• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

Ohh, Guild Wars 2 is $39.99 at GMG but it's "out of stock".
Hopefully they get more, since it'll be nice to have a couple more of my friends join in. Having just two of us hardly constitutes a party, and it would be nice to have some permanent party members.

Squire

Banned
Tidus = Anakin.

Both stories focus on these characters when they are not, in fact, actually the main characters. As Turnip pointed out, the main character would be closer to Yuna, but even then, it's kind of a mix as to who they wanted the main character to be.

Both trended to use excessive GCI dazzle in place of a solid story, and most scenes are pretty frivolous and exist only for square to show off a pretty little cutscene that their team created.

Ultimately, no, FFX is not as bad as The Phantom Menace. And I understand that a lot of people really like the story of X. But really, the story is all over the place because some creative egos went a little out of control.

EDIT: Also, I'm on the law side, with all the assholery that implies.

I don't agree with any of this. X was beautiful yes, but it's plot was meaningful. Tidus is the main character and that's perfectly clear. It's a story about his growth, which is a direct result of his accompanying Yuna on her journey. It isn't like FFXII where the game never really decides who it's about. Tidus is your window into that world and you learn about it gradually as he does and reflect on it as he does in his narration. The game is explicit: "Listen to my story."

FFX is about faith, responsibility, the burden one can find placed on them do their lineage, and how humanity is prone to fall into cycles - how dangerous they are and how difficult they are to break.

And more. And all that is clear. I'm not sure which game you played.

Lunar15

I don't agree with any of this. X was beautiful yes, but it's plot was meaningful. Tidus is the main character and that's perfectly clear. It's a story about his growth, which is a direct result of his accompanying Yuna on her journey. It isn't like FFXII where the game never really decides who it's about. Tidus is your window into that world and you learn about it gradually as he does and reflect on it as he does in his narration. The game is explicit: "Listen to my story."

FFX is about faith, responsibility, the burden one can find placed on them do their lineage, and how humanity is prone to fall into cycles - how dangerous they are and how difficult they are to break.

And more. And all that is clear. I'm not sure which game you played.

But therein lies my issue: it's not his story. The fact that he even says that bothers me more. Tidus makes no changes to his life, nor do his choices have an impact on the game. He's a supporting character to Yuna at best. Ultimately, it's Yuna who makes the decisions and undergoes a change. The main character would have been Yuna if not for the fact that they had to have a marketable, male protagonist with spiky gold hair to sell the game.

But even then, Yuna's story is kinda flawed too. She makes some weird, baffling decisions that serve no purpose other than to move the story on to the next pretty cut scene where people grind down some rails. And also, none of those themes were all that clear to me, because none of them actually were in the story other than weird vague implications.

I understand you have a fondness for the story. And that's fine. It's okay to enjoy the themes of a story, but that doesn't necessarily mean the story itself is well written. FFXII Does also have the same problem. It's interesting you pointed it out.

Keep in mind, though: I have many problems with FFX, story being the least of them. I'm probably the last person you'd want to talk to about this, especially if you loved the game.

Levito

Banned
I haven't played Final Fantasy X since I was in like the 9th grade, so I can't comment on it well. It's one of the reasons the re-release is so appealing.

A story doesn't need to have a single protagonist, there such thing an an ensemble cast. Homeland is exceptionally well written and it revolves around the lives of 2 characters. I seem to remember FFX took at similar approach, but again it's been a very long time.

The Phantom Menace's problem isn't just that is doesn't have a protagonist, it's that there isn't even one suggested. You can't even make the case for Anakin because he show's up 45 mins into the movie, and most of what's going on is beyond his control or understanding. Hell, he accidentally wins a fucking battle for them.

Sophia

I haven't played Final Fantasy X since I was in like the 9th grade, so I can't comment on it well. It's one of the reasons the re-release is so appealing.

A story doesn't need to have a single protagonist, there such thing an an ensemble cast. Homeland is exceptionally well written and it revolves around the lives of 2 characters. I seem to remember FFX took at similar approach, but again it's been a very long time.

You know what other game has a fantastic example of an ensemble cast? Final Fantasy VI. :p

Thought I would have seen this mentioned here, but they're making an anime of the first Devil Survivor.

Where did you see that at? I don't see it on Anime News Network yet...

Sophia

Maybe it's me misinterpreting a translation, but it's from Atlus_JP. It might be talking about something else, since no one else has reported it?

They're talking about the Devil Survivor manga there, at least in the Tweet.

"Volume 2 of the Monthly Shounen Sirius , Devil Survivor, to be released on June 7th...." and then it goes into a description. Nothing about a TV series.

(Monthly Shounen Sirius is the magazine in which the Devil Survivor 1 manga adaptation runs in.)

Levito

Banned
You know what other game has a fantastic example of an ensemble cast? Final Fantasy VI. :p

That's a game I've been meaning to play for a long time, though I have a feeling it's going to be ruined for me because of the way it's evangelised. Firefly levels of annoying fandom.

Ok nothing is as overrated and trashy as Firefly.

FluxWaveZ

They're talking about the Devil Survivor manga there, at least in the Tweet.

"Volume 2 of the Monthly Shounen Sirius , Devil Survivor, to be released on June 7th...." and then it goes into a description. Nothing about a TV series.

That makes more sense then. False alarm! Maybe akin to the Persona 4 -> Persona 3 animations, there will eventually be an anime of the first DS, but maybe not.

That's a game I've been meaning to play for a long time, though I have a feeling it's going to be ruined for me because of the way it's evangelised. Firefly levels of annoying fandom.

Ok nothing is as overrated and trashy as Firefly.

FFIV is pretty overrated, in my opinion. It's got some strong plot beats and a good cast, but the setting is kinda bleh (CAVES. EVERYWHERE) and the gameplay can be obtuse at times (don't get too attached to a few of your party members, because they can die if you don't know how to prevent it!).

Still a good game, but I personally prefer FFIX.

Also I quite enjoy Firefly and Serenity and the works of Jose Whedon in general.

Sophia

FFIV is pretty overrated, in my opinion. It's got some strong plot beats and a good cast, but the setting is kinda bleh (CAVES. EVERYWHERE) and the gameplay can be obtuse at times (don't get too attached to a few of your party members, because they can die if you don't know how to prevent it!).

Not that I entirely disagree with your opinion, but wrong Final Fantasy. VI, not IV.:p

Not that I entirely disagree with your opinion, but wrong Final Fantasy. VI, not IV.:p

Derp. I meant to type VI, that's the one I was talking about. Good game, but my opinion probably would've been higher had I not been let down by the hype.

The only thing of Whedon's I really enjoyed was Cabin in the Woods.

Haven't seen the Avengers.

You didn't like Dollhouse, Buffy, or Dr. Horrible?!

Please tell me you at least liked Toy Story D:

Marche90

Avengers is awesome. Haven't seen the other one.

Also, about that image that was tweeted... The picture in the second magazine makes me think about it, even if they don't mention anything about it in the tweet (I can't see a 2 in the title, and they mentioned TVアニメ...) If it is, we'll hear more about it later.

Although considering how they are handling DS2TA, I'm not too hopeful. I'm in if Kishi isn't involved, though.

PK Gaming

That makes more sense then. False alarm! Maybe akin to the Persona 4 -> Persona 3 animations, there will eventually be an anime of the first DS, but maybe not.

God I hope so. I liked the DS1 universe more than the DS2 universe, and I think it would make for a better anime.

ScraftyDevil said:
FFVI is pretty overrated, in my opinion. It's got some strong plot beats and a good cast, but the setting is kinda bleh (CAVES. EVERYWHERE) and the gameplay can be obtuse at times (don't get too attached to a few of your party members, because they can die if you don't know how to prevent it!).

Also I quite enjoy Firefly and Serenity and the works of Jose Whedon in general.

I agree completeeeeeeeeely. FFVI is good, but insanely overrated.

Dantis

Dollhouse and Firefly are absolutely amazing, and Cabin In The Woods is very good.

I haven't seen Buffy but noticed earlier that it's on Netflix now, so I might give it a watch.

Alien Resurrection

Francis Ford Coppola made Jack. Let's not judge an individual's entire career based on their one major screwup.

That said, Alien Resurrection is ghastly (second-worst in the franchise) and Whedon acts like a whiny baby whenever someone brings it up. Still, Buffy, Firefly, Dr. Horrible, Dollhouse, Cabin in the Woods, The Avengers, and especially Toy Story are all great in my book. I can't wait to see Much Ado About Nothing and Agents of SHIELD as well.

Levito

Banned
Bioware wishes they could make something that was the Citizen Kane of gaming. Instead they make laughably bad WoW clones.

Francis Ford Coppola made Jack. Let's not judge an individual's entire career based on their one major screwup.

I don't, here's the Whedon stuff I've seen:

Cabin in the woods
Firefly
Buffy (First 5 seasons)
Angel(Bits and pieces)
Alien: Resurrection
Toy Story
Titan A.E.

Aside from Resurrection, none of those are bad. None of it was particularly interesting to me though.

Sophia

Bioware wishes they could make something that was the Citizen Kane of gaming. Instead they make laughably bad WoW clones.

That's an insult to WoW clones. Unless you mean the first Dragon Age.

As an aside, I can't wait to get my arcade stick. My hand hurts now. x_X

That apology was the Citizen Kane of PersonaGAF apologies man. *Brohugs*

tumblr_lc96gmOMoc1qdizbso1_400_thumb.jpg

Astra

Talking about The Old Republic, Dragon Age was the last truly great game Bioware made.

To be fair to bioware though, they got bought out by EA.

I just recently finished Dragon Age Origins. Loved it!
Still have to play through Awakening, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom