• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Persona 3 more or less had all the same attributes as a university setting except more explicit content. I think the wish for a university setting is more a reflection of the aging audience. I was in high school when Persona 3 first hit, but now I'm in college. I can understand the desire for a more mature cast. I'm honestly happy with whatever they do.

BeesEight

Sadly I don't think Atlus never ever will release more mature characters in Persona series. High school setting just sells so well in Japan, no way in hell they will ignore that one. But yes I would like university setting, too. But at the same time I would be happy with ANY persona game.

I wouldn't have thought so either but I'm curious how well Catherine did. Course, they could just make another spin off for maturer casts (it's not like Atlus is above spinning off a spin off).

You know it's fan made when the lyrics make sense.

I'm not sure how well a Japanese university would be. Honestly, I'd kind of like a salary worker protagonist but I wouldn't be surprised if that option is completely off the table.

I wonder what Catherine would have felt like if the puzzle component was sliced out and dungeons were put in.

Or conversely, if the next Persona game limits you to only one or two locations that you can walk around in between dungeon segments.

Or conversely, if the next Persona game limits you to only one or two locations that you can walk around in between dungeon segments.

Holy crap, I talked about this today with some people. We came up with this:

• the premise is that the main characters get stuck in a sort of "groundhog day" meets "final destination" scenario
  • the entire game takes place in a very modern highschool
  • dungeons are nightmares that occur during pivotal progression points in the repeating days - usually involve preventing somebody from dying an extremely gruesome and untimely death
  • it isn't known how many NPCs are taking advantage of the situation; evil plots ensue

Shit, I realized that some people might not know what those references are:

• groundhog day effect: you relive the same exact day over and over, retaining your memory of the previous day, while almost everything else stays static, and other people may also join into the effect at random
  • final destination: you see a premonition of someone's or your own death yet somehow, you avoid it, and since cheating death, it is only a matter of time before your death catches up to you

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Didn't they kinda do the Groundhog Day thing with "The Answer" ?

I really don't remember because I couldn't stomache it.

Didn't they kinda do the Groundhog Day thing with "The Answer" ?

I really don't remember because I couldn't stomache it.

Yeah it was pretty terrible. Within moments you are confronting another robot girl, the characters are caught in some conflict that is convoluted and uninteresting, and the "story" is spread too thin across the abundant dungeon grind.

In a way it was like a groundhog day, since when you see it you turn around and leave :)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I liked the idea of playing as Aegis though.

Of course, then you learn that Metis is just Aegis' suppressed self or some shit like that.

Yeah it was pretty terrible. Within moments you are confronting another robot girl, the characters are caught in some conflict that is convoluted and uninteresting, and the "story" is spread too thin across the abundant dungeon grind.

In a way it was like a groundhog day, since when you see it you turn around and leave :)

Best part: I hated her ass, so relegated her to bench duty with Ken the whole time.

Those of you who've played it already realize the mistake.

The actual dungeon crawling parts with Hot Old Music was easily the good parts, but when it turned into that artificial arena shit was so bad at anything but character assassination.

Midou

I like The Answer, but I know I'm in an extreme minority.

I just didn't understand the point of it in the end. I had quite a bit of trouble with it, but eventually beat it, and then it seemed like all the characters did was find out what happened to the mc at the end, which you as the player would already know.

cj_iwakura

I just didn't understand the point of it in the end. I had quite a bit of trouble with it, but eventually beat it, and then it seemed like all the characters did was find out what happened to the mc at the end, which you as the player would already know.

It was Persona 3 Hard Mode++. Way more than P3's actual hard mode. The story kept my interest until the end, and it had some nice closure. That was enough.

Midou

It was Persona 3 Hard Mode++. Way more than P3's actual hard mode. The story kept my interest until the end, and it had some nice closure. That was enough.

Fair enough. I enjoyed it as well, I was just a bit confused as to what I had accomplished at the end. Beating it was satisfying none the less though.

"Hi! I'm Metis! Oh, the boss is weak to Wind but has Evade Wind! I better not cast Garudyne, lolz"

That's non-Elizabeth P3 difficulty for ya!

Dantis

I like The Answer, but I know I'm in an extreme minority.

...I liked the soundtrack. The ending was fairly nice too.

Also, I just finished the US version of P4G. It was neat. Marie and her story are still a complete waste of time. The Persona 3 uniforms are amazing, and surprising that Naoto wears a skirt.

