• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Jeffrey

its weird because i swear i 'collapsed' the first time that animation happened, thought he needed cpr or something lol. Guess they can use it for any situation.

kinda wish
blackquill
is around all the time, or at least give phoenix and co, some balls to snap back a bit at the shithead nahyuta's insults.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Placement of case 4 as 2 without adjustments on the prosecutor side would make prosecutor sad monk look even more pathetic.

In my narrative re-arrangement I posted earlier in this thread somewhere (with 4 as 1 or maaaybe 2; prefer it as 1), I also imagined the prosecutor being weirder and more mysterious. Ideally, I'd have played up that "foresee the future of the trial" stuff they mentioned waaaay more. I'd have liked him finishing sentences, calling witnesses and presenting the counterpoint before you've even spoken, etc.

WaterAstro

Case 5: oh wow, did they improve
Pearl's design even more than AA5. She looks even cuter
or maybe I'm misremembering. :p

Whoa,
she's 18 now?amazing how even a game can make one feel old....

I'm pretty sure it's the same one from Dual Destinies. It's only been a year since then I believe.

Pearl is always cute!

Doorman

Well, I am....some unknown amount of distance into what seems to be the final trial. It sure has that "final case in the game" feel going for it in a number of ways, but so far I still have a lot of doubts about the particular way this has been presented. I feel a bit like they're going too far actually in the number of ridiculous reveals they're trying to pull all at once.

Unfortunately I feel a little stuck at this point. I'm absolutely confident that I know what the next "big twist" is going to be, but it's one of those situations where figuring out exactly which piece of evidence is meant to prompt the theory feels really loosely-defined. I feel like I've made more mistakes during this game compared to Dual Destinies, but I'm not sure if that's because the scenarios are actually more challenging or the solutions are just more vague. There seems to be more reliance here on "guess the main character's potential train of thought" than I recall in prior titles.

WaterAstro

Well Case 5 finally had the insane twists needed to spice things up.

I really have no idea why Case 4 even exists.

There were two cases in Case 5. It was also super long.

It feels like this AA took a lot of ideas from previous AA, like Maya's abduction from AA2, the Kurain incident in AA2, the channeling stuff from AA3, and Case 2 felt like an extension of AA4.

I don't feel like it was a great AA because the prosecution was weak as hell compared to Miles Edgeworth, but it was decent with a great end.

Velcro Fly

Enjoyed Case 1. The hippie Jesus looking guitar freak was an interesting character

Case 2 was pretty cool. I love those characters so I'm glad that case exists.

Case 3 was decent. It really picked up during
the second day of investigation and the second day of trial.

Case 4 I already feel like is going to be a slog to get through. I'm at the part now where
Blackquill gets pissed and joins you.
Really hard to be lukewarm on something when Dragon Quest VII is just sitting in my card slot begging to be played.

Definitely feel like the game is on par with Dual Destinies at least.

Debirudog

I find
Simon's role
in Case 4 to be the redeeming factor for me. Otherwise, they really should've just split a part of Case 5 into serprate cases.

Overall though, I find this game to be much tighter and satisfying to play through than DD.
A great send off to Apollo.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Finally made it to Case 5.

The doctor's place was a pretty good nostalgia trip.

Because it was Kurain Village or was there something specific about his office that was nostalgic? I thought the doctor's house was entirely new (minus the urn that was a nice throwback).

NEO0MJ

In the later part of case 3 and I love the part where
Trust in Me and the Judge are talking about how they hope to be channelled by people with good hair.

spiritfox

Because it was Kurain Village or was there something specific about his office that was nostalgic? I thought the doctor's house was entirely new (minus the urn that was a nice throwback).

Not just the urn, but also the wallscroll and the statue (which were part of 3-5).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Not just the urn, but also the wallscroll and the statue (which were part of 3-5).

Ooooh, I knew those looked familiar but I couldn't remember why. I need to play Trilogy as a refresher.

EDIT: Thinking about that urn just made me sad, like always. All I remember about it is Pearl messing up with putting it back together and not realizing it. Stuff like that with kids breaks my heart for whatever reason.

Just finished this game, it tooks me like 35 hours to finish which I think is way too much for a episode that has such shallow cases with sometimes a lot of unexplained things like in case 1, or 2 or even 5. They are too many returning characters for little new interesting characters at a point it kinda spoils the fun of finding the true culprit of this case since you basically just choose between the two only new characters for this case.

Can't say I'm disappointed, I knew it wouldn't be a great ace attorney since it looks like AA5 with a different setting and cast but I regret playing it especially with all the time it took to finish it.

selo

Pohlunka! Dropped case 4 two days ago for some 15 hours of dq7, but I just finished it a few hours ago.

Case 4 felt pretty underwhelming and very long for what it was, like others gave said, this wouldve been better being case 2.

Case 5 pending, but so far I think I do like it better than dual destinies, but overall, these 3ds games feel way lighter and sillier than the original trilogy, these feel more like Apollo justice games.

Pehesse

Finished it a few days ago, and overall really liked it, but I have to agree with the comments about the killers being way too easy to figure out from the very start of the cases. I don't know if it's an issue with our experience with the games themselves or their tropes, or if they're indeed more telegraphed than in previous entries, but it felt less surprising to figure out "who" it was (or "how" the crime was done since that also was generally obvious), than to find out the precise weak spot that'd make the true culprit's argument crumble. In fact, I'd say that's my main criticism with the game: the "logic line" segment from AA5 is something I ADORED, and I was always taken aback by the revelation it put to light in every one's of AA5 case's, whereas here I always knew what it was getting at ahead of time. AA5 felt more like a game about outlandish revelations (sometimes overly so, to the detriment of credibility), where here it was more of a "connect the dots" exercise where I always felt two steps ahead of everyone in the courtroom. I like it more when I'm as much in the dark as Phoenix is!

(though I'll admit: I didn't see
"Dhurke is dead"
coming until pretty far into Case 5, and that played into a nice twist on the classic locked room mystery)

The other point of criticism I'd have is the OST: I'm reading here many praise it for being one of the best of the series, and I'm disappointed that I'm just not hearing it. I agree that the "court exposition" theme is pretty sweet, but overall, I found the music lost in melody strength by covering them in too many instrumental layers. I've been replaying AA5 right after it to check, and I'm definitely a bigger fan of that one's soundtrack, especially Athena's themes and the overall Pursuit theme, mainly due to the instrumentalization (and nothing beats AA1/AA3 sound for me).

And finally, yeah, Nahyuta just wasn't very interesting as an opponent. Predictable character arc, too. In fact, that's probably why I like Case 4 so much: seeing
Blackquill
again, and having him expand on his character a bit further was a delight!

But in spite of all of that criticism... I still found the game to be an enjoyable ride! I'm just not sure I want to tackle the DLC right away, when it was a no-brainer after AA5.

Lusankya

They are too many returning characters for little new interesting characters at a point it kinda spoils the fun of finding the true culprit of this case since you basically just choose between the two only new characters for this case.

Finished it a few days ago, and overall really liked it, but I have to agree with the comments about the killers being way too easy to figure out from the very start of the cases. I don't know if it's an issue with our experience with the games themselves or their tropes, or if they're indeed more telegraphed than in previous entries, but it felt less surprising to figure out "who" it was (or "how" the crime was done since that also was generally obvious)

AA never was about the "whodunnit", but always about the "why" and "how".
I mean DGS has only new characters and it's in the same situation as AA6 that you don't have a lot of possible culprits to choose from. E.g. in case 5 of DGS you will immediately know who is the culprit once you see them.

In all other games the identity of the killer was always pretty clear from the moment they were shown. AA mysteries aren't like Agatha Christie mysteries where you have a lot of suspects.

@Blackquill: There aren't more returning characters than what we had e.g. in T&T. And most of them are just necessary because they belong to the main group.

Pehesse

AA never was about the "whodunnit", but always about the "why" and "how".
I mean DGS has only new characters and it's in the same situation as AA6 that you don't have a lot of possible culprits to choose from. E.g. in case 5 of DGS you will immediately know who is the culprit once you see them.

In all other games the identity of the killer was always pretty clear from the moment they were shown. AA mysteries aren't like Agatha Christie mysteries where you have a lot of suspects.

It may never have been about the "whodunnit" to you, but that doesn't mean the question wasn't still hanging in the air to some extent. Think back to AA1, 2 or 3 - did you know who was the culprit right off the bat in each and every case? The way they were written implied it was part of the intended mystery (thinking back to AA3-2 here, but 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 2-3, etc... also apply).

I agree it was never *the* central focus at any point in the series, but it still was an integral part of the overall mystery in the earlier games. That's why 1-1 and 1-2 were always so decried in comparison to the rest: because the culprit was made obvious right off the bat. Here, we're basically at this level of exposure throughout the entire game (and apparently, in DGS too from what you say, though I haven't played it).

I believe there's a definite change in writing accountable for that shift in focus, I simply wonder if it's intentional or just the result of having to write similarly woven mystery after another.

Zalman

Just finished Case 4. Probably the weakest so far, but I enjoyed it.
I'm glad Athena at least got her own case, and it wasn't as predictable as I initially thought it would be.

So far I'm very happy with this game. I played the beginning of Case 5 and
it starts off very interesting. It was surprising to me that I was playing as Apollo, but I'm sure Wright will take over later which is fine.

