• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Last week for Harbor Park, so I went down and laid in one of the hammocks for a while. Took a picture of the lights in the trees. Where can I get lights like these?

cXcq9iC.jpg

A question for previous and current renters in building older than 1978:

How serious is the lead paint issue? Having read the lease I am about to sign, the lead testing and certification appears to be standard procedure but having a child under 6 y/o, it kind of freaked me out as I never thought about this stuff before. Is the typical remediation (i.e. painting over) good enough?

Any other tips or suggestions in this regard? The testing is currently scheduled (we should get the results in a couple days) and I want to hold off on signing the lease before the results are in but this may seem like a bad move if the testing was order on our explicit verbal agreement that we will lease the unit.

Or am I being paranoid?

It's still an issue for slumlords and people who have owned their places for decades, but other than that it's not really an issue. If the testing passes you pretty much have nothing to worry about. If the walls are drywall, and not plaster, I would say there is very little chance you have anything to worry about as well. Anyway, I don't see any reason you would have to sign the lease if you made it contingent on successful testing. I don't think the landlord should have any problem with that.

All of the streets around my house are devoid of cars. It's really bizarro land. I kind of like it and wish there were less cars parked on streets now.

The Llama

Apparently there are signs as far out as DuBois warning about pope traffic. I know someone who was driving back from the Chicago area and saw it.

Loxley

So I've got a flight out of Philly International at 8:00am on Friday, I should be okay to take I-95 South (driving from East Kensington) to get there, right?

It's still an issue for slumlords and people who have owned their places for decades, but other than that it's not really an issue. If the testing passes you pretty much have nothing to worry about. If the walls are drywall, and not plaster, I would say there is very little chance you have anything to worry about as well. Anyway, I don't see any reason you would have to sign the lease if you made it contingent on successful testing. I don't think the landlord should have any problem with that.

All of the streets around my house are devoid of cars. It's really bizarro land. I kind of like it and wish there were less cars parked on streets now.
Thanks for your input. I feel better about it now. As you said,I spoke to a few people and it doesn't seems like a big deal, at least in some of the decent apartment complexes. More of an annoying technicality for landlords.

bigkrev

Ride into work from Cherry Hill via Ben Franklin Bridge this morning took less time than it takes on the average day. Parking in my garage was super easy as well.

It's as if people are just avoiding the city right now.

esms

Ride into work from Cherry Hill via Ben Franklin Bridge this morning took less time than it takes on the average day. Parking in my garage was super easy as well.

The gym this morning was glorious. Almost totally empty.

Pepiope

Yes. I love it. It should be pope eve everyday.

vypek

The commute over the past two days has been incredible for me, especially today. So empty/serene. I'm not hating this "popeacoypse" so far. At least I don't have anything serious to do tomorrow so I'll be fine. Not going to be near the city

Rainy

Banned
Yeah today in the Rittenhouse area it was so dead. It was pretty nice actually. A lot of military (or reserve or...something) were on every corner though.

Burt

I hope they've been overestimating everything and everyone got pope'd out in DC and New York and they end up shutting the city down for like 16 people that show up who haven't seen him yet.

I was going to visit some family in South Jersey this weekend but ended up deciding not to go in fear that I wouldn't be able to make it back on Sunday from all the traffic. So far it looks like I would have made the trip in record time though. Oh well. I'll stick to my new plan and just chill this weekend.

Nah fam. I wanted NO PART of this Pope shit. Empty streets for photos would've been nice, but it would've been hell on earth trying to do all that stuff, so no thanks.

NOT YET *Pope comes back*

Trying to do all what stuff? All I did was walk around the city, getting into every restaurant, bar, etc I wanted to with literally no waiting or hassle whatsoever. It was great. So many awesome discounts and themes at the bars/restaurants too. The point I am making is that for people who stayed in the city getting around was super easy, and the experience was incredible. I'm not religious at all so I just sort of people watched and walked around and it was awesome. It was easier to get around the city than it usually was with maybe the only exception being slightly worse mass transit. I had to walk an extra block if I had wanted to take the subway. But why take the subway when you can walk up the middle of the streets get views you otherwise never can.

It was really only a hassle if you were actually trying to get into one of the Pope events.

ACE 1991

Seriously considering signing a lease with my girlfriend for a 1 bedroom in Manayunk tonight. Will I be seriously screwed commute wise working all the way out in Bristol, PA?

Seriously considering signing a lease with my girlfriend for a 1 bedroom in Manayunk tonight. Will I be seriously screwed commute wise working all the way out in Bristol, PA?

You can take the Trenton Line. The big problem you'll have is that you have to get from Manayunk to 30th Street Station first, which is at least 15-20 mins via public transit. I'd recommend university city to cut that portion out. It's a 40 minute ride from 30th Street to Bristol from 30th Street Station, which is a reasonable commute. From Manayunk you're looking at at least an hour.

You can drive. It'll take 45 an hour depending on traffic. You'll also be driving on the most dangerous highway in the US, Roosevelt Blvd.

