• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

StevieWhite

Love the Schuylkill... but the secret best place to go for a run in Philadelphia is Lemon Hill over in Fairmount. The scenery isn't quite forbidden drive, but it's a nice little loop with good elevation changes. The streets are wide open, and your chances of getting hit by a cyclist are slim to none. I used to do Kelly Drive all the time, but I just got tired of dodging bike traffic.

Looks like I watched the wrong game today. Instead of watching Hamels throw a no hitter I saw the US national team stink up the house at PPL :p

Looks like I watched the wrong game today. Instead of watching Hamels throw a no hitter I saw the US national team stink up the house at PPL :p

I'm so pissed off. The one time the USMNT have the chance to come to Philly AND play in a final they go and fucking shit the bed and I'm out money on tickets to a game I don't even want to go to tomorrow.

Love the Schuylkill... but the secret best place to go for a run in Philadelphia is Lemon Hill over in Fairmount. The scenery isn't quite forbidden drive, but it's a nice little loop with good elevation changes. The streets are wide open, and your chances of getting hit by a cyclist are slim to none. I used to do Kelly Drive all the time, but I just got tired of dodging bike traffic.

The cyclist traffic on the SRT practically ruins it for me. It's hard to walk because of all of the traffic and the cyclists are incredibly rude. Walking your dog on the SRT is practically impossible because of the cyclists. Dogs don't understand what "on your right" means, and cyclists seem like they'd rather run them over than have to stop. IMO there need to be cyclist speed limits on the SRT in city limits or something.

I was out camping this weekend and missed the whole thing. If Hamels gets traded this week I think he has a chance of going out as one of the most beloved athletes the city has ever had.

Admodieus

The cyclist traffic on the SRT practically ruins it for me. It's hard to walk because of all of the traffic and the cyclists are incredibly rude. Walking your dog on the SRT is practically impossible because of the cyclists. Dogs don't understand what "on your right" means, and cyclists seem like they'd rather run them over than have to stop. IMO there need to be cyclist speed limits on the SRT in city limits or something.

I was out camping this weekend and missed the whole thing. If Hamels gets traded this week I think he has a chance of going out as one of the most beloved athletes the city has ever had.

Yeah, SRT is way too narrow for the traffic it gets. There should definitely be changes made, like no double wide strollers, speed limits for cycles, etc. My go-to running loop is from my place in Queen Village up to the Ben Franklin Bridge, across to Camden, back to Philly and then home. The inclines are brutal but the downhill parts are fantastic, and running on the streets for the last part of the run is a piece of cake.

Only bad part is the tourist traffic around Independence Hall but I'd rather deal with that then SRT.

Philly GAF: my daughter LOOOOVES dinosaurs.

Is the Academy of Natural Sciences worth a visit? How does it compare to the Museum of Natural History in NYC?

Philly GAF: my daughter LOOOOVES dinosaurs.

Is the Academy of Natural Sciences worth a visit? How does it compare to the Museum of Natural History in NYC?

I haven't been to the Museum of Natural History but the Academy of Natural Science was kinda of nice I guess. I visited it when I was 29 though so my perspective may be a little warped. The nice thing is that it's basically across the street from the Franklin Institute which is amazing for kids, so you can do both in the same day.

The Penn Museum is also having a $10 admission special until the end of this month. They have mummies and such which are usually a hit with kids.

Begbie

I'm planning on visiting Philly in a few weeks.. still figuring out the itinerary as we will only be there for a couple of days and with a lot of younger kids. So far I'm thinking..

• Franklin Institute
  • Please Touch Museum
  • Liberty Bell & Independance Hall
  • Pat and Geno's
Anywhere else that we should definitely hit up?

I'm planning on visiting Philly in a few weeks.. still figuring out the itinerary as we will only be there for a couple of days and with a lot of younger kids. So far I'm thinking..

• Franklin Institute
  • Please Touch Museum
  • Pat and Geno's

Reading Terminal Market - a must see I think. Kids will be pleased because there are candy, pastry, and ice cream shops. You will be pleased because there is a ton of dining options with really great food. Can get really crowded though.

Philadelphia Zoo - If you're going to Please Touch this is pretty close by for you. They recently spent a lot of money designing these walkways where the animals walk across bridges above the crowds

You can skip Pat's & Geno's unless you really want to go to them out of curiosity. Natives consider their cheesesteaks average at best. You can go to places like Jim's, Steve's or Ishkabibble's and get better cheesesteaks, but they don't have the flash of Pat's or Geno's.

anywhere I can express order legitimate philly cheese steak kits?

There is not really a ton to it. Go to your butcher and ask for thin sliced rib eye steak, saute onions, then cook the steak and chop it up in a pan, and mix in the onions. Put it on a good quality (do they have Amaroso's by you? Get the individual rolls that you can find in the deli, not the prepackaged ones). Coat the roll with cheez wiz and put the steak on it. If you don't want wiz, just put provolone cheese on the steak after it's done cooking and melt it.

Don't buy Steak'ems

Kanye

Banned
There is not really a ton to it. Go to your butcher and ask for thin sliced rib eye steak, saute onions, then cook the steak and chop it up in a pan, and mix in the onions. Put it on a good quality (do they have Amaroso's by you? Get the individual rolls that you can find in the deli, not the prepackaged ones). Coat the roll with cheez wiz and put the steak on it. If you don't want wiz, just put provolone cheese on the steak after it's done cooking and melt it.

Don't buy Steak'ems

yeah I know how to make them but I want the beef to come straight from Philly

esms

What're you guys trying to do for a meet-up?

I usually bar hop with friends, but I'd be down for whatever.

Ryuukan

Don't buy Steak'ems

If you want cheesesteaks at home and you don't have the coveted and usually unrealistic shopper/butcher relationship, just go to Hmart. They sell sliced ribeye for hotpot/shabu shabu that works great for cheesesteaks.

Pbae

• Franklin Institute
  • Please Touch Museum
  • Pat and Geno's

You should also check out the lovely Kensington area. Flush foliage, friendly people, and plenty of things to do with the family.

Please do not go to Kensington, you will be murdered.

If you want cheesesteaks at home and you don't have the coveted and usually unrealistic shopper/butcher relationship, just go to Hmart. They sell sliced ribeye for hotpot/shabu shabu that works great for cheesesteaks.

You know, that's a really good tip.

I find the butchers at Wegman's are pretty happy to do whatever custom cuts you want from them, but I have never ordered thin sliced ribeye there. I hear they are similar at Reading Terminal Market.

Temp seems a bit warm over there in Philly...is it usually like this until September/October?

Its a bit warm, yeah. But it's been a relatively cool summer until now.

In an average year, August is usually when the heat/ humidity starts to die down a bit from the nightmare that is July.

September and October are nice though with a few hot days here and there.

vypek

As shameful as it is, I haven't been paying too much attention to the whole pope visit stuff. What are the exact days he'll be here? Trying to plan stuff around that so the commute won't be hell even though I'm going to be heading away from the city to go to work.

StevieWhite

As shameful as it is, I haven't been paying too much attention to the whole pope visit stuff. What are the exact days he'll be here? Trying to plan stuff around that so the commute won't be hell even though I'm going to be heading away from the city to go to work.

He's gonna be here 9/26 to 9/27, though the city will probably be in lockdown mode from 9/25 on. Seems like a lot of companies are telling their employees to not even bother coming in on the 25th.

It's gonna be a real mess.

vypek

He's gonna be here 9/26 to 9/27, though the city will probably be in lockdown mode from 9/25 on. Seems like a lot of companies are telling their employees to not even bother coming in on the 25th.

It's gonna be a real mess.

Thanks for the info. So hopefully things will be back to normal on that following Monday

I sort of think the whole Pope thing is getting blown out of proportion. It's going to be on a weekend, so it's not like there is normally a ton of commuters like on a week day, and I think the area closed to car traffic will be relatively small. It will be a mess, but I don't think it's going to be the catastrophe people are making it out to be. It will be as annoying as Made in America combined with a SEPTA strike, which would be very annoying, but not "I need to flee as soon as possible" annoying.

esms

I sort of think the whole Pope thing is getting blown out of proportion. It's going to be on a weekend, so it's not like there is normally a ton of commuters like on a week day, and I think the area closed to car traffic will be relatively small. It will be a mess, but I don't think it's going to be the catastrophe people are making it out to be. It will be as annoying as Made in America combined with a SEPTA strike, which would be very annoying, but not "I need to flee as soon as possible" annoying.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...unts_over_lack_of_detail_on_pope_s_visit.html

Reliable sources have said vehicle traffic will not be allowed in Philadelphia from the Schuylkill to the Delaware River and from South Street north to Girard Avenue. The security perimeter, likely involving some fencing, will include areas from the Philadelphia Museum of Art to Independence Hall.

fantasia2.png

The Llama

Been in Atlanta visiting friends for a few days. Never been here before, but its crazy when you're used to northeastern cities like Philly. Its just so... suburban. It's wild.

Ryuukan

Finally philly has moved on from being the city that attacked santa

Now the city that attacked santa and that robot

Finally philly has moved on from being the city that attacked santa

Now the city that attacked santa and that robot

Crossing Broad appears to have figured out who attacked the Robot. It's about as shitty as you'd expect. They have an annoying ad you have to click through, but it's worth the read.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2015/08/write-this-down.html

Here's a photo of one of the "characters" this asshole plays- in a cunningham jersey and backwards cap.

VvTrNfV.jpg

Both of them with the robot in their car- the last known people to have it.

https://twitter.com/Jessewelle/status/627368019329712128

and an article about Wellens and Bassmaster showing up on a 6ABC newscast in character to comment on it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/Philly-prankster-Ed-Bassmaster-trolls-6ABC-as-Always-Teste-in-hitchBOT-interview.html

Top Bottom