• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

MrBadger

The overall story arc in DD had some good moments but it was def a weak entry. Case 2 was super bad as well and the lack of investigation gameplay elements really soured me on it.

The best thing about DD was the DLC Water Park case. That was really well done. Loved it.

It did have plenty of stuff I liked in it like Blackquill, the case 3 villain, the case 5
"taking mommy apart"
reveal and the DLC case. But I'd say it's my least favourite just because of how many problems I have with it, and how it set me up to be severely disappointed by 6 as well.

Case 5
A was pretty light-hearted compared to 5B, especially with the Indiana Jones adventure in the beginning. All Case 4 did was break the flow of the story.

It's not like
case 4 happens after some huge reveal or anything. I don't think it breaks the story's flow too much. The game could have done without it or made it DLC, but I liked it, it's not too long and I didn't have to pay extra for it, so I've got no issues with it existing in the way it does. Splitting up the two "filler" cases with case 3 helped the pacing more than ruining it in my opinion.

On the DGS thing, I admit I've convinced myself that I don't /need/ it due to its mixed reception and the fact that we may never get it officially, but in the end I still want it.

Ace Attorney is one of those series where the games' perceived quality is of little importance to me when deciding if I want them or not... Because I always do. I've never really been disappointed by an AA game, and even when there's a bad case I still have fun. Plus Takumi's games have something special about them that is missing in the newer games by the different team... I adored Ghost Trick and PLvsAA and I'm sure there's a lot to love in DGS.

Not to mention that I rarely agree with these games' reception anyway. I loved PLvsAA, thought DD is one of the best in the series and I'm having a great time with AA6. If anything the mixed impressions lowered my expectations and made it easier for the game to surprise me with how good it is haha.

It being written by Takumi is a big factor in why I want it. His games just seem to have a different style to them that I usually end up enjoying more. Yamazaki games seem a little more formulaic. They have great twists and characters too but there's always stuff like an obligatory villain transformation, or an obligatory unsolved murder case from years ago. Stuff that started in Takumi games but became part of a formula when Yamazaki took over. That and it being an entire series of games means we're not really just missing out on one middling game, we're missing out on a potentially great series.

Opa-Pa

On the DGS thing, I admit I've convinced myself that I don't /need/ it due to its mixed reception and the fact that we may never get it officially, but in the end I still want it.

Ace Attorney is one of those series where the games' perceived quality is of little importance to me when deciding if I want them or not... Because I always do. I've never really been disappointed by an AA game, and even when there's a bad case I still have fun. Plus Takumi's games have something special about them that is missing in the newer games by the different team... I adored Ghost Trick and PLvsAA and I'm sure there's a lot to love in DGS.

Not to mention that I rarely agree with these games' reception anyway. I loved PLvsAA, thought DD is one of the best in the series and I'm having a great time with AA6. If anything the mixed impressions lowered my expectations and made it easier for the game to surprise me with how good it is haha.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The English font makes it feel like a Danganronpa bit to me. Not that it's bad, just a little tonally different.
Totally. The font and just the whole segment itself reminds me of the last thing you do in every Danganronpa case -- put together how the crime was committed by building that comic strip.

I've never played those games, but I may give them a go after a finish this.
It's a fun series. I wouldn't rate them better than AA, but definitely worth a try. The main meat of the game is very similar to the court sections in AA. There's more danger and more emotionally evocative than AA since you're meant to build dating sim-esque relationships with your fellow classmates just to have them possibly murdered by the next day.

It's much, more much anime though.

One thing in general that I really appreciate that AA5 introduced, and AA6 has carried on, is the trial climax "epiphany" segment where you try to tie the turnaround twist together. And the way especially after you figure it out it stamps each word out. It really fits the mood of the moment and gives you a strong sense of satisfaction. Not that previous games didn't have that. They had their own way of doing the same thing. But I like the added emphasis this way brings.

Oh yeah, this reminds me of the logic system in AAI and it's definitely the best addition to the series, even if it's just for flair. I love it a lot.

MrBadger

Totally. The font and just the whole segment itself reminds me of the last thing you do in every Danganronpa case -- put together how the crime was committed by building that comic strip.

It reminds me more of those parts in DR2 where you're surfing inside the protagonist's mind. Either way, something from Danganronpa. Not that there's anything wrong with that

Jeffrey

Does the game explain when case 4 happens? I assume its sometime after 2, but would be weird for it to happen after 3, unless Khura'in is somewhere nearby like mexico.

Sagely

Finished case 3 and am a little way into case 4.

Case 3 felt really, really long and I struggled with some parts of the second day trial.
Nahyuta and the Khura'inese gallery
were just downright unpleasant to Phoenix and co. to the point where it was making me uncomfortable. As an interesting and challenging case I loved it though. I kept guessing incorrectly who was responsible and never expected the
High Priest's death to be a suicide
. Lots of emotional impact and big reveals. I also enjoyed how closely this case tied into
the Khura'in justice system to motivate the characters to overthrow it
. The Thought Route process is very well presented to be climactic and exciting, and the case ended on a wonderfully tense note.

...which is immediately deflated by case 4. I'm not very far in, but have to agree with those who think it interrupts the pacing. As for the case itself I'm enjoying it mostly for (assistant character)
Blackquill: I miss him SO much. It's glorious the way he burns Nahyuta "Sad Monk" and it reminds me how much I liked him as a prosecutor in AA5
. Also (witness)
the pink haired lady (Gairu?)
reminds me a lot of
April May from the first game
. I think I'll continue to enjoy this case for the aforementioned assistant character, but really am waiting for it all to get real in case 5.

General thoughts up to case 4: Apollo and Athena seem to be
sidelined in this. I wouldn't mind some more of Apollo, but Athena feels pointless so far; just a punchline for Blackquill and Nahyuta.
I'm enjoying the game in spite of this, but it's still a shame.

Jeffrey

AA6 and some of AA5 felt like capcom taking feedback of apollo getting sidelined in his game...

hope they listen to the audience complaining about athena getting gimped.

LiK

AA6 and some of AA5 felt like capcom taking feedback of apollo getting sidelined in his game...

not just Athena but
Pearls
was nothing more than a cameo in AA6. so disappointed. AA7 needs a full blown case with Athena and
Pearls
teaming up.

Baleoce

not just Athena but
Pearls
was nothing more than a cameo in AA6. so disappointed. AA7 needs a full blown case with Athena and
Pearls
teaming up.

On a semi side note at the end of 1-5
Lana tells Ema that once she's finished her sentence and if she's allowed back into the field, she'd like to work with her sister.
I hope they end up doing that eventually.

NEO0MJ

Finished case 4. I'll leave 5 for the weekend.

General thoughts up to case 4: Apollo and Athena seem to be
sidelined in this. I wouldn't mind some more of Apollo, but Athena feels pointless so far; just a punchline for Blackquill and Nahyuta.
I'm enjoying the game in spite of this, but it's still a shame.

Yeah, more so than even DD. Case 4 is mostly about
Athena's trying to prove herself and overcome her inexperience and young age compared to two veterans in the field. While Phoenix and Apollo were also fresh they seemed to have had a good deal of experience in court before taking on their own case and had support from their mentors along the way. Athena's still fresh from school and only has a dick, grumpy, weabo prosecutor at her side :p

LiK

Finished case 4. I'll leave 5 for the weekend.

Athena's trying to prove herself and overcome her inexperience and young age compared to two veterans in the field. While Phoenix and Apollo were also fresh they seemed to have had a good deal of experience in court before taking on their own case and had support from their mentors along the way. Athena's still fresh from school and only has a dick, grumpy, weabo prosecutor at her side :p

which gives
Athena much more of a chance to be the star of the next game since inexperience seems to be what makes the trials better when you face a tougher opponent.

Opa-Pa

Case 3 felt really, really long and I struggled with some parts of the second day trial.
Nahyuta and the Khura'inese gallery
were just downright unpleasant to Phoenix and co. to the point where it was making me uncomfortable.

Yeah I thought they went a little too far with that too. I mean I'm okay with them being against lawyers and I guess the gallery being unfair,
but Nahyuta being so aggressive and having the judge literally laughing at Phoenix's statements being refuted felt of bad taste, especially when they joked about him being a "dead walking lawyer", yikes. I seriously thought at least the judge would respect him a bit more after the first case.

At least even Rayfa since to be having a change of heart, so I hope it gets better in case 5.

