• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
HEc81iP.jpg

Jintor

Oh i'll still be here. I enjoy all your company
even turnip
. I just don't really have a lot to say about Persona really

Squire

Banned
Oh i'll still be here. I enjoy all your company
even turnip
. I just don't really have a lot to say about Persona really

Eh, don't worry. We argue the same issues ad nauseum and give impressions of the things we're actually playing :p

Next week this will be the Persona Community Thread: Stealth E3 discussion/Last Of Us mini-OT

Levito

Banned
So apparently The Last Of Us is ok.

It's almost as bad as Bioshock Infinite, and will surely never touch any indie title released ever. It's a damaging game that misses every mark with regards EVERY social issue ever, and anyone that likes it should be ashamed. This medium is dead, fuck videogames.

-Every blog a week after the game comes out

Dantis

It's almost as bad as Bioshock Infinite, and will surely never touch any indie title released ever. It's a damaging game that misses every mark with regards EVERY social issue ever, and anyone that likes it should be ashamed. This medium is dead, fuck videogames.

I'm so excited. Can't believe it isn't out for another ten days.

Also, fuck Polygon.

Hey when/where did you get my diary.

Levito

Banned
Honestly, I don't care about the review scores. Always knew it was going to be a great game, a lot of these statement are hyperbole though I'm sure.

Whenever "Citizen Kane" gets thrown around, you know the hype has gotten to them. lol

Squire

Banned
Honestly, I don't care about the review scores. Always knew it was going to be a great game, a lot of these statement are hyperbole though I'm sure.

Whenever "Citizen Kane" gets thrown around, you know the hype has gotten to them. lol

It's actually not that bad, other than that quote in particular. People are saying it's an achievement. I think that's pretty grounded.

I'm with Dantis. I can't believe it's this close and E3 is inbetween. These are some exciting times we live in.

Dantis

In regards to Polygon, I just felt that the words in the text didn't match the score, and that always annoys me (Or rather, relative to games that I have an interest in).

In terms of being happy that it's getting all these tens... who doesn't want to see a developer that they love releasing what seems like an incredibly interesting product and getting high praise for it?

It's actually not that bad, other than that quote in particular. People are saying it's an achievement. I think that's pretty grounded.

I'm with Dantis. I can't believe it's this close and E3 is inbetween. These are some exciting times we live in.

Most exciting E3 in years, too. Last year sucked.

GulAtiCa

I resisted re-playing Persona 3: Portable for the longest time, but now my itch to play the game again is too great. I used one of my end-game saves with max levels/etc and restarted a new game +. I'm going to try to get all max social links this time around. My last run through, I messed up and got very close.

I think I must of spent over 300 hours into this game (including P3:FES). Hearing Laura Bailey & Michelle Ruff in same game is awesome. (those 2 are among my favorite voice actors)

Young Magus

Last year's E3 was a huge bummer, only good to come out of it was all those gif.

In regards to the reviews for the Last of Us, I'll wait till I hear hands-on impressions from GAF. With any AAA game, seems like most outlets hype it up like there's no tomorrow, so I'll wait till the hype dies down to check on opinions.

Squire

Banned
Most exciting E3 in years, too. Last year sucked.

I thought last year was cool! E3 excites me in varying degrees. I'm very unlikely to walk away disappointed ^_^

Last year's E3 was a huge bummer, only good to come out of it was all those gif.

In regards to the reviews for the Last of Us, I'll wait till I hear hands-on impressions from GAF. With any AAA game, seems like most outlets hype it up like there's no tomorrow, so I'll wait till the hype dies down to check on opinions.

This perspective is so funny to me. It's like whenever an exceptionally well-reviewed game is released, people forget the weeks upon weeks of stuff that did not in fact get the same praise.

We just came off middling/mixed reviews for FUSE and Remember Me. So that's two examples right there inside two weeks that the press did not love. The former from a very well-liked team.

The press does not eat up everything AAA. It's a massive misnomer.

Lunar15

I just get skeptical when I see so many reviewers heralding a game for being this "cinematic masterpiece".

I have no doubt it will be a solid game. I think naughty dog has earned that trust. But I don't buy into the massive hype surrounding reviews of games that try to position their PR around the fact that it's more than a game, it's an "event". It's become this weird trend where games that purport to have an emotional focus outside of guns and explosions get a "score bump" from *trying* to do that. Which is neat, but I have to see for myself if the game actually explores any meaningful themes or just sprinkles some "topical issues" in there for good measure. If games want be movies, I'll judge them against movies, which have a much larger history of stories that really have pushed the line in terms of emotional storytelling. I judge game stories far more on how the gameplay reinforces the story's themes than how good the "story" is within the cutscenes. (this is a huge reason I love Persona, keeping things on topic)

Have I agreed with hyperbole before? Yeah, I totally have. Some games do deserve all the praise they get. Infinite and GTA IV just killed my ability to take part in that initial hype, regardless of what game it is. Even games that I, myself, are intensely hyped for.

tl;dr: I'm happy for Naughty Dog and expect the game to be solid, but I'm so just so jaded about game reviews right now.

GulAtiCa

I thought last E3 was ok. but I think what made a lot of the conferences disappointing, was their big games were revealed or leaked beforehand. I did love Ubisoft's E3 press conference though.

Guys, my wallet is crying.

The Last of Us in June, SMTIV and Project X Zone in July, Saints Row IV and M&L Dream Team in August, Kingdom Hearts HD and Wonderful 101 in September, Pokémon and likely Phoenix Wright in October, and then PS4 in the following months...

Why can't I buy all these games?

Squire

Banned
I just get skeptical when I see so many reviewers heralding a game for being this "cinematic masterpiece".

Just curious: Have you read this in an actual review of TLOU? Or is this perspective you bring to the table based on the reception of Uncharted or other AAA games? Because I have yet to see someone call TLOU a cinematic masterpiece. It's being described in broader terms, because it isn't the sort of roller coaster ride like Uncharted. There's a lot more going on there than just spectacle.

Lunar15

Just curious: Have you read this in an actual review of TLOU? Or is this perspective you bring to the table based on the reception of Uncharted or other AAA games? Because I have yet to see someone call TLOU a cinematic masterpiece. It's being described in broader terms, because it isn't the sort of roller coaster ride like Uncharted. There's a lot more going on there than just spectacle.

I saw a "citizen kane" thrown out there. Not that this is an indication of all reviews, no. Nor does it mean that these reviewers are "wrong". I'm just saying that when this stuff happens, I personally step back from the hyperbole and take it to mean "ok the game is playable and probably worth your time", and reserve full judgement till I play it myself. It was just a long way of saying that I don't like getting wrapped up in the hype anymore.

In general, I read reviews after I play a game, to read it from the perspective of "oh, what did this guy get out of the game, and what angle did he see that I didn't". I also do this for movies.

Squire

Banned
I saw a "citizen kane" thrown out there. Not that this is an indication of all reviews, no. Nor does it mean that these reviewers are "wrong". I'm just saying that when this stuff happens, I personally step back from the hyperbole and take it to mean "ok the game is playable and probably worth your time", and reserve full judgement till I play it myself. It was just a long way of saying that I don't like getting wrapped up in the hype anymore.

In general, I read reviews after I play a game, to read it from the perspective of "oh, what did this guy get out of the game".

Ah, alright, I gotcha.

Yeah, the Citizen Kane comment is silly. In general I think people are enthusiastic, but everyone seems grounded.

My expectations are still tempered myself, but it's cool to see some if the very vocal skeptics - the guys that don't dabble in hyperbole - being high on the game.

Lunar15

Ah, alright, I gotcha.

Yeah, the Citizen Kane comment is silly. In general I think people are enthusiastic, but everyone seems grounded.

My expectations are still tempered myself, but it's cool to see some if the very vocal skeptics - the guys that don't dabble in hyperbole - being high on the game.

Yeah, I've seen favorable, grounded opinions from people I tend to align with, and that's sick. I definitely think the game's gonna be solid. I'm just saying I only buy it all up to a point.... and from there I keep my expectations in check.

Levito

Banned

Eh, maybe. I think most people that pull our the "Citizen Kane" card often have no idea why that movie was such a bit deal, or haven't see it to begin with. It always reeks of hyperbole. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom