• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

LiK

Second case done. Another awesome one. Wow, the true culprit breakdowns are insanely awesome in this entry. They put in some work. So good. 👍🏻

Ended up buying it after all against my better judgment, my question is this:

I'm in the middle of case 1 and hate everything. this is so jumping the shark I can't handle it. I'd like to know if there is somebody who had the same feelings at first and still had a good time later?
Are there cases outside of Kur'hain at least?

I had similar feelings when I started. Still do, actually. The premise is just so out there and unbelievable that I can't take the "higher stakes" seriously nor did I ever care to help this hate-filled nation. I didn't start liking the game until Case 3. It toned down the "WE HATE LAWYERS" nonsense and told a very compelling, character-driven story that could only have existed in this setting.

Quick reminder since it looks like people are getting close to beating the game, there is a spoiler thread here for tag-free discussion about the game. Right now it's just me and GSR shooting rubber bands at each other, lol.

First investigation day of the second case and I'm pretty sure that
the bunny girl has a twin sister.
Just my guess, don't know what that would mean for the case though.

Maybe I should play the Ace Attorney series someday... What's the order of games?

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney 2: Justice for All
AA3: Trials & Tribulations
AA4: Apollo Justice
Ace Attorney Investigations
Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [Gyakuten Kenji 2] (Japanese only, but exceptional fan-translation patch is available)
AA5: Dual Destinies (Digital only)
AA6: Spirit of Justice (Digial only)

There's also Dai Gyakuten Saiban, but that's a spin off that takes place in the past and is only in Japanese with no indication currently that it will be localized.

Case 3 spoilers:
This divination seance at the beginning of the trial is stumping me something fierce. Everything I think is an inconsistency somehow isn't.

In Case 5, Day 2 Investigation:

I just have a quick question that I think I should know the answer to by now. I just finished talking to
Dhurk
in the detention center. So I'm clear
he was married to Queen Amara, who I had assumed is older, and upon her death Ga'ran took over as queen, correct? Or do we not know their relation yet?

Finally was able to download this game... finished case 1, started case 2...

Lol I was so sure that the culprit in Case 1 was
blind when he said he couldn't read those instructions. Totally off base there. :p

So far the writing is much better than DD. I love how much more confident Feenie is (and he throws great shade). I'm also really liking Apollo and Athena's dynamic, and this is from someone who thought Athena was terribly bland in DD. I'm still early in the game though, but hopefully it keeps it up!

Edit:
I didn't see any posts for this in the thread, although I've avoided spoilers as I've only played the first case, but among the references in Case 1, I found this reference
to the two "Gyakuten Meets" albums which were released in Japan for the earlier games, Gyakuten Meets Orchestra, and Gyakuten Meets Jazz Soul.

I thought it was a nice little, maybe slightly obscure, detail. It made me smile at least.

Oh that's so cool! I thought his choice of genres were a little strange, I didn't connect the dots lol.

kpjolee

Case 3:
Guilty verdict......It is hard to believe how PW got nerfed to the point where he seems lot worse than Apollo and even Athena. He is supposed to be the best lawyer in his country yet he was utterly powerless against Nahyuta all the way to guilty verdict, even when Nahyuta had no concrete evidence and would have easily dodged in any other case imo.

Just got the game and finished the first case. My initial impression is that WOW this is much better than AA5 already.

Even though it was a bit long-winded for a first case I still found it pretty enjoyable. Maybe they made it that long because people didn't like playing as Apollo so quickly after a pretty short case of playing as Phoenix in AA5? Not that I had a problem with that, but it's just a shot in the dark.

Anyway, it was a pretty good case. Not the best but definitely not the worst. However, the killer in it might be among my favorites from the entire series as far as design, dialogue and pun-names goes. Great character.

Really looking forward to starting the second case soon.

Brashnir

Case 3:
Guilty verdict......It is hard to believe how PW got nerfed to the point where he seems lot worse than Apollo and even Athena. He is supposed to be the best lawyer in his country yet he was utterly powerless against Nahyuta all the way to guilty verdict, even when Nahyuta had no concrete evidence and would have easily dodged in any other case imo.

Yeah, I just got to that part and had to put the game down. I know that
ever escalating tension and melodramatic nonsense like this
is a series staple, but this one was especially poorly executed.

gardfish

So I'm decently into the investigation for Case 3 by now, but I gotta say, I really liked Case 2 (although I felt like it could've been split into two court days instead of just one--felt like it dragged on a bit in that sense). Really good character writing, an excellent sense of tension and desperation, and the allusions to past games and character backstories felt much more organic than it did in Dual Destinies. I also loved the killer's breakdown.

Just finished Case 2.

My opinions for the first 2 cases:
I loved sitar Jesus' testimony being "sung" and the text bleeping along with the melody of the music at first, but that gimmick turned a little grating over the course of the trial. That said, I generally liked the case, although the whole "the country hates lawyers" shtick went really annoying really fast, especially the crowd cheering (being voice acted no less), and I honestly feel like
the evidence to convict Andastandhin is flimsy at best
. Payne as always being the shining star of the first case, I just love the whole idea of him leaving for a country where he could never lose a case, yet still managing to be full of himself,
and also the really dark side of him setting up Phoenix to get executed.

Second case I feel like I would've enjoyed so much more if I hadn't figured out the culprit, his motive and the main twist within the first 5 or so minutes of me playing it. There were a few things for me to still figure out, like
Bonny being a twin, though her involvement was quite blatant at the start as well
It also feels weird that they semi-retconned that additional guy into the Troupe Gramarye. They made such a big deal out of Zak and Valant being the only proteges Magnifi had in AA4, and suddenly Mr. Reus. That said, I loved the visual design of him, what with the green/purple theme and the half-mask. Oh and, Retinz HAS to be partially based on Robert Downey Jr., right?

Also: Man they're really not even trying with the name puns anymore, are they?

Totakeke

Finished case 2. Similar to the first case, some plot threads were wearing really thin at some points if you ever stepped back even for just a moment, and the constant use of flashbacks is really grating on me, but overall I come away quite impressed. The animations are really fantastic, and overall the story setup was good and the villain was well built up.

Onward to case 3.

Just finished Case 2.

My opinions for the first 2 cases:
I loved sitar Jesus' testimony being "sung" and the text bleeping along with the melody of the music at first, but that gimmick turned a little grating over the course of the trial. That said, I generally liked the case, although the whole "the country hates lawyers" shtick went really annoying really fast, especially the crowd cheering (being voice acted no less), and I honestly feel like
the evidence to convict Andastandhin is flimsy at best
. Payne as always being the shining star of the first case, I just love the whole idea of him leaving for a country where he could never lose a case, yet still managing to be full of himself,
and also the really dark side of him setting up Phoenix to get executed.

Second case I feel like I would've enjoyed so much more if I hadn't figured out the culprit, his motive and the main twist within the first 5 or so minutes of me playing it. There were a few things for me to still figure out, like
Bonny being a twin, though her involvement was quite blatant at the start as well
It also feels weird that they semi-retconned that additional guy into the Troupe Gramarye. They made such a big deal out of Zak and Valant being the only proteges Magnifi had in AA4, and suddenly Mr. Reus. That said, I loved the visual design of him, what with the green/purple theme and the half-mask. Oh and, Retinz HAS to be partially based on Robert Downey Jr., right?

Also: Man they're really not even trying with the name puns anymore, are they?

Yeah, as cool at Mr. Reus looked, it's still strange that he seemingly appears out of nowhere. I mean, I know he wasn't thought of at the time of Apollo Justice, but still.

I honestly don't really like the name puns at all in this game. And as previously mentioned, the flashbacks are excessive.

I still love how closely the 3D models and animations match the old sprites.

Yeah, as cool at Mr. Reus looked, it's still strange that he seemingly appears out of nowhere. I mean, I know he wasn't thought of at the time of Apollo Justice, but still.

You think I should spoiler tag that bit about him? I mean, that stuff's mentioned really early in the case so I thought it'd be fine.

I honestly don't really like the name puns at all in this game. And as previously mentioned, the flashbacks are excessive.

I still love how closely the 3D models and animations match the old sprites.

Agreed on all accounts. So far it feels like they're not trying with the puns at all, lol. Granted there's still a few more cases to go through but I'm not impressed with the names.

And yeah, the 3D models have been quite impressive even in AA5, but they're definitely great in this game as well.

You think I should spoiler tag that bit about him? I mean, that stuff's mentioned really early in the case so I thought it'd be fine.

Agreed on all accounts. So far it feels like they're not trying with the puns at all, lol. Granted there's still a few more cases to go through but I'm not impressed with the names.

And yeah, the 3D models have been quite impressive even in AA5, but they're definitely great in this game as well.

Oh, probably not. I had highlighted your whole post and didn't really pay attention to what was and was not spoiler tagged, so I just tagged my whole bit about the case, haha. As far as the name puns go, I don't even try to figure them out anymore.

Currently on case 2 and I'm loving the game so far. This isn't really a complaint, but there's something off about Bonnie's model that makes it look different from the others to me and I can't figure out what it is.

javadoze

Case 4 midpoint (or what I think is the midpoint)

D-did Blackquill just send Taka to a convenience store to buy some alcoholic manju?

...Even if this case is completely filler as I was forewarned, seeing Blackquill being a huge weeb is never not funny.

Muzy72

Banned
Need help on the Seance in Case 3!

"Footsteps" turned into Bells/Water but j can't figure out what to do from here.

EDIT: lol just got it

selo

Just finished case 2, definitely a step up from case 1, but yeah, obvious who the guilty party is. Enjoying the game a lot though.

Case 3 here we go!

I'm on Case 3 - Day 2 and so far, I am really liking the game! Case 1 and 2 were pretty damn good as well.

Hopefully it gets more crazy for Case 4 and 5!

Velcro Fly

Finished Case 2 tonight.

Enjoying the game but I feel like the constant flashbacks and the foreshadowing being not so subtle has kinda mellowed the experience a little.

jobrro

Some great impressions in here. Bought the game day one on the eShop, but still need to get through the last 2 cases as well as the DLC case in AA5 before I start.

linko9

Just finished it, fun as always! Definitely a step up from 5 in presentation. I think the new séance stuff was OK, but is one of the weaker "gimmick mechanics" of the series. Was also somewhat lacking in the wacky/memorable characters, compared to other entries. But overall seems like the series is still going strong.

It continues to be ridiculous how they localize the game as being set in the US; in this game literally all they'd have to do is replace every mention of "US" or "America" with "back home" or something like that, it seems like they're actually going out of their way to mention the US, since it's become such a joke at this point.

I though it was a bit unbelievable how
no one suspected that Apollo grew up in a foreign country until he was a teenager
, but other than that, I guess there was nothing too silly by AA standards. Will be interesting to see where the series goes from here, what with the developments at the end of the game!

Oh yeah, good point. Can we please not have flashbacks to dialogue that happened like 5 minutes ago?
If it was some tiny tidbit that was dropped in some off-hand remark, sure, but it's a bit silly.

People in this thread mostly seem to forget that the Ace Attorney series has always been annoying in this way. It's been overusing flashbacks since the first game, even when they aren't at all necessary or just happened. In some ways Spirit of Justice is a little more restrained since many of the flashbacks contain only one or two lines, whereas the older games tended to include much more of the scene they were showing.

So after finishing case 2, I need to say that the presentation of this game is top-notch. The animations are just so good!

I demand a GIF of
Bonny's hat trick failure
and
Ema's sad Snackoo munch

(Not really spoilers, but people should see these fresh within the game.)

All right this has been bugging me about Case 3 (haven't been in court yet):

Who is Abbot Inmee? For some reason I always thought that was the high priest, but apparently his name is Tahrust Inmee. And what's the pun for Abbot?

All right this has been bugging me about Case 3 (haven't been in court yet):

Who is Abbot Inmee? For some reason I always thought that was the high priest, but apparently his name is Tahrust Inmee. And what's the pun for Abbot?

I believe Abbot is just his job title, whereas Tahrust is his actual name.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, thanks! That was confusing me for a bit because I'm not familiar with that term.

[Case 3 Name]
An abbot is a religious title that can refer to the chief monk or the head of a monastery. So I think it's likely appropriate for what they were going for with his character and how they have presented Khura'inism. I can't remember if you're forced to encounter this character at the point you're at—I absolutely know you can because I did—but there's another character who has a title like that that's also not part of the pun.

[Case 3 Name]
An abbot is a religious title that can refer to the chief monk or the head of a monastery. So I think it's likely appropriate for what they were going for with his character and how they have presented Khura'inism.
Thanks for the elaboration. I had never heard that word before. :]

Lusankya

Case 3 is probably going to go down as an Ace Attorney classic.

That ending was perfection.

It's a great case, maybe even the best in the game. Although case 5 is probably better just for the story and impact, but it has some pacing problems.

Overall I was very satisfied with AA6, especially how it was all about
Apollo's story. I also loved they didn't forget the Gramaryes and at last had a small conversation with Phoenix and Lamiroir showing her the picture of Apollo's true dad.

Also while playing I somehow appreciated AA5 even more and I really want to replay that right now.

MegaMelon

Case 5 Day 2 character name spoilers

Jesus christ the puns in this game. So it turns out the
minister
has the
name Inga Karkhull Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III.

Translation in case someone for some reason doesn't get it:

In a car call how could this name be any longer or more pompous then it already is Khura'in III.

MrBadger

I can see Case 4 joining the ranks of Big Top as being "that one nobody likes" but I thought it was a fun distraction. Never mind that important stuff that Wright and Apollo are doing because
Athena Cykes needs to save Simon Blackquill's favourite noodle shop!
It was a pretty dumb story and I guessed the culprit early on because
the second I saw her balloons, I envisioned a breakdown with them all popping
but it was a short case and Simon Blackquill was a standout of DD and he's a great character here too. Never knew how much I missed him
until I saw him up against Nahyuta.

And now onto case 5! Getting some serious Professor Layton vibes so far. I'm starting to think that (Dual Destinies)
Apollo just made his friendship with Clay Terran up so people would stop bullying him for having no friends. I mean nobody even met the guy before he was murdered.

Gestahl

Case 5 Day 2 character name spoilers

Jesus christ the puns in this game. So it turns out the
minister
has the
name Inga Karkhull Haw'kohd Dis'nahm Bi'ahni Lawga Ormo Pohmpus Da'nit Ar'edi Iz Khura'in III.

Translation in case someone for some reason doesn't get it:

In a car call how could this name be any longer or more pompous then it already is Khura'in III.

I'm not sure if the first two are really supposed to be anything

NotLiquid

Case 4

I have to admit at this juncture in the game that if the developers wanted to create the most insufferable prosecutor with this game then they've succeeded. There's really not much to like about Nahyuta at all right now, I suppose it's a good way of making the player want to beat him but usually even the most detestable prosecutors like Manfred were fun and colorful.

The bright side about this case is how it shows how Simon Blackquill is one of the most underappreciated things to come from Dual Destinies. It only dawns on me now how great of a character he was.

MrBadger

Case 4

I have to admit at this juncture in the game that if the developers wanted to create the most insufferable prosecutor with this game then they've succeeded. There's really not much to like about Nahyuta at all right now, I suppose it's a good way of making the player want to beat him but usually even the most detestable prosecutors like Manfred were fun and colorful.

The bright side about this case is how it shows how Simon Blackquill is one of the most underappreciated things to come from Dual Destinies. It only dawns on me now how great of a character he was.

My experience with Nahyuta is that I forget he's there until he'll randomly halt progress to insult the character or chant some spiritual bullshit. It's a shame he has the personality of an annoying witness because most of the characters in this game are a huge step up from the one-note punchlines of certain other games.

Kinda want another prosecutor like Klavier or post-goodbyes Edgeworth. An adversary who doesn't have an axe to grind, and ultimately cares more about the truth.

It is a bit funny how Nahyuta is
so prominent because Edgeworth fired all the corrupt prosecutors so there's basically none left except for him, Blackquill and Klavier

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow reading through this thread the feedback consensus is Case 1-3 are all great, everyone has mostly positive reception.

... If case five is the usual ace, then are we looking at a new top tier AA game here?

Lusankya

Wow reading through this thread the feedback consensus is Case 1-3 are all great, everyone has mostly positive reception.

... If case five is the usual ace, then are we looking at a new top tier AA game here?

It's a really good entry. Also case 4 isn't bad at all, it features a really nice, classic mystery. But it's completely filler and not even remotely important even for character development, so I guess that's why it's not the most liked case in the game.

Top Bottom