• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

So I've started playing the English South East Asia version (apparently there is no longer a need for a VPN to get around the block for the US). Feels great to play PSO2 in English without a patch or VPN...any tips for beginners? I just finished the prologue mission.

wait.........................WUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
Bruh, download link, STAT.

The official SEA version site: http://pso2.playpark.com/sg/index

Just download and sign-up.

Wait, what changes?

9lI5YRC.jpg

Damn, before, I wasn't even able to download this thanks to the sites blocking me. But now I can.

14 gigs, will be done in 18 mins.

But ima make a whole new account with another email different from my JPN account, just in case.

Guys, don't bother with SEA, really. It's just not worth it. The Tweaker and associated patches seem to do a pretty good job of translating just about anything you'd need to know on the JP side, and you won't be two years behind in content over there.

Cosmetics binding on equip was the big one, I think I remember something about them messing with grinder rates but I might just be making that up.

Also leveling rates are somehow even worse and the exp pay outs of Client orders are as well. Most importantly, the game's balance is out of whack as they adopted the PA/Tech number value changes that the JP server made at the start of episode 3 without also fixing the math behind those numbers so some things are absurdly strong now (rodeo drive is a bossing PA for example) or stupid weak. They're 2 years behind in terms of content and the player economy is incredibly harsh.

I really can't recommend it.

ezodagrom

Oh wow, they're still on Ruins. That's like 2 years behind the Japanese version, right?
Checking their page, their last update was on January, which added the Sanctum area (which is still pretty much 2 years behind JP).

EDIT: Their patch notes list is outdated, seems like their latest area was quarry.

So, compared to JP, the SEA version is missing Seabed, Mothership, Dark Falz Loser, Shironia, Facility, Ultimate Naberius, Magatsu, Challenge Quest 1, and Ultimate Lillipa.
Soon JP is also getting Kuronia, Challenge Quest 2 and Dark Falz Double.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
OMG! I CANT BELIEVE I'M FINALLY PLAYING THE ENGLISH VERSION!

IM SO HAPPY!!

I wouldn't get too excited or invested in this. According to a redditor located in Singapore, the IP block being dropped may have more to do with several erroneous IP blocks on local ISPs. There's a good chance the block will be back in place by the time the next maintenance goes into effect, though it is just speculation for now.

Which is probably for the best, for all the reasons explained above. SEA version is severely gimped.

Well, ima atleast get through all the tutorial stuff in this english version so I atleast know wtf im doing if I have to go back to the JPN version.

well I'll at least play until the IP block is back in place. Though guess I'll ask now for later reference, best VPN to access/play the game (along with the most updated translation patch)?

Careful guys who are getting into the SEA version just cause it's in English, despite how inaccurate and awful it is. The game over there is a total train-wreck and the economy is destroyed. 50 million costumes, values of numbers out of wack such as Very Hard enemies using Super Hard data because of costume stats (again another weird thing), scratch completion nonsense.

Just giving you people a warning. The JP servers may not have a 100% english patch, and it may be inaccurate or wrong as well, but at least the actual game is up to date, there's a decent economy for even new players. For those even wanting to spend actual money, it's got fair systems in place. Sega and AsiaSoft both really messed up this SEA version.

rotar2

Neo Member
Got really hyped about this English version (SEA version) being available for everybody again, only to be massively disappointed after reading all the cons of playing on the SEA servers.

SO! I finally buckled down and went through the JP registration process and the d/ling of the client through the PSO2 Tweaker (actually still d/ling as we speak) to cure my need for some PSO. It's been a long time coming and I'm looking forward to it.

That all being said, what tips would you guys give for a complete beginner like me? The last iteration I have played was PS 0 on the DS, but I have played the original PSO and its continuation, Blue Burst, extensively.

Awesome post! Thank you for your help.

Also, can you opt to switch ships at a later point? I've heard the main English ships are 2 and 10, but I'm just wondering if I would be able to switch back and forth between them.

You're allowed two characters account-wide, so if you want to try another ship the easiest way to do it is to make another character there. Characters can be transferred, but it costs real money, your storage doesn't go with you (it stays with the ship), and is only done once a week during maintenance.

Note on this weeks' patch:
They're going to be applying that +100% exp boost to AQs permanently. As advertised this will make them a really good way to level at a reasonable pace (outside of specific EQs with high EXP payouts like TD:Despair). Trigger a PSE Burst, go to a corner map Cell and start spamming AOEs, rafoies, or whatever else you can to kill as many enemies as possible.

But before you go running to SHAQ, let me instead recommend sticking with VHAQs, even after level 70. The problem with SHAQ is that it eventually transitions into basically XHAQ as enemies begin to go over level 70. As a result the enemy's HP gets boosted up a ton which really ruins PSE Bursts. They'll take more hits to kill, wasting even more time from the PSE Timer and likely ruining bursts. A perfect scenario burst in VHAQ can last upwards of 30 minutes, more than enough to get a level at 70+. And you can always convert up tiers for AQ rocks or caps if you intend on getting the AQ weapons or doing SHAQ runs (also the rare drops from AQs are all garbage anyway so its ok).

If the reduced enemy HP they also mentioned fixes the level70+ enemy problem, I'll make another post.

Speaking of the patch, maintenance is two hours early this week, so servers will be down at 8 PM EDT. Get your bingo cards done before then!

That all being said, what tips would you guys give for a complete beginner like me? The last iteration I have played was PS 0 on the DS, but I have played the original PSO and its continuation, Blue Burst, extensively.

Some of it has already been said in the mentioned link, but I'll add anything I can think of.

Grinding is a lot stronger then it is in other Phantasy Star games, and a lot more forgiving then PSU. Your weapons will double or be close to double it's starting power when you get it to max +10. Your armor can also make a big deal at +10 and it's considerably easier to get it up that high. Armor grind rates are very forgiving, even for someone like me cursed by the Random Number Generator. This will be what helps out once the damage levels get pretty high and stop the nightmare damage some bosses will put out if you're not prepared.

You'll eventually see element symbol, fire, wind, lightning etc on weapons you find. For weapons you intend to use, this is important as it adds a percentage based on it's value to your overall weapon's damage. This can be raised up to 50, (60 on 13 star weapons). and it'll do a bit more (sometimes a lot more depending on builds / classes) if the element you are using affects the enemies weak elements. So you get your weapon to 50 element, that's 50% of the weapon's damage getting added extra. Light and Fire weapons tend to get the most usage, due to all Darkers being weak to light, and a lot of other enemies are weak to fire.

Some of the earlier bosses are honestly the toughest the game has. Vol Dragon, Fang Banther/Banshee, Quartz Dragon can come off incredibly ruthless early on. We've all been at the receiving end of their attacks and you'll get better at them as you learn the patterns, feel it out. Don't let the deaths get to you.

The earlier mentioned by ChickenHunter missions given by Koffee have one added bonus that you may not pick up on right away. They're a few of the only missions in the game that don't change in exp value per your class. For example, at level 1, they offer 15,000 on average, and at level 75, they'll offer the same. Other quests will widely shrink in worth as you go lower. This is good to level a class from 1 to 10 in about a mission turn in. Good to skip a bit unless you really want that early stuff and it may give you an edge. Something to keep in mind.

When you see the unlock Sub-class mission from Koffee. Snag it and work towards it the best you can. Getting the second class is a nice boost to stats and you'll get access to everything but main class only skills, which'll tie in to the final piece of advice. Admitting, there are a few bad class combos that may on the outside seem amazing. But don't feel afraid to ask or theorycraft, as I'm sure people are willing to discuss build advice.

Some classes you'll see "stance" skills. On paper, they may not see seem that good, but this game is really about multipliers. For example, Hunters have access to Fury or Guard stance. You'll be able to activate one stance per class. If you're say Hunter / Braver you can activate a combination of either: Fury Stance or Guard Stance along with Average Stance or Weak Stance. For most classes that have them, the stances are the biggest sources of damage, I've found a lot of people tend to glance at them and seem unimpressed at first.

JP servers are back up (have been for some time, but I don't usually wake up early for it).

Also, SEA IP block is apparently back to normal.

Well they will learn when they see the block is back. :p

Hahahahaha yeah. Deep down they should be feeling lucky with how bad the SEA side of things is.

They were too busy screaming that it's the official Western release of PSO2 to actually listen to a word anyone was saying about the SEA version.

