• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Well this is terrifying - 24 year old stabbed to death at Rittenhouse Square by someone he didn't know in a NJ Devils cap, who asked if he was a Flyers fan, stabbed him and then ran.

http://6abc.com/news/man-stabbed-to-death-in-random-attack-on-rittenhouse-sq/1243710/

What is with the stabbings lately?

Seemingly random stabbings too. Shit is crazy. Bad news comes in clusters I guess, but it's unsettling.

It's been what? Ten murders in the past week? We were on track for a lowered homicide rate over last year until this past week hit.

esms

I blame the weather and Erin Express. My girlfriend saw a dude get stabbed outside a bar on her way to work last night.

I blame the weather and Erin Express. My girlfriend saw a dude get stabbed outside a bar on her way to work last night.

Eh, the Erin Express crowds are usually the stab victims from my experience, so I can't fault them too much. I want to get upset at the Erin Express sometimes but I am not going to pretend I didn't drink when I was a kid either.

my job is located in the middle of everything. so many food places. I gotta be careful to avoid spending too much

also train commute from jersey sucks i need to figure a way to move asap

esms

Eh, the Erin Express crowds are usually the stab victims from my experience, so I can't fault them too much. I want to get upset at the Erin Express sometimes but I am not going to pretend I didn't drink when I was a kid either.

It's a good point. I went almost every year in college and I'm only a year out.

Til next year, I guess.

Some enterprising redditors from Boston (yuck!) made some website that traces events in Boston, but then they decided to make a Philly version, and I have to say it's quite nice. It's especially nice because uwishunu turned into total shit.

http://www.thephillycalendar.com/

They have pretty good coverage of events, I have to hand it to them.

ACE 1991

How about them Fly Guys!?!

I'm not really a hockey guy but I'm desperate for a relevant sports team in this town right now. It's been really rough.

I'm not really a hockey guy but I'm desperate for a relevant sports team in this town right now. It's been really rough.

I found a stream on reddit yesterday so I actually got to watch the game. First game this year I got to see. Man it was awesome. Hopefully they can keep it up.

They have been on fire. Really exciting to watch them the past few weeks. Hockey is probably my third favorite sport after NFL and MLB, but I still love it. If you've never been into the NHL do yourself a favor and watch playoff hockey. It's the most exciting playoff sport by far.

MJPIA

Welp
Quoting from the NE storm thread.
650x366_03171850_hd27-1.jpg
Weather the past two months has been crazy.
Anything between blizzards to 70 degree weather.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
They have been on fire. Really exciting to watch them the past few weeks. Hockey is probably my third favorite sport after NFL and MLB, but I still love it. If you've never been into the NHL do yourself a favor and watch playoff hockey. It's the most exciting playoff sport by far.

Still waiting for them to fall back to Earth. I've seen this story wth the Flyers before.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Playoff Hockey is the best of all the sports we have in Philly. Could have had a cup if we had some stable goaltending a few years back. Even if this year fizzles, The Ghost Gang has a very bright future.

...now about them sixers?

MJPIA

1-3 for this area is effectively zero. Nobody panic.
Oh I know but after these past two months and 60 and 70 degree weather I don't feel like anymore snow until the end of the year.
Even if it melts in a day.

Well at least it'll happen after we finished replacing our well pump.

ACE 1991

Playoff Hockey is the best of all the sports we have in Philly. Could have had a cup if we had some stable goaltending a few years back. Even if this year fizzles, The Ghost Gang has a very bright future.

...now about them sixers?

I've gone to a few games this year, it's still pretty rough. I miss relevant Philadelphia basketball so much. This offseason REALLY is make-or-break for Hinkie's experiment. If the Sixers manage to get first overall and Embiid turns out to be a real player next year, Tankadelphia could really pay off; we'd have some serious trade value with our surplus of big men, and I expect Ofakor in particular could get some great return. Those are both enormous ifs, of course.

I've gone to a few games this year, it's still pretty rough. I miss relevant Philadelphia basketball so much. This offseason REALLY is make-or-break for Hinkie's experiment. If the Sixers manage to get first overall and Embiid turns out to be a real player next year, Tankadelphia could really pay off; we'd have some serious trade value with our surplus of big men, and I expect Ofakor in particular could get some great return. Those are both enormous ifs, of course.

