• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

I have relatives visiting from Italy and we took them to NYC today after going downtown to Philly last weekend. Not surprising, they liked Philly better :D

Septa Pope tickets were a clusterfuck this morning.

They had 180K regional rail tickets set aside for the event.

Per their website they got 900,000 visits and 1700 requests for tickets per second, and that was just the first ten minutes before their servers melted down completely.

Sales are suspended until they figure out a way to actually sell them.

I dunno man, this looks BAD

esms

Per their website they got 900,000 visits and 1700 requests for tickets per second, and that was just the first ten minutes before their servers melted down completely.

Honestly, good luck to you guys in the burbs who work on the city. Might as well put in for PTO right now.

That is pretty crazy. They should honestly just set it up as a lottery or something if the demand is that high. It would be easier to manage and potentially more fair and scare off ticket flippers (especially if they somehow made them nontransferable).

vypek

Does anyone have a list of what lines would be affected during the visit? I'm actually looking for work right now and if I (hopefully) get the job I interviewed with today than I'd be taking the 101 (or the shuttle replacement should the improvement not be done).

Does anyone have a list of what lines would be affected during the visit? I'm actually looking for work right now and if I (hopefully) get the job I interviewed with today than I'd be taking the 101 (or the shuttle replacement should the improvement not be done).

Everything is affected. The El and trolleys also need special passes but they're not on sale yet.

I think a lottery is the only sane way to implement this.

vypek

Everything is affected. The El and trolleys also need special passes but they're not on sale yet.

I think a lottery is the only sane way to implement this.

Ugh. This is going to be a real mess, isn't it? I think you're right about that lottery idea. Would make this a lot more manageable.

Yo Philly GAF, recommend me some cool places to visit/eat in Philly. I'm in Cherry Hill NJ so not far off. Anyway been to dalessandro's and tony lukes over there. What else should I check out?

Yo Philly GAF, recommend me some cool places to visit/eat in Philly. I'm in Cherry Hill NJ so not far off. Anyway been to dalessandro's and tony lukes over there. What else should I check out?

Any particular style of cuisine you like? My wife and I are huge foodies so I can give you tons of recommendations but it's easier if I know what you like.

Cool thx will check out

Nope not really. I like all kinds of stuff :) I hear Johns roast pork is pretty good?

John's Roast Pork is maybe one of the best sandwiches in the city. In general roast pork is like the secret underground actually best Philly sandwich that Philadelphian's know about but don't talk about. I don't know many people who don't find it better than a cheesesteak. That said, it sounds to me that you are into sandwiches. You need to go to Paesano's, as they have many of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life.

A few of my favorite restaurants in the city, in random order:

Vernick - Incredible food, but can be booked months in advance
Petruce et al - Service can be poor, but the food is top notch
Noord - Dutch cuisine. Chef Joncarl Lachman is extremely charming. Best fish ever.
Doma - Tiny place near the Barnes Foundation. Excellent sushi, great prices and portions
Belgian Cafe - Belgian food and an awesome beer selection. Same owner as Monk's Cafe and mostly same menu, with a fraction of the crowds
Le Cheri - French food on Rittenhouse Square. Incredible service and delicious.
Kanella - Cypriot cuisine. I was blown away. It is currently closed as it is relocating but will reopen soon.
Zahav - Incredible israeli food. Chef Solomonov
Abe Fisher - Interesting twists on Jewish food. Chef Solomonov
Pub & Kitchen - Awesome neighborhood bar/restaurant. Practically the perfect neighborhood pub.

John's Roast Pork is maybe one of the best sandwiches in the city. In general roast pork is like the secret underground actually best Philly sandwich that Philadelphian's know about but don't talk about. I don't know many people who don't find it better than a cheesesteak. That said, it sounds to me that you are into sandwiches. You need to go to Paesano's, as they have many the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life.

A few of my favorite restaurants in the city, sort of in order:

Vernick - Incredible food, but can be booked months in advance
Petruce et al - Service can be poor, but the food is top notch
Noord - Dutch cuisine. Chef Joncarl Lachman is extremely charming. Best fish ever.
Doma - Tiny place near the Barnes Foundation. Excellent sushi, great prices and portions
Belgian Cafe - Belgian food and an awesome beer selection. Same owner as Monk's Cafe and mostly same menu, with a fraction of the crowds
Le Cheri - French food on Rittenhouse Square. Incredible service and delicious.
Kanella - Cypriot cuisine. I was blown away. It is currently closed as it is relocating but will reopen soon.
Zahav - Incredible israeli food. Chef Solomonov
Abe Fisher - Interesting twists on Jewish food. Chef Solomonov
Pub & Kitchen - Awesome neighborhood bar/restaurant. Practically the perfect neighborhood pub.

Stupid question but is roast pork sandwich thing the pork roll thing I see at wawas in the morning? P.S. I'm from NYC so we don't see this stuff there lol

StevieWhite

Stupid question but is roast pork sandwich thing the pork roll thing I see at wawas in the morning? P.S. I'm from NYC so we don't see this stuff there lol

No, not at all! Pork roll is totally different.

And I will second Walrus' vote for the Belgian Cafe. That place is fantastic.

Nope, that's taylor ham/pork roll egg and cheese.

A roast pork is a sandwich made of thin slices of roast pork, sharp provolone cheese, and greens (usually broccoli rabe, spinach, or long hots) and sometimes a splash of gravy. They are like delicious in sandwich form. Check out John's Roast Pork or Dinic's for the general idea.

Nope, that's taylor ham/pork roll egg and cheese.

A roast pork is a sandwich made of thin slices of roast pork, sharp provolone cheese, and greens (usually broccoli rabe, spinach, or long hots) and sometimes a splash of gravy. They are like delicious in sandwich form. Check out John's Roast Pork or Dinic's for the general idea.

Cool thx going to try and hit this place up tomorrow.

The Llama

My favorite not super expensive restaurant (that would currently be Del Frisco's, though I think I need to reevaluate that as I didn't like it as much the 2nd time I went... but whatever)) is Mixto, which is at like 12th and Pine. Love all the food there and looooove the margaritas.

StevieWhite

Haha I've seen this making the rounds. Growing up in western PA I'm partial to sheetz myself, but honestly they are so damn similar it doesn't matter.

Any talk of a Philly meetup?

Only if we meetup at a Wawa.

EDIT - in all seriousness, a meetup would be cool. This town does have a Barcade.

esms

Oh shit, right. I forgot about the meet up talk. I was thinking a sips run and then letting the fuckery flow from there.

What Wednesdays work for you guys?

Haha I've seen this making the rounds. Growing up in western PA I'm partial to sheetz myself, but honestly they are so damn similar it doesn't matter.

Any talk of a Philly meetup?

Sheetz sucks IMO. The food is all greasy shit that's basically microwaved. Their sandwiches can't hold a candle to Wawa's. People say Wawa doesn't have variety but they've never truly experimented with how deep the sandwich customization can go. They will even add stuff to the menu if it's a crazy big hit.

I saw one guy basically order a french bread pizza. He got a hoagie with marinara, cheese and pepperoni and had them open it up and toast it. Only thing that was weird is they don't carry mozzarella, but cheddar or provolone hit the spot. They've since started carrying mini pizzas though. You can do crazy stuff like get them to put the buffalo sauce on the macaroni and cheese which is completely incredibly delicious. In my experience Sheetz doesn't do that level of customization. Sheetz just has burgers and shit.

That said, I haven't had Sheetz since I moved out of Berks county, so it's been a while.

A tip I have found is to ask the workers what their favorite creation is. They have some incredible stuff they come up with.

Sheetz sucks IMO. The food is all greasy shit that's basically microwaved. Their sandwiches can't hold a candle to Wawa's. People say Wawa doesn't have variety but they've never truly experimented with how deep the sandwich customization can go. They will even add stuff to the menu if it's a crazy big hit.

I saw one guy basically order a french bread pizza. He got a hoagie with marinara, cheese and pepperoni and had them open it up and toast it. Only thing that was weird is they don't carry mozzarella, but cheddar or provolone hit the spot. They've since started carrying mini pizzas though. You can do crazy stuff like get them to put the buffalo sauce on the macaroni and cheese which is completely incredibly delicious. In my experience Sheetz doesn't do that level of customization. Sheetz just has burgers and shit.

That said, I haven't had Sheetz since I moved out of Berks county, so it's been a while.

A tip I have found is to ask the workers what their favorite creation is. They have some incredible stuff they come up with.

Wawa is much, much better than sheetz when it comes to selection of stuff that isn't deep fried and artery clogging.

Harrisburg patriot news ran a feature a while ago with sheetz, wawa, turkey hill, and rutters. Wawa won, and that was why. And Harrisburg is deep deep in the heart of sheetz territory.

StevieWhite

Divine Lorraine: 4 restaurants, groundbreaking in a few weeks

Rejoice with me fellow Francisvillains. Combine this with the 480 unit apartment complex + supermarket going in right next to the Divine Lorraine and you have yourself the beginnings of the next hottest neighborhood in the city.

That's awesome. The plans for that building get scrapped so often I thought they were going to have to demolish it.

Is that technically Francisville that far up? Not that it matters... it's close enough.

Ralemont

not me
Saw the Philadelphia orchestra playing the soundtrack to Fellowship of the Ring with the movie playing on a big screen on stage at the Mann Center last night. It was awesome, especially the crowd; enthusiastic without being obnoxious.

There was a guy in a Gandalf costume they wouldn't let in because his staff could be used as a weapon. It was 2 meta for me.

That's awesome. The plans for that building get scrapped so often I thought they were going to have to demolish it.

Is that technically Francisville that far up? Not that it matters... it's close enough.

Francisville is bordered by Fairmount, Broad, Girard, and Corinthian. Technically the DL is on the east side of Broad, which is not Francisville but West Poplar, but it sits at maybe the most important intersection of the entire Francisville neighborhood and is in a lot of ways the key to redeveloping the area. The Broad, Ridge, and Fairmount intersection is really important to the neighborhood. The goal is to have redevelopment work its way from that intersection up Ridge Avenue and into the heart of Francisville. Ridge Avenue is seen as the commercial core of Francisville and the Francisville NDC is doing a lot to encourage investment along the corridor.

If you drive up Ridge Ave from Broad Street you'll notice that it's really barren right now, but that there is a decent amount of construction happening on it. Even more is scheduled. Personally I think that that section of Ridge could be the next East Passyunk in terms of development potential. It's very low cost to build in the area, has absolutely fantastic transit access, and very good proximity to center city. In 10 years it will be unrecognizable.

Saw the Philadelphia orchestra playing the soundtrack to Fellowship of the Ring with the movie playing on a big screen on stage at the Mann Center last night. It was awesome, especially the crowd; enthusiastic without being obnoxious.

There was a guy in a Gandalf costume they wouldn't let in because his staff could be used as a weapon. It was 2 meta for me.

I went to Godfather a few weeks ago at the Mann for the same type of thing with the Philly Orchestra. It was great. As soon as the movie ended, everyone started leaving. But the orchestra was still doing their thing for the credits. I was confused. I guess beating the traffic was more important.

(Did I talk about this already in this thread? Possibly...)

Ralemont

not me
I went to Godfather a few weeks ago at the Mann for the same type of thing with the Philly Orchestra. It was great. As soon as the movie ended, everyone started leaving. But the orchestra was still doing their thing for the credits. I was confused. I guess beating the traffic was more important.

(Did I talk about this already in this thread? Possibly...)

Oh people did the same thing, which is so dumb because of the awesome vocal tracks the ending credits had. They trotted out a 12-year old boy to do the second vocal track and he killed it.

Ralemont

not me
Haven't you guys been to a Phillies game? The place is empty after the 8th inning. It's the suburbanites. They all want to avoid the traffic.

I do the same thing even though I live in Center City...at a Phillies game. This is the Philadelphia Orchestra performing Fellowship of the Ring.

Top Bottom