• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
My imagination has been set ablaze by this crossover. Imagine combining support conversations and social links. All of the possibilities.

Maybe combining Press Turn with Fire Emblem's combat?

I'm just freaking out. This announcement has completely blindsided me and it's glorious.

Dantis

My imagination has been set ablaze by this crossover. Imagine combining support conversations and social links. All of the possibilities.

Maybe combining Press Turn with Fire Emblem's combat?

I'm just freaking out. This announcement has completely blindsided me and it's glorious.

S Links are very unlikely. They're only in P3 and P4.

Squire

Banned
Raidou yes (Because SMT3:Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition), Yukari no (Because they'd probably pump out Persona x Fire Emblem first).

I dunno. That seems like a huge assumption, given there's no Persona title on Nintendo hardware. And that could change, but I don't think they're building a franchise here. No reason not to go all in on this one.

I'm not saying they would, I'm just saying that Persona is a big enough brand (and, possibly more importantly - it has a large enough cast) that it could do its own thing rather than piggybacking on SMT.

Dantis

I'm not saying they would, I'm just saying that Persona is a big enough brand (and, possibly more importantly - it has a large enough cast) that it could do its own thing rather than piggybacking on SMT.

This is true.

I'm still expecting Narukami to pop up somewhere. Maybe - like Buddha said - as the super-boss.

Squire

Banned
Does that really matter? P4A came out on 360, for example.

I definitely think it matters. P4A is a fighting game. Half the player base is (or rather was) there because they like ArkSys or fighting games in general. SMT x FE is a fan thing. It's happening after SMT4, so why not? Persona though?

"Hey, we know you've played every game on a different family of hardware across three generations, but here's Persona x FE on Wii U, anyway!"

It'd be weird, yeah.

Agreed.

But on the other hand, Nintendo made like five million bucks off DLC for FEA, so it isn't impossible that they'd let you buy the entire cast of P3 and P4 for three bucks a pop.

The final DLC chapter you can buy, which requires you to have purchased every single piece of Persona DLC, is titled "The Fool and his money are soon parted"

cj_iwakura

I dunno. That seems like a huge assumption, given there's no Persona title on Nintendo hardware. And that could change, but I don't think they're building a franchise here. No reason not to go all in on this one.

For what it's worth(and this is a stretch), Persona characters had some battlenet cameos in DemiKids.

And Sony have no pull over Persona, except maybe for trying to sway Atlus to keeping the franchise on their consoles with $$$ I assume.

Squire

Banned
To the point that P5 will still be on Sony hardware: It's less about Sony's influence and all about Atlus having built a fanbase on that hardware over the years.

It's the reason FFXIII was on PS3 and 360 and not just 360.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
To the point that P5 will still be on Sony hardware: It's less about Sony's influence and all about Atlus having built a fanbase on that hardware over the years.

P3 and P4 came out so late in the PS2 lifecycle though that you could argue that said fanbase likely were primarily gaming on a different platform at the time, but since almost everyone still had a PS2 it wasn't difficult to get into the games when they came out.

Soriku

Catherine was on PS3/360 and it was on there to get the Persona team accustomed to HD hardware. There's no reason why P5 won't be on them, though I wonder if P5 will be on the Wii U as well.

Squire

Banned
P3 and P4 came out so late in the PS2 lifecycle though that you could argue that said fanbase likely were primarily gaming on a different platform at the time, but since almost everyone still had a PS2 it wasn't difficult to get into the games when they came out.

But see with that argument, you're making a guess. It could be a good guess even, but why take the risk when you know for a fact the audience has Sony hardware because the games are selling more as time goes on and that's the only hardware their proper entries are available on.

At this point, Atlus couldn't shake the expectation that P5 will at the very least be on PS3 unless they officially announced it and said otherwise.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
But see with that argument, you're making a guess. It could be a good guess even, but why take the risk when you know for a fact the audience has Sony hardware because the games are selling more as time goes on and that's the only hardware their proper entries are available on.

At this point, Atlus couldn't shake the expectation that P5 will at the very least be on PS3 unless they officially announced it and said otherwise.

And I have no problem with that assumption, I just think the idea that Atlus would avoid using certain characters/properties on another platform simply because they were never on the console system manufacturer's previous platforms is not a very compelling reason to do so from a business standpoint - especially if its early on a brand new platform, where you'd actually have a opportunity to grow your fanbase by introducing newcomers to something like SMT who may be coming in for the Fire Emblem stuff first.

The FE fans are going to jump in for those elements, and the SMT fans will jump in for those - whether Persona related chars show up or not isn't a big deal either way, but I don't think anyone would specifically keep them out because "zomg noone who picks this up will know who these guys are" or any of that.

Squire

Banned
And I have no problem with that assumption, I just think the idea that Atlus would avoid using certain characters/properties on another platform simply because they were never on the console system manufacturer's previous platforms is not a very compelling reason to do so from a business standpoint - especially if its early on a brand new platform, where you'd actually have a opportunity to grow your fanbase by introducing newcomers to something like SMT who may be coming in for the Fire Emblem stuff first.

The FE fans are going to jump in for those elements, and the SMT fans will jump in for those - whether Persona related chars show up or not isn't a big deal either way, but I don't think anyone would specifically keep them out because "zomg noone who picks this up will know who these guys are" or any of that.

Then we agree! I see no reason Persona characters can't cameo in this. A version with just Persona characters, on the other hand, I can't see happening until a Persona RPG is on Nintendo hardware.

ckohler

I never played any of the other Persona games (I haven't played any RPGs in over a decade) but I just finished P4G yesterday and it was incredible. Loved it.

I didn't finish the Ayane social link either but it wasn't because I didn't want to. Just didn't have enough time.

So, is Igor and Margaret ever explained? Are they gods? I didn't do Margaret's social link either because I sucked at fusing. Why is the "velvet room" apparently in a car but then there are doors to it? I never understood what the Velvet room was. Everything else was mostly explained in the game except Igor and the Velvet Room.

I never played any of the other Persona games (I haven't played any RPGs in over a decade) but I just finished P4G yesterday and it was incredible. Loved it.

I didn't finish the Ayane social link either but it wasn't because I didn't want to. Just didn't have enough time.

So, is Igor and Margaret ever explained? Are they gods? I didn't do Margaret's social link either because I sucked at fusing. Why is the "velvet room" apparently in a car but then there are doors to it? I never understood what the Velvet room was. Everything else was mostly explained in the game except Igor and the Velvet Room.

To serve as one of the common threads tying the whole series together, Igor is in every Persona game. He is a servant of Philemon, along with Nameless, Belladonna, and Demon Artist/Painter. He himself, has 3 servants named Elizabeth, Margaret, and Theodore. Marie was an apprentice for a tiny period.

Not much is really explained of Igor, Philemon gets far more explanation.

The Velvet Room fits the nature of the group/guest that is currently in it. P1 was just sort of a room, P2 was a ball room, P3 was an elevator, P4 was a limo.

Yeah, a lot of people (myself included) would be very surprised if P5 didn't come out on PS3. Anything else (360, Vita, WiiU) is up in the air.

The only 2 scenarios where I could see the "no ps3" option happening would be next-gen only or 3DS only but both would surprise me.

Young Magus

To serve as one of the common threads tying the whole series together, Igor is in every Persona game. He is a servant of Philemon, along with Nameless, Belladonna, and Demon Artist/Painter. He himself, has 3 servants named Elizabeth, Margaret, and Theodore. Marie was an apprentice for a tiny period.

Not much is really explained of Igor, Philemon gets far more explanation.

The Velvet Room fits the nature of the group/guest that is currently in it. P1 was just sort of a room, P2 was a ball room, P3 was an elevator, P4 was a limo.

Any reason or explanations as to why they fit the nature of the characters or themes of the respective games?

Squire

Banned
P3 was an elevator because Tartarus was 260 floors. P4 was a limo because you had to be drunk to enjoy that game.

Oh har.

It's a limo in P4 because you're going into the TV world to rescue people on the Midnight Channel and you - the MC - are the star of the show.

Hollywood, baby.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder where the next Velvet Room will take place. I hope it's a rollercoaster or Ferris wheel.

I want to see the next Velvet Room take place in the grungiest looking hotel/motel room ever. Blue velvet would fit it so hilariously well.

Also, hi PersonaGAF! Glad to join you all in crazy speculation! :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe Hindu? I'd like them to do something like Mayan or Native American or Inuit, but I see them doing something more mainstream or just pulling from random mythologies like in P1.

P2 and P1 had Greek as well I believe. Maybe they'll go for Nordic?

Did any of you guys platinum P4G? I was wondering what the least time consuming way to get the remaining trophies was since I didn't get Hardcore Risette Fan on my first playthru. Maybe I should just reload my last save before the final boss and grind in all the dungeons until I get it.

I got the platinum. I did this as well, you can get the Rise Trophy at the Heaven Dungeon if you've had all party members' weaknesses, knockdowns, double/triple/quad kills, and scans on weak/avg/tough encounters. Good luck.

I want to see the next Velvet Room take place in the grungiest looking hotel/motel room ever. Blue velvet would fit it so hilariously well.

Also, hi PersonaGAF! Glad to join you all in crazy speculation! :D

Welcome! Be wary of haters, ok? I want to see the Velvet World. I'm sure they could expand the place between dream and reality :)

ULTROS!

Did any of you guys platinum P4G? I was wondering what the least time consuming way to get the remaining trophies was since I didn't get Hardcore Risette Fan on my first playthru. Maybe I should just reload my last save before the final boss and grind in all the dungeons until I get it.

I got the plat. If you stuck to one party, then you're in luck. Just use your weaker party members and fight through various dungeons, get them to die, retrieve various status effects, and make their lives critical.

The 100% Persona compendium is actually easy but it's better if you do it in your second playthrough. Max all the social links (there's a guide around the net, specifically for P4:Golden), go for very easy mode (so you can get over 5m Yen), and follow a creation guide if you get lost when creating Personas.

Curufinwe

I got the plat. If you stuck to one party, then you're in luck. Just use your weaker party members and fight through various dungeons, get them to die, retrieve various status effects, and make their lives critical.

Luckily I did have one main party, so it only took a few hours of grinding with the other three party members to get the HRF trophy. I didn't even need to get the lines from the final boss.

I was able to max out all the S.Links on my first playthru, and I'm up to 5/1 already on my second. I printed out a guide to getting all the books, since the Strength S.Link makes getting all of them tricky, especially if you choose basketball.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if "facing one's shadow" will return as a fundamental concept in Persona 5. It's been present in all of the Persona games so far to some capacity, but Persona 4 is probably the game that's done the most with it.

People's desires of P5's theme being social media has made me think of what I believe is called the Self-Discrepancy Theory. In the vein of personality turmoil, P5 could deal with the conflicts of one's "actual", "ideal" and "ought" selves. The Midnight Channel is pretty much the "ought", but I'm not sure the conflict between one's ideal self and actual self has been depicted in Persona before (maybe a bit in Persona 1 with Maki), and I guess it's something that could easily relate to social media and how one presents themselves to the world compared to who they truly are.

I dunno, stuff.

WatTsu

After playing (a lot of) Persona 4 Golden, I am wholly convinced that JRPGs are meant to be played on handhelds.

So I'm hoping some version of P5 gets put on the Wii U or Vita. I don't really care which.

Trigger

I wonder if "facing one's shadow" will return as a fundamental concept in Persona 5. It's been present in all of the Persona games so far to some capacity, but Persona 4 is probably the game that's done the most with it.

People's desires of P5's theme being social media has made me think of what I believe is called the Self-Discrepancy Theory. In the vein of personality turmoil, P5 could deal with the conflicts of one's "actual", "ideal" and "ought" selves. The Midnight Channel is pretty much the "ought", but I'm not sure the conflict between one's ideal self and actual self has been depicted in Persona before (maybe a bit in Persona 1 with Maki), and I guess it's something that could easily relate to social media and how one presents themselves to the world compared to who they truly are.

I dunno, stuff.

It was pretty much absent in Persona 3 where shadows were given the Monster of the Week treatment.

I'd like to see social media play a role, but I worry that it would stray into a lot of sappy stories.

FluxWaveZ

It was pretty much absent in Persona 3 where shadows were given the Monster of the Week treatment.

Persona 3 is probably in line with Persona 1 in how Shadows as one's repressed self is represented. It was Maki in P1, but it's also depicted in P3: FES: The Answer
with Metis, who turns out to basically be Aigis' Shadow
. Shadows not just being simply monsters was something that was definitely more prominent in P2 and P4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom