• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds |OT| Brawling ReVITAlized

Shizuka

I've been in since July 29th. My PSN ID is Matryoshk (please mention you're from GAF and your username on a note when you add).

I still haven't played as anyone besides Kurisu (nearing level 50 now) but I can't help but feel ridiculously overpowered. Not saying that's not fun. In fact I fucking love it.

I destroyed the final boss in seconds with three or four successive EX flamethrowers (I went in with full meter and the boxes on the field had blue gems). I hope Kurisu doesn't spoil me too much since I do intend to play with every character.

Why are they calling this 8-bit action when it's clearly 16-bit like graphics?

At least the music is 8-bit, I suppose...

Edit: Also, I'm pleasantly surprised that you can play online with people with the DLC even when you don't have it yourself. Apparently that's not the case on the XBLA version.

I've had no luck connecting to anyone online all morning. It makes me sad but I can't say I'm surprised at all.
Unfortunately, without a drop in/drop out option, you have to get lucky and happen upon a newly created lobby.

I created a lobby last night and it filled up in about 30 seconds.

Downloaded the game last night, played until I fell asleep. I'm level 14? Love how good the port is, no slow downs at all. Music is 10/10. And Kuriso <3

If anyone wants to play add me:
GloriousBagel
Just say you're from GAF, if you're a lurker just say so thanks

bobawesome

Unfortunately, without a drop in/drop out option, you have to get lucky and happen upon a newly created lobby.

I created a lobby last night and it filled up in about 30 seconds.

As soon as I posted my message I miraculously found two lobbies. Being level 13 on level 7 is a terrible idea, however...

If anyone wants to play add me:
GloriousBagel
Just say you're from GAF, if you're a lurker just say so thanks

Can do.

Autofokus

Well we should've gotten the DLC last week according to them but it's not there, so I guess they messed up some things in Europe also. Maybe we'll hear something tomorrow since the store is updated then.
It looks like cheap and flashy fun but I'm not buying until the price has been corrected in Europe.

The DLC came yesterday, €6.19 (~$8.30). Which pretty much confirms that the ridiculous €14.49 (~$19.50) price tag is no mistake.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
The DLC came yesterday, €6.19 (~$8.30). Which pretty much confirms that the ridiculous €14.49 (~$19.50) price tag is no mistake.
The DLC isn't even up yet, when it should've been yesterday. This entire thing is ridiculous.

bobawesome

I just played co-op with someone all the way through normal mode. I felt bad, considering they were level 50. I thought they were level 0 so I started all the way at stage 0. Hopefully they didn't find it too boring.

That said, I also tried out Battle Ground mode. It's an alright idea but it's pretty bare-bones. You're pretty much out of luck if you run into someone with a stable of level 99 characters, too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Never heard of this.
But I think I wants!

Kind of reminds me of Scott Pilgrim and the 16-bit classics it owes its heritage to.

And portable!

Bittercup

I want this game but the price is still not fixed on the EU stores after 2 weeks. I'm not sure it's worth it to wait if they probably won't even fix it.
And the DLC from yesterday's store update is still missing on the actual store. I'll probably wait until then and buy it.

SerTapTap

Am I too late to join co op fun? Are the last 5 characters all DLC, unlockables, or what?

Also is the Engrish in game as bad as the store description? I consider it a feature.

bobawesome

Am I too late to join co op fun? Are the last 5 characters all DLC, unlockables, or what?

Also is the Engrish in game as bad as the store description? I consider it a feature.

It's never too late to join. As far as I know there's only one DLC character at the moment, Makise Kurisu, with Frau from Robotics;Notes coming sometime in the future supposedly.

And no, sadly. The English is much improved in the actual game.

4 characters are unlockable, one is DLC. And the game itself is pretty well-localized, I'd say.

And, I might as well join the trend and say that my PSN account is calc84maniac.

SerTapTap

Are the giant claw maid and bunny-eyepatch girl in the base game then?

Also, is the leveling system as broken as it is in Scott Pilgrim? I love that game to bits, but there's no proper curve and max difficulty is mostly very easy with max stats, though the final boss takes ages regardless of stats.

Starting to be pretty tempted for $12. Wanted PS4 version but I guess I'd be waiting a long time.

Avallon

Are the giant claw maid and bunny-eyepatch girl in the base game then?

Also, is the leveling system as broken as it is in Scott Pilgrim? I love that game to bits, but there's no proper curve and max difficulty is mostly very easy with max stats, though the final boss takes ages regardless of stats.

Starting to be pretty tempted for $12. Wanted PS4 version but I guess I'd be waiting a long time.
Those characters are unlockable. The only DLC is Kirisu.

Jeels

Really nice Ot, good job!

I was going to purchase this game on a whim this week after seeing screenshots, never heard of it before now. I hear it is coming out for the ps4 though and want to play it on a larger screen so will probably wait it out.

SerTapTap

Okay I was bummed because Scram Kitty is really weird to get used to so I bought this too. I make poor financial decisions. My PSN is Barakku, won't be on tonight but maybe this weekend. Can you voice chat on Vita or do you guys Skype or how does this work? I've actually never done a party chat, I Always skype

The difficulty is pretty solid throughout Battlegrounds. Also (unless you buy the DLC) the level 50 cap means you won't be able to max out all of your stats & skills. So unless you want to join the pay2win crowd you have to decide what's best for you.

Shizuka

Tonight is the night I'll finally get to play the game, even though I bought the game + DLC a couple of days ago.

SerTapTap

The difficulty is pretty solid throughout Battlegrounds. Also (unless you buy the DLC) the level 50 cap means you won't be able to max out all of your stats & skills. So unless you want to join the pay2win crowd you have to decide what's best for you.

Oh so that's why it's $6 for one character in a $12 game?

SerTapTap

When do I unlock the characters? after beating the whole game or what? Also, how different are they? I played as the maid with the bullet-club-hammer thingy, after losing my powers attacks all feel about the same.

When do I unlock the characters? after beating the whole game or what? Also, how different are they? I played as the maid with the bullet-club-hammer thingy, after losing my powers attacks all feel about the same.
Characters are quite different in terms of their special moves (Down+X is always unlocked, but Side+X and Dash+X need SP LV 1 skill unlocked). You'll get a couple of characters for beating the story on Easy/Normal and Hard.

Edit: Also, pressing X+Square when doing a special move will slightly change its behavior.

Edit2: Man, this localization.
ROJdJGD.jpg

Had to look this up, since I don't play MMORPGs.

Prelude.

Is the DLC supposed to be online on the EU store? I think I read it was but I can't find it.
And the price is still inflated, what's up with that?

Edit: I didn't check on 5pb's facebook, the price is correct and the DLC has issues. Welp.

Is the DLC supposed to be online on the EU store? I think I read it was but I can't find it.
And the price is still inflated, what's up with that?

From https://www.facebook.com/5pbgames/posts/812590225452898
To EU regions: The prices currently listed in the PSN store are correct. We're sorry for the different prices communicated earlier, but they will not be changing in the foreseeable future. We're also chasing down the issue with the Kurisu DLC.

Sorry for all the hiccups. Submissions are a different beast across every country, region, and console. We're learning right along with you. Please bear with us - because with this experience under our belt, comes more 5pb titles coming across the ocean! And THAT can only be a good thing.

We've got some giveaways planned to make it up to you. Keep tuned in!

Foxix Von

Ahhh.... crap didn't realize this came out....

Between this and YS, and SSD being on sale... sigh... my wallet.

If anyone is interested in playing some games go ahead and add me. PSN ID: FIreclad

Downloading now :D

Shizuka

This game, oh this game. It's just what I need, the complete opposite what SSD would've been for me. I'm glad I made the right choice, I'm having a blast.

Roubjon

Just bought this now. It looks pretty rad and it's cheap as hell. If you guys wanna play ever, just add me. My PSN is the same as my GAF Name, Roubjon.

Type-Zero

I have a simple question for anyone that owns the game. Does it support custom soundtrack? I heard the music is good but I think it would be cool to play some of the tracks from the Scott Pilgrim game too since it has the same look and feel.

I have a simple question for anyone that owns the game. Does it support custom soundtrack? I heard the music is good but I think it would be cool to play some of the tracks from the Scott Pilgrim game too since it has the same look and feel.

Yeah, it looks like you can turn the in-game music down all the way and use the Music app.

Top Bottom