Trek? I'm a TNG man myself, but it was the series I grew up watching so nostalgia probably affects my bias.

I disagree, The Undiscovered Country, and Wrath of Khan's are excellent. Something can be overdone and still be great, it's all about presentation. Quentin Tarantino even said Wrath of Khan was one of the best revenge films ever.

First Contact is terrible mostly because it demystified the Borg, made no sense at all, and started the tradition of Picard acting nothing like his TV show counterpart.

TNG is my favorite TV series as well, with Deep Space Nine closely behind.

Sophia

I disagree, The Undiscovered Country, and Wrath of Khan's are excellent. Something can be overdone and still be great, it's all about presentation. Quentin Tarantino even said Wrath of Khan was one of the best revenge films ever.

First Contact is terrible mostly because it demystified the Borg, made no sense at all, and started the tradition of Picard acting nothing like his TV show counterpart.

Wrath of Khan is still my favorite. The cinematography is excellent in it and it makes fantastic use of it's 2.35 : 1 aspect ratio.

I will fight you with my fists and hands for that right.

You want that right?

Go ahead.

*eyetwitch* Take it from me.

7357i.jpg

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in this respect then. I'll give First Contact another watch so I can properly critique it (I haven't seen it in five years), but I don't recall it making no sense.

At least we're on the same page in regards to this :)

cjkeats

He's a good actor, too! Travis Willingham.

Looking at his credit list I only recognize a few of his roles, but he was good in them! Roy Mustang from FMA and K from VLR specifically.

It's okay because Travis Willingham is equally awesome and hilarious IRL to boot (seriously, check out his and Troy Baker's Twitter shenanigans).

If he wasn't though... *sharpens knife idly*

I don;t follow him, but I follow Troy. Troy is great. One of the only dudes I swoon over.

Levito

Banned
And no one talks about Tatsuya and Jun because persona 2 is a shit game no one played silly! A poor prequel to make after the outstanding persona 3 and 4. still don't get why they started the series with 3 though!

We talked about P2's characters, and everything else discussed today on the podcast. ;D (P2 had different writers according to Iwakura)

To clarify: I'm not saying Atlus are the westboro baptist church of gaming far from it. It's good that they even acknowledge the existence of LGBT people, many gaming companies don't(hell most don't even acknowledge women). They just struggle with some things. :)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in this respect then. I'll give First Contact another watch so I can properly critique it (I haven't seen it in five years), but I don't recall it making no sense.

IE: If the Borg's goal was to go back in time and stop First Contact, why they have to fly right up to Earth fight the Federation? Why not just go back in time in some uninhabited region of space and THEN fly to Earth?

Also, why stop First contact? Why not fly back to the 1940's and assimilate earth then? :p

cj_iwakura

OT2 | Eternal Punishment.

(Did you ever even play more of it, Dantis? :( I've at least beaten Maken X repeatedly.)

And phew, Under Defeat beaten. And the extra mode.

cj_iwakura

Re: Persona 2's writing, it was written by Satomi Tadashi, who no longer works at Atlus. He came back to write new scenarios for IS and EP PSP, and in thanks, no one played them. :(

And yes, First Contact is the best ST film.

Meia

I'm both sad I missed a lot of the discussion, and yet happy I did. Weird.

I confess though...

....I've never seen any of the original Star Trek movies, only the remakes. I was a Star Wars fan.
COME AT ME BRO. :p

All the TNG movies suck, especially Generations!

Generations was trashy nonsense.

I really liked First Contact.

Insurrection was boring and dumb.

Nemesis at least had Tom Hardy and the epic space jump, but Data's pointless, meaningless, awful death makes it the worst one.

Dantis

OT2 | Eternal Punishment.

(Did you ever even play more of it, Dantis? :( I've at least beaten Maken X repeatedly.)

Did the Sky Museum or whatever it's called, was really enjoying it, haven't played it since.

No idea why not.

I'm really digging the True Sequel one

Same here, that one is excellent.

I like this too.

I think we have a winner, then. ;)

Any updates anyone would want to see in the OP? Maybe I could put something in about the upcoming P3 movie or whatever.

Sophia

I think we have a winner, then. ;)

Any updates anyone would want to see in the OP? Maybe I could put something in about the upcoming P3 movie or whatever.

All I can see is adding a section for adaptations (P3 the Movie, P4 the animation) due to their relevance and apparent canonical status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom