• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Are you secretly jealous of a friend? Have you ever wished that something bad would happen to this person? Would it make you happy to see them fail at something? Does it make you feel powerful when they need you? Does it make them appear weak when they need your consolation? Do you like seeing them suffer? Is this why you are friends?

I think I know someone who fits this description....

image.php

Do you feel sorry for close friend? Have you ever thought that this person is not good enough to be your friend, but you still hang out with them? Do you compare your looks or wealth to them? Does it make you feel good to know that they have less than you do? Could you ever admit that you think they are a loser? Does it feel nice knowing that even if you are pathetic, your friend is even more so?

Squire

Banned
I don't think Marie has anything to do with Persona 5 outside of her service probably being handled by a new character. Her arc is integrated into Golden's main story and there's no need to extend it. In hindsight, I wish her social link was given to other prominent characters, but that line of conversation would be a spoiler.

Do tell.

Trigger

I would've made Nametame the Aeon social link over Marie. My understanding was that Kunino-Sagiri isn't actually Nametame's shadow, and he never confronts his other side during the story. Why add a new character who isn't necessary to the plot when you can expand on a central character? It's one of the reasons I liked the Aeon addition to FES.

Squire

Banned
I would've made Nametame the Aeon social link over Marie. My understanding was that Kunino-Sagiri isn't actually Nametame's shadow, and he never confronts his other side during the story. Why add a new character who isn't necessary to the plot when you can expand on a central character? It's one of the reasons I liked the Aeon addition to FES.

Good point, yeah.

Aiya should've been the Aeon social link.

You mean Aika. And yes, I would've preferred her, too. Hasn't she become popular in the fandom after the anime?

Sophia

I would have liked this too, as it would have worked incredibly well with Adachi's social link also being added to the game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Do you feel sorry for close friend? Have you ever thought that this person is not good enough to be your friend, but you still hang out with them? Do you compare your looks or wealth to them? Does it make you feel good to know that they have less than you do? Could you ever admit that you think they are a loser? Does it feel nice knowing that even if you are pathetic, your friend is even more so?

Are you secretly jealous of a friend? Have you ever wished that something bad would happen to this person? Would it make you happy to see them fail at something? Does it make you feel powerful when they need you? Does it make them appear weak when they need your consolation? Do you like seeing them suffer? Is this why you are friends?

Wat.

Marie was an overall terrible character whom I hated and actively drove me nuts when I just wanted to fuse but her poetry stood between me and new Personas.

Dantis

I would have it that Marie's S Link was either more heavily integrated into the plot overall (Making her a party member, and therefore present for trips and the like would have been a great addition), or that she had no relevance to the plot overall, which would allow her to have a much more interesting plotline.

As it is, most of her S Links are spent saying "Hey, here's a party member! Woah, Marie said something tactless, that's so funny! I'm going home now!".

And then her dungeon plot is basically "I'm a cog in a machine you never wanted to know about, feel sorry for me because I'm an anime cliche! :(".

Needs more Saori.

Sophia

Marie was an overall terrible character whom I hated and actively drove me nuts when I just wanted to fuse but her poetry stood between me and new Personas.

Yeah I don't really like her all that much either. Her design annoys me more than her personality tho. She just doesn't mesh well with the P4 cast. I might even be tempted to just skip past her text in the social link.

I would have it that Marie's S Link was either more heavily integrated into the plot overall (Making her a party member, and therefore present for trips and the like would have been a great addition), or that she had no relevance to the plot overall, which would allow her to have a much more interesting plotline.

I forgive her character's lack of integration because it would have been so much extra work to include her.

At least in P3, you could have an extra character in most of the scenes just sit there as Mitsuru or Ikutsuki lectured exposition at them, but the P4 characters talk amongst themselves a lot, which is pretty impressive since by the end there are a million of them.

Her design is still absolutely garish compared to the other character's though.

But then her dungeon was absolutely worth it as an excuse to include the Reincarnation track.

Also I didn't realize it at the time, but the Persona 4 anime has at least one amazing reinterpretation of a Meguro track, even if it's 'Battle For Everyone's Souls' version 2.

