• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Pepiope

I have comcast and I think it's fantastic. I've had maybe three service outages in the last five years, none of them longer than a few hours. I also get 100mbps down.

If your service keeps going out, have you had them test your lines? Once that happened at my old apartment and they found out it was the interior line was bad and replaced it for me. When I got to my new place they found the cables in the area were overwhelmed because of all of the construction and upgraded them within two weeks. I think a lot of the problem is that people never actually call and ask for service when they have problems.
You're just lucky. I went with Comcast rather than Fios, and that lasted about 2 weeks. Had a couple boxes where the audio would dip out and I'd have to reset the box, constant internet outages, it was just horrible. It amazes me how shitty their service is here in Philly.

Deku Tree

I think Comcast has different aged infrastructure in different parts of the city. Where I live now in the house that I own their infrastructure is probably old and poor. But when I first moved to the city I lived in a new apartment building and at that place I never had internet outages.

Aurizen

I get outages too from comcast. Usually at night! and the DC light is blinking yellow then after an hour, it goes back to normal.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Hey guys. Although I've lived close to Philly for most of my life, I got an offer in Malvern. I'm trying to find a place where I can live comfortably for 59k a year and seem to find places for $1200 a month in West Chester. Will I be fine for that area?

Are you opposed to living in Center City? For 1200 you can live pretty comfy if you're single. 1500 with a roommate and you can live like a king on 60K.

The Llama

I've never really had outage problems with Comcast, but I got sick of their speeds slowing down at peak hours because the node (or whatever it's called) would be overloaded. Don't have to worry about that with FiOS.

Deku Tree

Septa bus driver just stopped in the middle of his route and told everyone on the bus to GTFO. I'm halfway home. Lol. Guess I'll walk the rest of the way. I'd have to use another token if I wanted to wait for the next bus the rest of the way. Only in Philly.

Septa bus driver just stopped in the middle of his route and told everyone on the bus to GTFO. I'm halfway home. Lol. Guess I'll walk the rest of the way. I'd have to use another token if I wanted to wait for the next bus the rest of the way. Only in Philly.

WTF? What reason did he give? SEPTA workers are the worst. "I can't make change." Why do they even bother to have people manning the booths on the subway?

vypek

How do you report that?

Others have got you covered but I'll also add this: if you don't have the bus ID number/driver name then you should let them know the bus route number and schedule. Get as accurate as you can. I think SEPTA should have a record of what scheduled routes have which drivers

I've had to make more than one call about buses when I was commuting to West Chester

Jimmy G's Steaks at about Broad and Fairmount has my endorsement, for what that's worth.

Given how close it is to my house and the dangerous things it's done to my cholesterol... I guess that's a type of endorsement. They were better when they first opened though. They've changed a lot of stuff. They used to use only fresh sliced rib eye and they didn't chop their steaks. They've since switched to frozen rib eye and started chopping their steaks. I prefer unchopped. They are still good, and they are open until 3:00am on weekends so I am invariably there late nights on Fridays/Saturdays.

So, two big items I found out today!

Septa is doing an early adopter program for Septa Key. [Link]

Septa is also creating a new bus line that will create a route from Fairmount to University City, which I am sure is going to be an insanely popular line.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Jimmy G's Steaks at about Broad and Fairmount has my endorsement, for what that's worth.

It's some pretty good eats between Fairmount and Girard ave on Broad St. I used to live on 20th and Girard many moons ago (can't afford it now) and all that used to be hood, like hood hood. Now its so much better with so many nice little spots to grab a bite. Color me impressed.

psylah

No really guys stop talking about food and let me tell you about the massive pile of human feces I had to dodge while walking underground by city hall.

It looked like someone dropped a can of refried beans.

Aurizen

Given how close it is to my house and the dangerous things it's done to my cholesterol... I guess that's a type of endorsement. They were better when they first opened though. They've changed a lot of stuff. They used to use only fresh sliced rib eye and they didn't chop their steaks. They've since switched to frozen rib eye and started chopping their steaks. I prefer unchopped. They are still good, and they are open until 3:00am on weekends so I am invariably there late nights on Fridays/Saturdays.

Septa is also creating a new bus line that will create a route from Fairmount to University City, which I am sure is going to be an insanely popular line.
I guess this isn't the personalised one.

arab

No really guys stop talking about food and let me tell you about the massive pile of human feces I had to dodge while walking underground by city hall.

It looked like someone dropped a can of refried beans.

the walnut-locust station smelled like a used diaper this morning

andthebeatgoeson

What's the chicken and donuts place called? Federal? Isn't there another one that's recommended?

I'm coming in June for my 20th high school reunion. Going to hit it up on a Friday.

Blunoise

Hey guys so I am considering moving to your city next year against Seattle right now. I was wondering where is the best artsy, hipster type diverse neighborhoods that are fun to live in? I was looking at fishtown, northern liberties, and south st.

Hey guys so I am considering moving to your city next year against Seattle right now. I was wondering where is the best artsy, hipster type diverse neighborhoods that are fun to live in? I was looking at fishtown, northern liberties, and south st.

Fishtown is nice
NoLibs you'll like
South Street is overrated
Old City is awesome
Art Museum area/Francisville is what you want. In before Walrus talking it up

Also Seattle can kiss my ass

esms

No libs would be your best bet based on what you want.

gcubed

too bad the 101 trolley takes way too long from where I am to get in to the city. Plus... hey, i watched a guy get shot around 56th st stop taking the El late to 69th st. That was fun, but a long time ago. It only kept me off of that line for a day, but it was... interesting to say the least.

I'm stuck on a RR now, oh well

Deku Tree

Fishtown is nice
NoLibs you'll like
Old City is awesome

Your right, almost all the locals that I talk to hate south street. But the neighborhoods surrounding South street are usually really nice IMHO.

Your right, almost all the locals that I talk to hate south street. But the neighborhoods surrounding South street are usually really nice IMHO.

South Street has a few good things.

Farmer's Market
That CeX (sometimes)
Ishkabibble's 1 & 2
TLA
Some really good Mexican taqueria which I can't remember
Another good pizza spot

Beyond that..fight me

gcubed

Farmer's Market
That CeX (sometimes)
Ishkabibble's 1 & 2
TLA
Another good pizza spot

Beyond that..fight me

you are even pushing it to include all of that.

From the posters request, definitely nolibs / fishtown

Stay far away from AWF

Deku Tree

Farmer's Market
That CeX (sometimes)
Ishkabibble's 1 & 2
TLA
Another good pizza spot

Beyond that..fight me

I already gave you that argument. I am not a fan of "south street" as a location.

But the South Street area's on both the east and the west sides of center city (above and below south street) are some of the nicest areas of the city IMHO. They have a lot going on. Don't have time for a long post.

IMHO, my favorite "artsy, hipster type diverse neighborhood" in the city is the area above and below south street on the east side, traditionally called Bella vista and a little bit lower down it's called Passyunk Square.

Ralemont

not me

Farmer's Market
That CeX (sometimes)
Ishkabibble's 1 & 2
TLA
Another good pizza spot

Beyond that..fight me

Miles Table is my favorite lunch spot in the city. Besides that Ramen place on ~12th and Chestnut.

Jim's Steaks too.

Trash place

But the South Street area's on both the east and the west sides of center city (above and below south street) are some of the nicest areas of the city IMHO. They have a lot going on. Don't have time for a long post.

They ok.

Miles Table is my favorite lunch spot in the city. Besides that Ramen place on ~12th and Chestnut.

Never had either.

Lorenzo's is the only good thing about South Street.

That's the one with the big ass slices right, if so yes

Fishtown is nice
NoLibs you'll like
Old City is awesome

For artsy types I am going to recommend in this order:
Fishtown
Bella Vista
Northern Liberties
Callowhill/Eraserhood
Old City
University City

Notes: As much as I love Art Museum/Francisville it's just not the best neighborhood for the arts culture. It's a lot of young professionals and DINKs. It's more of an office oriented crowd than an art crowd. It's one of my gripes with the neighborhood actually, in some regards.

Fishtown is where you can get huge spaces at ridiculously low prices. You can rent art studio space here cheaply. Lots of artists live in this area.

I'm recommending Bella Vista over Northern Liberies mostly because No Libs is getting really crowded and expensive compared to Bella Vista, but it's not necessarily a more arts oriented area.

Callowhill/Eraserhood is the area David Lynch lived in when he was studying film, and it inspired Eraserhead. There is actually a good arts crowd and lots of arts organizations in that area, but it LOOKS like a rough neighborhood. It's actually got pretty low crime and such, but it looks dirty and industrial.

Old city is great, and probably the most established art oriented area in the city. The first Friday of every month they have the "First Friday" event and all of the numerous art galleries in that neighborhood hold their openings on that day. It's also got really great boutique shopping. It's actually a really fun monthly event to go to. That said, the area is pricey so artists tend not to live there, rather they just show works there and maybe have studio space. This is probably the safest of the neighborhoods on this short list.

University City is where Penn and Drexel's campuses are. Where students are you can find arts related stuff. It's a pretty nice area but you also have the problem of being surrounded by college kids, and since I'm an old that gets less appealing on a yearly basis.

Final note: You mentioned a budget of $1300 a month for a 1BR or Studio. With that sort of budget you can essentially afford ANY neighborhood in the city. Take a look at craigslist, or hotpads and you'll see you can find 1BR or Studios on Rittenhouse Square in that price range.

Also, I know this is probably unrealistic, but you may want to consider a trip up here for PIFA next month. As an artist you'll probably really enjoy it.

Also also, check out this blog: Streets Dept.

Farmer's Market
That CeX (sometimes)
Ishkabibble's 1 & 2
TLA
Another good pizza spot

Beyond that..fight me

Serpico is good. Very good food.
Lorenzo's is good for a late night slice.
Tattooed Mom's is great
Isaiah Zagar's Magic Gardens is great

South Street does indeed sort of suck though. It's mostly the crowds of drunk college kids and New Jersey bros going to the lame bars around there. There are some really good spots but they can get ruined by the crowd. I used to really like Fluid night club though. Such a cool space.

Top Bottom