• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a consensus among my fellow GAF Persona fans on which version of Persona 2 is better- Eternal Punishment or Innocent Sin?

I just started EP and really like it.

cj_iwakura

is there a consensus among my fellow GAF Persona fans on which version of Persona 2 is better- Eternal Punishment or Innocent Sin?

I just started EP and really like it.

Depends on who you ask, most favor Innocent Sin, I favor Eternal Punishment. I did play it first, so that definitely affects things, but it really is a much harder game, and more satisfying overall.

Yasir

Persona 4: Golden is my first persona game. Only had it a day or two and only 14 hours in, I'm hooked. Was wondering whether this means the previous games have been spoiled, as in is there any point in revisiting them? Mechanically, they're probably weaker right I'm assuming.

Trigger

Persona 4: Golden is my first persona game. Only had it a day or two and only 14 hours in, I'm hooked. Was wondering whether this means the previous games have been spoiled, as in is there any point in revisiting them? Mechanically, they're probably weaker right I'm assuming.

They are mechanically weaker, but Persona 3 isn't too far off from Golden. There's also a lot good story and RPG goodness to be had with the series. It depends on what you drew you to Persona. If you mostly only like the social stuff then there's not much reason to go back past P3. If you're an RPG gamer than I can't see why someone would skip the older entries.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

They're mechanically weaker. Persona 4, IMO, has the strongest cast in the Persona series and has the best battle system. If you're drawn in due to the story, you may want to try out Innocent Sin because IMO Innocent Sin has a pretty strong story (and probably the darkest one in the Persona series). That's the only other Persona game that beats Persona 4 in terms of something. Though Innocent Sin's battle system is slow and dated.

You know, it's pretty weird that the main character's parents never call him in P4, especially after
his uncle gets hospitalized for like a month and his cousin is kidnapped by a serial killer.

Trigger

I'm sure they had a good reason. Maybe they're secret agents?

Spoiler threads don't really need spoiler tags. :p

So I did not expect them to retcon Adachi as semi-redeemable at the end of P4 Golden.

I was kinda hoping that would have happened in P4 Vanilla, because it implies that Ameno-Sagiri had a significantly greater influence on him. I can accept THAT as a villainous deus ex machina to explain Adachi's (subconscious) motivations, rather than the whole "I just wanted to have a gun" line in P4's original ending.

Maybe the end conclusion is really are the same, but regular P4 was a little too subtle about it for me.

But now they've cleared the way for a spinoff middle-management sim, with Adachi out of prison on a work-release program to do freelance young detective work for the Shirogane private detective agency.

His co-workers are

• intern Raidou Kuzunova the XVI
  • part-timers Chie and Akihito who help out when they have free time from their dayjob as patrol officers
  • Erica from Catherine as the flirtatious receptionist that forces Adachi to confront his personal problem with "bitches, everywhere bitches!"
  • horrible apple-headed music-club Ayane as the distressed dame with "legs that don't quit"
  • Kei Nanjo as the stingy landlord
  • Koromaru as the grizzled former rival who is still on the police force
  • Louie Cypher as the enigmatic building supervisor hiding a terrible secret in his hellish tool closet
Let's make it happen, Index Holding Corp!

Esura

Banned
So I did not expect them to retcon Adachi as semi-redeemable at the end of P4 Golden.

I was kinda hoping that would have happened in P4 Vanilla, because it implies that Ameno-Sagiri had a significantly greater influence on him. I can accept THAT as a villainous deus ex machina to explain Adachi's (subconscious) motivations, rather than the whole "I just wanted to have a gun" line in P4's original ending.

Maybe the end conclusion is really are the same, but regular P4 was a little too subtle about it for me.

But now they've cleared the way for a spinoff middle-management sim, with Adachi out of prison on a work-release program to do freelance young detective work for the Shirogane private detective agency.

His co-workers are

• part-timers Chie and Akihito who help out when they have free time from their dayjob as patrol officers
  • Erica from Catherine as the flirtatious receptionist that forces Adachi to confront his personal problem with "bitches, everywhere bitches!"
  • horrible apple-headed music-club Ayane as the distressed dame with "legs that don't quit"
  • Louie Cypher as the enigmatic building supervisor hiding a terrible secret in his hellish tool closet

LOL this sounds kind of funny. I like this.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

His co-workers are

[*]Erica from Catherine as the flirtatious receptionist that forces Adachi to confront his personal problem with "bitches, everywhere bitches!"

Why would they include a character from a different universe?

Vincent was in P3P! Believe!
There's also a Gekkokan High poster in the bathroom of the Stray Sheep!