I quite liked Marie tbh, though her social link disappointed me, since it felt like it didn't really go anywhere. I really enjoyed her dungeon and its story, though.

Dantis

I forgive her character's lack of integration because it would have been so much extra work to include her.

At least in P3, you could have an extra character in most of the scenes just sit there as Mitsuru or Ikutsuki lectured exposition at them, but the P4 characters talk amongst themselves a lot, which is pretty impressive since by the end there are a million of them.

Her design is still absolutely garish compared to the other character's though.

But then her dungeon was absolutely worth it as an excuse to include the Reincarnation track.

Also I didn't realize it at the time, but the Persona 4 anime has at least one amazing reinterpretation of a Meguro track, even if it's 'Battle For Everyone's Souls' version 2.

The whole anime soundtrack is amazing. Beauty of Destiny and Sky's the Limit are both better than anything on Golden and Arena. Not to mention Ain't Nobody Can Hold Me Down, Key Plus Words, Determination and (Obviously) The Bond of Everyone's Souls.

Trigger

I do wonder just where in the world Margaret got the clothes for Marie. Were they just laying around? In the trunk maybe? Does Igor normally have an extra pair of women's clothing?

Squire

Banned
I quite liked Marie tbh, though her social link disappointed me, since it felt like it didn't really go anywhere. I really enjoyed her dungeon and its story, though.

It went somewhere. It was the classic anime trope of: Amnesia -> Makes new friends -> Starts to regain memory -> Actual origins are personally horrifying -> New friends help he/she overcome the aforementioned horrors -> Happy ending

Sophia

Not bad, but horrendously cheesy, even by Persona standards.

Not any more cheesey than Nevermore was. :p

I do wonder just where in the world Margaret got the clothes for Marie. Were they just laying around? In the trunk maybe? Does Igor normally have an extra pair of women's clothing?

Doesn't she have the clothes (sans hat) in the beginning before the game started? >_>;

Her description of the velvet room was hilariously weird. The idea is that she just sits there bored as Igor and Margaret remain completely silent, presumably in the same pose you see them in.

(something something the room is shaped by the mind of the protagonist something inhabitants are metaphysical and not just the bodies that you see something something)

Trigger

Doesn't she have the clothes (sans hat) in the beginning before the game started? >_>;

She says in the social link that Margaret gave her everything including her name. The whole plot boggles the mind when you think about it too hard.

Saying that, what did everyone make of the addition of Marie in the Velvet Room in P4G. Does she have a self-contained arc in the game? Because I first thought her being an "intern" was very interesting; I've been thinking that perhaps she has much to do with the next game?
I liked her. Her social link is kind of familiar territory with a character from P4 and someone from P3 but that was okay to me. I thought the addition of her in the newer post case content was a good way to help resolve another character's story and also sort of explained something I hadnt thought about before. It is definitely self contained.

Sophia

She says in the social link that Margaret gave her everything including her name. The whole plot boggles the mind when you think about it too hard.

Well that makes a whole lot of not making sense. >_>;

Yeah. She's already met Margaret at that point though.

Ah. That does actually explain why she is a fashionetta with a horrible sense of fashion. Doesn't explain why she continues to wear such awful clothes, but...

Dantis

Well that makes a whole lot of not making sense. >_>;

The way I interpreted it is that because she's lost her memory, she has no form. She's an abstract being. She finds her way into the Velvet Room (As people so often seem to) and Margaret gave her the physical looks that we know. Which is also why she's called Marie, presumably, to carry on the Frankenstein references.

Ah. That does actually explain why she is a fashionetta with a horrible sense of fashion. Doesn't explain why she continues to wear such awful clothes, but...

By the epilogue she's changed them, so there you go. :p

Dantis

I actually think she looks kinda neat...

When she takes her hat off though, you realise how terrible her hair is without it.

Trigger

I was too used to seeing Marie with her hat that she looked "off" without it on. Same feeling I had with black-haired Kanji.

Squire

Banned
The way I interpreted it is that because she's lost her memory, she has no form. She's an abstract being. She finds her way into the Velvet Room (As people so often seem to) and Margaret gave her the physical looks that we know. Which is also why she's called Marie, presumably, to carry on the Frankenstein references.

Which begs the question: Do Marge and Igor not know anything at all about her actual origins? Is Marge really just training her as her apprentice? Marie says Igor never says anything, which I'm sure is just another VR joke, but hey, he isn't all knowing.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah why the hell didn't she do that sooner? It looks SOOO much better and I'm not even talking about how she meshes with the rest of the cast! >.<;

While I do like her first look, her look in the epilogue is really great.

Glasses? Oh hell yes.

Dantis

Which begs the question: Do Marge and Igor not know anything at all about her actual origins? Is Marge really just training her as her apprentice? Marie says Igor never says anything, which I'm sure is just another VR joke, but hey, he isn't all knowing.

I don't think they care. People can only enter the Velvet Room if they are required to, so I think Igor and Margaret just serve their duty and send them on their way.

Sophia

Well, Igor isn't all knowing according to Persona 2. It's possible they don't know.

Holy fuck @ black haired kaji. I couldn't stop laughing.

Totally want black haired Kanji for P4A. :D

Squire

Banned
I don't think they care. People can only enter the Velvet Room if they are required to, so I think Igor and Margaret just serve their duty and send them on their way.

Sounds about right.

I was very peeved to find that black-haired Kanji isn't a costume.

Yeah. It's weird. I dunno, I was like, "Man, these are GREAT redesigns. Like, almost too great to be seen for what amounts to only twenty minutes." Suspicious.

Dantis

All the epilogue costumes are great. Especially the girls. It's almost weird there are no unlockable costumes based on them.

I thought it was weird you didn't get them too. And the skiing outfits. The models are made, so it really wouldn't be that much effort.

I loved the epilogue costumes, but I thought increasing all the girls' chests so considerably was unnecessary.

I also think it would have been neat in Arena if they'd used the epilogue designs, rather than the P4 designs.

Sophia

I thought it was weird you didn't get them too. And the skiing outfits. The models are made, so it really wouldn't be that much effort.

I loved the epilogue costumes, but I thought increasing all the girls' chests so considerably was unnecessary.

I also think it would have been neat in Arena if they'd used the epilogue designs, rather than the P4 designs.

They should be DLC costumes, at least. Alongside Aigis with her trechcoat, P3 Mitsuru/Akihiko/Fuuka, and human form Labrys. :3

Yukiko didn't really change up in the epilogue. I still find her adorable though. I can't help but laugh when she burst into laughter. Its creepy/adorable.

I mentioned this before in another thread, but I'm a lot like Yukiko in real life. Thus, any funny scene resulted in twice the laughing fits because I always ended up laughing at HER laughing fits. >_>;

Dantis

They should be DLC costumes, at least. Alongside Aigis with her trechcoat, P3 Mitsuru/Akihiko/Fuuka, and human form Labrys. :3

Aigis looks boss in her trench coat. I was going to draw her in that in that picture I did, but I forgot.

Human Labrys is also miiiiiiles better than robot Labrys. If that had been her proper design, I wouldn't have had nearly as much of a problem with her.

Squire

Banned

I didn't even notice the chest increase, but you've got a point. And I was just thinking today I wish Arena had alt costumes. I want Chie's summer uniform. I know they're sprites, but I hope they work extra costumes into an Arena sequel if one happens.

Yukiko didn't really change up in the epilogue. I still find her adorable though. I can't help but laugh when she burst into laughter. Its creepy/adorable.

Yukiko's laugh is adorable. And it's infectious; I found myself laughing at her laughing a lot ^_^

I think it is kind of funny that in May, everyone still looked exactly the same two months after the game and then within three months, everyone decides to completely change their looks. Nanako? Guess ill grow my hair out. Yosuke? Getting a haircut dude. Kanji? Im tired of bleaching and I need glasses, etc.

Maybe they should have done a larger time skip.

Dantis

I think it is kind of funny that in May, everyone still looked the same two months after the game and then within three months, everyone decides to completely change their looks. Nanako? Guess ill grow my hair out. Yosuke? Getting a haircut dude. Kanji? Im tired of bleaching and I need glasses, etc.

Further proof that really, Arena is non-canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom