• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Jeffrey

They were basically free (included with pre-orders) in Japan, but I guess Capcom USA/EU just want to make some more money out of it.
I do want the themes and the mini cases and I am also willing to pay for it, but I mostly pay the price to support the series.
I assume the game cost more than $30 at launch in japan though.

Anyways finished up day 1 stuff in case 5 and that felt like your typical 'case 4'.

hopefully can finish up the rest in the next 2 days or so.

how long are the mini dlc stuff?

Just finished the game.
For the first time I feel only disappointment after playing an AA game.
AA5 didn't really convince me either but at least it had some interesting quirks
I just finished and I actually feel the same way, for the most part. I think this is honestly the first time I've just been underwhelmed by an AA game :(. DD had some things going for it, but this one just felt very... flat.

DD has the worst case in the series (2), but this one has the most boring (4). I'm honestly surprised they didn't pull a DD with the first part of case 5--it could have easily been case 4 and have been a better case 4 than what we got.

Maybe I'm just being critical because I've been with the series since the beginning, but I wish they'd do things that haven't been done with characters already. I mean, come on! Maya stuff:
Wow, accused of murder again. Wow, kidnapped again. That's basically all she was there for for her big return =/.

Rayfa had no redeeming qualities other than the Divination Seance (which I actually really liked). Nahyuta, sadly, was basically a boring and toned down Franziska at best. He does have one of the best defeat animations in the series, though! This game also has one of my favorite anger animation shifts, and I hope everyone loved it as much as me :p. Major case 5 spoilers
...Amara's lightning dispersing the animals. And just the whole black background/white eyes thing. Really awesome. Oh, and Sarge's robot's gatling gun, haha.

Anyway, I ESPECIALLY agree about the Takumi bit. God, I miss his games =/. I'm still bitter we didn't get Great Ace Attorney. Definitely have to learn Japanese.

Ladekabel

Playing case 4 and just got the
emotional outbreak done.
Kinda disappointed
that they didn't went with Blackquill being the attorney. I like Athena but in this case she's really insufferable, always begs him for help... at least so far. On the other hand, as it stands now, they could've left out the case completely.

But Trucy has never been the suspect before, has she?

nope, never

Case 4
isn't it a little weird that Prosecutor Sad Monk flies over to the US for a low-profile noodle trial right after civil war breaks out in his country?

yeah that's pretty shitty. Could have been a great excuse to pitch Klavier against Athena or something. I'd say Blackquill too, but I honestly loved his support role in this case

LiK

Playing case 4 and just got the
emotional outbreak done.
Kinda disappointed
that they didn't went with Blackquill being the attorney. I like Athena but in this case she's really insufferable, always begs him for help... at least so far. On the other hand, as it stands now, they could've left out the case completely.

Athena also slammed the table way too often. That was beyond irritating. She barely does it as a partner but when she was the lead, the animators kept using it the table slams. Like, she's gonna break the table, lol

I did like the end where you see the true culprit without her makeup and in tears. There was some emotional gravitas to it. I liked her design after her breakdown.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Case 4 could have been really great, but they made a lot of weird choices with it.
No investigation period and only one court day. Nahyuta who served no purpose instead of some other previous Prosecutor like Klavier or hell even Edgeworth, really throw Athena off the deep end on her own, would have made far more sense for her character and placement in the game's overall story. Having Nahyuta there for for Case 2 was fine as it was Apollo facing him, but he had no connection with Athena.

The entire cast for it was great and the actual details and cause of the case were interesting, but everything was so compact and abrupt without any chance for real discovery or development seriously undermined it. It was a really tragic case at its heart and yet it was given no time at all to let that sink it and be meaningful at all.

The investigation period is a crucial part of the series and DD and especially SoJ really jettisoned it for no good reason, resulting in rather obvious consequences throughout the game.

LiK

Case 4 could have been really great, but they made a lot of weird choices with it.
No investigation period and only one court day. Nahyuta who served no purpose instead of some other previous Prosecutor like Klavier or hell even Edgeworth, really throw Athena off the deep end on her own, would have made far more sense for her character and placement in the game's overall story. Having Nahyuta there for for Case 2 was fine as it was Apollo facing him, but he had no connection with Athena.

The entire cast for it was great and the actual details and cause of the case were interesting, but everything was so compact and abrupt without any chance for real discovery or development seriously undermined it. It was a really tragic case at its heart and yet it was given no time at all to let that sink it and be meaningful at all.