For real. I took a glance at twitch and geez people were all proclaiming this was the grand US release and everything without even realizing for a second where it really was. Not to mention people are spamming their 'impression videos'. And to sites where everyone is sorta well... already know about the game. It's kinda funny really.

About to install this and I've never played a PSO game before. Any good guides to follow? Easy first class?

Well first off:
Here's a post I made earlier with useful information for starters.
+ the post by Nikkuthulu a few posts up.

You can change classes at the class counter whenever you like so don't sweat it too much. Play around with the different options until you find one you like best. All the classes are simple enough that you should get an idea for what they're about pretty quickly.

So I'm probably dumb, how do you complete the Setting Photon Arts and Setting Technique Client orders? I can't figure out how to set anything on the weapon palette, unless I'm misunderstanding what the weapon palette is.

EDIT - Figured out the Photon Art one, still don't know about techniques.

So I'm probably dumb, how do you complete the Setting Photon Arts and Setting Technique Client orders? I can't figure out how to set anything on the weapon palette, unless I'm misunderstanding what the weapon palette is.

EDIT - Figured out the Photon Art one, still don't know about techniques.

If you've figured one out, you've figured out the other. Techniques on the weapon palette require you to equip a rod, talis, or wand. I'm not sure that placing techniques directly on the action palette counts.

If you've figured one out, you've figured out the other. Techniques on the weapon palette require you to equip a rod, talis, or wand. I'm not sure that placing techniques directly on the action palette counts.

Ah, I didn't have a technique before so I didn't know.

But it just let me equip it onto jet boots so I have no idea if I did it right, either way it completed the order.

If I'm playing a Bouncer using the boots I should be upping my mag's T-ATK, right?

Ah, I didn't have a technique before so I didn't know.

But it just let me equip it onto jet boots so I have no idea if I did it right, either way it completed the order.

If I'm playing a Bouncer using the boots I should be upping my T-ATK, right?

This is where jet boots bouncers, and bouncers in general begin to get really tricky. Cause the answer to that, depends on literally the answer to a few questions I have to ask you.

Are going to main bouncer?
Do you want to use techniques as a main focus and source of your damage?

Or

do you just want to use flying kicks, and support style buffs with maybe an occassional tech attack?

The quick gist of it is. The normal attack, the special jet boot attack skills, are all S-ATK skills, however they end up using T-ATK calculations at the end of things. However... if you use the main skill ability "Switch Strike" that can turn the final T-ATK calculation to S-ATK. But this is accessible only to main class bouncers. (Techniques will still use T-ATK no matter what.) If you end up going something like Fighter/Bouncer you're going to be stuck affixing T-ATK for the final calculations.

On the other hand of course, if you're wanting to spam techniques more then anything, going T-ATK from the start is going to be how to handle things plain and simple.

This is where jet boots bouncers, and bouncers in general begin to get really tricky. Cause the answer to that, depends on literally the answer to a few questions I have to ask you.

Are going to main bouncer?
Do you want to use techniques as a main focus and source of your damage?

Or

do you just want to use flying kicks, and support style buffs with maybe an occassional tech attack?

The quick gist of it is. The normal attack, the special jet boot attack skills, are all S-ATK skills, however they end up using T-ATK calculations at the end of things. However... if you use the main skill ability "Switch Strike" that can turn the final T-ATK calculation to S-ATK. But this is accessible only to main class bouncers. (Techniques will still use T-ATK no matter what.) If you end up going something like Fighter/Bouncer you're going to be stuck affixing T-ATK for the final calculations.

On the other hand of course, if you're wanting to spam techniques more then anything, going T-ATK from the start is going to be how to handle things plain and simple.

I think I want to main Bouncer, what would I have to do if I wanted to use Support buffs?

So if that's the case then I should probably start leveling Techer? I have Bouncer at 11.

Bingo. Techer is the way to go. Like, a bouncer CAN cast Shift/Deband/Zondeel/Zanverse etc etc and heck, if you got no one around, a good bouncer player will do these things or whatever to help the MPA. Like, a bouncer's shifta / deband is better then none, but a Techer's on the other hand..

Territory Burst, the expanded support range, the GREAT versions of Shifta and Deband they get. That's the way to go. Techer is THE support class, next to Ranger and their weak bullet + other fun tricks.

Top Bottom