• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2008 Euro Release Date: Oct. 26th (US, Asia players welcome)

FF_VIII

Banned
I gave in and downloaded it off XBL. Apart from the controller (I can't use it with PES) the game is pretty awesome.

I didn't really try and score, was just diving all the time and seeing how many times I could get away with it. :D

East Lake

AstroLad said:
When we did the last few leagues, I usually posted a sign-up thread the week of release, let people sign up for a week, get the online kinks worked out, pick teams, etc. and then start roughly a week and a half or two after release. For the PES4/WE9 league we did a GAF World Cup first (single-elimination tourney) then the GAF Champions League (full league w/ playoffs).
Cool, should be one hell of a tournament. Hopefully we don't run into any overseas issues.

Steroyd

spwolf said:
he was an asshole that had the biggest budget in the history of football... with that being said, he should have won EPL and CL every single time, and he did not.

Fuk him, I loved Chelsea when they were 3rd in the league, before he took over. Now they are up there with Real Madrin on the most hated list.

This is what I don't get Man Utd were dominant in the 90's yet they only won the CL once, 2 semi's in 3 years under Mourinho is one hell of an acheivement (particularly how they shouldn't have even got to the semi's last year) to how things were, it's like criticising Chelsea for not going through a premiership season with a 100% record.

Ironically Abramovich wants to turn Chelsea into a Real Madrid they even have a ten year plan.

Holtz

llTll said:
the hell ??

the US version is coming next year? i am gona import the PS3 version the day it comes out. :/
The same. There is no way i'm waiting until next year. Thank God for region free.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So couple of updates, demos courtesy of reminder's demo thread.

- PSN demo supposed to go up on Thursday.
- PC demos available now: http://www.pesnews.com/index.php?nav=downloads/details&infoID=124
- Live (EU) demo also available now.

For our 360 brethren, Achievements!

xbox360achievements.com said:
First Glory
Achieved with your first victory.
Winning Streak
Achieved after 10 straight wins.
Hat-trick Hunter
Achieved after scoring 5 hat-tricks.
Gentleman
Achieved when your foul per match ratio drops below 1 foul in the
most recent 10 matches.
Owner
Achieved when your possession in the most recent 10 matches
is above 60%.
Long Ranger
Achieved when you score from a distance of more than 35m.
World Traveller
Achieved when all stadiums have been used.
PK Master
Achieved when you have won at least 10 penalty shootouts
following regulation time.
Goal Getter
Achieved when you have scored 100 goals.
Silver Service
Achieved when you have made 100 assists.
100 Matches
Achieved when you have played 100 matches.
100 Wins
Achieved when you have won 100 matches.
Ace Striker
Achieved after 20 matches when you've scored an average of
2+ goals in the most recent 5 games.
Super Striker
Achieved after 100 matches when you've scored an average of
2.5+ goals in the most recent 10 games.
Attacking Midfielder
Achieved after 100 matches when your pass success ratio is 85%
or more in the most recent 10 games.
Sniper
Achieved after 100 matches, when your shot success ratio is 70%
or more in the most recent 10 games.
Brick Wall
Achieved when you have kept 100 clean sheets.
England League Dominated
Achieved when you have beaten all England League teams.
Ligue 1 Dominated
Achieved when you have beaten all Ligue 1 teams.
Serie A Dominated
Achieved when you have beaten all Serie A teams.
Eredivisie Dominated
Achieved when you have beaten all Eredivisie teams.
Liga Española Dominated
Achieved when you have beaten all Liga Española teams.
National Teams Dominated
Achieved when you have beaten all national teams.
Ultimate Player
Achieved when you have played 500 matches, scored 1000
goals and have won all leagues and cups.
Winning Streak (Xbox LIVE)
Achieved when you have 5 successive Ranked Match wins in the
Xbox LIVE.
High Win Ratio
Achieved when your win ratio in Recent 20 match results of Xbox
LIVE goes above 75%.
FK Goal
Achieved when you score from a free-kick directly in a Xbox LIVE
Ranked Match.
Hat-trick Hunter (Xbox LIVE)
Achieved when you score a hat-trick in a Xbox LIVE Ranked Match.

I actually think the achievements are quite well-designed. Perhaps a bit on the easy side, but should be decent fun to pursue.

Steroyd

I could do all that except the XBL ones which will be full of cheating stat whore point scummers and I wouldn't be able to achieve naturally and have fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Steroyd said:
I could do all that except the XBL ones which will be full of cheating stat whore point scummers and I wouldn't be able to achieve naturally and have fun.

Yeah probably. One thing I can say about my WE9/PES 5 experience online is that there were very few cheaters or even cheap players. Even when I played against the Top 10 people, the games were tense and a respectable amount of the time resulted in a tie or victory for me. PES 6 felt a little more exploitable, but this may just have been because I really had barely any time to invest in it. I heard that the XBLA experience in 08 was quite brutal though (and didn't have 2 vs 2, the one thing I actually got to dig into and really enjoy in 6. Of course, the release was the definition of half-ass, unlike this year where it looks likely that the 360 will have, by a small margin, the best version (controller preferences aside). 360 players certainly deserve it after last year's debacle.

m14

Steroyd said:
This is what I don't get Man Utd were dominant in the 90's yet they only won the CL once.

There were the restrictions on fielding non- English players in Europe for some years (You were only allowed to field three "foreign" players and these included Welsh and Scottish):

"Did Bosman help Manchester United win the Champions League?

British clubs pre-Bosman found themselves at a huge disadvantage in European competitions, because Uefa decreed that Welsh and Scottish players counted as foreigners under their "three-plus-two" rule. That meant that United, for example, had to make wholesale changes to their normal line-up when playing in Europe - most memorably when Alex Ferguson brought English goalkeeper Gary Walsh in for the Danish Peter Schmeichel in the 4-0 thrashing by Barcelona in 1994-5. When clubs were suddenly freed to play all the EU players they wanted, Sir Alex Ferguson was at last able to play his first-choice XI in Europe. Only five of the 13 players who featured in United's 1999 Champions League final win over Bayern Munich were English. Before the Bosman ruling, that team could never have set foot on the pitch. (from BBC Sport.)"

Also remember that English clubs were banned from Europe from several years after Heysel, an obvious disadvantage. That said, United did manage to win the Cup Winners Cup in 1991. Plus they had built a side to win things domestically, but in Europe the demands are often different requiring another style of play to win.

Steroyd

For a first I'm going to do Master League with original players.

But after I get all the league trophies which is something I've never done in Pro Evo.

mauaus

Played the demo for PC with a PS2 pad, ill be glad to answer any Question
but heres my impressions.

Its fastpaced just as you have heard before, but the controls are tight. There are plenty of moves some i didnt try because i just wanted to play it
Diving is a blast but it is hard it was cool because it adds a certain never before seen realism. I was playing Argentina - Brasil and robinho crossed, i jumped to clear the ball but Sobis didnt, he took a dive. THe referee didnt buy it and he booked him. Its kinda like an art
The 2min 1/2 halfs are frustrating, they go by so fast
Shooting is harder (or different) but feels good, i scored a very nice subtle touch with Riquelme from outside the box, looked great!
The graphics to me (an avid ps2 We player) looked gorgeous, specially the faces!!!!

Anyways i thought it was really good, cant wait for the final game

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So a couple new bits of news courtesy the winningelevenblog:

-OPM UK gives PES 2008 9/10:
OPM UK said:
There's no other game on PS3 that you're guaranteed to be playing obsessively this time next year. PES is magic because it is football in all its glory and madness, and as such you're never really finished with it.

-PSN demo possibly delayed until ?
winningelevenblog said:
Right now this is totally unofficial, but I've heard some pretty bad news for the PS3 owners who were hoping to be able to download the PES 2008 demo today. As many of you know Sony only update PSN every Thursday, meaning if the owners were going to get a demo it would be today.

After talking to a few guys in the business though things look grim. It's now most likely the demo will be released next Thursday, with the consolation of a new video put up instead.

So far this hasn't been confirmed, and to be fair I certainly hope I'm wrong. We'll let you know as soon as we hear anything.

It's another downer on Sony's behalf. We know it's something Konami have no control over, let's just hope Sony get it sorted out asap.

Steroyd

I'm absolutely shocked at the OPM UK score absolutely shocked and yes this is sarcasm.

with the consolation of a new video put up instead.

Video... consolation.... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :/

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
What the fuck is holding up the demo? Is it that they are worried their bandwidth can't handle it? I think it might be that EA don't want it to come on PSN the day before their game is released, they are hoping people will get bored and go and buy their game.

Steroyd

New interview on IGN.

Seabass: 'Making PES 2008 was Really, Really Tough'
Pro Evo producer Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka talks about the long, sometimes painful, labour of PES 2008.
by Alex Simmons, IGN UK

UK, October 1, 2007 - Considering he's the brains behind the critically acclaimed Pro Evolution Soccer series, Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka likes to keep a low profile. Indeed, when the PlayStation 3 version debuted at Leipzig in August it was notable not because it was the first time PES was playable on a next-gen Playstation, but because Seabass wasn't there to show off his highly-anticipated baby.

But, despite his knack for steering clear of the limelight IGN was granted an audience with the man that made PES, to talk about what we can expect from the next in the series and what elements of his games make him most proud.

IGN: What are the main additions to PES 2008 over PES6?

Seabass: Obviously, it will be the first next-gen format on the PS3. Since we started on next-gen formats last season we have finally had time to make big changes that are much more noticeable in the game. For example, visually it's clear to see we changed a lot. We also redesigned the menus, plus the models of the players are much more beautiful. Players will notice that right away.

We have also introduced our new Teamvision AI. This is a sophisticated AI programme that learns and adapts according to the player's style of gameplay.

IGN: Can you explain how the Teamvision AI system learns from the way people play?

Seabass: If it's attacking AI, when you get the ball back from the CPU it will remember how you did it. So, the next time the CPU attacks, it will do so differently, maybe passing the ball around faster or changing the timing of dummies. When defending, the Teamvision AI learns how a player prefers to attack and changes its tactics accordingly. For instance, if a player often attacks down the side then the CPU will try to have their defenders take care of the wings.

On top of that, each team has its own strategies, to become more aggressive when attacking or defending depending on the flow of the match. Overall, this AI helps make the flow of the game close to the real football match.

IGN: What new moves will feature in the game and how will players be able to pull them off?

Seabass: We cannot say which but there are plenty of new moves in the game. When we say moves it's not just about a single, certain move either. Instead there are more subtle things, such as the timing of passes, the start of runs… We've tweaked and changed these timings and that affects the way the game plays, so much so it often feels like some of the moves are new.

IGN: How difficult was it creating the next generation of PES while still keeping the famed gameplay and control at its core?

Seabass: It was really, really tough, because we knew that this was going to be the stepping stone for taking our title into the next gen. We realised that past PES games were pretty much close to perfect - we tweaked the games every year and continued to do so for a long time, so it was natural for the game to be good. However, we knew we'd have to start afresh for the next-gen game.

IGN: What new modes will feature in the PS2 game?

Seabass: There are two new things. Firstly, there's World Tour Mode, in which you have to go around the world and battle it out against the club teams. For every match there's a mission you need to accomplish, such as 'come from behind and win after 75 minutes into the game', 'perform a hat trick', 'score from a set piece' and so on. To win you need to fulfill these conditions against all the 50-plus club teams in the game. For core PES players, this new mode will undoubtedly be exciting to play.

The Community Mode is also new. It keeps records of all the games you play against friends, so you can see who scores the most and the percentage of wins you notch up, as well as who's the most consistent scorer and so on. You can also keep track of two-v-two matches, to see which pairing works best.

IGN: Will there be new teams and leagues in the game?

Seabass: We have increased the number of teams this year, yes, and it's not at the expense of other features either, which we're happy about. There are plenty of new licensed club teams such as Tottenham Hotspur, RSC Anderlecht and Spartak Moscow, as well as official national teams like Brazil, Scotland and Portugal. In total there are now more than 250 teams.

IGN: How has the Master League been expanded for the next generation versions?