Sophia

I liked the idea of playing as Aegis though.

Of course, then you learn that Metis is just Aegis' suppressed self or some shit like that.

This is entirely the fault of the drama CDs not being released in English. Moonlight makes it perfectly clear that Metis is Aigis's Shadow Self, and it probably wasn't surprising to any Japanese players who listened to the drama CD. >_>;

I have no problem with The Answer's story, but it's a damn shame that it defaults to hard mode given how many plot events will come up in future installments, and how many already did in Persona 4 Arena.

Squire

Banned
I just posted in the P4G OT about finishing the game, so it's reflection time.

This was essentially my first SMT/Persona game. I've known about the games for years, and once I got my Vita I did download P3P, played about ten hours of it, and just couldn't get into it (I plan to revisit!)

That said, P4G immediately clicked with me. I dug the set-up, the style and just everything that followed.

I loved the way the game took these tired, overused and abused anime cliches and completely subverted then into characters that are infinitely relatable and feel real. These are possibly the most most multi-dinensional, realized characters I've ever interacted with in s video game and without question an RPG.

I played through on Very Easy (hey, how often does a JRPG let you do that?), but I still thought the combat was genius. No ATB silliness; pure strategy. The Persona/fusion system is the best permutation of the Pokemon formula I have yet to come across.

I just enjoyed every minute of this game. It's without question my personal GOTY, one of my favorite RPGs, and also one of my favorite video games of all time. (We're talking Top 3 here, too!)

I await Persona 5 with baited breath.

Lusankya

Oh wow, I love the game. Actually only playing P4G made me realize how much I love it.

I already played P4 on the PS2, I watched a Let's Play shortly after and also the anime adaption. And still, I enjoyed the game as if I would play it for the first time. I didn't skip any voiced line or any event and never felt like "boring, I already knew this".

So despite being a veteran my first playthrough of P4G took me over 90 hours, roughly 15 hours more than my very first P4 playthrough.

Now, about the new content:
- I loved all new scenes, no matter what. Yes, the second hot spring scene with Marie seemed forced, but I still grinned while watching the guys getting struck by lightning. I just like the characters so much, that I'd basically enjoy everything as long as it involves them. Especially the whole new winter stuff was awesome (music, atmosphere, holiday scenes, etc.).

- I enjoyed the new Social Links. I guess I am in the minority when I say that I liked Marie quite much and think she's a good addition. The only thing I didn't like about her SL was the fact that she's now basically the canon love interest of the MC. It felt like a "wrong" choice to friendzone her. Adachi's SL was quite nice and I think it should have already been in the original P4. I think it makes new player less likely to suspect him and it's always nice to learn more about the bad guy (though there isn't anything REALLY new).

- I am not so sure what to think about all the new little changes to the game mechanics. On the one hand I liked the new locations and the possibility to give my party members new skills and also thought the mini games were quite nice. On the other hand the new arcana chance game and the skill cards make the game ridiculously easy (even on very hard). Obviously it's also because I am a much better persona player now than when I first played P4, but especially with the sweep bonus you ALWAYS get good stuff. You never run out of SP, your Personas get very strong very fast and can easily cover their weaknesses. I do like that now you can choose the skills a persona shall inherit during a fusion and that they show me all possible combinations.

- It's cool that now the last levels of a SL have additional voice acting and I also got used to Chie's new voice actress. The "11th" SL rank of the party members are a nice addition as well.

- I don't like that you can't use two personas to fuse Aeon or Jester personas.

- I always enjoy stuff like the midnight channel, where you can listen to the soundtrack, watch all cutscenes, see conceptional art, etc. The midnight quiz was fun, too, but I wished Kanji, Rise and Naoto could have participated as well.

- The new intro is nice, but nothing compared to the glorious old one.

- The new dungeon was okay. I loved the music and the look of it, but wasn't too fond of the enemies and the mechanics (losing SP after a fight, forced to wear specific equipment). It wasn't as fun as other dungeons, but maybe that's because I tried out the party members I never use to get the Rise trophy. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The final bath scene with Marie is too fanservicey. I liked Marie's dungeon but it sucked that you can't go back to it and the SP depleting mechanic.

Also Snowflakes and Time to Make History are the best songs ever.

Dantis

Snowflakes is absolutely amazing. The lyrics are just perfect.