Kalor

I got up to the second day trial in Case 5 and I've really been enjoying this case so far but I could say that for all the cases in the game. Case 4 could have been earlier but I've been playing the game in bursts so it didn't feel like it disrupted the pacing that much.

Lusankya

It may never have been about the "whodunnit" to you, but that doesn't mean the question wasn't still hanging in the air to some extent. Think back to AA1, 2 or 3 - did you know who was the culprit right off the bat in each and every case?

1-3 Once Dee appears you know it's her, it's just she appears so late in the case
1-4 There are basically only three other characters and Lotta is obviously just a witness. While it's hard to solve the actual mystery, there aren't many characters to choose from.
1-5 Gant is pretty obvious, once he appears.

2-1 is shown in the very beginning
2-2 Only two possibilities and actually both are guilty.
2-3 Same as 1-3 the true culprit is only shown late in the case and by then it's obvious.
2-4 DeKiller is shown very early on and you know there is a client. There are only two other characters who could be the client and it's soon crystal clear it can't be Adrian.

3-1 There only is one potential suspect
3-2 There are only two suspects, but Desirée is clearly not the one.
3-3 Is shown right in the beginning
3-4 There is only one other character
3-5 Only Pearl and Godot were at the other side of the bridge, so unless somebody thinks Pearl could be the murderer...

LiK

Case 5 trial: OMG
Armie Buff is too adorable. I was expecting a kid but not a girl and I love her holding her drone. She looks like she's from one of those military moe animes
lol

Groof

Case 5 trial: OMG
Armie Buff is too adorable. I was expecting a kid but not a girl and I love her holding her drone. She looks like she's from one of those military moe animes
lol

It's funny, somewhere along the way
the thought that it was a girl struck me but I brushed it off like what does that even matter. She was deffo too cute tho

While these aren't exactly wrong, quite a few of them tend to take some post-play assumptions. Some cases could have additional characters appear later yet you take it as obvious that none will. Some characters are "obviously not the culprit" but they honestly shouldn't, and on this list you are conveniently ignoring when culprit actively denies such assumptions. (Fake example: in case X-5 it's obviously Phoenix who did it since no one else fits on the last day, yet in X-4...1 you don't even count Phoenix since Phoenix wouldn't kill anyone and you play as him occasionally... just like in X-5.)

Kazerei

Banned
I just bought the “Phoenix Wright: Asinine Attorney” short story and theme DLC, and I honestly regret it so much. I knew it would be short, but it's not even 10 minutes long and isn't really that interesting. And the pixel theme is kind of ugly. Would not recommend. Just wait for the full-length DLC case "Turnabout Time Traveler" which should be released on Sept 29.

Lusankya

While these aren't exactly wrong, quite a few of them tend to take some post-play assumptions. Some cases could have additional characters appear later yet you take it as obvious that none will. Some characters are "obviously not the culprit" but they honestly shouldn't, and on this list you are conveniently ignoring when culprit actively denies such assumptions. (Fake example: in case X-5 it's obviously Phoenix who did it since no one else fits on the last day, yet in X-4...1 you don't even count Phoenix since Phoenix wouldn't kill anyone and you play as him occasionally... just like in X-5.)

One of the users I quoted mostly complained there weren't enough new characters/possible suspects, but that was always true for the series. So even when you didn't know the culprit right away there only were a very limited number of possible suspects.

I just bought the “Phoenix Wright: Asinine Attorney” short story and theme DLC, and I honestly regret it so much. I knew it would be short, but it's not even 10 minutes long and isn't really that interesting. And the pixel theme is kind of ugly. Would not recommend. Just wait for the full-length DLC case "Turnabout Time Traveler" which should be released on Sept 29.

Aww, I heard some good things about it, but yeah the price seems way too much, even with the theme.

I'm low on funds, so I was waiting for more impressions.

Groof

It definitely feels overpriced for what it is, but I thought it was p fun.

Yeah, the whole joke it runs on is absolutely ludicrous, especially since it actually corresponds to some of the weirder pre-release theories about the main plot, but for that price you can get a good indie game on PC and probably on Nintendo systems too while the whole thing is really, really, really short. Structural spoilers, I guess:
A quick intro - that is full of character introductions for people who launched it directly after 6-1 AND didn't play earlier games because of course it is - a single cross-examination - though not an instant one - with one prosecutor ping-pong sequence and the outro. Also, hey, don't launch this before 6-5, it's way funnier after it.

TrueBlue

DLC case is out? I'll grab it after I finish the main game.

No. The main DLC case - the equivalent to that dolphin case in DD - isn't out until the 29th. There are a couple of non-canon scenarios - Asinine Attorney - that last around 10 to 20 minutes. One was released this week and another next week.

Finished the game. Kinda disappointed in the overarching plot, so much so that looking back, the two unrelated cases (2 and 4) were the ones I enjoyed the most.

I'm starting to think the title of this game is more clever than I previously thought.

Also (case 5 spoilers):

Dhurke is a One Piece character, yeah? He even uses his Conqueror's Haki on Atishon.

Goodstyle

Finally finished the game! Thoughts on each case:

Case 1 was fine, a bit too long though, and the villain was missing... something. Will cut it some slack though since it's a first case.

Case 2 is arguably the best case 2 in the series, on par or even better than the stolen turnabout. The villain of that case was incredible, and it was just so much fun to investigate and got to trial with.

Case 3 was awful, plain and simple. Way too long, and it was ruined by the fact that they wanted us to sympathize with culprits that aren't sympathetic at all. The lengths they went to basically try and kill Maya and Phoenix was unforgivable to me. Pure scum.

Case 4 was cute and short, and it fit with this game's theme of legacies.

Case 5A was a lot of fun, mainly because of the amazingly funny villain it had. ("I am not a crook")

Case 5B was very emotional and mostly came together well, though with a few issues of note, like how Nahyuta never became an interesting character and still came off like a little bitch by the end. It was also way too long, which is an issue with the game as a whole. But still, the emotional beats hit, and they hit hard.

Overall, this was a great ace attorney game. Case 2 was definitely the highlight.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Finished last night. Overall solid game with enjoyable characters and situations and nice character progression, for at least one of the main cast. My biggest issue still remains the changes to case progression and truncation of Investigation/Court days. It hurts the overall experience and removes the ability for new twists and drama, as well as non-courtroom style gameplay mechanics. Couple that with trying to juggle 3 Attorneys and you get a watered down experience.

Trying to tie everything into one or two days max worth of court proceedings makes those segments feel excessively long and removes some degree of mystery from things because you know the case will end that day and all the evidence you need is at hand already.

There were still some great twists and turns. Cases 1, 3 and 5 were quite good overall, I like the setting of Khura'in a lot, but they still had some issues due to the above mentioned flaws. Case 2 was quite strong, probably best Case 2 in the series, and while totally pointless and short case 4 was still entertaining despite it's numerous problems.

Case 5 was a bit underwhelming though.
Technically it was two cases as one, but both were short and while the twists and turns in trial 2 were pretty good, everything still felt rushed due to one investigation/one trial day it received.
Overall I think Case 3 was the most fleshed out in the game as it had the most time to develop properly, but still wasn't perfect. Though Case 2 was probably the most enjoyable overall due to the writing and characters.

Jeffrey

Finished case 4. I didn't mind it but I wish there was at least some hooks to the main story line? Maybe case 5 explains that.

Definitely feels more like a dlc case or something. Was it budget issues that it had no investigation parts?

Finished case 4. I didn't mind it but I wish there was at least some hooks to the main story line? Maybe case 5 explains that.

Definitely feels more like a dlc case or something. Was it budget issues that it had no investigation parts?
Case 4 almost never has investigation when there's a case 5, yeah? I think they felt bad about sidelining Athena.

Case 4 almost never has investigation when there's a case 5, yeah? I think they felt bad about sidelining Athena.
Well let's see.

AA1, all cases after the first had an investigation phase. But Case 5 was added after the fact.

AA2 same deal, but only four cases.

AA3 was the first to have the penultimate case be court only.

AA4 you had Phoenix's flashback case rolled into the last case, which I suppose would be the equivalent here.

AA5 I believe had investigation phases for both cases 4 and 5, but they essentially made up one long case.

So kinda? It's not unprecedented at least. I think it's easier to say Athena got robbed here because the case had nothing to do with the broader game. In every other game, those cases were very plot relevant and served to set up the last case. In AA6, it doesn't.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I would have preferred Case 4 be DLC with then Case 5 being made into two distinct cases as previous games have done.

How they handled things left the final case feeling under developed.

Well let's see.

AA1, all cases after the first had an investigation phase. But Case 5 was added after the fact.

AA2 same deal, but only four cases.

AA3 was the first to have the penultimate case be court only.

AA4 you had Phoenix's flashback case rolled into the last case, which I suppose would be the equivalent here.

AA5 I believe had investigation phases for both cases 4 and 5, but they essentially made up one long case.

So kinda? It's not unprecedented at least. I think it's easier to say Athena got robbed here because the case had nothing to do with the broader game. In every other game, those cases were very plot relevant and served to set up the last case. In AA6, it doesn't.
I don't think there was any investigation in AA5 case 4. But yeah, it really is a filler case.

jackdoe

Some of these damn divination seances force me to straight up guess what the right combination is, and the end result is something that is completely illogical (to the point that I had to turn to a walkthrough to figure it out).

Top Bottom