ACE 1991

You can take the Trenton Line. The big problem you'll have is that you have to get from Manayunk to 30th Street Station first, which is at least 15-20 mins via public transit. I'd recommend university city to cut that portion out. It's a 40 minute ride from 30th Street to Bristol from 30th Street Station, which is a reasonable commute. From Manayunk you're looking at at least an hour.

You can drive. It'll take 45 an hour depending on traffic. You'll also be driving on the most dangerous highway in the US, Roosevelt Blvd.

We committed to the Manayunk apartment on Sumac st. I really don't mind driving, to be honest. The problem is I am currently on my parent's insurance policy (we have three cars and only 3 drivers at the moment they are letting me use one), but will be unable to stay on it when I turn 24. While they will still own the car (they live in Wayne where I grew up), I will have to pay for the full coverage and I'm afraid it's going to cost a shitload of money since I would now be living in Philadelphia. It seems dumb as hell to shell out all that insurance money for a car I don't even own.

EDIT: I lived the Roosevelt Blvd. lifestyle while I lived in the Northeast. Bring it on.

We committed to the Manayunk apartment on Sumac st. I really don't mind driving, to be honest. The problem is I am currently on my parent's insurance policy (we have three cars and only 3 drivers at the moment they are letting me use one), but will be unable to stay on it when I turn 24. While they will still own the car (they live in Wayne where I grew up), I will have to pay for the full coverage and I'm afraid it's going to cost a shitload of money since I would now be living in Philadelphia. It seems dumb as hell to shell out all that insurance money for a car I don't even own.

EDIT: I lived the Roosevelt Blvd. lifestyle while I lived in the Northeast. Bring it on.

I have a car and two drivers with comprehensive coverage and it costs me about $1150 a year. It's not really that expensive. I do bundle with my homeowners and life policy, so I get a discount, but it really depends. On the otherhand I think I get discounts for offstreet parking and for driving less than 7500 miles a year. You need to search out all of those discounts when you are getting the insurance. College degrees, clean driving history, etc are all beneficial. I have no moving violations in the last 8 years, though my wife has had an accident. If you don't have comprehensive coverage but just liability/medical it'll probably be under $1k a year for you.

ACE 1991

I have a car and two drivers with comprehensive coverage and it costs me about $1150 a year. It's not really that expensive. I do bundle with my homeowners and life policy, so I get a discount, but it really depends. On the otherhand I think I get discounts for offstreet parking and for driving less than 7500 miles a year. You need to search out all of those discounts when you are getting the insurance. College degrees, clean driving history, etc are all beneficial. I have no moving violations in the last 8 years, though my wife has had an accident. If you don't have comprehensive coverage but just liability/medical it'll probably be under $1k a year for you.

I'm wondering if it'll be cheaper to just add myself as an adult driver to my parent's current plan. Seems weird to get a separate policy when the car is in their name.

EDIT: So they changed the addresses of where one of the cars is registered with the insurance (Sumac St in Manayunk where I will live) and the premium went up $260, which I'll gladly pay over getting my own policy.

So think my commute will stay to 45 minutes? I'm hoping US 1 to 95 won't be as bad as I'm imagining 76 to 95 would.

I'm wondering if it'll be cheaper to just add myself as an adult driver to my parent's current plan. Seems weird to get a separate policy when the car is in their name.

EDIT: So they changed the addresses of where one of the cars is registered with the insurance (Sumac St in Manayunk where I will live) and the premium went up $260, which I'll gladly pay over getting my own policy.

So think my commute will stay to 45 minutes? I'm hoping US 1 to 95 won't be as bad as I'm imagining 76 to 95 would.

Never really done that commute, but I'd expect it to swing wildly on each day. They should make an alarm clock app that wakes you up earlier if the predicts your commute will be longer than normal.

ACE 1991

Never really done that commute, but I'd expect it to swing wildly on each day. They should make an alarm clock app that wakes you up earlier if the predicts your commute will be longer than normal.

Yeah, we'll have to see. Regardless I am very excited to move to Manayunk after living in Northeast Philly for the past 7 months, it seems like an awesome place to be as a 23 year old. My girlfriend and I found a 1 bedroom for $795/month (split between us) which seems very reasonable.

The Llama

Yeah, we'll have to see. Regardless I am very excited to move to Manayunk after living in Northeast Philly for the past 7 months, it seems like an awesome place to be as a 23 year old. My girlfriend and I found a 1 bedroom for $795/month (split between us) which seems very reasonable.

A lot of my friends lived in Manayunk after college (we're all 24-26 now). They all loved it for a year or so then moved out and don't miss it lol. I think that's the kind of place it is, ya know?

I lived in Manayunk for a few years and really liked it. I would also drive back to Langhorne all the time so it was nice being so close to the Blvd.

ACE 1991

A lot of my friends lived in Manayunk after college (we're all 24-26 now). They all loved it for a year or so then moved out and don't miss it lol. I think that's the kind of place it is, ya know?

I lived in Manayunk for a few years and really liked it. I would also drive back to Langhorne all the time so it was nice being so close to the Blvd.

There is no way it won't be more than Bustleton/Elkins Park, that's for sure.

Top Bottom