• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

People in this thread mostly seem to forget that the Ace Attorney series has always been annoying in this way. It's been overusing flashbacks since the first game, even when they aren't at all necessary or just happened. In some ways Spirit of Justice is a little more restrained since many of the flashbacks contain only one or two lines, whereas the older games tended to include much more of the scene they were showing.

I don't remember the flashbacks going back such tiny distances though.

MrBadger

I think the flashbacks are worse here because they all have mini loading times and the characters have a longer set of animations. For whatever reason, they do seem to stand out more in this game than in previous games.

NotLiquid

It's a really good entry. Also case 4 isn't bad at all, it features a really nice, classic mystery. But it's completely filler and not even remotely important even for character development, so I guess that's why it's not the most liked case in the game.

I'm finding Case 4 rather enjoyable really. Sure it screws a little with the great pacing that the game has had up until that point but it's something I eventually started to enjoy (even though I haven't finished yet, however I just got to a major twist regarding one of the characters so I assume I'm nearing the end). What's surprising me is that I can't say that AA6 has had any outright bad or mediocre case so far, and even though I can clearly see Case 4 as being the outlier it's less because of the way the case is and more about where they decided to put it.

To be perfectly honest about it;
it feels like a Case 1. It has a very structural way of tackling testimonies, no investigations and is a completely separate storyline where the theme of it is a character learning the ropes. This would have been a perfect first case for an Athena focused game. Oh well, maybe in AA7 she'll get more love.

Gestahl

It's a really good entry. Also case 4 isn't bad at all, it features a really nice, classic mystery. But it's completely filler and not even remotely important even for character development, so I guess that's why it's not the most liked case in the game.

Case 4 is completely harmless and silly fun and is almost perfectly positioned in the story as a breather between the high stakes Khu'rain(sp) drama.

Some people will come up with complaints about anything though (this is mostly a non sequitur and isn't really related to the case 4 complaints). I saw one post somewhere where the guy could not wrap his head around why a magician would ever use real and fake props at the same time in a show. Like what possible use could a magical illusionist have for showing the audience a real prop and then exchanging it for something harmless??? Some questions just don't have answers I guess

Baleoce

In general, I'd replay most Ace Attorney cases. 6-1 though, I genuinely can't see myself playing that again.

spiritfox

Case 4 is completely harmless and silly fun and is almost perfectly positioned in the story as a breather between the high stakes Khu'rain(sp) drama.

Some people will come up with complaints about anything though (this is mostly a non sequitur and isn't really related to the case 4 complaints). I saw one post somewhere where the guy could not wrap his head around why a magician would ever use real and fake props at the same time in a show. Like what possible use could a magical illusionist have for showing the audience a real prop and then exchanging it for something harmless??? Some questions just don't have answers I guess

On the other hand, I feel case 4 breaks the progression of the story. I might have been better if it was case 2 or 3.

Also Case 4 cements
Blackquill
as the best prosecutor after Edgeworth.
I also love how setting it in America turns him into a serious weeaboo.

TrueBlue

Aye, having just started Case 4, I think complaints will be more focused on its placement in the overall story.

It's a shame too, because I was surprised to see Athena being the main attorney. Both her main cases might be considered divisive. :lol

JimPanzer

Just finished Case 2, already knew what happened during the investigation, nevertheless a nice case., Loving it so far! Sooo much better than AA5.

ZeroX03

Banned
Only on case two, but was accidentally spoiled about
Jove Justice
(late game spoiler I assume). Happy about it though, it's time they addressed it.

Doorman

Hmm, finally hit my first real sticking point with a séance, during the second day of case 3. I feel like I know what the final explanation is going to turn out to be, but I have no idea currently what to object to in order to really get there. Taking a break for breakfast before giving this another shot but I'm not sure quite what I'm overlooking at the moment.

Overall so far, the game's good, and most of the witnesses have some really great animations. One of the "reveals" during case 3's investigation has me curious to see how they explain certain things though, and a few of the parallels that are showing up feel kind of weak.

Sadist

Lol case 2

Nahyuta having replies ready for receiving business card made me chuckle. "What's crack-a-lackin' homie?"

Laughed out loud

Case 5 Day 2 character name spoilers

Jesus christ the puns in this game. So it turns out the
minister
has the
name Inga Karkhull Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III.

Translation in case someone for some reason doesn't get it:

In a car call how could this name be any longer or more pompous then it already is Khura'in III.

...Guilty as charged, I was staring at it for a minute and couldn't make anything beyond Pompous out. And here I was thinking Rheel Neh'mu couldn't be topped. Oh how wrong I was.

Well, Case 3 down and it was fine, made good use of its setting and circumstances to tell something unique.
Yet there's just something about current Phoenix that's just so...bland? I'm really thinking between this and Dual Destinies going from snarky puppetmaster Naruhobo to safe interpretation of original trilogy Wright that feels like a backstep.
We have nothing more to learn about him now, he's almost reduced to bluffing machine who BELIEVES in his clients and not much else, and throwing the super hostile court at him doesn't really change anything. The fact that all three defendants in the game thus far have been assistant type characters hasn't really helped this believe angle I suppose,.

Throw in the new prosecutor whose shaping up to be the most uninteresting one yet and I'm in two minds with this game so far, it's probably better than Dual Destinies but I'm not enjoying it as much. I will say the plot points left for Case 5 to assumedly address actually seem pretty great but then, well the non spoiler reactions to that one seem to be interesting to say the least.

In conclusion, I love ya Wright but we really need a new start here.
this is why I wanted Great Ace Attorney more...

MrBadger

this is why I wanted Great Ace Attorney more...

nahyuta-sahdmadi-trailer-lanzamiento-730x409.png

Let it go, and move on

NotLiquid

Dual Destinies was, in my opinion, definitely better in proposing a "middle ground" as far as Phoenix's character goes in my eyes. I've already made peace with the idea that we're never getting a return to his Naruhobo personality. I figured that personality only made sense because with AA4 he had the benefit of seven years of prep time which he was sitting on, calm like a time bomb. Dual Destinies had him put in more situations where he has to act in an impulsive fashion (and in the final case I imagine he had a lot of emotional toll weighing him down), that said you really got a sense of his maturity and leadership whenever you weren't actually playing as him.

In this game he's definitely reverted just a little more to late trilogy levels. I suppose you can make the case that it's because of the circumstances he's put in (this time he literally has to defend like his life depends on it) but it could still have been handled a bit better.

i guess i'm lucky my interest in great ace attorney was tempered based on how underwhelmed i was by takumi's next project after ghost trick being an ace attorney spinoff, and that i saw AA4 nick as character upheaval rather than character development

of course, i wouldn't mind less focus on nick or him having shown further signs of maturing, but i guess my misgivings about AA6 are lessened as a result. i've been very pleasantly surprised by it after having had middling expectations.

Are the DLC mini-cases worth playing? I definitely am interested in the full DLC case since I've heard good things about it, but I don't think I know anything about the two non-canon DLCs.

Lusankya

Are the DLC mini-cases worth playing? I definitely am interested in the full DLC case since I've heard good things about it, but I don't think I know anything about the two non-canon DLCs.

They're fun and feature Pearls and Klavier for example, but they're also super short.

Finished case 2. I really loved it even though I figured out that
Retins was probably Reus from the first few mentions of his hatred for the troupe.

Gestahl

They're 15-20 minutes each, the Phoenix one is really stupid and hilarious but I don't know if it's worth paying actual money for. Get them if you have money to throw away

MechaX

I think I am about half way into Case 1 and... Jesus H. Christ, I don't think I've ever seen an Ace Attorney case escalate this fast.

Payne is so fucking salty that he would impose the death penalty on Wright? Nah, fuck that dude, I take back everything halfway nice I might have thought about Payne over the series.

I think I am about half way into Case 1 and... Jesus H. Christ, I don't think I've ever seen an Ace Attorney case escalate this fast.

Payne is so fucking salty that he would impose the death penalty on Wright? Nah, fuck that dude, I take back everything halfway nice I might have thought about Payne over the series.

But, that's Gaspen Payne the one from DD who was an asshole in that game as well, Winston Payne is still enough of a pathetic loser he still comes across as endearing.

javadoze

Case 4 beat

I enjoy the dynamic between Athena and Blackquill this case. Not to mention that Blackquill's inclusion kinda made me realize how much I miss his character. Sure, he seems like a blender of odd localization choices and character gimmicks (though now I find them more endearing than nagging), but he's still hell of a lot more interesting than Nahyuta's been in court up to this point.

The case in general is hit-or-miss. The murder weapon and the multiple personalities guy made for some interesting bits (I'm pleasantly surprised the writers finally tackled a personality disorder in a case, and with Athena at the helm as well, adding another interesting layer onto the mood matrix).

Not much else to say, though. It's a harmless filler case with some fun moments. I'd argue that it's about on par with average filler cases in other games (still steps above DD's that for sure).

Doorman

Finished up with case three. I'm actually pretty surprised and pleased with the way things turned out differently. I thought for sure it was going to turn out like case 2, where I had the killer figured out almost immediately, and I was happy to be wrong...
sort of. I'd assumed that the wife killed Tahrust since the moment she first talked to his portrait, and while it's true that she did kill someone, it didn't play out at all like I expected it to.
The thought route for this case definitely brought something out that I hadn't anticipated, and I love it for that.

I haven't started case 4 yet but from the bits and pieces of info I've seen here, it sounds like it's a return to exceedingly Japanese things. Oh boy.

Also Sadhmadhi is an exceptionally boring prosecutor. I like his occasional random voice-acted chant but outside of that he's been very one-note. Doesn't feel like a real challenger nor is he really satisfying to defeat. He just...fits the bill of what you'd expect of a Khura'inese prosecutor. Prays, insults lawyers, that's about all.

Totakeke

Second time I've been stuck at a spot for more than ten minutes while knowing what exactly was the correct answer but due to technicalities I was left pondering if there was another answer.

This time in was in Case 3 trial
the wind affecting the fire in the lamp, I pointed out the flames, I needed to check youtube that I was supposed to point at the lantern right beside it to proceed...

I don't think they ever explicitly address that point either, but it sure makes you hate him a lot more once it sinks in.

Morts

Case 2 was surprisingly great considering
I've never really cared for Trucy or all the magician bullshit in the series before.

javadoze

Case 5 day 1 investigation

This case just turned into the intrepid adventures of Dhurke and son and I'm loving it. It really is like the true sequel to Apollo Justice.

Mind you, as pointed out, that's Gaspen Payne who was first introduced in AA5.
Winston Payne is the one who is from the Trilogy and AJ.

Just finished it, possibly my favorite of the new Trilogy, but not quite sure. Better than AA5 at the very least.

The pacing was a little wonky, but come on it's Ace Attorney, pacing is often a bit weird. As for some people's complaints about Nick's personality:
I think it fits in pretty well all things considered. In Case 1 he was pretty confident throughout, and was tossing out jabs at the prosecution and Rayfa nonstop. Yeah, we know that in his thoughts he's usually bluffing or panicking, but when we play as Apollo vs Phoenix, he seems a hell of a lot more put together. Looking at him through Apollo's eyes he seems like a fucking legend. But he's still Phoenix, and is the same character from AA4 on.

Still a great game, I don't feel a bit let down like I did at the end of 5 with the major twist in that one, which felt like a bit much. Here the twists can be crazy, but they feel a lot more organic to the situation of dealing with a foreign country and the joys of Spirit Channeling.

Got through Case 1, and honestly it felt like a chore.

It seemed like you were going through mounds of dialogue between each testimony segment, and not all that much of it really advanced the narrative. Don't get me wrong, this happened in the other games too, but here it felt like they tried to intentionally pad out the case for no reason whatsoever.

The culprit was decent, but the new judge and other "court presences" were all extremely one note, and not in a good way.

We get it, the people here hate attorneys! And not only do they hate attorneys, they hate them in the most trope-esque, bland way possible. It didn't need to be repeated every other line of dialogue.

Here's to hoping that the writing and pacing get better as the game goes on.

Totakeke

Middle of case 3...

The prosecution has never
presented a single piece of evidence throughout the twists and turns...
the plotting needs an editor.

explodet

Middle of case 3...

The prosecution has never
presented a single piece of evidence throughout the twists and turns...
the plotting needs an editor.
You ain't in Kansas any more, buster. (Though Kansas in this universe is probably a village known for its sashimi dishes and rice wine)

The prosecution doesn't need evidence, they've got Divination Seances.

Totakeke

You ain't in Kansas any more, buster. (Though Kansas in this universe is probably a village known for its sashimi dishes and rice wine)

The prosecution doesn't need evidence, they've got Divination Seances.

Which insights was completely overturned, then prosecution proceeded to introduce a criminal as a witness, which testimony turned out to be a complete nothing... then instead of starting at the state prior to the witness was introduced, now the accused was even more guilty? How in the world does that sequence make any sense.

D-Man

Just beat Case 2. I liked it a lot! Better than Case 1 and WAY better than DD's Case 2. I like how they
brought the Troupe Gramarye stuff into focus. Didn't expect to see a big component of AJ's story be so significant here.

Don't know how to feel about Nahyuta yet, but seeing him lose his cool felt so good. The game is shaping up to be pretty strong in my book.

The culprit was decent, but the new judge and other "court presences" were all extremely one note, and not in a good way.

I disagree with the new Judge. I always thought the classic PW Judge was a senile buffoon and he got stupider and stupider as the series went on. This new Judge actually seems fairly smart, and I really like it.

Top Bottom