• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Miker

Found out I'll be starting a new job in Philly in July. Don't suppose anybody has suggestions on where to live, probably in the Center City area? Also, is it worth getting my car up here?

Found out I'll be starting a new job in Philly in July. Don't suppose anybody has suggestions on where to live, probably in the Center City area? Also, is it worth getting my car up here?

Do you have a price range? Also, what sort of housing? 1br, studio?

Parking varies depending on neighborhood. Generally a car is a luxury and not a necessity. Philly is extremely walkable and has good public transit coverage.

The Llama

Woohoo, basically the entire law department got raises today! Thank you #based Kenney!

Now to find out how much they actually are...

Anyone else not thrilled with Mayor Kenney so far? I've had quite a few gripes and it hasn't been that long. It's very clear that Kenney is treating unions with increased favoritism compared to Nutter at this point already. The sugary drink tax is just a silly idea. It's regressive, it targets a single industry, and it's not clear it would raise anywhere near the revenue it is claimed it would. Kenney has also not come down on outbreaks of teen violence or addressed the recent rash of violent crime in the same manner Nutter used to. Largely it seems like Kenney is just content to sit quietly and not communicate anything at this point.

Matsukaze

Anyone else not thrilled with Mayor Kenney so far? I've had quite a few gripes and it hasn't been that long. It's very clear that Kenney is treating unions with increased favoritism compared to Nutter at this point already. The sugary drink tax is just a silly idea. It's regressive, it targets a single industry, and it's not clear it would raise anywhere near the revenue it is claimed it would. Kenney has also not come down on outbreaks of teen violence or addressed the recent rash of violent crime in the same manner Nutter used to. Largely it seems like Kenney is just content to sit quietly and not communicate anything at this point.
I mean, he definitely has some big shoes to fill, so I can appreciate the difficulties of having to follow up Nutter, but yeah, so far he doesn't strike me as a particularly dynamic fellow in terms of laying out his path to a more prosperous city.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Nutter tried to passing this too.

http://www.phillymag.com/citified/2015/06/12/soda-tax-philadelphia/

It was stupid then and it's stupid now. No one is going to buy the drinks if they are going to end up paying double the original cost.

Nutter tried to passing this too.

http://www.phillymag.com/citified/2015/06/12/soda-tax-philadelphia/

It was stupid then and it's stupid now. No one is going to buy the drinks if they are going to end up paying double the original cost.

I agree, it was dumb when Nutter proposed it. Kenney took it, then increased the amount on fountain soda, and tried to pass it again after it spectacularly failed the last time. It's a fool me once, fool me twice scenario. It was dumb, but worth a shot the first time. To even attempt it again after seeing how it went the last time was beyond just dumb.

Septa Key could be delayed until June or beyond: PlanPhilly

Once again, SEPTA officials have pushed back the estimated launch date of SEPTA Key, the transportation authority’s new farecard system that will someday replace tokens and tickets on Philadelphia’s buses, trolleys, subways and commuter trains.

In an exclusive interview, SEPTA’s chagrined general manager, Jeff Knueppel, said that a launch decision will be made April 15th, following a meeting with ACS Transport Solutions Group, the Xerox subsidiary overseeing implementation of the new payment technology (NPT). If the payment system gets the green light then, an official SEPTA Key launch would happen about six weeks later, in early June.

And if ACS and SEPTA don’t think the new system is ready after the April 15th meeting? Well, you’ve waited this long, right?

I honestly don't believe it will come close to the revenue he claims it would. It's a futile endeavor imo.

Got word today that my office is closing and I'm being let go in 3 weeks. (Day after my birthday, no less!) Been there for 11 years, straight out of college.

So,...

Anyone know of any architecture firms hiring around here? Haha.

Septa Key could be delayed until June or beyond: PlanPhilly

Why am I not surprised. You know, the biggest mistake was that they wanted the system to be able to serve as a debit card for low income people. I would bet most of the delays are on that aspect of the system. They should have implemented the fare system by itself, then worried about that aspect later.

Got word today that my office is closing and I'm being let go in 3 weeks. (Day after my birthday, no less!) Been there for 11 years, straight out of college.

So,...

Anyone know of any architecture firms hiring around here? Haha.

Sorry to hear that. : (

Kieran Timberlake is hiring.

One of my favorite firms in the city is Canno Design, but I don't know if they are hiring.

The only other name that comes to mind at this point is Harmon Deutsch, I'm not as up on my local architecture firms as I'd like to be, sorry.

I'll buy you a drink for your birthday!

Hey guys. Although I've lived close to Philly for most of my life, I got an offer in Malvern. I'm trying to find a place where I can live comfortably for 59k a year and seem to find places for $1200 a month in West Chester. Will I be fine for that area?

Hey guys. Although I've lived close to Philly for most of my life, I got an offer in Malvern. I'm trying to find a place where I can live comfortably for 59k a year and seem to find places for $1200 a month in West Chester. Will I be fine for that area?

The answer to where you should live is Phoenixville. Trust me. As far as I know it's cheaper than West Chester, and while not as well developed it has a great character. Lots of great bars on the downtown strip, a brewery in town, and a lovely small town feel. You're really close to KoP for good shopping, and just as close to regional rail.

I am a little biased. My parents grew up there and my grandmother lives there.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Thought I'd bring PhillyGAF into the fold. Been involved in music in town for a long time and we've had this monthly event going on since 1996. Here's this month:

CeW2xWzWsAAJD_h.jpg

Come out if you guys can: "Da Truck" is Mobile Venue/ Bar / Speakeasy that I own, I bring it out to different events and it's always DRINKS ON THE HOUSE!

Sorry to hear that. : (

Kieran Timberlake is hiring.

One of my favorite firms in the city is Canno Design, but I don't know if they are hiring.

The only other name that comes to mind at this point is Harmon Deutsch, I'm not as up on my local architecture firms as I'd like to be, sorry.

I'll buy you a drink for your birthday!

Oh cool. Thanks.
I'll look into that Kieran Timberlake listing. Gotta get my resume and portfolio up to speed.
I hadn't heard of Canno Design but their work is very interesting.
:)

JLynn

The answer to where you should live is Phoenixville. Trust me. As far as I know it's cheaper than West Chester, and while not as well developed it has a great character. Lots of great bars on the downtown strip, a brewery in town, and a lovely small town feel. You're really close to KoP for good shopping, and just as close to regional rail.

I am a little biased. My parents grew up there and my grandmother lives there.
I'm going to second Phoenixville, it's still got its rough parts though. It's also very close Valley Forge, miles of open space and hiking and biking trails. Downtown is great, good night life and some good festivals

Also Wayne but I'm biased as we live there and also own an apartment there (we rent it out). It's walk to train though for most parts of the town (Wayne proper, not Chesterbrook or anything like that).

The Llama

Why am I not surprised. You know, the biggest mistake was that they wanted the system to be able to serve as a debit card for low income people. I would bet most of the delays are on that aspect of the system. They should have implemented the fare system by itself, then worried about that aspect later.

I think referring to it as a "debit card for low income people" is unnecessarily harsh tbh. I'm glad they're implementing a fully centralized system, as I think it's the future everywhere. Better they do it now rather than have to upgrade later.

Still sucks that it keeps getting delayed though, as it's just ridiculous at this point.

What am I gonna mix my whiskey with when they make a 2 liter 30 bucks?

Jim Kenney sucks dude

And also, how about Nova? As a Temple Alum I can't root for them, I don't have it in me, but they looked phenomenal last night.
Then the flyers right after, love it.

Jim Kenney sucks dude

And also, how about Nova? As a Temple Alum I can't root for them, I don't have it in me, but they looked phenomenal last night.
It was great to see nova do so well. I am a temple alum as well but I root for Philly over anything. Man that flyers comeback was awesome. I was so worried in the 3rd. I wish the redwings would lose some games though.

I think referring to it as a "debit card for low income people" is unnecessarily harsh tbh. I'm glad they're implementing a fully centralized system, as I think it's the future everywhere. Better they do it now rather than have to upgrade later.

Still sucks that it keeps getting delayed though, as it's just ridiculous at this point.

No, there is literally an additional system to the SEPTA Key cards that functions as a prepaid debit card. They have this concept of a "fare wallet" and a "retail wallet". You can add funds to both. One wallet is used exclusively for paying fares, the other is used as a reloadable debit card that you can use at stores, ATMs, and online. The goal is to provide access to some sort of low fee card for people (usually low income) that can't get a bank account otherwise.

Jim Kenney sucks dude

I am not a Temple alum, but since they are basically in my backyard I always cheer for Temple. My mom actually studied at Nova for a while though. I'm just excited for Philly area teams to do well.

The Llama

No, there is literally an additional system to the SEPTA Key cards that functions as a prepaid debit card. They have this concept of a "fare wallet" and a "retail wallet". You can add funds to both. One wallet is used exclusively for paying fares, the other is used as a reloadable debit card that you can use at stores, ATMs, and online. The goal is to provide access to some sort of low fee card for people (usually low income) that can't get a bank account otherwise.

Oooooh I wasn't aware they were adding that too.

Yeah that's just a waste of SEPTA resources.

ACE 1991

Where is cheap place I can get a bite to eat close to the Kimmel center? Like a ballin' burrito? I have to be there for work tonight.

Jose Pistolas.

Edit:

Laban's review of A Mano

Woo, 3 Bell restaurant in my neighborhood. I'll take it. We ate there again last Friday. Just as good as the first time. It really is a great place. Unlike Laban's experiences I did not notice the noise levels being too high in either of my visits. My biggest gripe is that the state store on Fairmount Ave is not a premium collection store, because their selection sucks and it would be nice to have a better wine selection nearby with such a great BYOB in the area. I don't understand why they put a premium collection store on 31st and Girard in Brewerytown instead of putting it closer to Spring Garden/Fairmount. Spring Garden has one of the highest average household incomes in the entire city, but gets a shit state store.

Aurizen

Jim Kenney sucks dude

Jim Kenny can make up for this if he Legalize weed tax and regulate it (I don't smoke or drink at all) and Bring Google Fiber to Philly.

Aurizen

I don't think he really has the power to do either of those things though lol

Really? I thought the mayor makes a deal with the companies like the other cities have been doing for Google fiber or extend their interest for it to happen. And I thought for marijuana legalization would be the cities decision. is it the Governor's decision?

You might wanna start drinking.

hahah ikr! :(

The Llama

Actually legalizing weed would have to come from the state, I'm pretty sure. Nutter "decriminalized" it, but that's essentially just changing the penalty for getting caught to a fine.

And yeah, he could lobby for Google Fiber, but it'd be up to Google to actually build out the network here and who knows if/when they'd want to do that...

Deku Tree

Comcast will lobby hard against bringing google fiber into their own backyard, the city with a Comcast building. Gotta keep all of us paying obscene prices for slow internet. And then they're gonna want to start hitting us with data caps and overage charges.

Aurizen

Actually legalizing weed would have to come from the state, I'm pretty sure. Nutter "decriminalized" it, but that's essentially just changing the penalty for getting caught to a fine.

And yeah, he could lobby for Google Fiber, but it'd be up to Google to actually build out the network here and who knows if/when they'd want to do that...

yeah that will be quite a while before we see any of those. But I heard Google may possible lease already used fiber in cities so I'm crossing my fingers. Or if someone could get me the email of the CTO of Philly or the head tech executive in Philly I could ask about it.

Comcast will lobby hard against bringing google fiber into their own backyard, the city with a Comcast building. Gotta keep all of us paying obscene prices for slow internet. And then they're gonna want to start hitting us with data caps and overage charges.