Seabass: I finally accomplished one of the things I wanted to do for a long time, which was increase the number of teams in the league from 16 to 20. Now they look and work as authentically as real football leagues. It's not a huge point but it has always been something I wanted to do.

We have also upgraded the glitter side of the Master League, by adding weekly reports, displaying the replays and highlights of the match in the main menu… We really wanted to build something that would make users feel more involved with the players and the club teams they create and manage. We have also added a 'popularity' rating for each club, which affects negotiations when transferring players.

IGN: Is there one element of PES 2008 you are most proud of?

Seabass: I am most proud that we created something that surpasses PES6. In terms of AI and the way the game plays, I think this creates a new game to the PES of old. The traditional PES graphics have improved too and I'm proud we have accomplished both - the graphics and the gameplay - at the same time. You will have a great time with your friends, I guarantee that!

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/824/824000p1.html

Very interesting how this will work out.

Kinan

AstroLad said:
It's now most likely the demo will be released next Thursday

So it means it this Thursday, right? Cant wait, after playing both PC and PS3 demos of FIFA08 I do not allow anymore PC demos to form my opinion on PS3 versions. PES PC demo was quite ok though, especially in high quality, hope that PS3 version is at least not worse.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for posting the interview Steroyd, sounds good. I guess they are still adding stuff to the PS2 that they aren't adding to next-gen. Feels like PS2 is still the "main" version although obviously the graphics will be a decent ways off this year. Ah well, time for me to move on anyway.

Kinan said:
So it means it this Thursday, right? Cant wait, after playing both PC and PS3 demos of FIFA08 I do not allow anymore PC demos to form my opinion on PS3 versions. PES PC demo was quite ok though, especially in high quality, hope that PS3 version is at least not worse.

There's really nothing reliable to go on, this is the latest scuttlebutt from pesfan (summarizing the WENB podcast). It mostly sounds like FUD, but most of the rumors recently have been true (PC demo release date, 360 demo, etc.):

Greg Downs said:
Just listened to the WENB podcast and was shocked but not surprised to hear it confirmed that Sony has the PES2008 demo and has had it since Microsoft had it (i.e. at least ten days ago now).

The podcasters go on to 'speculate' (no way of telling if this is their way of transmitting off-the-record briefings) that Sony deliberately withheld the demo last Thursday so as not to trample on EA's toes with the release of FIFA the following day.

Another branch of that speculation was that Sony wants to trickle out the few demos it has, so we got Sega Rally last week on its own as Sony don't want to 'waste' two big demos in the same week when they can release them in consecutive weeks and make PS3 owners feel that they're getting lots of content regularly.

Konami 'are aware of the backlash' from PS3 owners about the non-appearance of the demo.

The two blokes on the podcast say numerous times that this is something Sony has got to sort out because PS3 owners are just getting more and more aggravated. Word, fellas!

And finally, there is no guarantee the demo will be out this Thursday or - wait for it - even at all....

Kinan

I finally accomplished one of the things I wanted to do for a long time, which was increase the number of teams in the league from 16 to 20. Now they look and work as authentically as real football leagues. It's not a huge point but it has always been something I wanted to do.

We have also upgraded the glitter side of the Master League, by adding weekly reports, displaying the replays and highlights of the match in the main menu… We really wanted to build something that would make users feel more involved with the players and the club teams they create and manage. We have also added a 'popularity' rating for each club, which affects negotiations when transferring players.

Master League will have my soul for another year it seems :) Great news.

Steroyd

I hope everything from the PS2 version translates into the PS3, it all sounds intriguing.

Although world tour mode, wow never thought of anything like that, i'm usually good at pushing for a win when i'm a goal down, but to do it on purpose. O_O

Kinan

Steroyd said:
Although world tour mode, wow never thought of anything like that, i'm usually good at pushing for a win when i'm a goal down, but to do it on purpose. O_O

Sounds like achievements mode in FIFA. Should be a nice addition, adds another challenge after you mastered all other modes.

Lightning

Banned
So let me get this straight.... Sony to appease EA are withholding the PES08 demo from the publisher (Konami) who is most important to them over this holiday period? How the fuck does that make sense and why the fuck do Sony give a shit about EA?

Further to that is Sony are putting out a PES08 bundle on the PS3. They should be hyping this game throughout all of fucking Europe to gather sales, not worry about the idiots at EA.

EA are putting nothing but shovelware on the PS3...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lightning said:
So let me get this straight.... Sony to appease EA are withholding the PES08 demo from the publisher (Konami) who is most important to them over this holiday period? How the fuck does that make sense and why the fuck do Sony give a shit about EA?

Further to that is Sony are putting out a PES08 bundle on the PS3. They should be hyping this game throughout all of fucking Europe to gather sales, not worry about the idiots at EA.

EA are putting nothing but shovelware on the PS3...

Really I think it just comes down to the fact that no one knows what the hell is going on with this demo.

Steroyd

I know if Sony doesn't put up the demo they deserve to have shit sales compared to the Xbox 360 I swear to god their collaboration with EA shouldn't affect anything. :mad:

Ryck

Steroyd said:
I know if Sony doesn't put up the demo they deserve to have shit sales compared to the Xbox 360 I swear to god their collaboration with EA shouldn't affect anything. :mad:
Sadly alot of us are importing from europe so we only have one choice. :(

Afrikan

just ordered......now we wait.....

do fellow Americans know how long it might take for the game to finally get here...got it from choicesuk releases 26th.... how long are we talking here......

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Afrikan said:
just ordered......now we wait.....

do fellow Americans know how long it might take for the game to finally get here...got it from choicesuk releases 26th.... how long are we talking here......

About a week based on my past importing experience.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Some interesting impressions from WENB comparing a later build to the demo:

After having a mixed first 5 mins with the game I was ready to kick off. Choosing 3 guys to always go up for corners (Nesta, Inzaghi and Ronaldo should do it) the match started. Quickly popping the game into wide cam I was treated to one of the best experiences I've had with a Pro Evo game...EVER. Gone was the frustration regarding the underwhelming front end, the gameplay is where its at and PES 2008 has it in abundance.

The first thing to hit me was the slow pace. It's been a while since playing an advanced version in Leipzig, so it was much clearer for me compare the two versions. All I can say is that it's very close to the speed of Fifa 08. The X360 version was a little quicker and a little brighter in its colours, but it was pretty much the same. Gone were the players zipping around at an alarming pace in the demo, everything seemed more considered and lifelike. It was great to be passing the ball about, creating some beautiful moves and scoring some special (and meaningful) goals. I even managed to dive and grab a penalty! At first I also found it difficult to score, the 'keepers are certainly miles better than the demo. They are fantastic on 1-on-1 situations, closing down the angles very quickly.

The feeling of playing PES was there. Whether that's a good thing or bad remains to be seen with some of the fans, as perhaps its a sign of the series not really moving on. It certainly feels familiar. In my eyes though that's a good thing, it was a pleasure to play, and left me with the feeling that I'd just played a game that I'll be playing for many months to come.

The build that I played was around 3 weeks old, and had some issues that I was assured will be fixed in the final versions. I noticed slowdown on replays and corners, as well as some loss of detail when in wide cam - the boots all went to black, and you couldn't even see the rain!
http://www.winningelevenblog.com/2007/10/wenb-on-location.html

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
EuroGamer impressions of a 90% build:

Players were far more flexible and lithe, and were able to flick the ball off their chests then turn with greater fluidity than in PES6, making for more flowing matches. Conversely (and perhaps this will be tweaked in the final version) star players such as Ronaldinho ran like they were on rails, enabling us to smoothly pull off dribbles that made Maradona's surge against England in ‘86 look like an everyday occurrence. If you're more fond of dribbling than a toddler with an over active saliva gland, you're likely to be in seventh heaven if Konami don't make any last minute alterations, though some of you will no doubt be spitting bile at just how easy it can be to bamboozle opposition defences with more skilful players.

. . . .

Let's move onto ball physics, which admittedly, is always a highly subjective topic. This build saw a decent improvement over last season's pinging pig's bladder and there was a far greater sense of weight to how the ball moved. Slow passes bobbled as they skimmed over the grass, while thunderous shots looked as though they'd been fired out of a cannon. Bounces were also slightly more muted (no bad thing), resulting in free flowing games containing fewer farcical pinball incidents.

