• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
tumblr_lc96gmOMoc1qdizbso1_400_thumb.jpg

Good ol' stupid, homophobic Yosuke. Truly the worst.

Jintor

viii's the best because it was the first one i played so there

that reminds me, i should probably play vi after i finish metal gear portable ops. between kefka and sabin in the VGCW and terror baltimore in the WVGCW I gotta check this out

Levito

Banned
That's hardly homophobic. It's just him being a teenager. :p

Nah he's absolutely a bit homophobic, but Yosuke is a very flawed individual. He's writhe with insecurities, so it makes sense. A character isn't a mouthpiece for the developers after all.

Sophia

Nah he's absolutely a bit homophobic, but Yosuke is a very flawed individual. He's writhe with insecurities, so it makes sense. A character isn't a mouthpiece for the developers after all.

The hugging thing is just a normal teenage boy thing. They don't hug each other like that usually. There's nothing homophobic about it at all.

Levito

Banned
The hugging thing is just a normal teenage boy thing. They don't hug each other like that usually. There's nothing homophobic about it at all.

"Dude if we hug people will think we're girls or gay eeeeew"

Most teenage boys will be like that of course, but most teenage boys are insecure and hold a lot of prejudices. ;)

While you're still growing when you're a teenager, you're still at the point in your life where you need to take responsibility for your actions.

EDIT: If you're arguing for that scene in particular, I agree with you. The character as a whole though? Nah.

Sophia

"Dude if we hug people will think we're girls or gay eeeeew"

Most teenage boys will be like that of course, but most teenage boys are insecure and hold a lot of prejudices. ;)

While you're still growing when you're a teenager, you're still at the point in your life where you need to take responsibility for your actions.

EDIT: If you're arguing for that scene in particular, I agree with you. The character as a whole though? Nah.

Obviously we're talking about the scene in particular. Yosuke as a whole is somewhat of a jerk at times, although not usually intentionally.

Yosuke's jerkish tendencies come from his Butt Monkey status. All this awful crap happens to him and so he vents it on others by poking fun at their insecurities in an attempt to cover up his own.

He seems to come around by the end of the game, but then Arena had to go and hit him with the regression stick (a fate suffered by most of the P4 cast, actually).

Also, since the writers didn't go all the way with his inferiority complex like they did with Junpei (who is still one of the most complex characters in the series IMO), it comes across as halfhearted and makes him seem like more of a jerk than he actually is.

Yosuke seems like a jerk, but a dependable jerk who will be a jerk until he needs to level up, and then he'll have your back.

Also, Persona 4 Weather app for iPhone version 1.50 hit the iTunes store tonight. (minutes ago, so it might still be stuck on the old, 1.25 version. if so, wait for 1.50 to hit your store)

Levito

Banned
See: Being a jerk. He's not trying to be outright hurtful. It's actually brought up in P4A in Narukami's story mode.

"Are we safe around you tonight?" Yosuke said to recently outed Kanji while they were sleeping in the same tent.

That's defining someone by their sexuality, looking a gay/bisexual person and coming to the conclusion that they're obsessed with their sexuality, and it's a trope that gay men's mission is so molest and rape straight men.

That's like, the very definition of homophobia. :p

It's not a flaw on the games or the writing's part, like Scafty said, Yosuke has an inferiority complex and is generally just a really insecure person. No need to made excuses though, he was definitely homophobic in that scene.

"Are we safe around you tonight?" Yosuke said to recently outed Kanji while they were sleeping in the same tent.

That's defining someone by their sexuality, looking a gay/bisexual person and coming to the conclusion that they're obsessed with their sexuality, and it's a trope that gay men's mission is so molest and rape straight men.

That's like, the very definition of homophobia. :p

It's not a flaw on the games or the writing's part, like Scafty said, Yosuke has an inferiority complex and is generally just a really insecure person. No need to made excuses though, he was definitely homophobic in that scene.

After that he lightened up. That was the only instance where he was like that. All the other times were with a wink and a nod. He does that to all the crew on various topics.

jaxword

Yep. I love both, but VII was overrated. VI was perfection.

VIII was overrated and now its underrated.

VI is horribly overrated by nostalgia. It has just as many flaws as the current ones, but the lower graphics and presentation (voices, acting) make it easier to ignore them.