The investigation period is a crucial part of the series and DD and especially SoJ really jettisoned it for no good reason, resulting in rather obvious consequences throughout the game.

yea, prosecutor choice was wrong. Should've been someone else especially in light of where the main story was going.

daxgame

But Trucy has never been the suspect before, has she?

yes, you are indeed correct, thanks for reminding me!
In that case, I guess I can tolerate that but, in all honesty, the main point of the overall case remains the same for me.

Anyway, I ESPECIALLY agree about the Takumi bit. God, I miss his games =/. I'm still bitter we didn't get Great Ace Attorney. Definitely have to learn Japanese.

I use japanese in everyday work and I still wouldn't be able to play the game, trust me. Best bet is a fan patch unless you're ready for years of studying :/

One thing in general that I really appreciate that AA5 introduced, and AA6 has carried on, is the trial climax "epiphany" segment where you try to tie the turnaround twist together. And the way especially after you figure it out it stamps each word out. It really fits the mood of the moment and gives you a strong sense of satisfaction. Not that previous games didn't have that. They had their own way of doing the same thing. But I like the added emphasis this way brings.

Agree with this

Baleoce

One thing in general that I really appreciate that AA5 introduced, and AA6 has carried on, is the trial climax "epiphany" segment where you try to tie the turnaround twist together. And the way especially after you figure it out it stamps each word out. It really fits the mood of the moment and gives you a strong sense of satisfaction. Not that previous games didn't have that. They had their own way of doing the same thing. But I like the added emphasis this way brings.

MrBadger

Case 4
isn't it a little weird that Prosecutor Sad Monk flies over to the US for a low-profile noodle trial right after civil war breaks out in his country?

Yeah, he is rather out of place in that case.
Seeing him get roasted by Blackquill was almost worth it, but I wonder if that case would have made more sense if someone like Klavier prosecuted.
Maybe case 5 spoilers but not really -
his character model is in the game for a very brief flashback.

Yeah, he is rather out of place in that case.
Seeing him get roasted by Blackquill was almost worth it, but I wonder if that case would have made more sense if someone like Klavier prosecuted.
Maybe case 5 spoilers but not really -
his character model is in the game for a very brief flashback.
I know he's met her already, but it would be interesting to see him interact with Athena too

Between that and the (Case 5 spoilers)
fact that prospagnosia comes into play
makes me think the scenario writers were inspired a lot by Spike Chunsoft. Which I guess is fair because Ace Attorney definitely influenced Danganronpa at least.

LiK

Great music too. It's always pretty climatic.

Speaking on the music, it still bums me out that the (sorry no idea about the name) budubudubudubudubudu music (This one) that plays during dark/tense moments has a different note progression to the first games Seems weird to change something that's been in all the earlier titles (up to DD) and then make it worse :(

Case 5 gotta be the longest case in the series yet, right? I'm probably
7-8h
in and it's still going lol

It's very long yeah. I started it at 5pm last night expecting to finish the game before bed, got to 1:30am and realized it wasnt happening and got some sleep.

I'm pretty deep into the last trial though so I'm hoping to wrap it up tonight.

NexusCell

I find it kind of weird (can't really think of a word here) that so many people want Great Ace Attorney when it appears to have some of the worst cases in the series. (Not Big Top or Serenade bad, but still)

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have it localized, but the impressions I've heard about the characters and the jury system make me think that it would be among the lower ranked of the AA series if it ever got localized.

Speaking on the music, it still bums me out that the (sorry no idea about the name) budubudubudubudubudu music (This one) that plays during dark/tense moments has a different note progression to the first games Seems weird to change something that's been in all the earlier titles (up to DD) and then make it worse :(
Does it? The beginnings sound the same.

I find it kind of humorous that so many people want Great Ace Attorney when it appears to have some of the worst cases in the series. (Not Big Top or Serenade bad, but still)

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have it localized, but the impressions I've heard about the characters and the jury system make me think that it would be among the lower ranked of the AA series if it ever got localized.

People always want the thing that they don't have

LiK

Yea, Case 5 is ridiculously long. It should've ended after the first trial
cuz second trial is unrelated and in a different friggin' court in a different country!
Should've been called Case 6 instead. I cannot fathom why it's still considered Case 5 except for keeping with the old games' structure. I find that silly if true.

ZeroX03

Banned
I find it kind of humorous that so many people want Great Ace Attorney when it appears to have some of the worst cases in the series. (Not Big Top or Serenade bad, but still)

A weak Ace Attorney is still a better story than 90% of other games out there. There's no bad games in the series, of course people are going to want the game. And they'd want to make up their own mind rather than go by heresay. It's not hard to understand or particularly humorous.

The English font makes it feel like a Danganronpa bit to me. Not that it's bad, just a little tonally different.

Groof

Yea, Case 5 is ridiculously long. It should've ended after the first trial
cuz second trial is unrelated and in a different friggin' court in a different country!
Should've been called Case 6 instead. I cannot fathom why it's still considered Case 5 except for keeping with the old games' structure. I find that silly if true.

I agree that they should've split it into two but
they're obviously related as one leads into the other. Would just make more sense to have them separate and Case 4 as extra DLC or somethin

Totakeke

Since when did an AA game get judged solely only by the worst case(s) that it has?

Plus the mixed impressions of case 4 here mean maybe what some people think as the worst case ever may not hold true for other people. And why is it humorous that people want to play more games in the series they like even if the game does turn out to be worse than usual?

I feel like I must have missed discussion where a consensus was reached that DGS1 is a bad game other than people occasionally claiming there is one.

LiK

they're obviously related as one leads into the other. Would just make more sense to have them separate and Case 4 as extra DLC or somethin

Yup, man, Case 4's placement def ruined what would've been a really good well paced game. Case 4 should've been 3.

Does it? The beginnings sound the same.

I might be wrong, maybe it's just me, but certainly the middle note seems a bit minor compared to the older ones. Maybe my 3DS is weird. Or just my ears :p But I felt it in DD and now feels the same thing here, like it's not quite what my brain's expecting.

MrBadger

You find it humorous that people want to play DGS? If it's the worst in the series, I'd rather find out by playing it. The import consensus on AA6 was pretty mixed too but it still surprised me in a good way.

That and bad Ace Attorney is still a decent experience. I've never put down any game in the series out of boredom.

I think thematically case 4's placement is fine. Case 3 is pretty intense so I think it's good to have a more lighthearted story before going straight into case 5. I agree that
it doesn't make sense for Sad Monk to be prosecutor, but I think I'd probably be pretty burned out if there was nothing separating case 3 from case 5.

Shengar

Just finished the game.
For the first time I feel only disappointment after playing an AA game.
AA5 didn't really convince me either but at least it had some interesting quirks

This one? It has (almost) nothing...

Where do you rank AA6 in the series after this?

You find it humorous that people want to play DGS? If it's the worst in the series, I'd rather find out by playing it. The import consensus on AA6 was pretty mixed too but it still surprised me in a good way.

That and bad Ace Attorney is still a decent experience. I've never put down any game in the series out of boredom.

I really envy your optimism. DD last case being such a slog near the end kills my interest in the series =/

LiK

Am I the only one who is a bit bummed Maya
doesnt keep her new outfit past her introduction? She reverts back to her old outfit so quickly. I loved her new outfit.

MrBadger

I really envy your optimism. DD last case being such a slog near the end kills my interest in the series =/

What's funny is my dislike of Dual Destinies only came later. I finished it and had a reasonably good time, then about a week later I was like "hm, that was actually a bit shit"

ZeroX03

Banned
Beat Case 3. You can see where it's leading but it comes together so much better.

Case 4 is good so far. Not seeing the complaints. I don't think Case 3 really ended on enough of a cliffhanger for me to desperately crave closure. It's nice to have a break from Khura'inism, I would find the game exhausting if it went from two long arc heavy foreign country cases in a row. And
Blackquill-dono
is stealing the show.

LiK

What's funny is my dislike of Dual Destinies only came later. I finished it and had a reasonably good time, then about a week later I was like "hm, that was actually a bit shit"

The overall story arc in DD had some good moments but it was def a weak entry. Case 2 was super bad as well and the lack of investigation gameplay elements really soured me on it.

The best thing about DD was the DLC Water Park case. That was really well done. Loved it.

spiritfox

I think thematically case 4's placement is fine. Case 3 is pretty intense so I think it's good to have a more lighthearted story before going straight into case 5. I agree that
it doesn't make sense for Sad Monk to be prosecutor, but I think I'd probably be pretty burned out if there was nothing separating case 3 from case 5.

Case 5
A was pretty light-hearted compared to 5B, especially with the Indiana Jones adventure in the beginning. All Case 4 did was break the flow of the story.

JimPanzer

just hit a major roadblock...case 5 spoiles

so I'm at the insight of apollos dad...from the consultation I gather it has something to do with dhurkes fingerprints...but I don't know which sensation contradicts that and I probably tried them all already lol

So real quick as I don't want to spoil myself in this thread.

I was never able to play the DLC for AA5. Will I be missing anything if I start this game without playing that?

NexusCell

A weak Ace Attorney is still a better story than 90% of other games out there. There's no bad games in the series, of course people are going to want the game. And they'd want to make up their own mind rather than go by heresay. It's not hard to understand or particularly humorous.

Since when did an AA game get judged solely only by the worst case(s) that it has?

Plus the mixed impressions of case 4 here mean maybe what some people think as the worst case ever may not hold true for other people. And why is it humorous that people want to play more games in the series they like even if the game does turn out to be worse than usual?

I feel like I must have missed discussion where a consensus was reached that DGS1 is a bad game other than people occasionally claiming there is one.

[/SPOILER]

Honesty, humorous was was probably the wrong word to use, its hard to find a word to use in this case but ultimately what I was trying to convey was how AA games that are unlocalized are usually held in much higher regard then the localized ones. (AAI2 nonwithstanding.) I've read a lot more lukeworm responses to Great Ace Attorney from people that played it, so I was just wondering how most of the people that really want it would feel if the negative impressions were correct. It's also partly because I feel a lot of the hype for it comes from the fact that it's a Takumi directed game.

Still, it's not my place to discard anyone who wants to play it, and even the worst AA game is still a pretty good one.

I was never able to play the DLC for AA5. Will I be missing anything if I start this game without playing that?

There is no connection between the AA5 DLC and AA6. But the case itself is really good, so you'll just be missing an amazing case.

LiK

DD DLC is standalone. You're not missing anything if you skip it but I recommend playing it cuz it's the best case from DD.

ZeroX03

Banned
Honesty, humorous was was probably the wrong word to use, its hard to find a word to use in this case but ultimately what I was trying to convey was how AA games that are unlocalized are usually held in much higher regard then the localized ones. (AAI2 nonwithstanding.) I've read a lot more lukeworm responses to Great Ace Attorney from people that played it, so I was just wondering how most of the people that really want it would feel if the negative impressions were correct. It's also partly because I feel a lot of the hype for it comes from the fact that it's a Takumi directed game.

Still, it's not my place to discard anyone who wants to play it, and even the worst AA game is still a pretty good one.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to say anything at all.

And yes, I'm especially interested because it's a Takumi game. I like PLvsPW more than AA5, his games have always hit the sweet spot for me.

Jamix012

just hit a major roadblock...case 5 spoiles

so I'm at the insight of apollos dad...from the consultation I gather it has something to do with dhurkes fingerprints...but I don't know which sensation contradicts that and I probably tried them all already lol

Hm, look for a reflection of something.

Totakeke

Honesty, humorous was was probably the wrong word to use, its hard to find a word to use in this case but ultimately what I was trying to convey was how AA games that are unlocalized are usually held in much higher regard then the localized ones. (AAI2 nonwithstanding.)

I don't believe anyone said anything to the effect of "DGS is obviously better, why didn't we get it instead of AA6". So I'm not sure why you think DGS is being held in higher regard other than more people vocalizing that they want the game to come over... which is obviously something you'd hear a lot more often when the game isn't getting localized.

Opa-Pa

Finished case 3 last night and it surprised me just how good it was. The high stakes in this game are crazy and that almost felt like a last case in terms or complexity. There were some of those annoying moments where I figured out what was going on too early and was unable to point it out, and one or the seances was particularly obtuse, but overall was wonderful. Quite the sad ending too, I'm loving how this game takes advantage of having 3D models to experiment with camera angles and whatnot.

Another thing that took me by surprise was Maya channeling the high priest lmao. Not only it was about time that a man was channeled in a game, but we finally see it being used to consult a victim. That was great (and hilarious).

4th case is looking like filler right out of the bat, but honestly I don't mind. As long as they're fun they can be about anything.
Plus it stars Athena and even Blackquill makes an appearance. From the promotional material to just about everything I was convinced that there were no Athena sections in the game, so I love this.

Can't say I'm not curious about learning more about Apollo's (hopefully not disappointing) past, but it's alright to take a break from Khura'in

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
After completing this game, I was more inspired to do a playthrough of Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

So far AAI2 has way less predictable stuff that AA6 IMO.

Groof

Case 5
A was pretty light-hearted compared to 5B, especially with the Indiana Jones adventure in the beginning. All Case 4 did was break the flow of the story.

Yep I agree with this. And I'm not saying this because I disliked case 4, on the contrary, I enjoyed it for what it was despite its faults. Just feels like it could've been better pacing wise.

Baleoce

After completing this game, I was more inspired to do a playthrough of Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

So far AAI2 has way less predictable stuff that AA6 IMO.

AAI2 is so good. Lovely soundtrack too. It's like the perfect game if you've been wanting more insight into Edgeworth and his ancestry.

Top Bottom