• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT| YOUR MAJESTY

FUN points have any use other than FUN scratch game?

I'm having hard times trying to undestand a lot of things, so annoying to have to alt+tab, search a guide and indentify weird kanjis everytime. :(

Nishastra

Banned
Tried the cats again. I actually had an easier time out in the open. The key to the fight is to stay close to them and try to stay to their side.

Their close-range attacks are far easier to deal with than the lunge, though don't get too close behind them, as they have a kick that's pretty fast.

If they're ever far away and facing you, it's time to think about dodging. Or, really, it's time to dodge immediately.

Also never use Just Reversal because that just opens you up to being comboed to death.

I still lost, but I didn't suddenly feel completely out of control the moment the second one jumped in. I was just unlucky and got knocked into a corner with both of them facing me as I got up.

About 44k exp before I hit level 30 and I still don't have all the photons... just need 19 or so from the volcano. Most of the rest of my team is already well into their 30s x_x

Nishastra

Banned
It seems like most of the people on my friends list ceased playing the moment after they accepted my friend request. And I've had the maximum number of requests out unaccepted for... a long time :p

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Going back to Vindictus EU after getting all the way up to Hard Mode in this was like travelling 10 years into the future.

Sega are going to have to add a frightful amount of content to this for it to survive as a f2p endeavour. Other than scratching a retro itch, I didn't find much to love or even like in here.

I plan to play a lot more once I can get on to ship 2, if i'm going to sink a lot of time I want to be around most of the english community for most of it.

I hit level 13 with a RAmar and then tried out some other classes to prep myself up, I really like ranger in this game.

Going back to Vindictus EU after getting all the way up to Hard Mode in this was like travelling 10 years into the future.

Sega are going to have to add a frightful amount of content to this for it to survive as a f2p endeavour. Other than scratching a retro itch, I didn't find much to love or even like in here.

The first major content update is happening literally two weeks after the game's official launch. Not fast enough for you?

It also helps to play on a cohesive goal-oriented team. It's always been the people I play with that keep me going.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

What did Vindictus start out with? If I remember correctly, the US version had 2 characters to choose from, which you couldn't really modify all that much. And that was after the game was out for few years in Korea, right?
PSO2 is supposed to be getting a big update every month, sometimes it being the story, new fields (like this Thursday, when we'll get the mines), new fashion stuff etc.
Clearing the current content - capping level, mag and 100% all 5 Matter Boards takes around... 120 hours.

Edit:
One hour long maintenance during which the character creation limit will be removed is planned for Tuesday.
Starting time:
Mon, Jul 16 4:30pm PDT
Mon, Jul 16 6:30pm CDT
Mon, Jul 16 7:30pm EDT
Mon, Jul 16 11:30pm UTC
Tue, Jul 17 8:30am JST

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It also helps to play on a cohesive goal-oriented team. It's always been the people I play with that keep me going.

When the goal became "do everything on hard mode again to level for Tundra", my entire team alongside myself decided it was off the shelf until they add all future levels + new weapons and re-jigger that grind portion since its obviously making up for lack of content currently.

Theres also just not enough gameplay to keep me entertained. Had all the photon arts for my melee weapons early on, thats about it. Graphically the game feels like a baby step beyond PSU.

I'd been meaning to go back to Vindictus, especially now its got that wealth of 2 years of content, but even then the base package and before all the additional I remember it as an action packed take on the PSO like formula, tons of varying looking loot/armour, and some pretty damn sharp graphics. When Evie and magic soon came in, that made the whole thing a full title in the area, and that was a fair while back. Obviously theyre still adding stuff like the bruiser character and the absolute newest archer character, but as something that was fun to play and a fresh feel on the genre it cannot be rated enough. Even the grindy portions to get more points in a quest have interesting different approaches to gameplay attached such as finishing enemies with sub-weapons, items, kickings and varying difficulty levels from the start. PSO2 just has speed runs.

Sega's misstep with PSU has neutered them however into this "just PSO1 again please, different paint" position that tickles a retro itch but doesnt take the genre or gameplay to anywhere different since essentially photon arts in 2006. Worse still, the opressive atmosphere that made PSO ep1-4 feel so alien is completely missing while PSO2 is more an extension of PSU's anime-tacular awful approach.

The longer I leave PSO2 though to go back when the content is there, the older its going to feel. Korean developers and Capcom with Monster Hunter have really conquered this space while Sega had it's pants down.

Edit: nvm.

As a post with some merit though, I had a ~9 minute cross burst in City today. That was pretty awesome. I went from 38 to 39 in about 8 minutes 20 seconds :)

Recall

Edit: nvm.

As a post with some merit though, I had a ~9 minute cross burst in City today. That was pretty awesome. I went from 38 to 39 in about 8 minutes 20 seconds :)

How do you get to the city stuff? Is it random? As I had a city quest pop up and I couldn't take down the boss within the time limit, but was unable to try it again :(

How do you get to the city stuff? Is it random? As I had a city quest pop up and I couldn't take down the boss within the time limit, but was unable to try it again :(

It's an hour-long event that's only announced 15 minutes before it starts. Since launch there have been two variations - the original with the Dark Ragne fight at the end, and another where you need to kill 500 points worth of enemies within the time limit.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It pops randomly at full hours and lasts for 1 hour. There are currently 2 types of city quests - one requires you to gather 500 points and other to beat Dark Ragne. People mostly ignore it and run around in multiparties and farm xp/items.

I didn't have as much luck as 22 - got from 26 to 27 in an hour.

It pops randomly at full hours and lasts for 1 hour. There are currently 2 types of city quests - one requires you to gather 500 points and other to beat Dark Ragne. People mostly ignore it and run around in multiparties and farm xp/items.

I didn't have as much luck as 22 - got from 26 to 27 in an hour.

I know I wouldn't skip Dark Ragne - I need lots more weapons/armor with Ragne souls.

Recall

Thanks to you both for the info. I've yet to figure out when the announcments are for the city hour or when upcoming maintenance is happening.

I'm currently sat at level 13 and progress is kind of slow not had time to start the level 13 cave quest so just being doing the level 11 one over, and over and over...

Coxy

Sega's misstep with PSU has neutered them however into this "just PSO1 again please, different paint" position that tickles a retro itch but doesnt take the genre or gameplay to anywhere different since essentially photon arts in 2006

The interrupt events alone add a new layer, as does the PSE system, as does the multi party area system, Maybe you dont appreciate them but they're great ideas

Recall

Anyone up for some battlin'? Ship 2, block 22. Right now.

I've hit that point that playing solo just aint that much fun :(

Recall

I was killing cave monsters for quests :(

Only level 14 after 18 hours in...feel like I'm doing something wrong considering how so many people have already hit 40.

Nishastra

Banned
That sounds about right.

I'm level 34 at like 110 hours... :p

Though when I'm solo (which is 99% of the time), I do tend to go idle for long periods, so there's probably a lot of extra hours in that count.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They've set that locking the creation again is possible so It's better to hurry, I guess.
To all the new people on S02 who want to join Team GAF - don't forget to whisper to one of us.

Bah I made Nakiti's legs too thin but I dare not risk deleting her in case I can't remake, oh well, also first time i've mainly played a female in pso :p usually I use them for a little fun and main the male RA but not this time.

What's the whisper command btw?

*edit* nm i read the guide thread :p

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
How screwed would I be trying to play this as someone who only speaks English. Would it be unplayable?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How screwed would I be trying to play this as someone who only speaks English. Would it be unplayable?
Given there's a ton of guides and a pretty big English speaking community? Not really. Most of our team which has 60 members doesn't speak Japanese at all, afaik.

Nishastra

Banned
I killed the cats, finally. The way I did it was dumb but not really any easier than just fighting them head-on. I almost died a couple of times anyway :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think we've spent about 2 hours on the hard mode time attack quest. Didn't beat it in the end - the closest we got was 12:40, which is probably 10 seconds short from the S rank (985/1000 points). So intense.
Funny thing is that we've even got one PSE Burst while doing it.

So, reinstalled it and it works (for) now so I deleted my Ship 6 character to recreate her on Ship 2

character name : Sakura
player name : InternHertz

Add me in the list please, and on your friend lists /bow

LaneDS

Did this end up feeling more similar to PSO or PSU to those that have logged a great many hours? Hoping for the former, obviously.

Nishastra

Banned
Did this end up feeling more similar to PSO or PSU to those that have logged a great many hours? Hoping for the former, obviously.
Well, I loved PSO and... did not love PSU.

I like this one a lot. A lot of things are a lot like PSO. Of course it's also very different, and it's not "done" yet... But just the feel of it I'd definitely say is like PSO, though the actual gameplay is a lot more dynamic.

Hopefully they can keep getting new areas and Very Hard/Ultimate mode (with appropriate level caps) out quickly enough to keep people's interest. It's a little weird how, because of the order of implementation, there will be no such thing as a "normal" version of any new areas.

LaneDS

That's encouraging. Based on what I had seen, it seemed like it might be closer to PSU (which I also didn't like), so I'll continue to look forward to the English release next year.

Top Bottom