Because posters with just a high school's name and emblem are the perfect thing to hang in a bar bathroom, right?

Would have been way too bizarre for the P4 characters to look up at the night sky during the fireworks festivals and go "oh right, that object over there is the space station we have in our universe but never talk about. Maybe I can successfully bet on a wrestling match and afford a ticket, just like that one guy who had NOTHING TO DO WITH [MY] PROBLEMS [in pink text]."

I was looking out with faint hope that there'd be an npc with a suspiciously well-designed portrait in P4G, but no dice.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
There's also a Gekkokan High poster in the bathroom of the Stray Sheep!

Because posters with just a high school's name and emblem are the perfect thing to hang in a bar bathroom, right?

I don't remember seeing that poster, but it could have just been a throwback to Vincent "appearing" in P3P.

AFAIK, Catherine and SMT are set in completely different universes.

cj_iwakura

I don't remember seeing that poster, but it could have just been a throwback to Vincent "appearing" in P3P.

We'll never know for sure, but Catherine does take place in the future, 2030 something I believe. It's not impossible at all.

Sophia

The "Vincent" who appears in Persona 3 Portable isn't the real one. You can tell because he has a mole on his face where the real one doesn't.

cjkeats

The "Vincent" who appears in Persona 3 Portable isn't the real one. You can tell because he has a mole on his face where the real one doesn't.

God I hated that they had to go out of they're way to explain that. To me it was always a cool way of hinting the next game, who cares about "universes" and all that. I love it when developers announce something and people can go back and see that it was under their noses the whole time.

Wasn't there a Teddie doll too?

Yup. The jukebox had Persoina music and I believe there was something else in his room maybe? Or am I thinking of P4's protagonist room?

Apparently google doesn't have pictures of the poster on the wall, but inexplicably they have the much more specific texture map (it's in the center-ish).

tumblr_lwu4kgI45N1qdjjgt.png

Also I guess there is a poster of Teddie in the bathroom, too, in addition to the doll.

But yeah, if nothing else but for the aforementioned space station, Catherine and P3/P4 are meant to be separate.

...until Vincent shows up in Persona 4 3DS and mentions that his child, Vincent Jr, is about to be born and will inherit his clothes and maybe 30 years later end up in space or become a demon lord or just marry his long time girlfriend.

Sophia

Sometimes a reference and cameo are just that, a reference and cameo.

Yup, it's like the English version of Persona 3 referencing events from Persona 2 that nobody could have known about in the Hermit social link. (Or, if you're feeling Japanese, referencing the original Megami Tensei.) =P

Yup, it's like the English version of Persona 3 referencing events from Persona 2 that nobody could have known about in the Hermit social link. (Or, if you're feeling Japanese, referencing the original Megami Tensei.) =P
You're saying Maya didn't come back from the dead, dye her hair, and then settle down as a lonely school teacher?

NOOOooooooooo! Let's negative thinking!

Abandond

If I wanted to play through Persona 3, should I go with the PS2 version via emulator or the PSP version? I don't have a Vita so playing P4 isn't really an option aside from emulation. Also, am I correct in saying Persona 1 & 2 are a completely different type of game and lack the whole dating sim aspect? I watched some gameplay of the first and it seemed really weird how a guy was talking to a zombie and was insulting or complementing or whatever. Maybe I'm just not understanding what was going on

Trigger

If I wanted to play through Persona 3, should I go with the PS2 version via emulator or the PSP version? I don't have a Vita so playing P4 isn't really an option aside from emulation. Also, am I correct in saying Persona 1 & 2 are a completely different type of game and lack the whole dating sim aspect? I watched some gameplay of the first and it seemed really weird how a guy was talking to a zombie and was insulting or complementing or whatever. Maybe I'm just not understanding what was going on

Persona 3 is where the social stuff started. In Persona 1 and 2 the party can negotiate with demons via silly antics. Otherwise it's far closer to your standard SMT game.

Isn't FES on PSN? I'd recommend that to someone if they wanted the full experience.

Sophia

Persona 1 and 2 lack the dating sim aspect, and Persona 1 is closer to a traditional MegaTen game than Persona 2 and onward are.

For Persona 3, both FES and Portable have their advantages and drawbacks. FES has superior graphics, the playable epilogue, the animation cutscenes, and none of the towned down visual-novel style story scenes. Portable has the female protagonist, numerous UI improvements, Direct Party Control from Persona 4, and the Very Easy/Very Hard option.

If you go with FES, do emulate it if the option is available to you. The PSN version isn't very good and it runs pretty close to flawless in PCSX2 (and isn't very demanding to boot!) Plus you use a widescreen hack.

