• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Firebrand

Some of these damn divination seances force me to straight up guess what the right combination is, and the end result is something that is completely illogical (to the point that I had to turn to a walkthrough to figure it out).

Hmm I never felt like I had to guess... but certainly at several points I feel like multiple items would have been correct, like in case 3 with the
two lanterns.

They seem to have realized this, because in case 5 I picked one item and was told "Well... you're getting warm... but try to refine your thinking a bit to make it definitive."

WaterAstro

One thing I don't get in the ending.

Why can't Queen Amara be Queen again? This is after they find out she's fine, but Rayfa and Sahdmadhi talk like Amara can't be Queen again.

Lusankya

Some of these damn divination seances force me to straight up guess what the right combination is, and the end result is something that is completely illogical (to the point that I had to turn to a walkthrough to figure it out).

Like what? What is completely illogical?

One thing I don't get in the ending.

Why can't Queen Amara be Queen again? This is after they find out she's fine, but Rayfa and Sahdmadhi talk like Amara can't be Queen again.

It's more like she doesn't want to. After all the years as servant she actually got used to live the more simple life.

jackdoe

Like what? What is completely illogical?
For instance, Case 5 Spoilers:
Having to choose explosion to show that the time of the minister's death was wrong. The dog bark noise was right there, it corroborated the fact that that moment occurred at 2PM by placin Albhi at the Bazaar.

I had to reset the game multiple times to figure if I chose the wrong insight.

Can anyone help me in episode 2.
I investigated the stage and spoke to roger retinz, apparently the next step is to go to the dressing room to speak to bonney but she isn't there, only athena shows up
, anybody have any ideas?

NeonZ

I don't think there was any investigation in AA5 case 4. But yeah, it really is a filler case.

Regarding 5-4,
it starts with Apollo in the court, but when it changes to Phoenix there's an investigation section added. It shares most locations and characters with 5-5 though.

jonjonaug

Having to choose explosion to show that the time of the minister's death was wrong. The dog bark noise was right there, it corroborated the fact that that moment occurred at 2PM by placin Albhi at the Bazaar.

This is a case of "multiple 'correct' solutions, but one 'best' one" that happens in AA sometimes, although I thought this was was pretty obvious compared to some of the more frustrating ones throughout the series.

Lusankya

Didn't they explain that, once you point that out?
The barking could be from any dog at any time. But the explosions are way more specific.

NexusCell

Dog bark is too general. The explosion and following laughter is more specific. In fact, I don't think they even penalize you if you choose the laughter, but point you to choosing the explosion instead.

Finished.

3-4 dethroned for me.

The twist destroyed me.
The best part of that twist was (Case 5)
Apollo noticeably sweating when he asked Ema to confirm the body, and his anguished head slam onto the desk whe it turned out to be what he has guessed. One of the roughest moments in that case.

WaterAstro

It's more like she doesn't want to. After all the years as servant she actually got used to live the more simple life.

Nah they talk like she can't rule again. It wasn't even an assumption that she can go back to ruling even during the case where Garan was threatening Rayfa's right to rule.

Groof

The best part of that twist was (6-5)
Apollo noticeably sweating when he asked Ema to confirm the body, and his anguished head slam onto the desk whe it turned out to be what he has guessed. One of the roughest moments in that case.

This + the song had me going wild

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Fuck, had no idea another game launched until I saw the eShop icon release when buying DQ7.

I loved AA1 years ago and have been meaning to play through the rest, but ugh...backlog. I have trilogy and AA5 on my 3DS waiting for me to jump in too.

mdtauk

The best part of that twist was (Case 5)

I know, I felt so sorry for
Apollo
. But also so hopeful that
He would meet his Mother, learn more about his real father, and learn he has a sister

Javier

Just started Case 5, Trial Day 2:

OH SHIIIIIT THEY PULLED A MANFRED VON KARMA WITH THE PROSECUTOR

That Queen is soooo going down...

Groof

I know, I felt so sorry for
Apollo
. But also so hopeful that
He would meet his Mother, learn more about his real father, and learn he has a sister

If the credits are anything to go by then
I'm assuming the person Phoenix is talking to is Apollo's mother. Because of that I feel like the next game is going to be heavy on Apollo's backstory and origin.

LiK

Case 5 is really great so far altho they should really call the second half Case 6. Pretty silly that it's still considered Case 5. Tradition, I guess.

GSR

If the credits are anything to go by then
I'm assuming the person Phoenix is talking to is Apollo's mother. Because of that I feel like the next game is going to be heavy on Apollo's backstory and origin.

Did you play AA4?
That's Thalassa Gramarye, Apollo's mom, and her side of things was pretty much covered in AA4.

Kay I finished case 3 today and honestly...I was kinda disappointed with it.

I saw Beh'leeb being the killer for at least one coming from a mile away, and the whole suicide thing didn't really make sense to me. I was so interested in the initial investigation, but it turned out to have a really lackluster conclusion.

Jeffrey

Its kinda weird that
Atishon
is suppose to be a parody of politicians, yet is basically the real thing these days actually in america lol.

LiK

Its kinda weird that
Atishon
is suppose to be a parody of politicians, yet is basically the real thing these days actually in america lol.

I had the exact same thought. Makes me wonder if the localization was doing his around the time of Trump.

Jeffrey

So got to case 5 court day 1... and all this would have had more impact if
phoenix wasn't looking like an amateur for most of this game. Hard to feel much urgency against him.

LiK

Case 5 final trial I assume:
whoa, Ga'ran is pretty hot in her skintight prosecutor outfit. Lol This is a pretty awesome final showdown. PW and AJ finally teaming up!

NEO0MJ

While I hear that case 4 isn't that good I like that
you play as Athena with Blackquil as your assistant. He's good people.

Am I the only one who's reminded of Gumshoe by Athena? I don't know why that is.

daxgame

Just finished the game.
For the first time I feel only disappointment after playing an AA game.
AA5 didn't really convince me either but at least it had some interesting quirks

This one? It has (almost) nothing...

First episode is okay. New environment, new situation,
DC act
, some neat ideas.
The 2nd one was a no-no for me. Rehash of old stuff,
Trucy as suspect again...
it damaged my suspension of disbelief.
I mean, this shouldn't be Princess Peach stolen by Bowser.
It just felt like "you know what? Let's take something we have already rightfully put an end on (in the AJ game), take it out of the grave, and add a "ah, by the way...".
The "by the way" obviously is the forgotten member.
It felt forced. I find it to be the most banal way to set up scenarios, like when a secret brother comes up. Please.

The third case was okay... I liked the resolution and it was complex enough.
Maya being the accused once again felt a bit stale but oh well.
However, the prosecutor also felt forced.
and, Nahyuta is still Apollo's brother.
Even if
he has his "reasons"
it just felt stupid and trite with all the insults. It's funny the first time, after a while it's just not believable. Overall, still a case I enjoyed.

The 4th case is easily the worst case in the whole series for me. Yawn. After a while, I just kept B pressed. :/. It was incredibly short (but, given how awful it was, it might not have been a bad thing), and incredibly predictable from the way the characters were presented. There isn't a single thing I liked, I guess.

The last case was good. It reminded me of
the last case of AAI1 in its resolution, which I always felt it was great.
It's true that in general all the final cases are great, the last case of AA5 being my only exception with its stupidity destroying my suspension of disbelief.
I was a bit disappointed that it did not get into
Apollo's "real" family\past but I guess they're trying to not use all the bullets... I guess we'll find out about the mother one day. Things like Apollo vs Wright and starting it as a civil case were cool ideas. Maya being hostage was Not, we have already seen that, jesus. The authors should've thought about involving Pearl more for a change, especially now that she's older. That was a waste.

The DLC was also a piece of shit. Nothing more, nothing less. It costed 4€ and I finished it in 20 minutes!! Give me my money back, Capcom! The AA5 DLC was great value instead....
edit: wait, I just found out that the "real" DLC case is supposed to be "Turnabout Time Traveler". Except nothing like that shows up to me (Europe). Wtf???

I won't even get into how embarassing this whole "America" has turned out because it's old news, though I felt it was particularly embarassing in this case since there was also Japan involved (with the
Founder's Orb)
and the rakugo case. Thanks again for the hamburgers, Capcom localization director (who, let's not forget, still pats herself on the back for the great decision).

tl;dr
Dear Capcom,
Please get Takumi back where he belongs, ffs. I ended up liking 3 cases here with the first one being far from memorable anyway... I reckon that the more you do the harder it becomes to not get stale, that much is clear and it's not a trivial thing - it tends to be forgotten. But, I was still disappointed.
I wish Dai Gyakuten was localized. That looked way more interesting...

OMG they brought back the ability to Examine every scene, and not just crime scenes!

I already knew this game was better than the trash that was 5, but that just confirmed it.

Bought into this yesterday despite potential misgivings after feeling DD was a definite step back (significantly more linear than prior entries and the writing felt worse) and the Culture change reminding me of Vs Layton, which I also had issues with.

Hopefully I'll fall in on the 'return to form' side, but either way I kinda want to support the series in general so am looking forward to the adventure, whatever it is. So far I'm in court and it seems fine.

Aside:
Gumshoe's never coming back, is he :(

TEJ

I just started the game and while i'm somewhat enjoying it, the first case is dragging on and on and on and on...

Does the pacing get better later on?

The DLC was also a piece of shit. Nothing more, nothing less. It costed 4€ and I finished it in 20 minutes!! Give me my money back, Capcom! The AA5 DLC was great value instead....
edit: wait, I just found out that the "real" DLC case is supposed to be "Turnabout Time Traveler". Except nothing like that shows up to me (Europe). Wtf???

calm down, there's two "theather" DLC and the real DLC comes after these, so it's next week

LiK

OMG they brought back the ability to Examine every scene, and not just crime scenes!

I already knew this game was better than the trash that was 5, but that just confirmed it.

not only that but they actually let you know what you examined already and they let you know when you examined everything that is crucial. it's great. i also love that you can sometimes reexamine the same place and still get new dialogue occasionally. Discovered some funny dialogue and easter eggs that way. i'm glad it's back. can't help but feel this was a result of feedback from what AA5 did.

daxgame

calm down, there's two "theather" DLC and the real DLC comes after these, so it's next week

I'm calm, I just learnt the "first check the internet" lesson this time.
I was mad because I spent 4€ for such tiny content while I thought it was going to be similar to AA5. (Btw, I don't recall, at least in Europe, seeing the 2nd theather DLC but I could be wrong)

Now I'll have to splash 5€ again for the other DLC, hopefully it's good...

I'm calm, I just learnt the "first check the internet" lesson this time.
I was mad because I spent 4€ for such tiny content while I thought it was going to be similar to AA5. (Btw, I don't recall, at least in Europe, seeing the 2nd theather DLC but I could be wrong)

Now I'll have to splash 5€ again for the other DLC, hopefully it's good...

The 2nd theather comes this week, they are releasing it in a week by week basis

Lusankya

nice, will buy both the theater DLCs later. no launch discounts eh

They were basically free (included with pre-orders) in Japan, but I guess Capcom USA/EU just want to make some more money out of it.
I do want the themes and the mini cases and I am also willing to pay for it, but I mostly pay the price to support the series.

LiK

They were basically free (included with pre-orders) in Japan, but I guess Capcom USA/EU just want to make some more money out of it.
I do want the themes and the mini cases and I am also willing to pay for it, but I mostly pay the price to support the series.

yea, same. will buy anyway. hell, i've imported the e-Capcom LEs for the last 6 games and i can't even play them. lol beautiful collectibles tho.

Morts

Case 4
isn't it a little weird that Prosecutor Sad Monk flies over to the US for a low-profile noodle trial right after civil war breaks out in his country?

Top Bottom