• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Sagely

Wow, those case 4 name puns went right over my head. I also thought that (Case 3)
Datz Are'bel
was actually supposed to be
"that's horrible"
but it makes far less sense than the correct answer :D My pun radar is off it seems.

Javier

When you're on Case 5, Investigation Day 2 after the first checkpoint, make sure you
Present Edgeworth with any item that doesn't cause a unique reaction out of him (The Attorney Badge works). You get a nice Easter Egg.

Jeffrey

When you're on Case 5, Investigation Day 2 after the first checkpoint, make sure you
Present Edgeworth with any item that doesn't cause a unique reaction out of him (The Attorney Badge works). You get a nice Easter Egg.
Dang I missed this what happens?

Sagely

Ah, so just started case 5 and it's
___Apollo___
we play as (at least for the time being) which would put their case count on par with
__Phoenix__
. For some reason I was expecting the latter to handle case 5 (and maybe they do further in), but now it makes sense what folks have been saying about this game being focused on
___Apollo___
. Especially if case 5 is double-decker sized. I need to pace myself through this!

NEO0MJ

You know, case 4 really made me think about how crazy Japanifornia is. Not just for the setting but how characters are perceived.
I feel Simon as a character feels completely different in the original Japanese version compared to the localization where he comes off as a man totally obsessed with another country's culture.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Peeslub'n Ahndastan'dhin is the real standout for me because of how unnatural and just plain dumb it sounds

Found a localization error in the start of case 5:

WVW69jpKiHYh8

They accidently called it sushi when it clearly are hamburgers.
Spoilers don't cover pictures on mobile

Jeffrey

so how is some of the stuff in japan script?

Is everything
Khura'in -> Japan
lore wise for ch5 stuff?

Or is there a middle country like how the US script is everything is,
Khura'in -> Japan -> US
lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. It feels like the sort of things that's "punny" in one language that just doesn't translate. But with no context, it's even less likely that any armchair commentary I'll make will have any basis in reality. To my ears, the names standout as being completely unmemorable and inappropriate in English. I hope someone on the team lost an argument about this, at least. :p

so how is some of the stuff in japan script?

Is everything
Khura'in -> Japan
lore wise for ch5 stuff?

Or is there a middle country like how the US script is everything is,
Khura'in -> Japan -> US
lol.

Khura'in is described as being a nation at the edge of Asia, kind of like Zheng Fa from the Investigations games is somewhere in Europe.

Why not just remove it and just say there was a picture of sushi? There are two huge spoilers in that picture, it's a total dick move to leave it up.

Well technically (huge case 5 spoiler)
he is not Dhurke, is Maya :p

I fail to see the second spoiler
Him being Apollo's father is something you learn really early. And without the context you don't know even who is he speaking with

Well technically (huge case 5 spoiler)
he is not Dhurke, is Maya :p

I fail to see the second spoiler
Him being Apollo's father is something you learn really early. And without the context you don't know even who is he speaking with
You learn he's Apollo's father pretty far into the game (2nd half of case 3), and you learn that he comes to visit Apollo in the US

ZeroX03

Banned
If "Show pictures" is turned off in the options they do.

Just link to the image like any courteous posters. Or just post it in the damn spoiler thread instead.

This happens in every visual novel thread, people start to get super lax with spoilers after a week.

I'm still on chapter four but have been spoiled on chapter five multiple times due to weak spoiler tags.

Ladekabel

Just finished the first investigation of case 5. What the fuck?

Why not just remove it and just say there was a picture of sushi? There are two huge spoilers in that picture, it's a total dick move to leave it up.

Just link to the image like any courteous posters. Or just post it in the damn spoiler thread instead.

This happens in every visual novel thread, people start to get super lax with spoilers after a week.

I'm still on chapter four but have been spoiled on chapter five multiple times due to weak spoiler tags.

Removed it. Sorry if I spoiled something for someone.

The Hermit

In the middle of case 4 now.

It should be titled "Eat your hamburguers Athena"

Edit:

Athena - why do I always get the weird ones?

😂

Jeffrey

They probably could have localized the soba as spaghetti if they wanted to lol

Man is the circle pad freaking terrible at precise movement of the cursor at times. I don't remember the last game having this issue, or the OG trilogy remake?

peakish

On case 4 now and this is a really weird one so far. The witnesses are top notch while the recurring characters don't act like themselves. They're not just dumber but also making some weird comments.

Filler cases in the other games can be bland, but this is more like a dream: it feels oh-so-slightly off.

After three cases I don't like Nahyuta. He doesn't add much to the narrative, mostly irritates me with his holier-than-thou attitude and just doesn't have many funny moments. On the other hand I've been smitten by Rayfa who's been great so far.

Jeffrey

This game really is the most 'actiony' in terms of stuff happening in investigation portion. Kinda wish they brought back the 3rd person walking and talking to folks from AAI.

Also would give a net benefit of you seeing these 'dlc' costumes more of the playthrough.

Man I finished it but...

I wonder if being a long term AA fan ruined these games for me (in solving them I mean) Cause I called stuff way before it happened every case. Still managed to suprise me along the way. And what a ride it was!

Finally got around to starting this and I'm absolutely loving it so far. Case 2 definitely ranks pretty high up overall for me, and I just got to the first part of the trial in case 3.

I am kind of annoyed though that each segment seems to drag on a bit longer than it needs to, like a half an hour to an hour more. Each part has taken a minimum of two hours at least so far, which is nearly double what these parts usually took me in the other games. I suppose maybe the slow ass text speed has a bit to do with that but there's definitely more going on in each segment than usual. There's only been one point where I couldn't figure out what to do and only spent about 5 minutes trying to figure it out what to do so that really isn't adding much to my time.

Without any spoilers, how many sections do each chapter have?

Also, in Case 2
it did kind of piss me off at one point where I was asked to present proof of Reus's grudge against Trucy and I presented the contract, which was wrong, and then presented the clipboard, but Apollo immediately started talking about the contract before it. If they were going to do that then both pieces of evidence should have worked fine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You can speed up the text speed in the options! Highly recommended.

WaterAstro

Man I finished it but...

I wonder if being a long term AA fan ruined these games for me (in solving them I mean) Cause I called stuff way before it happened every case. Still managed to suprise me along the way. And what a ride it was!

I didn't guess the twist for case 5. That was actually surprising
that Dhurke is already dead.

I actually thought
when Dhurke said there was one secret that he couldn't tell Apollo was that his father was actually the one who started the fire. I already knew Rayfa was the daughter though, but didn't realize Amara was alive.

Case 3
Purhay Zeh'lot = "Prays a lot" (BONUS ROUND: "Zeh'lot" is a homonym for "Zealot," or "a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals")
I feel stupid. I didn't get it and thought it was
"Phrase a lot", even though Purhay isn't close to "phrase"

Datz Are'bel = "That's a rebel"
I didn't get this one either ;~;. I was like
"That's 'orrible"?

Case 4
Taifu Toneido = "Typhoon" + "Tornado"
I kept reading
Shisho
as
Shit Show
and I giggled every time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just starting day 2 of case 3

This is either heading towards shenanigans, or the actual lady Kheera forcefully using Maya as a vessel. Or the deaths of Phoenix and Maya, but I give that a 0.0000001% chance

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who isn't enjoying Apollo Justice 2's case 5. Not so much that it's poorly written, but it's hitting all the notes that I don't want. I'm at trial 1 of case 5.

- No phoenix and Maya case in the game.
- The game being called PWAA despite clearly being an AJAA game.
- Phoenix's relations to the situation being flimsy at best and Apollo's relation to the whole thing being dumped on you in case 5 alone.
- Apollo is apparently a better lawyer than Phoenix, the latter of whom has 10 years more experience.
- Apollo vs Phoenix, probably to show that the student has surpassed the master really, really quickly.
- Phoenix had one real case. Minority of the cases belong to him in his own game.

DD probably fellated Phoenix a bit too much, but I wasn't expecting this game to push Phoenix out of the spotlight this hard.
In case you're stupid, like I am, he's sarcastically calling this game AJ2. Don't highlight if you aren't into case five yet.

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who isn't enjoying Apollo Justice 2's case 5. Not so much that it's poorly written, but it's hitting all the notes that I don't want, so these aren't genuine criticisms. I'm at trial 1 of case 5 (SPOILERS FOR PWAA6:SoJ)

- No phoenix and Maya case in the game.
- The game being called PWAA despite clearly being an AJAA game.
- Phoenix's relations to the situation being flimsy at best and Apollo's relation to the whole thing being dumped on you in case 5 alone.
- Apollo is apparently a better lawyer than Phoenix, the latter of whom has 10 years more experience.
- Apollo vs Phoenix, probably to show that the student has surpassed the master really, really quickly.
- Phoenix had one real case. Minority of the cases belong to him in his own game.

DD probably fellated Phoenix a bit too much, but I wasn't expecting this game to push Phoenix out of the spotlight this hard.
There is a Phoenix and Maya trial, yeah? I also didn't take it as Apollo being better than Phoenix, since Phoenix was arguing a false case. What's he supposed to do? Make shit up?

Overall I'm super happy about all the changes you posted. After DD turned Phoenix into a complete rookie chump again compared to what he was in AJ, this is pretty much the best they could have handled both another game that had to have his name in the title for marketing purposes and bringing Maya back when her story was finished.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
On the other hand I've been smitten by Rayfa who's been great so far.

