• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Guys I want no part of the DNC being in Philly. The FBI is saying there is elevated status that candidates will be targeted during the conventions. We're seeing insane levels of violence directed toward police in other areas. There's gonna be road closures all over the Navy Yard which is a huge economic driver for the city. There's gonna be massive protests shutting down traffic in the city. It's gonna be a shit show.

Guys I want no part of the DNC being in Philly. The FBI is saying there is elevated status that candidates will be targeted during the conventions. We're seeing insane levels of violence directed toward police in other areas. There's gonna be road closures all over the Navy Yard which is a huge economic driver for the city. There's gonna be massive protests shutting down traffic in the city. It's gonna be a shit show.

Yeah, not looking forward to this at all thank god I don't work in town.

Do you drive?

The Llama

We were hoping they'd close city government during those days (like they did during the Papal visit) but apparently that won't happen. Already been one protest outside my building. Not really looking forward to any more...

Deku Tree

Aside from the BLM protests and the recent violence towards police, the rest of that sounds like a standard national convention stuff that happens. I'm flying into Philly on the 28th with my wife and kids. I just hope my plane can land on time and we can get a taxi can drive us home quickly.

Aside from the BLM protests and the recent violence towards police, the rest of that sounds like a standard national convention stuff that happens. I'm flying into Philly on the 28th with my wife and kids. I just hope my plane can land on time and we can get a taxi can drive us home quickly.

Oh so you didn't hear about the airport unions planning on striking for the DNC then?

Deku Tree

Yeah, it's most likely just a threat. But mostly it just means you'll be waiting in the airport forever to get your bags and whatnot.

Well if that happens I might have to wait for my bags by myself and let the wife and kids take a cab by themselves.

How are they gonna get people's bags onto the planes?

All those politicians employees are used to living out of a "carry on" anyway.

The Llama

Striking DURING the DNC would be useless tbh, it's immediately before and after when people will be traveling.

Also it's not actually a union that wants to strike, it's the nonunion airline employees who apparently have been get fired when they've tried to unionize before.

Well if that happens I might have to wait for my bags by myself and let the wife and kids take a cab by themselves.

How are they gonna get people's bags onto the planes?

All those politicians employees are used to living out of a "carry on" anyway.

Being used to living out of a carry on does nothing if your flight into/out of town gets delayed because they can't load planes in a timely manner. We'll see, hopefully that strike doesn't happen. Just seems like a hundred things are going wrong and we're going to end up with a confluence of annoyance.

esms

Re: the DNC, I'm glad I walk to work. Worried about my girlfriend who works nightshift and relies on public transit though.

Hopefully there's no violence or destruction of property.

gcubed

its going to be a lot of nothing. There will be protests, but thats been happening lately anyway. You'll see some more traffic and some trouble getting into restaurants downtown when all the richie richs come in town, but other than that... getting worried over nothing

StevieWhite

its going to be a lot of nothing. There will be protests, but thats been happening lately anyway. You'll see some more traffic and some trouble getting into restaurants downtown when all the richie richs come in town, but other than that... getting worried over nothing

Likely result.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
If the Papal visit has taught me anything...wait, it hasn't. My office is on Independence Mall, I expect most people to work from home that day, I'll still come in since I hate working from home. Should be ok.

Aurizen

Guys from Philly I'm seeing news posting online that there's military intelligence that could be something serious going down down Love Park. I take it with a grain of Salt but be careful and all avoid Center City.

Guys from Philly I'm seeing news posting online that there's military intelligence that could be something serious going down down Love Park. I take it with a grain of Salt but be careful and all avoid Center City.

Oh for fuck's sake, the Pokemon Go thing my friend is organizing is tomorrow!

And Love Park is fucking closed! Being renovated!

The Open Streets event is such a disappointment.

Take what you can get!

Aurizen

Oh for fuck's sake, the Pokemon Go thing my friend is organizing is tomorrow!

And Love Park is fucking closed! Being renovated!

Take what you can get!

I thought the pokemon go thing is Sunday.

fb17f45daff7a477c009877869ce967d.png

Deku Tree

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...to_have_it_stolen_at_30th_Street_Station.html

Philly college student rode bike cross-country, only to have it stolen at 30th Street Station

Mulholland, 21, had locked up the gray 1984 Fuji Touring Series IV at a bike rack on the Schuylkill River side of the station on Sunday, and took a train to Media, Delaware County, to visit his parents overnight.

Sad story but anyone who bikes in Philly or NYC should know that leaving a bike outside over night, even if it's locked up with the most expensive and protective lock on earth, and even if it's a cheappy bike, especially near the 30th street station you are just asking for it to get stolen that way.

Considering Love Park is closed for repairs and construction I'd definitely take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...to_have_it_stolen_at_30th_Street_Station.html

Sad story but anyone who bikes in Philly or NYC should know that leaving a bike outside over night, even if it's locked up with the most expensive and protective lock on earth, and even if it's a cheappy bike, especially near the 30th street station you are just asking for it to get stolen that way.

The thing that killed me about this story is they act like the dude just finished the bike ride or was passing through Philly and got his bike stolen. He's been done with the bike ride for like six months and riding his bike to commute every day. IT's not like he was in the city for a day and his bike got stolen or something. Bikes get stolen every damn day, this wasn't newsworthy in any way.

Deku Tree

Considering Love Park is closed for repairs and construction I'd definitely take it with a grain of salt.

The thing that killed me about this story is they act like the dude just finished the bike ride or was passing through Philly and got his bike stolen. He's been done with the bike ride for like six months and riding his bike to commute every day. IT's not like he was in the city for a day and his bike got stolen or something. Bikes get stolen every damn day, this wasn't newsworthy in any way.

We are number 1!

Bike Theft: The Top Ten Cities

http://thebestbikelock.com/statistics/bike-theft-the-10-worst-places/

I bike to and from work daily. My bike stays inside all the time otherwise. No need to drag a lock back and forth that way.

Visiting Philly next week with my girlfriend. Probably getting a hotel as well to do whatever in the city all day and night and have a damn good night :).

It's sad but I'm actually contemplating going to the Pokemon Go meetup like a really tiny little bit. Instead I'll probably just get drunk somewhere.

My friend is organizing it and it turns out she needs a permit to actually do an event that large, so it's not going to be a big thing like you expect

Also PS let's go back to Skygarten when it isn't shit and rainy, they promised me beer

My friend is organizing it and it turns out she needs a permit to actually do an event that large, so it's not going to be a big thing like you expect

Also PS let's go back to Skygarten when it isn't shit and rainy, they promised me beer

Come out to the Dolphin tomorrow night for good electronic music instead.

My friend loves that place but I'm eh on it. Same with most clubs

Barbary sucks. No two ways about it. Was cool ten years ago. Tomorrow at the Dolphin is Dave P who is one of the best electronic DJs in the city. I try to go to most of his shows and the Broadzilla DJs shows. As a 30 something I may be too old for this, especially when it means an illegal warehouse party at 3 am on a Saturday but it's super fun.

The Llama

It's actually legal in Philly if you have a permit (Philly is the only place in the state that you need one), but yeah, I'm glad we at least have some kind of regulation on it.

For the first time all year this years homicide count has been lower than last years year to date count. Wonder if we'll end the year lower than last year. I wonder how many years it will be before we're sub-200 homicides for the year.

ACE 1991

Barbary sucks. No two ways about it. Was cool ten years ago. Tomorrow at the Dolphin is Dave P who is one of the best electronic DJs in the city. I try to go to most of his shows and the Broadzilla DJs shows. As a 30 something I may be too old for this, especially when it means an illegal warehouse party at 3 am on a Saturday but it's super fun.

Lol at the Barbary. I got into an unprovoked (by me) bar fight there last summer. A dude bumped into me pretty hard, I said "Yo dude what the fuck," he apologized and we were cool, then his friend came up to me and said "yo do you know him?" to which I said "no," then he sucker punched me in the face. For whatever reason, the rest of his crew started punching all my homies as well. They obviously got kicked out and then proceeded to wait outside the Barbary for me for TWO HOURS. As soon as I opened the door I got punched in the face again and managed to scramble to a cab nearby and nope the fuck out of there with my friends. Glad their was a cab nearby, that shit could have gotten really dangerous. What a bunch of thugs. Masculinity is the worst.

esms

For the first time all year this years homicide count has been lower than last years year to date count. Wonder if we'll end the year lower than last year. I wonder how many years it will be before we're sub-200 homicides for the year.

The way this heat wave is going, I doubt it.

Top Bottom