Isn't FES on PSN? I'd recommend that to someone if they wanted the full experience.

I only recommend playing the Playstation Classics version of FES if no other version is available. It suffers from emulation issues, save game issues, and a minor color issue on some HDTV/Monitors.

Finally went back and beat the bonus bosses in The Ruins on the Sebec Quest in Persona 1. So you fight 6 of the 7 deadly sins. I was like, ok lets take on the final bastard sin and end this....I end up fighting the robot mouse and a giant teddie bear.

They're mostly minor issues unless you're unlucky enough to have a save eaten... then it becomes a major issue. >_>;

It's such a damn shame for that game. AFAIK, the only way to live with the horrific save deleter bug is to:
  • save many times, save often (some people recommend 4 saves)
  • when you save, watch for the "save failed" message, and re-save
  • every time you load your game, immediately save it again multiple times as your save file might be gone
  • just because your save file shows up on the XMB, it might not be readable in game

Abandond

Persona 1 and 2 lack the dating sim aspect, and Persona 1 is closer to a traditional MegaTen game than Persona 2 and onward are.

For Persona 3, both FES and Portable have their advantages and drawbacks. FES has superior graphics, the playable epilogue, the animation cutscenes, and none of the towned down visual-novel style story scenes. Portable has the female protagonist, numerous UI improvements, Direct Party Control from Persona 4, and the Very Easy/Very Hard option.

If you go with FES, do emulate it if the option is available to you. The PSN version isn't very good and it runs pretty close to flawless in PCSX2 (and isn't very demanding to boot!) Plus you use a widescreen hack.

I only recommend playing the Playstation Classics version of FES if no other version is available. It suffers from emulation issues, save game issues, and a minor color issue on some HDTV/Monitors.

That's interesting. What would you personally recommend?

Sophia

That's interesting. What would you personally recommend?

If you own a PSP Go or Vita, Persona 3 Portable. If not, Persona 3 FES via emulator. That's what I'd personally do. I freely admit I'm biased due to poor experiences with a used first generation PSP model however. =P

It's such a damn shame for that game. AFAIK, the only way to live with the horrific save deleter bug is to:
  • save many times, save often (some people recommend 4 saves)
  • when you save, watch for the "save failed" message, and re-save
  • every time you load your game, immediately save it again multiple times as your save file might be gone
  • just because your save file shows up on the XMB, it might not be readable in game

Saving many times doesn't really help that much if it eats all of them... :(

Abandond

If you own a PSP Go or Vita, Persona 3 Portable. If not, Persona 3 FES via emulator. That's what I'd personally do. I freely admit I'm biased due to poor experiences with a used first generation PSP model however. =P

Saving many times doesn't really help that much if it eats all of them... :(

I own a 3000, but not a Go or Vita sadly. Is there an issue with the 3000 or did you just have some bad luck?

So I'm weary to visit this thread because I'm currently playing through P4g, having never finished the game, so I want to avoid spoilers. However I'm very much excited about the next game.

Saying that, what did everyone make of the addition of Marie in the Velvet Room in P4G. Does she have a self-contained arc in the game? Because I first thought her being an "intern" was very interesting; I've been thinking that perhaps she has much to do with the next game?

Trigger

I don't think Marie has anything to do with Persona 5 outside of her service probably being handled by a new character. Her arc is integrated into Golden's main story and there's no need to extend it. In hindsight, I wish her social link was given to other prominent characters, but that line of conversation would be a spoiler.

I don't think Marie has anything to do with Persona 5 outside of her service probably being handled by a new character. Her arc is integrated into Golden's main story and there's no need to extend it. In hindsight, I wish her social link was given to other prominent characters, but that line of conversation would be a spoiler.

Yea, since I'm not finished I wasn't sure. But I thought it strange to add a character like hers to the game just for a social link. I guess I will learn the truth down the road.

I'm just itching for some information about 5.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Saying that, what did everyone make of the addition of Marie in the Velvet Room in P4G. Does she have a self-contained arc in the game? Because I first thought her being an "intern" was very interesting; I've been thinking that perhaps she has much to do with the next game?

It's a possibility, Without spoiling anything, I would doubt her involvement in a large way in P5, as her story is really tied into P4.

edit: Ack beaten.

Are you secretly jealous of a friend? Have you ever wished that something bad would happen to this person? Would it make you happy to see them fail at something? Does it make you feel powerful when they need you? Does it make them appear weak when they need your consolation? Do you like seeing them suffer? Is this why you are friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom