• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
There's a FYE in Center City right next to City Hall.

There's a few good comic places on South Street, and there's a really good comic place in Old City. The name escapes me.

FYE is on Broad and Chestnut. They don't have much in the way of comics, but tons of merchandise.

Are you thinking of Fat Jack's? That one is at 19th and Sansom.

Pbae

Exactly. Huge fucking pain.

There's a FYE in Center City right next to City Hall.

There's a few good comic places on South Street, and there's a really good comic place in Old City. The name escapes me.

The one in Old City is called Brave New World and they have a good selection of recent backlogs for comics as well as a large selection of figures, Gundam models, toys, and etc.

Atomic City Comics is on South St. and that place has a nice selection of everything and they sometimes do tourneys for games.

Fat Jack's is next to a Shake Shack and that's the only positive I can think of.

Deku Tree

Not exactly in Philly but this place (to which I've never been) looks like it had a pretty massive comic book collection;

http://www.newkadia.com/

It's in Norristown, PA and they buy and sell and have an online auction house where you can sell your own comics.

I emailed the owner a few times when I was thinking about selling my collection and he wrote me back very quickly with detailed emails and good info (I have some old rare good condition comics) but I never got around to selling mine.

bigkrev

Brave New Worlds prices are insane

if you want gundam models, cross the bridge into south jersey and check out The Gundam Kitchen

Owner is very nice and pretty fair prices

There is also a retro game store next to that place called Next Level Games, which is a fun little store.

We went into the city last night to have a nice night, and we eventually ended our evening at a dive bar called Oscars Tavern (it was a couple of minutes from the 16th and Locust PATCO station), which had 7 dollar Cheesesteak and a half, which was really good, and the beers were super cheap and in giant cups.

MJPIA

I'm gonna have to check out the gundam kitchen and that game store at some point.
I didn't know they existed and I love browsing those types of stores.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've got a couple of friends that have booked here for Sep 25. I'm trying to tell them that that is a very, very bad idea. Oh boy.

Hahaha, yeah. Even if they were coming in for the Pope, tell them to come another weekend. It's going to be hell in the center city area.Of which I am staying far the hell away form.

esms

How do those chicks in the niqabs do it on weeks like this? No doubt in my mind that I'd die of heat stroke.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Speaking of SEPTA, is it really that bad? I'm reading stuff online and it seems almost everyone is negative on it (seriously though, no credit cards?).

I'm heading to Philly on either Wednesday or Thursday. Anything buses/trains I should avoid?

I will be going from the city center to the Art Museum first, then back to the city center. I might be going from there to Citizen's Bank Park, then back to city center.

Speaking of SEPTA, is it really that bad? I'm reading stuff online and it seems almost everyone is negative on it (seriously though, no credit cards?).

I'm heading to Philly on either Wednesday or Thursday. Anything buses/trains I should avoid?

I will be going from the city center to the Art Museum first, then back to the city center. I might be going from there to Citizen's Bank Park, then back to city center.

It really depends on the route and time of day. The are a few routes that get so packed that the bus will just blow right by you and next one is at least a half hour away but I doubt you'll have a need to catch any of the problem routes if you are visiting as a tourist. You can take the 32 or the 38 bus from 15th & JFK (City Hall) to the Art Museum.

The trains are fine because they run frequently. The Broad Street Line goes straight to the sports complex and even offers express trains.

SEPTA is fine. For your purposes you may want to check out the Philly Phlash because you can get all day passes for five dollars. For the stadiums just take the BSL.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Steve's Prince of Steaks was fantastic.

Also, upgrade the subway system. Tokens? In 2015? Really?

bigkrev

Steve's Prince of Steaks was fantastic.

Also, upgrade the subway system. Tokens? In 2015? Really?

They should have upgraded it years ago, but they aren't stupid and changing something that's worked for decades until after the Pope visit.
The only nice thing about Tokens is that you can easily lend someone a token or sell your tokens, and that even if the fare rates go up, your old tokens will still work (My mom bought 1000 tokens years ago when they were increasing the rate).

And with coins you don't have like a dollar on your patco card because numbers are weird and you can only add in increments of $20...

damnit it's my dollar and I want it now!

bigkrev

And with coins you don't have like a dollar on your patco card because numbers are weird and you can only add in increments of $20...

damnit it's my dollar and I want it now!

You can go into a negative balance on your Patco card, and if you never use that card again, you have that extra 2 bucks or so forever!

The Llama

The only nice thing about Tokens is that you can easily lend someone a token or sell your tokens, and that even if the fare rates go up, your old tokens will still work (My mom bought 1000 tokens years ago when they were increasing the rate).

I'm gonna miss this so much tbh. Tokens flexibility is so good.

bigkrev

wait really? that's actually interesting to know. not like i'd really care to do that.