PK Gaming

Yosuke seems like a jerk, but a dependable jerk who will be a jerk until he needs to level up, and then he'll have your back.

Also, Persona 4 Weather app for iPhone version 1.50 hit the iTunes store tonight. (minutes ago, so it might still be stuck on the old, 1.25 version. if so, wait for 1.50 to hit your store)

I forgot to thank you for that awesome app. I don't own an Iphone, but i've recommended it to some of my friends (even non persona fans)

Sophia

After that he lightened up. That was the only instance where he was like that. All the other times were with a wink and a nod. He does that to all the crew on various topics.

Yeah it's certainly not exclusive to Kanji. He gives Teddie quite a bit of shit too, and Kanji actually gets back at him a few times ("Will you please beat the shit out of me?" and one of the scenes in P4A...)

Mind you, if we're talking about the anime version of the tent scene, that's straight up homophobia. But, that's inevitable when you have a mediocre director like Seiji Kishi on board.

Yeah it's certainly not exclusive to Kanji. Mind you, if we're talking about the anime version of the tent scene, that's straight up homophobia. But, that's inevitable when you have a mediocre director like Seiji Kishi on board.

yea we aren't arguing about the anime.

Levito

Banned

Yes, the characters grow and mature over time, we agree.

What I'm saying is "being a teenager" or "being a jerk" does not excuse someone from being labeled a bigot when they say/do bigoted things.

Yes, the characters grow and mature over time, we agree.

What I'm saying is "being a teenager" or "being a jerk" does not excuse someone from being labeled a bigot when they say/do bigoted things.

ok

dont agree there. people can be bigoted and change their ways

Sophia

I guess I would say he was a bit homophobic at that moment, which I would say is different than just saying he is[/is] a bit homophobic.

Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between saying something stupid in the heat of the moment (everyone does this) versus being outright homophobic all the time. The former happens quite often when you're a teenager. :p

Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between saying something stupid in the heat of the moment (everyone does this) versus being outright homophobic all the time. The former happens quite often when you're a teenager. :p

I feel like we all learned something today...

*s.link chime*

Really? I cried like a baby :s

I'm a stone-hearted dastard so I didn't cry during that scene, but I definitely felt something.
Being a big brother myself, the whole affair really hit uncomfortably close to home and really depressed me.

Heck, even Jeff and Vinny were affected by that scene during the Endurance Run.

Sophia

I tear up at almost everything, so I'm not a good metric for what is and isn't a tearjerker. ;_;

Just thinking about the ending to P3 or P4... or my favorite game, makes me teary-eyed. D:

cj_iwakura

I tear up at almost everything, so I'm not a good metric for what is and isn't a tearjerker. ;_;

Just thinking about the ending to P3 or P4... or my favorite game, makes me teary-eyed. D:

The last time I remember really being brought to tears by something was the end of Revenge of the Sith. Don't ask.

For the record, the only times I've cried because of a game were at the ends of Crisis Core and TTG's The Walking Dead.

Everyone has a different trigger for sadness. I guess mine's
inevitibility

Sophia

The last time I remember really being brought to tears by something was the end of Revenge of the Sith. Don't ask.

If I kept track of every game that made me weep, we'd be here for awhile. I finished aLTTP again just recently, and the ending credits were making me sad. :(

Trigger

My little sister and I cried when I finished FFX for the first time, but that's just about the only time a game's brought me to tears. lol, plenty of them startle or scare me though.

Sophia

The ending to Persona 2 still makes me cry to this day. Actually so does Persona 3.... and Persona 4..... and Aigis's story mode in Persona 4 Arena...

Astra

The final stretch of P3 always gets to me. It's such a depressing time with the music, and the state of the city.

I never actually cried, but came close a couple of times. Xenosaga III's ending got to me, when
Jin died. He was my favorite character, dammit.

I also tend to get "tears of excitement" when something really major, or epic is happening.

Marche90

I don't think that I've ever cried to a game before (or any medium , for that matter), but I have indeed gotten misty eyed for some games.

Can't remember which one was the most recent, though.

... Nope, I couldn't. I think that the last one was the ending of the DLC campaign (The Future Past) of FE:A, but I'm not too sure. Or maybe it was that game but only because seeing the ending credits made me realized that I was done with the game. In any case, I think that I played something this year to make me feel like that.

P4 ending, btw, made me feel this way too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom