• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

LiK

Ema's thinking animation is too cute. I'm loving her so much more in this game. Kinda hated her in AA4 but I adore her in AA6.

Case 5:
Assuming you mean on Apollo's side of things and that you've played AJ: Apollo and Trucy share a mother, Thalassa Gramarye, better known as Lamiroir. Apollo's biological father is the guy in the photo you receive at the start of the case while Trucy's is Zak Gramarye. Both of the siblings lose their fathers and Lamiroir goes missing. Trucy is adopted by Phoenix and Apollo by Dhurke. Dhurke's biological son is Nayuta. To this day, they do not know they are siblings. I haven't finished the case so I'm not sure if this is developed upon, but this is the state at the start of case 5.

So yeah, confusing!
So,
Trucy and Apollo are half-siblings, and Apollo and Nahyuta are adoptive siblings... what does that make Trucy to Nahyuta, then, if anything?

Lusankya

Could anyone help?

Chapter 3:
Position of the killer was stated to be in the pool and the high priest dashed into the water. The contradiction is the line stating that he ran towards her and thus towards the pool. That's because the right lantern in the vision is broken, but the broken lantern is in actuality away from the pool, which doesn't align with the statement. I've presented both the wind, the lantern and the fire as contradiction, but they're all wrong.

What does this game want?

You're at the point when Rayfa cleaned up the picture? Yeah I also had a hard time there. For some reason you can only point out the broken lantenr at a very specific time frame, namely when Ta'hrust puts down his fingers and the lantern is the only visible part in the image. Also make sure you highlighted the correct part of Rayfa's interpretation.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Got to the trial of case 2.

So far, I'm really really enjoying this entry. At this rate, it will end up being my favorite after AA3.

I have picked the correct line, but wow that's really bad.
Why would they be super specific about when you point it out? It's the right line, the right spirit thing moment and the right object.

I thought I was making a mistake, but it seems the game arbitrarily decided to refuse the right answer. I like the game, but the
vision
sections have been really bad so far.

yeah I got stuck on the same part, like I kinda knew what they wanted but had no idea what exactly they wanted me to point out, those are the most annoying Ace Attorney problems.

javadoze

Oh god, that case 4 beginning...

Having Simon Blackquill question Nahyuta's grasp of rakugo is like ten levels of irony stacked on top of each other.

I'm a long-time fan of the series, but I thought AA5 was exceedingly dull.

It looks like the consensus is that 6 is a nice improvement? That's good. I guess I'll pick it up sooner rather than later.

NotLiquid

Case 3 MAJOR second day investigation spoilers

AWWWWWWW SHIT APOLLO NO FUCKING WAY DUDE

IS THIS THE PATH WE'RE GOING DOWN OH FUCK ME

LiK

I'm a long-time fan of the series, but I thought AA5 was exceedingly dull.

It looks like the consensus is that 6 is a nice improvement? That's good. I guess I'll pick it up sooner rather than later.

Better than than AA5. Feels more like the older games and doesn't hold your hand as much. Maybe they got some good feedback.

NotLiquid

Man I'm not even joking when I say this is probably the closest the franchise has gotten to AA3 so far. The stakes just feel like they keep ramping up here. I fucking love it.

If AA6 can just hold onto that until the end then they've successfully created a new classic in my eyes.

Better than than AA5. Feels more like the older games and doesn't hold your hand as much. Maybe they got some good feedback.

Yeah honestly many of the contradictions in this game have had me stumped. I've had a surprising share of game overs.

Kevinroc

Made it to the first part of the trial of Case 3. Even by Ace Attorney standards, some of these pun names are ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah honestly many of the contradictions in this game have had me stumped. I've had a surprising share of game overs.

I got so close and just hovered at having 1 strike left for much of the second half of Case 2. I would argue, however, that it was not my fault, as the evidence I provided to point out the contradiction was 100% appropriate (and was even mentioned by the attorney as being the basis of the contradiction!) and then I just started trying other "second-best answer" stuff to figure out what obtuse logic the game wanted.

What happens when you get a game over? Does it take you back to your last save?

Finished the Day 1 investigation in Case 5:

Apollo vs Phoenix! Holy Shit! That's amazing!
that is right up there with (T&T spoilers)
Edgeworth as defense attorney!
as far as awesome twists go! And of course I have errands that I have to run, so I have to call it quits for now. DAAAMN IT!!!

Case 3, Day 1 trial stuff I'm confused on:

The whole thing with the Insight where Phoenix says Maya was actually standing where she was supposed to be in the rite but the lantern isn't broken but when Kee'ra is spotted it's next to the broken lantern due to the wind. Am I missing something? Giving the diagram I don't understand where everyone is where Phoenix says they are.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I beat case 2, I am loving the game so far. Unlike many of you, I enjoyed case 1, and I LOVED case 2. It is quite possibly the best case 2 of any ace attorney game. The music is top notch, the cross examination music is godly, but the pursuit music is unfortunately the weakest one in the franchise. The game slows down often, I could see why though because there is so much motion captured animation, and there are sequences that absolutely push the 3DS to its limits. It is awesome that Capcom continues to push the 3DS console more than every other company, even Nintendo.

Replaying it on my iPad is going to be a treat, and yes, the series need the NX treatment ASAP.

javadoze

I beat case 2, I am loving the game so far. Unlike many of you, I enjoyed case 1, and I LOVED case 2. It is quite possibly the best case 2 of any ace attorney game. The music is top notch, the cross examination music is godly, but the pursuit music is unfortunately the weakest one in the franchise. The game slows down often, I could see why though because there is so much motion captured animation, and there are sequences that absolutely push the 3DS to its limits. It is awesome that Capcom continues to push the 3DS console more than every other company, even Nintendo.

Replaying it on my iPad is going to be a treat, and yes, the series need the NX treatment ASAP.

Yeah, I love the soundtrack, but I feel like the pursuit theme falls into the same trap DD's does where the overall composition sounds good, but the instruments lack a certain "oomph" to them.

Doorman

Just finished up the first investigation in Case 3.

So far, it's more Ace Attorney. Which I like! But...it feels a bit like there is still something kind of missing that I can't entirely put my finger on. So far the actual means of cornering the first two culprits has felt really roundabout. Rather than providing real proof, the final reveals of the first two cases both felt more like logical traps brought about by relying on previously-made but never fully-proven assumptions. In that way, the end-points feel strangely arbitrary to me. I also feel a little bad, strangely enough, that I predicted the "big twist" of the second case almost immediately and just spent most of it waiting for the inevitable reveal.

That being said, (case 2)
I absolutely love the de Famme twins (best application of the "two-faced female witness in case 2" trope to date?)
and (case 3)
Rayfa, while still slightly annoying, is growing on me after having her tag along the investigation. Beats having Maya following around just like always, at least.
Now that I'm getting into Case 3's trial it seems like things are really about to start twisting, so I'm looking forward to it!

Hcoregamer00

Yeah, I love the soundtrack, but I feel like the pursuit theme falls into the same trap DD's does where the overall composition sounds good, but the instruments lack a certain "oomph" to them.

I am definitely going to agree there, musically it is amazing. It is just not energetic enough and "blood pumping passionate" like the past ones.

It's unfortunate because it is probably the only weak link in the musical score (so far), the soundtrack is definitely going to be bought once I beat the game.

Case 5 stuff! (Midway through investigation day 2):
The first trial with Apollo pitted against Phoenix was indeed very satisfying although it's a shame the circumstances meant we couldn't have had Maya + Phoenix vs. Apollo + Athena. The politician was a fun villain but seemed lacking in his animations compared to the God Tier animations the rest of this game has had. The name plate gimmick was nice though, as was the great breakdown. This game has been 4 for 4 on it's breakdowns so far (That Case 4 breakdown!) and I'm looking forward to seeing the final confrontation unfold. Chief was also a fun character and another example of the dual personality trait so many characters have displayed in this game so far. I'm a little sad that Pearl's cameo was so brief but shoehorning her into the story probably would have killed the pacing.

As for the Khura'in investigation, Edgeworth's role is a lot more prominent here than DD which is great. I love all his interactions with Phoenix, especially the Gumshoe allusion which also referenced AAI. A lot of stuff has happened in this investigation, I'm interested to know how Rayfa's retainer fits into this whole mess. I expect A LOT of spiritual stuff is going to go down soon. All in all, very much enjoying this case and the game itself is almost definitely going to end up being my favourite mainline game to date if that final trial is done well.

Doorman

Don't feel bad. It was foreshadowed really hard.

Regardless, it was beautifully done.

Some of the best plot twists are the ones you could see a mile away, but you are not 100% sure and you constantly second guess yourself.

For me it wasn't really a matter of much foreshadowing at all. (Case 2 spoilers obviously)
Literally the second time that you meet Retinz and are formally introduced to him, it felt really obvious that he was both the real killer as well as Mr. Reus's true identity. As soon as you see the 12-year-old poster of the Troupe, I realized the Reus that Trucy performed with had to be a fake because he looked completely unaged. Once Retinz showed back up, and you notice the similarities in hair and face (only vaguely thrown off by the goatee) the rest of it was sealed to me. This is all long before he starts all of his overt hostility towards the Gramaryes.

I also found the final culprit-breakdown in that case to be kind of lame. Villain breakdowns have always been a fun tradition of the series but the ones in this game so far feel like they've gotten too over-the-top and theatrical for their own good.

Brashnir

yeah I got stuck on the same part, like I kinda knew what they wanted but had no idea what exactly they wanted me to point out, those are the most annoying Ace Attorney problems.

just got stuck at the same part and knew I wouldn't have to scroll back too far in this thread to find someone else having the same issue.

Oh, the garbage gameplay I put up with to enjoy you, Ace Attorney...

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
I didn't see any posts for this in the thread, although I've avoided spoilers as I've only played the first case, but among the references in Case 1, I found this reference
to the two "Gyakuten Meets" albums which were released in Japan for the earlier games, Gyakuten Meets Orchestra, and Gyakuten Meets Jazz Soul.

I thought it was a nice little, maybe slightly obscure, detail. It made me smile at least.

Totakeke

Need case 2 help.

What am I supposed to do in the court
during the cross-examination where the two just says they're too busy to kill, obviously the fire bucket is related but presenting it goes nowhere

rekameohs

Banned
I didn't see any posts for this in the thread, although I've avoided spoilers as I've only played the first case, but among the references in Case 1, I found this reference
to the two "Gyakuten Meets" albums which were released in Japan for the earlier games, Gyakuten Meets Orchestra, and Gyakuten Meets Jazz Soul.

I thought it was a nice little, maybe slightly obscure, detail. It made me smile at least.
Yep, I noticed that reference too. Jazz Soul Godot's got 8 million views on YouTube!

As much as I am enjoying the game, this game in particular suffer really badly from instances where multiple pieces of evidence contradict a claim, but only one is accepted and the other is decided to be wrong as it's going to get introduced later. They then usually jump to a million different logical hoops before they come to the conclusion you've been trying to explain in the first place.

I swear this happened to me more times in case 1 and 2 than every previous entry combined.
And that includes AAI2 and Layton crossover.

Shahadan

Ended up buying it after all against my better judgment, my question is this:

I'm in the middle of case 1 and hate everything. this is so jumping the shark I can't handle it. I'd like to know if there is somebody who had the same feelings at first and still had a good time later?
Are there cases outside of Kur'hain at least?

rekameohs

Banned
Wait so the costume crossover dlc is only for Japan? Damn.

Wright looks badass as hell! I totally pay just to have it in the courtroom, lol.
They said we're getting all three of the DLC cases (2 short one offs, one full length case like AA5's), so I'd imagine it's in there.

Wait so the costume crossover dlc is only for Japan? Damn.

Wright looks badass as hell! I totally pay just to have it in the courtroom, lol.
There's Sengoku Basara crossover costumes and we don't get them?!

Life isn't fair.

Yep and it's going to keep happening more and more often with the next case. I'm at case 3 now and this specific issue has popped up more than case 1 and 2 combined.

It was never this bad with the previous entries, so I'm weirded out that they completely fucked up in that regard in this one.

It's as if the general main contradictions here are easily figured out but before you get there you have to jump through kinda superfluous hoops

Life isn't fair.

It's as if the general main contradictions here are easily figured out but before you get there you have to jump through kinda superfluous hoops
Did you see them?
Link
Do we know when, exactly?
Every Thursday in September. So this Thursday is the first mini-DLC. Priced at 3.99 for mini and 5.99 for the DLC Case.
Link

Menitta

Did you see them?
Link

Every Thursday in September. So this Thursday is the first mini-DLC. Priced at 3.99 for mini and 5.99 for the DLC Case.
Link

Cool! Weekly support is always good. I'll wait to see how long the mini cases are first, I'll be day 1 for the DLC case. Especially because
The Butz
is coming back!

Cool! Weekly support is always good. I'll wait to see how long the mini cases are first, I'll be day 1 for the DLC case. Especially because
The Butz
is coming back!
Yeah, I'm kinda doubtful that the mini DLC stories will be worth it, especially at that price. Definitely in for the case though!

Jeffrey

Finished case 2.

The presentation for this game is insane.

This and uncharted 4 are my most "wow" in terms of visuals so far for 2016.

javadoze

Life isn't fair.

Something I still prefer about the Takumi-written games is how the cases mostly revolve around 1 or 2 central gimmicks whereas the Yamazaki ones seem to pile on additional mysteries past those (I think this works well with something like the Investigations games where you're at the crime scene itself most of the time, but a few steps too far for the main series games).

Hcoregamer00

Finished case 2.

The presentation for this game is insane.

This and uncharted 4 are my most "wow" in terms of visuals so far for 2016.

Right? Slowdown aside, it is probably one of the most beautiful games on the 3DS. The animations are godly, you forget that it is all 3D models.

AA5 and now AA6 is one of the greatest 2D to 3D transitions ever.

Drago

Just finished up case 2. Loved it. I could be speaking too soon but I honestly think it's the best case 2 in the series yet. Kinda felt like it came from the full fledged Apollo Justice sequel that never was. The set up, the new characters and the stakes in it were great and well handled. I especially have to complement the investigation in this case, it was one of the most entertaining ones I can remember in a while, especially as things continued ramping up as it progressed. Humor is on point too. So glad to get more Trucy, she was horribly underutilized in Dual Destinies, and Ema is a welcome return even if I kinda miss the more cynical version of her.
MUNCHMUNCHMUNCH making a return in the trial put a big smile on my face anyway. lol

If there was any real problem I had with the case
it'd probably be just how obvious they made the true culprit out to be. It's better than outright showing the real killer like they did at the start of case 2 in DD, but wow I don't think they could have made it more obvious Regitz was behind it all. Like, as soon as he showed up I knew he was gonna be the killer, then he started going on and on about how much he hates the Gramareyes, and shocker, he was the killer! The twist of him being the real Mr. Reus and how he pulled off the murder were both fantastic though, didn't see any of that coming.
Not really that big a deal though.

Nahyuta is pretty cool so far even if he's kinda just filling that role of 'prosecutor who looks down upon defense attorneys' that most of them do right now (though it fits considering what Khura'in is like), but his design is definitely a bit too over the top for me. Interested to see more of him as the game progresses
especially his relation with Apollo. I really wanna know whats up with that

Seriously I think the bits and pieces of the overarching plot in these first two cases is already more captivating to me than the entirety of the Dark Age of the Law dreck in AA5 lol. I'm so glad I'm enjoying this game so much thus far, I had low expectations coming into this but it's greatly exceeding them.

Jeffrey

Right? Slowdown aside, it is probably one of the most beautiful games on the 3DS. The animations are godly, you forget that it is all 3D models.

AA5 and now AA6 is one of the greatest 2D to 3D transitions ever.
Hope they do get around to do a AA6 ios port to fix the lag and for my future replay.

yeah it felt like they were hesitant about transitioning too quickly with AA5 so it still felt mostly like the older games besides a few good moments (athena doing the dumb statue poses), but now they are really taking advantage 3D models offer.

MrBadger

Ended up buying it after all against my better judgment, my question is this:

I'm in the middle of case 1 and hate everything. this is so jumping the shark I can't handle it. I'd like to know if there is somebody who had the same feelings at first and still had a good time later?
Are there cases outside of Kur'hain at least?

I disliked the premise up until release and found the first case to be pretty irritating but over all my impressions on the game are solid right now. Get used to the setting and deal with the ham fisted "all lawyers are trash" crap in the first case and it does get better. Plus not all the cases are set abroad.

Top Bottom