Time To Make History is pretty weak as far as Meguro battle themes go, imo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, P4G could have been better (well, it's already solid awesome already) if they added some stuff from P4 The Animation like Shadow Mitsuo's "Emptiness" delusion to Yu and Yukiko and Chie flashbacks (Yukiko losing the bird, etc.).

Tiu Neo

You know, P4G could have been better (well, it's already solid awesome already) if they added some stuff from P4 The Animation like Shadow Mitsuo's "Emptiness" delusion to Yu and Yukiko and Chie flashbacks (Yukiko losing the bird, etc.).

Yeah, that Mitsuo part was a big WTF to me, I tought there was something wrong with the video. Would be pretty cool on the game too.

cj_iwakura

But I don't wanna turn into a Shadow. :(

You'll be okay, this guy's way more involved with his staff than Philly.

nyar-aki.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
I realize these are most likely very early Persona 4 concepts by Soejima, but I really like the vibe I get from them. I thought I would share in case some people in this thread have missed them.
jkT2j.jpg

wyfy3.jpg

They have a nice mix of coolness and quirkiness that I enjoy out of Persona.

cj_iwakura

I realize these are most likely very early Persona 4 concepts by Soejima, but I really like the vibe I get from them. I thought I would share in case some people in this thread have missed them.
jkT2j.jpg

wyfy3.jpg

They have a nice mix of coolness and quirkiness that I enjoy out of Persona.

They're actually drawings for a novel, I believe. They're in Soejima Works(fantastic book by the way).

Sophia

They're actually drawings for a novel, I believe. They're in Soejima Works(fantastic book by the way).

The first image there is my second favorite image from the book. You get no kudos for guessing which image is my favorite. :p

Know anything more about the novel? I've never really looked it up. I know a couple of images in the book he did for a Trading Card Game in Japan too.

Oh and what were the original ideas for P3 I keep hearing about?

I still can't find the original Famitsu blog post, but the double protagonists was originally planned, as was more seamless battle transitions. Wish I had bookmarked it, it even had videos.

Dantis

And yeah, please please please let Persona 5 have a tone like those sketches. Or Catherine.

Or both.

His art has really split with his newer Persona 4 stuff. Catherine was much more realistically proportioned, whilst his newer Persona 4 illustrations have been really cartoony.

I'd love it if Persona 5 looked like Catherine though, and I really think it's possible.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm going to add to the anti-Ken side. There was potential for him to be interesting but he was basically there for his backstory to flesh out Akihiko and Shinji. I never felt he meshed with the party and was just milquetoast. He could have been an NPC social link and been more interesting.

Squire

Banned
His art has really split with his newer Persona 4 stuff. Catherine was much more realistically proportioned, whilst his newer Persona 4 illustrations have been really cartoony.

I'd love it if Persona 5 looked like Catherine though, and I really think it's possible.

I might prefer they stick with portraits for cutscenes though. Catherine ditches that, but the graphics are still too blocky to go without.

Dantis

I might prefer they stick with portraits for cutscenes though. Catherine ditches that, but the graphics are still too blocky to go without.

Yeah, I hope they keep portraits too.

I imagine they will do, because I don't think they'll voice every line like in Catherine.

Alfredo

The in-game cutscenes in Catherine were the best part! Vincent's crazy facial expressions were great. I'd really wanna see more stuff like that in the next Persona.

I also wanna see more actual cutscene-ish stuff, with a more dynamic camera, swooping and panning and stuff. Golden's new scene with Adachi in the ominous bedroom was pretty cool.

Dantis

I also wanna see more actual cutscene-ish stuff, with a more dynamic camera, swooping and panning and stuff. Golden's new scene with Adachi in the ominous bedroom was pretty cool.

No chance we'll see this. Atlus don't have anywhere near the budget.

As a side-note, I really liked Catherine's shaky cam during cutscenes. That was neat.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I hope they keep portraits too.

I imagine they will do, because I don't think they'll voice every line like in Catherine.

Yeah, there'll be way too much dialogue for that. I do good there's as much voiced material as P4G. Great balance there.

And I think the frames and camera angles in P4G at least are nice. They're not overly-pronounced and the camera tends to pan around slowly during some scenes, too. It's very easy to miss.

Dantis

Yeah, there'll be way too much dialogue for that. I do good there's as much voiced material as P4G. Great balance there.

And I think the frames and camera angles in P4G at least are nice. They're not overly-pronounced and the camera tends to pan around slowly during some scenes, too. It's very easy to miss.

I thought he was talking about more cinematic camera angles, like you'd see in most AAA titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom