• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2008 Euro Release Date: Oct. 26th (US, Asia players welcome)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ryck said:
Has anyone in the US had any success preordering this damn game. I've tried Game and it won't let me create an account ( invalid postal code) I tried to contact their help department and when I tried to submit my problem the page timed out. I tried ShopTo.net and when I chose US as my country it knocked me back to the main page....Im really frustrated I am desperate to get this game but I don't want to go thru some two bit company. I have a Amazon.uk account but video games are restricted to europe customers only.

:mad:

That's so strange. Did you try my suggestions on game.co.uk in terms of entering info?

The game will certainly be available on e-bay (e.g., http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-PES-2008-Pr...Z117562QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem), though of course you may have to wait a couple days longer to get it and it's e-bay.

jakeellis01

I remember back in the old days when PES was an exclusive title for Playstation...

Nowadays, I think Konami has gone over to the 360, and recode it to the PC/PSP/PS2/PS3 etc...

somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Ryck

AstroLad said:
That's so strange. Did you try my suggestions on game.co.uk in terms of entering info?

The game will certainly be available on e-bay (e.g., http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-PES-2008-Pr...Z117562QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem), though of course you may have to wait a couple days longer to get it and it's e-bay.
Yeah I tried to set up an account but like I said it would not accept my zip code. I ended up going thru shopto.net they let me set up my account and I have successfully pre ordered the game. I hope the shipping doesn't take forever.

jakeellis01 said:
I remember back in the old days when PES was an exclusive title for Playstation...

Nowadays, I think Konami has gone over to the 360, and recode it to the PC/PSP/PS2/PS3 etc...

somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I read somewhere ( maybe here ) that it was developed for the PC then ported to ps360.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ryck said:
I read somewhere ( maybe here ) that it was developed for the PC then ported to ps360.

Correct.

Ruliweb: The game will be released in almost any platform possible. Is there any difficulty in doing so?

Seabass: To be frank, there isn't any specially-added difficulty just because we're releasing it for all the platforms. The game is being developed on a PC and and we port it to each different console. So there is not too much trouble in doing it.

Ryck

Hey Astrolad are we going to be able to play each other online, I mean considering it's a Euro game and all... I set up a euro account (in case that makes a difference). My Us Id is Ryck007 my Euro one is Vngless007 if you want to add me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ryck said:
Hey Astrolad are we going to be able to play each other online, I mean considering it's a Euro game and all... I set up a euro account (in case that makes a difference). My Us Id is Ryck007 my Euro one is Vngless007 if you want to add me.

Yeah I did the same. The only basis I have is that I play HSG 5 online with my US account and basically anyone in the world can play that. Also kpop and srider were able to play in the old WE9 league from Japan. I'm guessing (hoping) that unless Konami specifically locks people out, this will be worldwide as well.

spwolf

AstroLad said:
Hmm, I can't quite parse that. Maybe a meme I've missed?

a lot of games are first developed on PC and then moved to consoles for rest of development... a lot of PS3 exclusives too.

He also said that PES wont be the same on all platforms, even if they try.

The graphics for each version might differ, for each console has its own video power. AI for PS2 is not completely the same. But we've studied and tried hard, so that the gameplay won't be vastly different

We're trying to pursue the path where controlling feels like NES and smoothness of screen flows like PS3

Certainly seems as if he is suggesting that PS3 version is the smoothest.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
spwolf said:
a lot of games are first developed on PC and then moved to consoles for rest of development... a lot of PS3 exclusives too.

He also said that PES wont be the same on all platforms, even if they try.

Oh, right, right. I do think the PS3 and 360 versions will wind up being pretty close to each other, with one being marginally better and many people blowing that out of proportion.

For PES I prefer the PS3 controls and I want to import so it's a no-brainer for me, but I don't think the many US 360 PES players will be screwed over like they were last year and I hope it does well for the sake of the series.

ourumov

At the end gameplay is going to be the same which in this game is what counts. Hey, I own WE X, PES6(PS2), WE10(PS2) and WE10 + JL(PS2) and the one I play to death is still PES6... Gameplay and controls over graphics any time!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Just got my PS3, how do I get myself on that spreadsheet?