Biggest thing to me is whether or not LA gets a top 3 pick. If they get 4th or 5th, the Sixers get it. Two top ten picks would be incredible. They are extremely likely to get the Heat's pick (top 10 protected) and the Thunder's pick (top 15 protected) given that they are the 5th and 9th ranked teams. That means if they get the LA pick this year they'll have four first round picks. Three or four first round picks is huge. Then there's the fact that they have so much money to throw around due to cap space. If they can get two top 5 picks, and two more middle first round picks, and then get one or two big name free agents I think the plan will be a huge success.

I wholeheartedly agree. The future of Philly sports looks brighter and brighter everyday. The firing of Chip Kelly really was the start of a slow climb back to sports heaven. Lots of prospects in each sport to look forward to.

And because hockey is going to get a bump in popularity with playoffs, let me again extend an invite to anyone on the board that plays hockey to reach out if they need a place to play, just shoot me a pm.

ACE 1991

Biggest thing to me is whether or not LA gets a top 3 pick. If they get 4th or 5th, the Sixers get it. Two top ten picks would be incredible. They are extremely likely to get the Heat's pick (top 10 protected) and the Thunder's pick (top 15 protected) given that they are the 5th and 9th ranked teams. That means if they get the LA pick this year they'll have four first round picks. Three or four first round picks is huge. Then there's the fact that they have so much money to throw around due to cap space. If they can get two top 5 picks, and two more middle first round picks, and then get one or two big name free agents I think the plan will be a huge success.

I agree. I wish it was perhaps a different year though, the dropoff in player quality is pretty steep after Simmons and Ingram. I mean the NBA is always like this, but it seems more pronounced this year.

I almost caught a t-shirt last night at the sixers-wizards game shot by the t-shirt chain gun. It deflected off my hand and into a family. You are welcome family who has my t-shirt.

The funny thing is the most enjoyable part about the Sixers games now is that group of people who do the aerobatic dunks after the second quarter.

I wholeheartedly agree. The future of Philly sports looks brighter and brighter everyday. The firing of Chip Kelly really was the start of a slow climb back to sports heaven. Lots of prospects in each sport to look forward to.

And because hockey is going to get a bump in popularity with playoffs, let me again extend an invite to anyone on the board that plays hockey to reach out if they need a place to play, just shoot me a pm.

Years from now people are going to be pinning for the Chip Kelly years. People dont like going 10-6 and missing the playoffs wait until the see what this team does under Dougie.

ACE 1991

Years from now people are going to be pinning for the Chip Kelly years. People dont like going 10-6 and missing the playoffs wait until the see what this team does under Dougie.

Chip Kelly gutted the Eagles and made horrible game time decisions. No one is going to be pining for Chip Kelly even if the Pederson erea is a bust. Uptempo offense was fun for a while, but coaches figured him out.

Chip Kelly gutted the Eagles and made horrible game time decisions. No one is going to be pining for Chip Kelly even if the Pederson erea is a bust.

I have no idea how someone guts a 4-12 team but okay. I do wish Chip had dumped McCoy and Djax his first offseason before they ever played for him but oh well.

I have no idea how someone guts a 4-12 team but okay. I do wish Chip had dumped McCoy and Djax his first offseason before they ever played for him but oh well.

That's silly. Cutting DJax was a mistake. The Shady trade was fine, but then he blew it with the Murray signing. Dumping Mathis was stupid as shit. Not cutting the racist was stupid as shit. Trading away that second round pick for Bradford was stupid as shit too.

That's silly. Cutting DJax was a mistake. The Shady trade was fine, but then he blew it with the Murray signing. Dumping Mathis was stupid as shit. Not cutting the racist was stupid as shit. Trading away that second round pick for Bradford was stupid as shit too.

They would have taken like a $5m cap hit just to cut Cooper. No team would do that. Vick met with the team privately and told Chip that everything was fine. I really dont see how cutting DJax was a mistake. He had 1 catch for 14 yards in the playoff game and in a post game interview talked about being unhappy with the contract he signed just the year before. Plus Chips whole thing is getting guys to buy in, which DJax never was going to do. Dumping Mathis was the move that hurt the team the worst but he is old and not very good anymore and 2 years in a row there were reports about him being unhappy with his contract. They thought that Gardner could do close to what he did without the complaining. Gardner getting hurt week one obviously blew that up but no one could have predicted that.

Stop arguing about the Eagles and start arguing about something more contraversal, who is the best local news personality? Go!

Ukee Washington

Jim Gardner not even up for discussion.

They would have taken like a $5m cap hit just to cut Cooper. No team would do that. Vick met with the team privately and told Chip that everything was fine. I really dont see how cutting DJax was a mistake. He had 1 catch for 14 yards in the playoff game and in a post game interview talked about being unhappy with the contract he signed just the year before. Plus Chips whole thing is getting guys to buy in, which DJax never was going to do. Dumping Mathis was the move that hurt the team the worst but he is old and not very good anymore and 2 years in a row there were reports about him being unhappy with his contract. They thought that Gardner could do close to what he did without the complaining. Gardner getting hurt week one obviously blew that up but no one could have predicted that.

We must have hashed this out a dozen times in the NFL thread by now haha

Jim Gardner not even up for discussion.

We must have hashed this out a dozen times in the NFL thread by now haha

I was thinking the same thing. I will never not make the case for Chip. I have followed the Eagles religiously since 1980 and he is by far the best coach they have ever had. Sucks it didnt work out but it never does for the Eagles so I shouldnt be surprised.

No, she has been outclassed by Meisha Johnson.

If we're going for women I'm a big Denise Nakano fan. My fever is showing.

He is my second favorite behind Ukee. I like Ukee's personality better. Jim Gardner is reliable and tells it like it is, but Ukee is a lot more jovial and funny.

I hear what you are saying, but Gardner is just such a comforting presence now. There's also the fact that I have to watch Action News for the theme.

I was thinking the same thing. I will never not make the case for Chip. I have followed the Eagles religiously since 1980 and he is by far the best coach they have ever had. Sucks it didnt work out but it never does for the Eagles so I shouldnt be surprised.

I liked Chip the coach, aside from a handful of his habits (like hurry up offense with the lead, or not slowing things down after a long hard defensive series and giving them a rest, or if you are on 3rd and long not taking a lot of time before the snap). Chip the GM was just pretty bad in my opinion.

If we're going for women I'm a big Denise Nakano fan. My fever is showing.

I hear what you are saying, but Gardner is just such a comforting presence now. There's also the fact that I have to watch Action News for the theme.

I liked Chip the coach, aside from a handful of his habits (like hurry up offense with the lead, or not slowing things down after a long hard defensive series and giving them a rest, or if you are on 3rd and long not taking a lot of time before the snap). Chip the GM was just pretty bad in my opinion.

I can see why people were down on Chip the GM, but it is so hard to judge moves off one season, and especially if it is true that Lurie basically gave him power with the condition to fix things quick. I really would have loved to see Chip come back with the QB in place and spend an offseason working on the OL. Especially with a new DC in place. Man Billy Davis was by far the worst move that he made.

There's also the fact that I have to watch Action News for the theme.
That theme song should be Philly's official theme song. Instead of playing the Rocky theme, Philadelphia Freedom, etc. it should be that. Imagine kick-offs during Eagles games with that song playing. Just imagine it.

"Move closer to your world my friend, take a little bit of time. Move closer to your world my friend, and you’ll see…"

vypek

Sheena Parveen and Alex Holley for local news personalities. There was also someone on Fox @ 6 that I can't remember

I always find the Fox News production really weird so I never watch them. I feel like they get rejects from other stations like John Bolaris. If I was going to rank them overall:

6 > 3 > 10 > 29

Also does anyone here actually like Hurricane Schwartz? I never know why he is popular.

vypek

I actually like the laid back nature of Fox. Well, at least for the more light hearted stuff that is typically on in the morning. I only ever really watch Good Day Philadelphia on Fox so their weird stuff is fine with me.

I don't know a single personality on CBS. I can't remember the last time I watched them. Maybe during a sweeps week story?

Really ambivalent to Hurricane Schwartz. I guess he is popular because of his accuracy? Is he still super precise?

The Llama

ABC, NBC, and Fox are all relatively equally good to me. I'm not a CBS fan for whatever reason though, their news broadcasts just give me a weird vibe, i dunno how to describe it.

at work I get to email and meet local journalists sometimes, it's p cool

Aurizen

It would be nice If this snow made class canceled Tuesday. lol I doubt it but ugh. & week accelerated server course is kicking my ass lol.

Top Bottom