• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Is there truth to this? I thought liquor laws made it so only restaurant types and dedicated beer distributors could sell beer.

No, you can sell six packs with a special license. Check out places like the Foodery, Old Philly Ale House, etc. The requirements are that you have a certain amount of dedicated table space in the establishment for people to eat. Once that requirement is met you can get a license to sell six packs. The new Wawa is going to have dedicated tables inside the store from what I've heard. The only reason for them to do that logically speaking, since it goes against their existing models, is if it allows them to get the deli/six pack license to sell six packs. A Wawa location in Delaware County has been actively pursuing this. Several supermarkets have also pursued this, notably one in South Philly that now sells alcohol in a separate deli area. My guess is that this Wawa will have no trouble getting the license to sell six packs.

bigkrev

No, you can sell six packs with a special license. Check out places like the Foodery, Old Philly Ale House, etc. The requirements are that you have a certain amount of dedicated table space in the establishment for people to eat. Once that requirement is met you can get a license to sell six packs. The new Wawa is going to have dedicated tables inside the store from what I've heard. The only reason for them to do that logically speaking, since it goes against their existing models, is if it allows them to get the deli/six pack license to sell six packs. A Wawa location in Delaware County has been actively pursuing this. Several supermarkets have also pursued this, notably one in South Philly that now sells alcohol in a separate deli area. My guess is that this Wawa will have no trouble getting the license to sell six packs.

The real question is, can I buy a 6 pack with my Mac and Cheese, and drink it while eating in the store?

Old Philly Ale House is truly fantastic. Anastasia, the lady that runs it, is a total riot.

It's so close but I rarely go. I don't drink as much beer as I used to cause I'm trying to avoid the carbs, so I generally don't by as much as I used to. I also live super close to Stone's beverage center so I typically go there and buy a case. Actually, you can get 12 packs now, which is great!

The real question is, can I buy a 6 pack with my Mac and Cheese, and drink it while eating in the store?

That's the idea! It will truly be the greatest Wawa experience. I just hope the place isn't a constant shitshow. Whenever I drink down town I typically walk to the Walnut Locust station and take the night owl. I will be presented with a Wawa that sells beer (although they may not be able to sell it after a certain hour). My liver is going to hate me.

esms

I guess that's the least asinine liquor rule this state has.

That reminds me... There's a new package store opening at 31st and girard to compliment the grocery store that just opened there. I'm tempted to become a fat drunk.

I guess that's the least asinine liquor rule this state has.

That reminds me... There's a new package store opening at 31st and girard to compliment the grocery store that just opened there. I'm tempted to become a fat drunk.

I go to the 20th and Fairmount one, but I hate that it's not a premium collection store. They put a premium collection store in No Libs, but not one in Spring Garden/Fairmount when the area is far more affluent than the No Libs area. It bothers me!

Ralemont

not me
Ok I'm getting 40-50 Mbps using the speed test app. Haven't seen any 75 Mbps yet. My old 25Mbps speed fluctuated too so I have to wait and see if I ever get the top speeds.

Probably just pulling the "up to" bullshit on you. I'm supposed to get 100mb a month but I normally get under 70. If you call and bitch they remind you that you are paying to get "up to 100 a month"

esms

I go to the 20th and Fairmount one, but I hate that it's not a premium collection store. They put a premium collection store in No Libs, but not one in Spring Garden/Fairmount when the area is far more affluent than the No Libs area. It bothers me!

No Libs has all of the post-undergrad kids. Went to visit a buddy who just moved into the Piazza last weekend and it's like college after college down there.

Need to quench their thirst.

Deku Tree

Probably just pulling the "up to" bullshit on you. I'm supposed to get 100mb a month but I normally get under 70. If you call and bitch they remind you that you are paying to get "up to 100 a month"

Oh yeah I just looked at the email again... and they put in that "up to" garbage. Wow... awful marketing... Comcast gonna Comcast.

No Libs has all of the post-undergrad kids. Went to visit a buddy who just moved into the Piazza last weekend and it's like college after college down there.

Right, but those are the people that buy a $20 bottle of JD. Fairmount/Spring Garden are the people that buy the $100 bottle of Scotch. Hence why I think it's a travesty that No Libs has the premium store and Fairmount doesn't.

Walrus, we probaby live within a block of one another.

Not entirely unlikely. Francisville is the best. You probably see me walking my little Westie on a regular basis.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

That's my ACME. :eek:

They even allow you to buy a single bottle, but it has to be consumed on the premises.

StevieWhite

Squirrel just hit a transformer in my block. Sounded like a bomb went off. No power. Thankfully, my neighbor works for PECO, so this may get a quicker response than usual. Power outrages suck.

andthebeatgoeson

What does it say about me that I heard someone at work say Dawkins died and I panicked, but when I saw it was Darryl I felt relieved because I thought he was talking about Bryan Dawkins?
I was going to give you shit but if they just said Dawkins, I would have assumed B Dawk.

I was going to give you shit but if they just said Dawkins, I would have assumed B Dawk.

Dont be silly you cant kill Wolverine.

32135fb655b4d481bd4a0bdc4837c477.jpg

____

Hey, I'm flying out to Philly tomorrow morning (first time) and will be there until Wednesday. Any major stuff I shouldn't miss? Will read OP when I get a few mins, but saw the thread pop up and just wondering if there's any new can't miss things that've been mentioned outside of the OP.

Hey, I'm flying out to Philly tomorrow morning (first time) and will be there until Wednesday. Any major stuff I shouldn't miss? Will read OP when I get a few mins, but saw the thread pop up and just wondering if there's any new can't miss things that've been mentioned outside of the OP.

How old are you (ie can you drink?), and what are you into? Also, where are you staying? I can name lots of cool bars, restaurants, museums, etc, but it helps to have a guideline of some variety.

Ralemont

not me
Yeah depends where you will be. There are too many good bars/restaurants in the city to make city-wide recs.

Usually when friends come in town though I take them to Reading Terminal. Cool place to grab lunch and souvenirs.

Went to Townsend tonight. Each got three courses.

Course one: beef tartare, marinated hamachi

Notably the beef tartare was served with toasted bread that was done to perfection. The reason I point this out is because all too often it's served with crisped bread that is so hard that it cracks apart when you bite. The toast this was served with was sprinkled with cheese and had perfect texture. The tartare had a prevalent mustard taste and the perfect level of tenderness in the beef.

The hamachi was light and delicate. An initial intense lemony tartness followed by a great umami flavor. Quite an excellent summer dish.

Course two: jumbo lump Crab risotto, sautéed sweetbreads.

Risotto was fairly standard, but the crab flavor was completely lacking from the rice. My wife said Crab was prevalent, but the single bite I had lacked Crab flavor. I need to eat more of it to rate it properly but I was disappointed.

The sweetbread was breaded and lightly sautéed. Very delicate texture and great flavor. Served with an olive/tomato/potato sauce or medley. The olives saltiness perfecly complimented the delicate flavor of the sweetbread.

Course three:pan Roasted Magret Duck Breast, Seared Spotted Skate Wing

Duck was slightly overcooked for my taste, but still very moist and tender. Served with a port reduction and corn and white beans. Port reduction had an awesome spiced and raiseny flavor. Sauce was maybe better than the meat.

Skate was a bit salty to my palate, but my wife found it not salty and she is usually more sensitive to salt. I think tye sweet/spicy port reduction ruined my palate for this. Came with a delightful corn/bacon accent that really elevated the dish.

$160 + tip.

Rating: 7/10

After dinner we strolled to Stateside and sat at their outside bar and got some drinks, but my wife had been having tummy trouble all day so we headed home early.

Edit: forgot to mention, they gave us the best seat in the resaurant. We were right in the second floor Bay window and got to see the budweiser Clydesdales March down passyunk.

Rainy

Banned
So what stores are allowed to sell alcohol in Pennsylvania? I'm a bit confused.

Edit: Looks like we just had a discussion about this earlier on in the page, my bad! Hm..

Random as shit:

Trying to find out what's going on later tonight after the Kevin Hart show. Supposed to be an after party a Rumor but Rumor would've promoted that hard; and there is no mention of it on their site/Facebook/Twitter.

No Libs is the worst. Occasionally I hit up a spot or two down there (I hate bowling but when I do go, I go to North Bowl). Otherwise, Center City west is where it's at.

Yeah depends where you will be. There are too many good bars/restaurants in the city to make city-wide recs.

Usually when friends come in town though I take them to Reading Terminal. Cool place to grab lunch and souvenirs.
One thing I can say about Philly, the food is delicious. But what I like about it is there are a ton of mom and pop restaurants here and I love that. In my neighborhood (UCity), there was a huge uproar when a Subway and Dominoes Pizza opened up. We don't like chains. Like... at all.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
One thing I can say about Philly, the food is delicious. But what I like about it is there are a ton of mom and pop restaurants here and I love that. In my neighborhood (UCity), there was a huge uproar when a Subway and Dominoes Pizza opened up. We don't like chains. Like... at all.

Good. Those places suck.

Marijuana arrests down 77%

According to data provided to Billy Penn by the Philadelphia police department, only 567 arrests for marijuana possession have been made from November 2014 — days after the new law went into effect — to the beginning of August 2015. In the same timeframe 2013 to 2014, police made 2,512 arrests. That’s a drop of 77 percent.

When the bill passed it was supposed to save $7m in costs per year. I wonder if it's hitting that goal yet?

Is anyone familiar with streets north of Market (i.e. Arch St, Cherry St) between 15th and 20th with regard to livability? My little one's daycare is on 16th and Market and we're looking to possibly rent nearby within a short walking distance.

Rent for apartments south of Market St is super pricy but north of Market seems significantly cheaper given comparable sq footage. Is there a reason for this discrepancy? I tried looking up various outlets and most seems to mention the homeless that like to congregate at the LOVE park/City hall as well and dealing with construction noises due to high rises being built in the area.

The Llama

Is anyone familiar with streets north of Market (i.e. Arch St, Cherry St) between 15th and 20th with regard to livability? My little one's daycare is on 16th and Market and we're looking to possibly rent nearby within a short walking distance.

Rent for apartments south of Market St is super pricy but north of Market seems significantly cheaper given comparable sq footage. Is there a reason for this discrepancy? I tried looking up various outlets and most seems to mention the homeless that like to congregate at the LOVE park/City hall as well and dealing with construction noises due to high rises being built in the area.

I don't think there's really much, if any, housing in that area tbh. You'd have to look a little west, like between 20th and the river.

Deku Tree

Well you've got the sterling: http://www.sterlingapthomes.com

And a few other much smaller buildings with apartments that you can rent.
It's close to public transportation and walking distance to the chestnut st-Walnut st shopping areas.
It's not bad.

Noise and homeless are things you'll deal with living in the city just about anywhere. Construction noises are only between 7am -4pm by law anyplace. Below Market is just more high rent district than above market.

Usually people choose daycare near where they want to live, instead of choosing where they live based upon location of daycare.

I don't think there's really much, if any, housing in that area tbh. You'd have to look a little west, like between 20th and the river.

There appears to be a few around. The Sterling as mentioned by Deku and theres The Arch. Rentals are cheaper in these places and I have no handle on why.

Well you've got the sterling: http://www.sterlingapthomes.com

And a few other much smaller buildings with apartments that you can rent.
It's close to public transportation and walking distance to the chestnut st-Walnut st shopping areas.
It's not bad.

Noise and homeless are things you'll deal with living in the city just about anywhere. Construction noises are only between 7am -4pm by law anyplace. Below Market is just more high rent district than above market.

Usually people choose daycare near where they want to live, instead of choosing where they live based upon location of daycare.

My wife and I had a long discussion about this. It was either close proximity to where we live or where we work. In the end, proximity to work won out for various reasons, one of which was that where we will live still hasn't been decided yet (we're looking to buy but no property that we like has surfaced as of yet so looking to rent for about a year). Having looked at 7 or 8 different daycares, the one we decided on was a place we felt least bad about leaving our daughter in for 9+ hrs per day.

Deku Tree

There appears to be a few around. The Sterling as mentioned by Deku and theres The Arch. Rentals are cheaper in these places and I have no handle on why.

My wife and I had a long discussion about this. It was either close proximity to where we live or where we work. In the end, proximity to work won out for various reasons, one of which was that where we will live still hasn't been decided yet (we're looking to buy but no property that we like has surfaced as of yet so looking to rent for about a year). Having looked at 7 or 8 different daycares, the one we decided on was a place we felt least bad about leaving our daughter in for 9+ hrs per day.