These refined ball physics also complemented the revamped passing and shooting controls. This year it seems we're back to having more control over pass and shot power, while through balls are far tougher to pull off. However, when we did manage to thread the eye of the needle, the teeth grindingly annoying defender teleportation feature (whereby the last defender would miraculously outpace you once you were through on goal) from last year's version didn't seem nearly as evident here.

. . . .

Also new this year is a revamped Master League featuring bolstered player interaction features (admittedly we only had a chance to take a quick look at this and will reserve any judgement till the finished version) and a Track Record section that charts achievements and sets specific goals e.g. win ten penalty shootouts or score a 35-meter goal. Track Record will also keep a record of how many games you win, lose and draw, and even provide you with a set of grades for your tackling, passing, and attacking abilities.

. . . .

While Pro Evo 2008 is unlikely to be a revolutionary leap forward for the series, it certainly looks to be an improvement over last year's version, tackling several key issues and adding some great new tweaks and features. It's too early to make concrete predictions right now, as the version we played was still around 10% off completion, but things are certainly looking positive, despite the odd concern. Just three weeks to go...

More detail at: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84801

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I am going to get this, but live in the US. If I order a copy from Europe for my 360, will it work?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FF_VIII said:
360 version is region locked.

Is that CONFIRMED? I've seen blog posts that seemed pretty certain, but they seemed to be relying on the notion that everything on 360 is region-locked, which isn't the case, so I'm not sure.

Northern Americans get royally screwed this time around; I think the current projected release date is Spring '08 so they may not be targetting their typical February release.

woodchuck

there better be a GAF league for the 360 version in February.

I'm also kind of dissapointed that it's easy to dribble around, and there's a lot of it. That was one of my biggest problems with PES2007. I'm more fond of creating chances by great passes and not by dribbling.

Blablurn

I'm really looking forward to this game! I'm a PES whore for years now...

Nevertheless I bought FIFA 08 to play some online matches before the release of PES.

And you know what? It's not that bad, but it's really really far away to be on the same level where PES is right now. The Gameplay is just not as free and realistic as in PES. it sucks sometimes -_-

so folks...

...20 days to go!

h0pper

anyone know wether or not the 360 version is region locked for sure?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Thanks AstroLad. After that French 10 min demo match played, I sort of knew that the demo was tweaked for faster gameplay.. but that article practically confirms it.

Oct 26th cannot come anytime sooner.

DoubleTap

I can't believe I'm importing this but then again I cannot wait until 2008. Last time I imported was in the Super Famicom days. My wallet hurts :-(

h0pper

oh..my..God. I've spent about 2 hours playing the PES2008 demo, and tbh I'm considering buying PES2007 over FIFA08. This game is 10x better. I am legitimately pissed that no one ever introduced PES to me before this. I have Ryck to thank.

Steroyd

h0pper said:
oh..my..God. I've spent about 2 hours playing the PES2008 demo, and tbh I'm considering buying PES2007 over FIFA08. This game is 10x better. I am legitimately pissed that no one ever introduced PES to me before this. I have Ryck to thank.

:lol

One of us
One of us

The Xbox 360 version of PES 2007 got the shaft with no edit feature, I think there was some other stuff missing to compared to the PS2 counterpart, on the other hand it will be very cheap to pick up now.

h0pper

Steroyd said:
:lol

One of us
One of us

The Xbox 360 version of PES 2007 got the shaft with no edit feature, I think there was some other stuff missing to compared to the PS2 counterpart, on the other hand it will be very cheap to pick up now.

Is the gameplay similar to the PES2008 demo's gameplay? If so, there is no question I'm getting PES07 over FIFA08.

Ryck

Has anyone in the US had any success preordering this damn game. I've tried Game and it won't let me create an account ( invalid postal code) I tried to contact their help department and when I tried to submit my problem the page timed out. I tried ShopTo.net and when I chose US as my country it knocked me back to the main page....Im really frustrated I am desperate to get this game but I don't want to go thru some two bit company. I have a Amazon.uk account but video games are restricted to europe customers only.

:mad:

Top Bottom