• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Isn't philly a plurality black city, not majority, since it's under 50%? Or am I completely misunderstanding the usage of plurality?

Majority doesn't necessarily mean over 50% of something, it just means the largest portion, it's all contextual. It's all sort of semantics. One common measure in the US is majority-minority, in which less than 50% of the population is white. Philadelphia is a majority-minority city with the majority of the majority being black. It's just easier to acknowledge that the single largest racial/ethnic group in Philly is black and call it a majority black city.

Another example would be congress. If a party has the most seats, but not 50% (supposing a third party or independents) they would still get the "majority leader" positions.

In fairness, the census bureau does indeed use "plurality" for situations like this. I think it overcomplicates things. This is entirely opinion based to me.

Edit: Researching this, apparently plurality is the appropriate word to use when the objects you are referring to are "countable" such as poulations. TIL.

Blunoise

Had one yesterday.

Chipotle on notice

It actually isn't. Philly is only 43% Black, 41% white, with the rest being latino/other. basically 50/50 between the two largest, but blacks are a minority if we're talking in comparison to every other group combined. It doesn't SEEM that way a lot of the time though because a lot of the white population has segregated itself into the "great" northeast.

Atlanta in comparison is 54% Black, 33% white, with the rest as latino/other. no idea if its as heavily segregated (philly is one of the worst in the country about this) but I doubt it.

as for interracial dating- extremely common, no one cares.

To answer your questing Atlanta is pretty segregated but also very integrated amongst a certain amount of group of people, since it's almost a 50/50 with blacks and whites but it's still the south.

And I'm getting tired of the south. So I'm really debating to move back up North or try the west side of the country :/ I'm so indecisive right now

Edit: how safe is the city. I'm looking into fishtown and northern liberties

To answer your questing Atlanta is pretty segregated but also very integrated amongst a certain amount of group of people, since it's almost a 50/50 with blacks and whites but it's still the south.

And I'm getting tired of the south. So I'm really debating to move back up North or try the west side of the country :/ I'm so indecisive right now

Edit: how safe is the city. I'm looking into fishtown and northern liberties

They are pretty safe. It's still a city so you need to keep your wits but they are neighborhoods safe to walk generally. I'd also recommend Bella Vista/East Passyunk. When I am not drink I'll link you a map that ranks neighborhoods

Deku Tree

What's Philly gonna be like during the DNC on July 25-28 2016?

I gotta take two flights one arriving in Philly on July 28, the other leaving Philly on July 29 OMG. Wonder what I should do....

They are pretty safe. It's still a city so you need to keep your wits but they are neighborhoods safe to walk generally. I'd also recommend Bella Vista/East Passyunk. When I am not drink I'll link you a map that ranks neighborhoods

I... have no memory of making this post.

What's Philly gonna be like during the DNC on July 25-28 2016?

I gotta take two flights one arriving in Philly on July 28, the other leaving Philly on July 29 OMG. Wonder what I should do....

You're screwed. I think the city will be fun that week, but I wouldn't want to be travelling.

Accepted a job offer in Center City. Finally.

Hooray. No more suburbs for you?

I despised living in Philly but I love coming down since I live in the suburbs now. I pop in, do whatever, then bounce

Except drink, since you have to drive. Or you can take the train, but then you have to leave by like 10:00. Sucks. Also, you spend a half hour or more driving in. I spend less than that on my total commute times for the night, including walking! Urban living da best.

Except drink, since you have to drive. Or you can take the train, but then you have to leave by like 10:00. Sucks. Also, you spend a half hour or more driving in. I spend less than that on my total commute times for the night, including walking! Urban living da best.

I DON'T DRINK EVERRRRRR

I thought I loved walking everywhere, but it severely limited where I would go. Now I just go wherever in Philly and don't care.

andthebeatgoeson

What's wrong with Uber? Drink as much as you want to, then get someone to pick you up. Extra points if you are brown, like me. Hard for them to drive past you.

esms

I've never had that problem before and I work in 20th and Market.

The balls on the people shitting in the street, though, whew.

Mashable: The Cult of Wawa

Good write up about Wawa and why we all love it.

I actually can think back and remember tons of good memories involving Wawa. Whenever my dad would take us to work with him when we were kids we always looked forward to going to Wawa. He'd take us to Wawa and we'd get chocolate milk and butterscotch krimpet tastykakes. I can remember winning my wife's (then girlfriend) heart in part by bringing her Wawa sandwiches when she was super stressed and upset during finals. I remember all of the drunken late night Wawa runs, how Wawa sustained me during college when all I had were like 15 minutes of time to eat between getting out of class and driving to Best Buy for work.

Aurizen

What's your degree in. We need people were I work.

Computer information systems. It's IT pretty much. its an associates

Oh my god be careful, I worked at the City for years

You've got a team of like 20 and you have to support 10k users

Really? I really wanted to work there since its close to me and I can get my feet in the door. I know someone who works there I'll have to wait when they have a spot open. He says it isn't too bad.

Tech scene in Philly isn't as good as elsewhere, but hot damn there are a ton of jobs in the field. It's constant harassment from recruiters, and if I meet another person in tech it feels like they all say they need more workers.

Tech scene in Philly isn't as good as elsewhere, but hot damn there are a ton of jobs in the field. It's constant harassment from recruiters, and if I meet another person in tech it feels like they all say they need more workers.

I know I'll never be concerned about a job in IT in Philly, that's for sure

You know I don't know much about IT jobs because I am a software dev. I do know that technically philly has a job board that's locally focused though. I only really track software development jobs though.

Deku Tree

My condo got a $50 fine for having trash (which wasn't ours) in the sidewalk.

lol appealing the crap out of that

I know that's the law but people near me put their garbage out way too early (days early if they go away) etc. or leave its out if they don't realize their was a holiday that week and collection got pushed back. Sometimes they'll leave it out until next week, and it's disgusting. And the cops never do anything. And I love in a good nghbd.

Top Bottom