• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

esms

http://www.philly.com/philly/infographics/Map_Walking_Routes_Ticketed_Areas_for_Popes_visit.html

New map is up.

Of note:

Prohibited items

These items will not be permitted past the security entry points. The Secret Service also may prohibit items not listed below that are determined to be a potential safety hazard.

• Aerosols
• Ammunition
• Animals, except for service animals
• Backpacks and bags exceeding 18" x 13" x 7"
• Balloons
• Bicycles
• Drones
• Explosives, firearms, or weapons
• Glass, thermal, or metal containers
• Hard-sided coolers (soft-sided thermal coolers are allowed)
• Laser pointers
• Mace or pepper spray
• Packages
• Selfie sticks
• Signs exceeding 5' x 3' x 1/4" made of any material except cardboard, poster board, or cloth
• Structures
• Supports for signs and placards
• Toy guns

Secret service has good taste.

Le Bok Fin

tCLf2z6.jpeg

esms

On Saturday night during MIA I went out on my stoop to watch the drunken crowds wander home. No less than three people asked me if I'd drive them home for money in a 20 minute span. You could have made a mint driving people that night.

Regardless of your dislike for Uber, you should drive for them during events like that if you get people asking you for rides unsolicited.

Regardless of your dislike for Uber, you should drive for them during events like that if you get people asking you for rides unsolicited.

The reason they were asking is cause the surge pricing was like 5x normal prices and they couldn't afford it as it was. Sure they made a mint though. SEPTA should just run trains during events like MIA

I'll believe dat when I see it!

It's going before the Zoning commission the end of this month. The planning commission and neighborhood groups have already signed off on it. They just need a special exception in order to allow for the above ground parking garage, as underground parking is allowed by right, but above ground is not. Zoning commission will likely rubber stamp it. I think these guys are serious because they're not the usual speculators that create plans then flip them, they're big time investors from NYC.

The groundbreaking for the Divine Lorraine is on now. Apparently the line of people who want to see it before it gets fixed up is wrapped around the building. Something like 7000 people signed up to attend on facbeook.

The demand for apartments in that thing is going to be unreal.

Pbae

Really happy they're finally doing something with it. I always thought it was an eye sore; especially when everything around it was being remodeled or fixed.

The Llama

Really happy they're finally fixing up the Divine Lorraine. My only concern has always been just how structurally sound it is, but maybe I think its worse than it actually is just because it needs to be cleaned up a bit.

The groundbreaking for the Divine Lorraine is on now. Apparently the line of people who want to see it before it gets fixed up is wrapped around the building. Something like 7000 people signed up to attend on facbeook.

The demand for apartments in that thing is going to be unreal.
And it has the greatest name of any building ever. It deserves to be saved just because of that

Edit: Anyone ever go to Bloktoberfest?http://bloktoberfestphilly.com/

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
They put on at Broad and Oregon? The Broad and Walnut one opened today, not sure if that's what you are talking about.

This is a very good question, I will have to investigate.

Oh god why did I say Oregon lol

Yes, I meant Broad and Walnut.

it's up in delaware wawas, so probably.

on a side note, pope visit cancelled my thursday kickball. you'll answer for this pope

kickball? Sounds like fun, I haven't played in years.

Pope got me a three day weekend.

Same, but I'm sorta on standby.

vypek

The pope has some people I know working from home and others taking a 3 day weekend. For me, its neither since I don't live in Philly and it doesn't seem the trolley route I'm on is affected Monday through Friday.

Walked out from the subway and was greeted by a line of them all down Broad and Walnut.

Yup, over the weekend they put up several full blocks of them - Market from 17th to 18th, Walnut over the river. They are zip tied shut for now but that didn't stop at least 2 people trying to break the ties to get in, I saw this morning.

bigkrev

Walked by dozens of Portapottys on my way from the Septa station to work.

Thank fuck my work closes early on Thursday and isn't open Friday

So I know which roads are closed for the Pope but I have no idea what my commute to work is going to look like Thursday-Monday. I take 476 South from plymouth meeting area and get on 95 South to Wilmington in the morning, and then the opposite to get home. Any news reports about what traffic will look like before the road closures on the major highways? I have a feeling traffic getting home will be a nightmare Friday

Shit is going to get crazy. Someone told me that they are shutting down Fairmount Ave and Spring Garden on Thursday? I thought that was supposed to happen Friday morning.

The quantity and coverage of portajohns is astounding. Took a taxi from my house to university city and saw at least 5 of them on every block of the route.

Alucrid

Banned
If I still lived down there I'd just stock up on beer and pizza and play video games for the five day stretch. Shots gonna be insane everywhere

it's up in delaware wawas, so probably.

on a side note, pope visit cancelled my thursday kickball. you'll answer for this pope

Oh hell yes. I need to make my way back before Thanksgiving for one

If I still lived down there I'd just stock up on beer and pizza and play video games for the five day stretch. Shots gonna be insane everywhere

Oh hell yes. I need to make my way back before Thanksgiving for one

Yeah I am debating just getting like three cases of beer and buckling down for the weekend.

My family has tickets and train passes to go but I don't think I'd want to be stuck in that mayhem for a whole day. The Phillies parade was big enough, and this is gonna be much bigger than that.

bro1

Banned
I used to live in Phoenixville and it looks like the Pope is shutting down 422 for the weekend? It's like a human blizzard has flown in for the weekend

Loxley

Saw this sign while on my way back into Philly from Cherry Hill:

FQZJ8iW.jpg

Traffic's gonna be bonkers. Luckily I'll actually be in Denver all weekend, so #PhillyPopeacolypse2015 will completely bypass me.

A question for previous and current renters in building older than 1978:

How serious is the lead paint issue? Having read the lease I am about to sign, the lead testing and certification appears to be standard procedure but having a child under 6 y/o, it kind of freaked me out as I never thought about this stuff before. Is the typical remediation (i.e. painting over) good enough?

Any other tips or suggestions in this regard? The testing is currently scheduled (we should get the results in a couple days) and I want to hold off on signing the lease before the results are in but this may seem like a bad move if the testing was order on our explicit verbal agreement that we will lease the unit.

Or am I being paranoid?

Top Bottom