Yeah. As long as you have any amount of money on your card, the gates will open for you. You will have to make it back to a positive value before you can ride again after that trip, though.

gcubed

so i was thinking of coming back next year and the job i wanted actually came up much sooner (as in, next few months, then travel back to philly one week a month until about May/June and then move). I thought I had more time to decide on uprooting again and moving back! I may see you suckers early

vypek

Whats SEPTA planning to upgrade to? I haven't looked into the new stuff. Its a card you wave at those red outlined scanners, right? Or something else. Wondering if I'll switch to something new instead of a monthly transpass.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Whats SEPTA planning to upgrade to? I haven't looked into the new stuff. Its a card you wave at those red outlined scanners, right? Or something else. Wondering if I'll switch to something new instead of a monthly transpass.

Yeah.

http://www.septa.org/key/

I haven't seen how much the fare is going to be. I'm assuming it's going up, but by how much...

esms

so i was thinking of coming back next year and the job i wanted actually came up much sooner (as in, next few months, then travel back to philly one week a month until about May/June and then move). I thought I had more time to decide on uprooting again and moving back! I may see you suckers early

We'll regale you with pope stories.

Deku Tree

Comcast must be feeling the heat from FIOS setting up in South Philly. I just got an email saying that when I power cycle my modem then I will have a Free 3x speed boost from 25 to 75 Mbps. I'm gonna go try it out.

Comcast must be feeling the heat from FIOS setting up in South Philly. I just got an email saying that when I power cycle my modem then I will have a Free 3x speed boost from 25 to 75 Mbps. I'm gonna go try it out.

FIOS really made them start getting their shit in order

RBH

I've been in Philly for the past month working at one of the hospitals here. It's nice to be able to use the subway or walk everyday to and from work (a welcome change from what I'm used to in Atlanta). But the non-uniformity in the payment options at the subway stations is a bit frustrating at times. Some stations will have token machines while some won't, the need for exact change at the entrance window, charging extra for using exact change at the station ($2.25 instead of $1.80) when there's no token machine there, no credit card options...........but I'm glad that Septa is changing over to a more uniform system soon. I can understand though why people like the token system as far as long-term flexibility goes.

Deku Tree

Ok I'm getting 40-50 Mbps using the speed test app. Haven't seen any 75 Mbps yet. My old 25Mbps speed fluctuated too so I have to wait and see if I ever get the top speeds.

I've been in Philly for the past month working at one of the hospitals here. It's nice to be able to use the subway or walk everyday to and from work (a welcome change from what I'm used to in Atlanta). But the non-uniformity in the payment options at the subway stations is a bit frustrating at times. Some stations will have token machines while some won't, the need for exact change at the entrance window, charging extra for using exact change at the station when there's no token machine there, no credit card options...........but I'm glad that Septa is changing over to a more uniform system soon. I ca understand though why people like the token system as far as long-term flexibility goes.

Yeah that sucks. You gotta go out of your way to buy tokens, or over pay for them at a local bodega which resells them and you just find out about that by looking around. I am ready for the pay as you go fare card.

Ryuukan

I should check this out tonight

its great living near a fios battleground, even though its not available for me, Comcast thinks it is

New Wawa on Broad and South opening September 18!

Not sure why we need one only 4 blocks from the 10th and Walnut one, but... whatever, I guess. We really need one back in the 11th and Arch area after that one closed in June.

They are also opening a flagship store at Broad and Walnut, which will almost definitely sell six packs. I think Wawa is aggressively trying to get back into cities after years of only expanding with their mega gas station model.

I've been in Philly for the past month working at one of the hospitals here. It's nice to be able to use the subway or walk everyday to and from work (a welcome change from what I'm used to in Atlanta). But the non-uniformity in the payment options at the subway stations is a bit frustrating at times. Some stations will have token machines while some won't, the need for exact change at the entrance window, charging extra for using exact change at the station ($2.25 instead of $1.80) when there's no token machine there, no credit card options...........but I'm glad that Septa is changing over to a more uniform system soon. I can understand though why people like the token system as far as long-term flexibility goes.

If you use it enough it's far easier to get monthly passes.

They are also opening a flagship store at Broad and Walnut, which will almost definitely sell six packs. I think Wawa is aggressively trying to get back into cities after years of only expanding with their mega gas station model.

If you use it enough it's far easier to get monthly passes.

Oh, yeah, that article was for the Broad and Walnut one, which is 4 blocks from the one at 10th. I wrote South by accident. (Wishful thinking!) That article also says it's "Center City's first new Wawa in decades".

esms

Is there truth to this? I thought liquor laws made it so only restaurant types and dedicated beer distributors could sell beer.

Top Bottom