PS Network ID = Bi-7
Support Man Utd ;)

Region = PAL/UK

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks like 360 and PS3 will be identical, but maybe not completely; also Seabass slams the team:

IGN: How difficult has it been to create PES on PlayStation 3?

Seabass: Because of the weak points on the team it was really, really difficult to create PES on PS3. The workload has been massive, not just on PS3 but across all the next-gen, and that has been the hardest thing to overcome.

. . . .

IGN: PES makes its debut on PS3 this year. How satisfied with the game are you compared to the Xbox 360 game?

Seabass: This year the 360 and PS3 versions of the game are exactly the same so I'm satisfied with both. I think it's a good start.

IGN: In the PS3 version we've played we noticed some slow-down in the game, plus the crowd and stadiums aren't as polished as some of the on-pitch features. Will you look to rectify this in the next game?

Seabass: Of course. To be honest I don't think the slow-down is that bad compared to the 360 and as I said, we don't create just a PS3 game, we created both together. But when we compared them directly we were shocked because the PS3 has a little bit more slowdown and we don't really know why.

IGN: Which version do you prefer?

Seabass: I like both, but I don't really like the 360 pad that much. But then I don't really like the PS3 pad either - it's too light and the triggers don't feel right. I have been thinking of ways to only use two shoulder buttons instead of four so it would work better on PSP as well as 360 and PS3. I'm still looking into ways of using the L2 and R2 buttons less.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/827/827315p1.html

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Steroyd said:
And the triggers come back to bite us in the ass. :(

I hope you're satisfied America. :mad:

I remember that Seabass started to think about getting rid of the triggers because of the contemplated PSP version. It bothered me at the time, and it still bothers me a little, but what can you do? Sounds like the next version is going to be a complete revamping (even Seabass admits that this is still iterating on last-gen, and earlier versions, and sees this is an issue) so who knows what we'll be playing in PES 2009.

Chris R

When is the earliest I can play the whole game or a demo of this on my PS3 in America? I want a football game bad, even if I do have to spend some time changing some names around to get everything looking right(wish they could get the rights for the Premiership already or whatever).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
rhfb said:
When is the earliest I can play the whole game or a demo of this on my PS3 in America? I want a football game bad, even if I do have to spend some time changing some names around to get everything looking right(wish they could get the rights for the Premiership already or whatever).

Import and you'll probably have it first week of November. As long as you're running HDMI I know you're fine, component I think you're fine. Demo, no one knows. Option files are going to be really easy this time around, just d/l and load so no need to futz with the names yoruself. E.g.:

wenb1.jpg

Some people are reporting bad slowdown on the PS3 version. This guy received the game from Seabass at a tournament because he won it or something.

From pesfan:

Originally Posted by Marko9Gardinic
I'm guessing you've seen the slowdown at goal kicks on the 360 version of pes6? I get that at free kicks and throw ins, its not all the time but its there. When the ball is in play its sort of jittery looking, its like getting a little tiny bit of lag when playing online. Eventually though you just start getting used to it, but then it occasionally does quite a big stutter and I'm like ahhhh

The cut scene before the match and replays suffer the most, very choppy Theres a pause before taking free kicks for a few seconds then the whistle goes. I dont know if that is actually meant to happen or its just loading

Originally Posted by Adonis1:
Mate Im devastated if it has slowdown too, BUT i will say I played a very advanced code 2 weeks ago. It was on a nice 46inch Sharp HDTV and suffered from all the problems Marko is telling us about. Obviously they didnt have enough time to improve it.

Sounds pretty crap. The fact that Seabass said on IGN today that both versions suffer from slowdown, with the PS3 being slighty worse is disappointing.

It's sad that millions of people will buy this game and it's not even coded right, it probably sells more than MGS and that makes me a sad panda.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Paranoid_Robot said:
Sounds pretty crap. The fact that Seabass said on IGN today that both versions suffer from slowdown, with the PS3 being slighty worse is disappointing.

It's sad that millions of people will buy this game and it's not even coded right, it probably sells more than MGS and that makes me a sad panda.

It's bullshit, but by now I'm so used to it unfortunately. We're all mostly just junkies here, what can you do?

spwolf

AstroLad said:
It's bullshit, but by now I'm so used to it unfortunately. We're all mostly just junkies here, what can you do?

i could care less about intro and replays... gameplay is the key... lets see what happens... whenever new PES is being released, there is always an uproar how it is worse than before, then everyone plays it in few days...