Sagely

Hahaha the last part of your spoilered bit, so true :D You're right, there's a lot of potential with her in that sense that could be explored to good effect.
Yeah I thought they went a little too far with that too. I mean I'm okay with them being against lawyers and I guess the gallery being unfair,
but Nahyuta being so aggressive and having the judge literally laughing at Phoenix's statements being refuted felt of bad taste, especially when they joked about him being a "dead walking lawyer", yikes. I seriously thought at least the judge would respect him a bit more after the first case.

At least even Rayfa since to be having a change of heart, so I hope it gets better in case 5.
Completely agreed, poor taste is exactly right. It went far, far beyond making the point. I'm also quite pleased about the last part and look forward to seeing how that progresses. At this point I'm expecting/hoping for case 5 to shake things up a lot in order to improve that situation.

Jeffrey

yeah, i play ace attorney games for dumb puns and silly animations, didn't except to flashback to some bad times during grade school theater lol.

Glad I wasn't the only one that was getting a bit uncomfortable with case 1 and 3.

was dreading that case 4 was going down that hole too.
So glad samurai bro was there.

Groof

I was actually quite ok with this.
The fact that it was so harsh and made you as a player feel uncomfortable - which I certainly did at parts - just further pushed how bad things had become in their system against lawyers. Personally it just made me want to prove everyone wrong that much more, and it felt doubly satisfactory to win the cases.

AA6 feels one Apollo case away from being an Apollo Justice 2, honestly. I've been surprised at how much of him is in the game and how much character development he's gotten. Pleasant surprise, for sure.

Finished Case 3 which was fantastic. I'm never really good at figuring out these cases in advance so although I can always guess who's involved in the murders because there's always only like 3 possible candidates, I was very surprised by the overall course of that trial.

Onto Case 4 now which I keep hearing is bad. But Athena and Blackquill are there so that's something for me to enjoy. Hell, I've seen a lot more negativity about this game in general than positive but I've been enjoying it.

Just finished the game last night, and I just gotta say that being able to go into the options in the save menu to change the skip method from "read" to "all" is the best thing ever.

Overall I think this game is above 4 and 5 in entertainment value. I'm not sure about how I feel about Insights as a whole, but it didn't really detract from the experience so I'm good with that.

Jeffrey

how do you be positive about a game that is fairly 'negative' in tone :p

The game would be half in length without all the insults everyone throws at you every other line.

KNT-Zero

Guys, I just got my 3DS back and got an itch to try this game, but... 25 pounds (UK) could be a bit jumping the gun for me.

Is the entry price worth it? Or should I wait for a discount?

This is considering that I was glad AA5 launched with a discount from the get-go, as the story was far inferior than AA4 and AAI1.

Any advice is appreciated!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Guys, I just got my 3DS back and got an itch to try this game, but... 25 pounds (UK) could be a bit jumping the gun for me.

This is considering that I was glad AA5 launched with a discount from the get-go, as the story was far inferior than AA4 and AAI1.

This is the best game of the new trilogy despite its flaws. First case drags a lot, but don't let it put you off. Definitely worth it, IMO.

Well, it's a lot better than AA5

NexusCell

Better then AJ, AA5, AAI, and AA2.

D-Man

Finished Case 4 and I didn't think it was as bad as people say. Having Athena and
Simon
take on the case together was really fun.

Definitely think this is better than AAI. JFA, DD, and AJ. We'll see where I'll rank it once I'm done with Case 5.

Doorman

For the folks complaining about Athena seeming to get sidelined or how helpless she seems, I agreed with this to an extent, but it pays to keep in mind that she's also starting off her official law career at a markedly younger age than Phoenix or Apollo did. Apollo was already younger than Phoenix was at 22, and in AA6 Athena's still only 19. Additional inexperience on her part compared to either of them should be kind of expected.
It likely gets lost in the shuffle considering that the series has already had a history of "young genius" folks cropping up, particularly in the prosecutor's department with the likes of Edgeworth, Franziska, and Klavier, but aside from her ability to use the Mood Matrix, Athena was never really billed with that same level of expectations. I assume that an eventual AA7 will (hopefully) end up seeing a good deal of growth in her.

I actually finished this game last night, but it was so late that I didn't want to take the time to put my thoughts down before getting to sleep. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed this more than I expected to from the outset, as I felt pretty dubious about the inclusion of Khura'in and the doubling down on the mystical/spiritual aspects of things. Maybe my impressions of things are just mistaken, but I feel like this game overall suffered from kind of a lack of witnesses overall, especially in the later cases where the list of potential suspects never seems to grow to larger than one or two. And that's a shame, because a number of the new faces to show up I happened to wind up liking a lot. Tons of spirit and humor were packed into the animations this time around. Seances worked well enough as a new courtroom mechanic, but honestly I think thematically I still preferred the Japanifornia cases over the Khura'in ones, if only because the general tone in those trials got really exasperating as more and more happened.

This carried into what I still think is probably the weakest single component of the game: Prosecutor Sahdmadhi. Easily my least favorite prosecutor of the series. His schtick made sense within the context of the Khura'in court, where blatantly insulting defense attorneys would be common practice and he wouldn't even need to argue cases very strongly since the presumption of guilt from seances was there, but as soon as you take him out of that and throw him into the Japanifornia cases it all just falls apart. He sure doesn't have much of an international attitude for being such a renowned "international prosecutor," and most of the third-party talk meant to build him up (particularly his ability to read the flow of trials, and mentioning how diligent he is in his pre-trial studies on topics the case relates to) never seems to come to fruition in any meaningful way. He slams beads, he claps, he calls you putrid...and that seems to be the entirety of his game plan. He never feels like a genuine threat, nor does he ever come off as particularly interesting.

There are a lot of directions a potential AA7 can go now. A lot will come down to what elements of the series the team is willing to leave behind, and what they want to stick with moving forward. I suppose the question of whether Divination Seances return will have a big impact on that decision.

Opa-Pa

For the folks complaining about Athena seeming to get sidelined or how helpless she seems, I agreed with this to an extent, but it pays to keep in mind that she's also starting off her official law career at a markedly younger age than Phoenix or Apollo did. Apollo was already younger than Phoenix was at 22, and in AA6 Athena's still only 19. Additional inexperience on her part compared to either of them should be kind of expected.

Yeah actually I complained a lot about this because I forgot how young she is. When I got to case 2 and read her profile I was surprised she's just 19, it made sense after that. Of course I still look forward to her being developed further in future games.

Kyolux

How long is
the trial part in khura'in
compared to
the one in Japamerica
in episode 5?

I'm about to start it and kind of want to have enough time to play through it in one or two play sessions, but I need to plan ahead for that.

Athena is 19, while Pearl is 18.

Just think about that for a minute.

Yeah that's shocking! Also Trucy is younger than Pearl too. (17)

LiK

Omg, Case 5 is awesome but holy shit it's long. Def should've been Case 6 lol

And wow,
Amara is a gorgeous character. Goddamn.

Kneefoil

Better then AJ, AA5, AAI, and AA2.

I'd personally remove AJ and AAI from that list. AJ is just barely above this one, and AAI makes it easily to top 3 AA games - at least based on what I've played of it so far. I'm currently near the end of Case 4 in that game, so unless Case 5 is a total mess, the ranking's probably going to stay up there.

Haven't played PLvPW, Great Ace Attorney or Investigations 2 yet.

LiK

I'd personally remove AJ and AAI from that list. AJ is just barely above this one, and AAI makes it easily to top 3 AA games - at least based on what I've played of it so far. I'm currently near the end of Case 4 in that game, so unless Case 5 is a total mess, the ranking's probably going to stay up there.

Haven't played PLvPW, Great Ace Attorney or Investigations 2 yet.

PLvPW was super disappointing. I didn't like it. AAI2 was awesome. will probably never get to play Dai

Luigi87

Currently in episode 3... The line from Maya

"Sorry, I guess I've outgrown that stepladder argument we always have..." that broke my heart.

Hey i just started and have a question:

is Polly the brother of Trucy? cause in the case he's talking like poor Trucy she been trying to be strong and not cry but then he remarks that she's still just a child. huh? i thought he knew they were related... but it's been awhile since i last picked up apollo justice

Grexeno

Hey i just started and have a question:

is Polly the brother of Trucy? cause in the case he's talking like poor Trucy she been trying to be strong and not cry but then he remarks that she's still just a child. huh? i thought he knew they were related... but it's been awhile since i last picked up apollo justice
Yes but they don't know.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
How long is the trial for Ch 2? I want to get to a good stopping point before SMT4:a comes out tomorrow and I want to know if I can start and finish it tonight.

Nope, Trucy is mine.

So is Pearl.

And Ema.
Trucy is 17, man! (I know that's of age in some places but still)

Ema though, mm.

skye-glasses%28e%29.gif

Top Bottom