Makes a lot of sense.

It's true that love park attracts homeless as a place to sleep at night, at least that was the case the last time I walked by it at night a few years ago. It's also true that they are building tall buildings in that area right now. On the other hand a lot of city parks become homeless sleeping zones at night. And a lot of buildings are going up in different nghbds too.

But I don't think that stuff affects the price. Rents really go by neighborhood. In your area I think it's really more like the closer you are to rittenhouse sq the higher the rents get on a block by block basis. Even though right on rittenhouse can be extremely noisy at night.

I used to live at the EdgeWater on 23rd and Race: http://www.edgewaterapthomes.com/

It's a bit outside your "requested zone" but it's a really nice building. Quiet. Modern. Extremely good service by the property managers. Easy Parking. Free coffee in the lobby. Downside is that it's a further walk to get to the middle of the city, work and daycare.

What price range and amenities are you targetting?

What price range and amenities are you targetting?
We're looking for 2br/2ba but 2br/1ba will also work. Our upper range was $2000 but after looking around at online apartment apps, it seems I will have to raise it to around $2500 if I want it in a decent building/condition. I don't care too much about pools or exercise rooms but a doorman/parcel holding room would be nice. At around $2500, I'm also looking for one of the utilities to be included.

The Sterling apartment looked nice on Zillow but a little digging found a ton of disgruntled tenants. Not sure about other apartments nearby as less info is available about them online. I will go see them when the time comes to get a better sense. I told our RE agent that if we haven't found a house we like by mid September, we will look into renting in Center City for a year and take our time.

We're looking for 2br/2ba but 2br/1ba will also work. Our upper range was $2000 but after looking around at online apartment apps, it seems I will have to raise it to around $2500 if I want it in a decent building/condition. I don't care too much about pools or exercise rooms but a doorman/parcel holding room would be nice. At around $2500, I'm also looking for one of the utilities to be included.

The Sterling apartment looked nice on Zillow but a little digging found a ton of disgruntled tenants. Not sure about other apartments nearby as less info is available about them online. I will go see them when the time comes to get a better sense. I told our RE agent that if we haven't found a house we like by mid September, we will look into renting in Center City for a year and take our time.

I know a few that haven't been mentioned. It's going to be tough finding a 2b/2ba for $2000 in that neighborhood in any large building. The closest I know of that you'll get will be the Carlyle, but they are 2b/1ba. Wanamaker House will run you $2500 for a 2b/2ba. Don't think either are dog friendly, but you didn't list that as a concern. You can also check out 1500 Locust, but people gripe about the management there at time.

KeRaSh

Wait. Wawa on Walnut

Saw PhillyGAF OT.
Was reminded of Wawa.
Went to wawa.com.
Cried uncontrollably.

The day Wawa expands to Germany I will quit my job on the spot and send them my application. I will only accept Hoagies as payment.

I'm so jeallous of you guys. Someone please send me pictures of a Buffalo Chicken Hoagie. The photos on their homepage just don't cut it.

whats the best neighborhood for 1br apartments? or 2?

I know a lot of places are sometimes all rowhomes, just wondering if anyone has a tip.

Deku Tree

whats the best neighborhood for 1br apartments? or 2?

I know a lot of places are sometimes all rowhomes, just wondering if anyone has a tip.

That's a very subjective question. Really you have to ask what is your price range? And what type of things do you want to have within walking distance? Where do you want to hang out? How far do you want to be from work/school?

I know a few that haven't been mentioned. It's going to be tough finding a 2b/2ba for $2000 in that neighborhood in any large building. The closest I know of that you'll get will be the Carlyle, but they are 2b/1ba. Wanamaker House will run you $2500 for a 2b/2ba. Don't think either are dog friendly, but you didn't list that as a concern. You can also check out 1500 Locust, but people gripe about the management there at time.
Thanks for the info. Carlyle I saw around previously but not Wanamaker or 1500 Locust. I will look into those. As long as the the gripe isn't due to untended roach infestation and/or sewage overflow, I'm good. :)

Top Bottom