In the end, PES is sooo natural at gameplay while Fifa makes you work... PES to the end :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
spwolf said:
i could care less about intro and replays... gameplay is the key... lets see what happens... whenever new PES is being released, there is always an uproar how it is worse than before, then everyone plays it in few days...

In the end, PES is sooo natural at gameplay while Fifa makes you work... PES to the end :D

Yeah, I completely agree on the cutscenes but if history is any indicator there will still be slowdown in certain set piece situations, esp. crowded corners. Bit frustrating since apparently it's not graphical wonder, but I agree with your conclusion regardless.

spwolf

AstroLad said:
Yeah, I completely agree on the cutscenes but if history is any indicator there will still be slowdown in certain set piece situations, esp. crowded corners. Bit frustrating since apparently it's not graphical wonder, but I agree with your conclusion regardless.

yeah, its cash cow... that plays really well...

I played Fifa demo for a while, then went to my bro's and played PES 6 on PS2... sooo natural. Looked bad on his LCD... but natural.... could play it forever.

Chris R

AstroLad said:
Import and you'll probably have it first week of November. As long as you're running HDMI I know you're fine, component I think you're fine. Demo, no one knows. Option files are going to be really easy this time around, just d/l and load so no need to futz with the names yoruself. E.g.:

wenb1.jpg
what is all the HDMI/Component all about? Right now I'm doing component on a SDTV.

spwolf said:

True but this is about slowdown which is really annoying. It's not one of the quirks in the gameplay such as the chips on PES4 or the overused freekicks of PES5.

I hope they fix it, they did last year with the 360 but it was a month after the update. After that the game was great although it did suffer slightly online. What annoyed me the most was the stupid freezing a split second before the ball went over the goal line online in PES6 for 360.

But as said, it's the closest game that plays like real football. Fifa is too slow for me, it feels like it's made by people who just watch football on the TV and haven't played it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
rhfb said:
what is all the HDMI/Component all about? Right now I'm doing component on a SDTV.

It has to do with PAL vs. NTSC. I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't believe you'll be able to see a PAL (Euro) version on an NTSC (American/Japanese) SD display. There may be some exceptions to this, but you'd have to look into it. You could play the JP version fine but then you've got the language barrier. Keep in mind importing all these costs a pretty penny right now (~$80-90 with shipping) so your best bet might be to wait it out.

Chris R

AstroLad said:
It has to do with PAL vs. NTSC. I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't believe you'll be able to see a PAL (Euro) version on an NTSC (American/Japanese) SD display. There may be some exceptions to this, but you'd have to look into it. You could play the JP version fine but then you've got the language barrier. Keep in mind importing all these costs a pretty penny right now (~$80-90 with shipping) so your best bet might be to wait it out.
oh wow that sucks :( Guess I can wait

Roxas

Decided to change my preorder to the Xbox 360 version.

1. No PS3 demo shows they may be hiding something
2. Seabass himself basically saying the PS3 version is inferior
3. Bad slowdown issues (well..worse than the 360 version)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just for fun, another interview with Seabass basically laying it all out on the line courtesy of the doombringers at WENB:

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/2007/10/gamesradar-pes-2008-seabass-interview.html

Apparently he says, "We tried to have an option of releasing the PS3 version later, but for various reasons we decided not to."

I do remember one year where the JP and EU versions were plagued by lag that was fixed for the NA versions. Hopefully will be the same here. Seems like they really could have benefited from a longer dev cycle. You listen to all these interviews and it's just Seabass saying "we suck at next gen" and "we suck at multiplatform" and "we're sorry, we'll do better next time."

Defintely one of the weirdest pre-release periods I can remember in a long time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Going back and forth on the pros and cons of each version (today's episode--Option Files on the 360):

Following a long wait and various conversations and begging with Microsoft it seems the news is not all good. The W.E.N.B. Option File due before the release of PES 2008 will be available for the PS3 but the team are now in limbo about the 360 version following the responses from Microsoft. Here are some extracts:

"Game saves are separate from profiles, but they are intertwined. When you sign into your Xbox 360 under your profile, all of your game progress is stored on your Hard Drive or Memory Unit and is associated with your current profile."

"Due to the outbreak of users having accounts stolen or 'hijacked' since the initial introduction of the Xbox 360 Console®, we had to disallow the trading of profile or profile information via different methods including many websites dedicated to this service."

"By distributing a game save you run the risk of having your current local "ConsoleID" values added to a Console Revocation List implemented in the regular Xbox 360 updates... you will face the risk of having your Xbox 360 Console® permanently banned from Xbox Live®."

So its seem that Microsoft are very anti-game saves, but although we requested clarification if this applies to Option Files they have in two different occasions dodged the question or indirectly made it clear that OF's are pretty much game saves. Now this puts us in a bit of a situation, where there are many fans out there who may be interested in the W.E.N.B. Option File for the 360. I will do some more chasing for the sake of our viewers.

I personally know that the OF's can be transferred via other methods including the Hard Drive transfer kit and the like. But the problem arises when I ask one of the team or risk getting my Console ID on the Revocation List!

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/2007/10/wenb-option-files-status.html

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hmm I may be selfish in asking this... but there seems to be a lot of PS3 vs 360 stance on this. Where's the PC love Seabass!?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FF_VIII said:
PS3 version confirmed.

Debated the PS2 (since there isn't major differences) but it's just easier to get the OF for the PS3 version.

Yeah, I hated goofing around with the Action Replay/MaxDrive. This is actually probably one of the best "improvements" this year for me it looks is just the ability to d/l OFs really easily.

speedpop said:
Hmm I may be selfish in asking this... but there seems to be a lot of PS3 vs 360 stance on this. Where's the PC love Seabass!?

That's a good point. I think it's just the nature of the questions he's being asked repeatedly and the fact that he's apparently disappointed with the next-gen versions. PC version (or maybe even PS2) may very well end up being the best provided you've got a cheapo dongle to use a DS2 with.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
tbh, the option file madness doens't upset me that much. I can play with fake team names and shirts, as long as the players are genuine.

All I wish was that the game would release in NA sometime before Spring 2008! WTF is the point of that?

In the meantime, we should probably move all of the PES discussion to the official PES2008 thread, no?

Kinan

AstroLad said:
I think it's just the nature of the questions he's being asked repeatedly

Seriously, IGN was somewhat assertive:
IGN: How difficult has it been to create PES on PlayStation 3?

IGN: PES makes its debut on PS3 this year. How satisfied with the game are you compared to the Xbox 360 game?

IGN: In the PS3 version we've played we noticed some slow-down in the game...

IGN: Which version do you prefer?

spwolf

AstroLad said:
Just for fun, another interview with Seabass basically laying it all out on the line courtesy of the doombringers at WENB:

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/2007/10/gamesradar-pes-2008-seabass-interview.html

Apparently he says, "We tried to have an option of releasing the PS3 version later, but for various reasons we decided not to."

I do remember one year where the JP and EU versions were plagued by lag that was fixed for the NA versions. Hopefully will be the same here. Seems like they really could have benefited from a longer dev cycle. You listen to all these interviews and it's just Seabass saying "we suck at next gen" and "we suck at multiplatform" and "we're sorry, we'll do better next time."

Defintely one of the weirdest pre-release periods I can remember in a long time.

you have to understand japanese mentality, which is very different than US/Euro... Thats main thing people dont understand when reading his interview... Japanese always talk openly about issues and apologize about them. US/Euro wouldnt mention them at all.

Lets see what happens with actual shipping version before we go with all the doomsday comments. I really doubt that Eurogamer, which loves to be critical, would rave about game with million issues.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
spwolf said:
you have to understand japanese mentality, which is very different than US/Euro... Thats main thing people dont understand when reading his interview... Japanese always talk openly about issues and apologize about them. US/Euro wouldnt mention them at all.

Lets see what happens with actual shipping version before we go with all the doomsday comments. I really doubt that Eurogamer, which loves to be critical, would rave about game with million issues.

Seabass has never been this critical of a release as far as I can tell, though as we have said he is refreshingly honest (much more so than even most Japanese developers). I think it will be a solid release as well, and the 8-9 scores will be justified. I think what you are seeing more than anything is Seabass's disappointment with not yet having a true next-gen PES out yet, and this is certainly not something that is the "problem" of any particular system, but more so the business model and the dev cycle.

Top Bottom