Moment that happens I'll be switching to fios.

vypek

I know VZ kind of left Philly but I thought there were remnants of them inside, no? Might ask someone who used to work in that building about it.

And sort of related, I love FiOS.

Aurizen

I know VZ kind of left Philly but I thought there were remnants of them inside, no? Might ask someone who used to work in that building about it.

And sort of related, I love FiOS.

They're still building fiber in Philly. They said they were gonna focus more on the east coast.

Deku Tree

I switched to FIOS in South Philly. It's fantastic. No more internet going out in the middle of a weekday when I work from home... It really felt like Comcast would just turn it off sometimes to save a few bucks because it happened so often. No more wide swings in Internet speed during peak hours. No more worrying that Comcast is gonna bring their data caps policy to Philly. Competition is good. I get a rock solid 50mbps all day every day with FIOS and I love it.

The Llama

Didn't they give up on NJ and failed to meet their requirements in NYC?

At this point I don't even think Verizon's management knows what they're doing with FiOS. IMO it makes sense for them to keep building it out in the areas they are already strong in (particularly the northeast), but they seem unwilling to actually invest capital in it, despite tons of reasons to. Just a weird situation. I can only guess that they're not happy with subscriber numbers or they're worried long term that too many people will drop cable and it won't have been worth the investment.

I switched to FIOS in South Philly. It's fantastic. No more internet going out in the middle of a weekday when I work from home... It really felt like Comcast would just turn it off sometimes to save a few bucks because it happened so often. No more wide swings in Internet speed during peak hours. No more worrying that Comcast is gonna bring their data caps policy to Philly. Competition is good. I get a rock solid 50mbps all day every day with FIOS and I love it.

Same, I picked up FiOS when I moved to my new place and I love it. Rock solid and consistent connection.

I have comcast and I think it's fantastic. I've had maybe three service outages in the last five years, none of them longer than a few hours. I also get 100mbps down.

If your service keeps going out, have you had them test your lines? Once that happened at my old apartment and they found out it was the interior line was bad and replaced it for me. When I got to my new place they found the cables in the area were overwhelmed because of all of the construction and upgraded them within two weeks. I think a lot of the problem is that people never actually call and ask for service when they have problems.

Deku Tree

Never called Comcast? I did that like every day for a whole summer. That summer they changed my bill like 10 times, half of those times without my permission. The other half they added charges that they didn't disclose to me and forced me to Call them back and get angry with them. That was the summer before I switched to FIOS.

The same COAX lines in my house work flawlessly with my FIOS setup, so it wasn't my lines. And yes they had been tested.

Chester-County GAF reporting here...yeah, West Chester is great. Definitely recommend it if you can afford it. But echoing other posters on this page, Phoenixville is up and coming at the moment, a bit cheaper than West Chester. Or if you can stomach an extra 20ish minutes extra on your commute, Kennett Square is coming into its own right now.

Oooooh I wasn't aware they were adding that too.

Yeah that's just a waste of SEPTA resources.

It's SEPTA the king of making things harder than it needs to be. Have you seen their stations from 52nd and market to 63rd?.
I was under the impression you would swipe and call it a day but it seems they want to go the extra mile.

And that bar sounds like a good idea, I have a birthday coming up on the 16th of April I might check it out.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/5501031906.html

You can find something in WC for $1200, but getting a two bedroom with a roommate or stretching your budget would really pay off. There are some nice digs in the $1500 - $2K range. I'm biased toward WC since that's were I live (also, I work in Malvern as well). Phoenixville really is nice, but I haven't heard much about it's redevelopment for a few years. I'd look into whether or not it's already peaked.

I'd get this one with a roommate. A bedroom for each of you, and a third bedroom for an office:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/5487292140.html

Either way, check out "The Flying Pig" in Malvern sometime. Great beer selection and a step up from bar food.

Top Bottom