Explaining Princess Rayfa's popularity among a lot of the gamers is actually pretty easy. Rayfa is haughty, arrogant, but deep down inside she is well-meaning and naive. To put it another way, she is Franziska Von Karma 2.0.

She is basically a more complex and likable Franziska

There is no case where Phoenix and Maya investigate a case like old times. And I can't help but see the Phoenix vs Apollo thing as the game saying that Apollo has surpassed his master. Yes, Phoenix is arguing a false case, because he was written to do so, because the battle served a purpose. I just don't feel it though. I think that it happened far too fast.

That's the thing. I feel that the game is called PWAA almost solely for marketing purposes. The only thing that could ever so slightly warrant it being called PWAA is that you occasionally see Maya in case 3. The game is very, very clearly about Apollo more than it is about Phoenix.

And Case 5 feels odd in that Phoenix was at the center of the entire Khura'in situation up to that point, but then suddenly Apollo comes out of nowhere, gets a billion things that connect him to said situation, Phoenix gets shoved out of the spotlight and becomes an opponent for you to defeat.

Do I like the game? Certainly. It has hugr flaws, but I'm enjoying my time with it. I was just expecting a Phoenix Wright game, that's all.
Oh, it's definitely a marketing thing dude. I'm pretty sure that's why Phoenix has an attorney badge in the first place at this point. It's one of the biggest flaws with the series post-AJ, but I can deal with it if we keep getting new games.

Dammit, my spoiler-reflex failed me and I accidentally got a pretty big one for the second half of Case 5.

Oh well. If that twist is as predictable as a lot of the others then I'll see it coming from the start of the trial anyway.

Opa-Pa

Are all the DLC cases joke, non-canon cases or something like that, or are they full fledged ones like in DD? I remember seeing something like that during japanese streams back then but maybe I got it all wrong. I still bought the first one to support the series and because of the theme lol.

I got to the first (?) trial of the 5th case last night
and wow, has this been a roller coaster. I remember seeing something hinting it during a trailer but I thought it was a red herring like other things in it. I'm really excited to see how this scalates, but I'm already fairly satisfied with Apollo's development. I'm not a huge fan of him because I find him rather dull as protagonist and past efforts to give him an interesting past have been baffling and I thought it was gonna be the case again but nope, Dhurke is great and their relationship is pretty touching so far, I hope they don't screw up.

Oh and the 4th case...
That was fun but damn, you guys weren't joking about it being filler. It was the literal definition of filler. I think it's been the only time that a case felt like this, and it added absolutely nothing to the overall story, not even a semi important line from Nahyuta at the end. But eh, the characters were nice and I love Athena and Simon so I enjoyed it nonetheless and lmao seeing Simon as part of the defense is one of the most entertaining things I've seen in the series. I just wish it was better placed.

I don't know how I feel about Nahyuta either yet. He can be amusing at times, but he can get pretty nasty out of nowhere...
He does stuff not even Franziska or Edgeworth at his worst would do like getting the gallery against Athena to stress her out due to being able to hear their hearts and being a rookie.
That was just bad.

But yeah, so far the game has been excellent. I think my only complaint is the bizarrely constant use of flashbacks lol.

Pokemaniac

Are all the DLC cases joke, non-canon cases or something like that, or are they full fledged ones like in DD? I remember seeing something like that during japanese streams back then but maybe I got it all wrong. I still bought the first one to support the series and because of the theme lol.

I got to the first (?) trial of the 5th case last night
and wow, has this been a roller coaster. I remember seeing something hinting it during a trailer but I thought it was a red herring like other things in it. I'm really excited to see how this scalates, but I'm already fairly satisfied with Apollo's development. I'm not a huge fan of him because I find him rather dull as protagonist and past efforts to give him an interesting past have been baffling and I thought it was gonna be the case again but nope, Dhurke is great and their relationship is pretty touching so far, I hope they don't screw up.

Oh and the 4th case...
That was fun but damn, you guys weren't joking about it being filler. It was the literal definition of filler. I think it's been the only time that a case felt like this, and it added absolutely nothing to the overall story, not even a semi important line from Nahyuta at the end. But eh, the characters were nice and I love Athena and Simon so I enjoyed it nonetheless and lmao seeing Simon as part of the defense is one of the most entertaining things I've seen in the series. I just wish it was better placed.

I don't know how I feel about Nahyuta either yet. He can be amusing at times, but he can get pretty nasty out of nowhere...
He does stuff not even Franziska or Edgeworth at his worst would do like getting the gallery against Athena to stress her out due to being able to hear their hearts and being a rookie.
That was just bad.

But yeah, so far the game has been excellent. I think my only complaint is the bizarrely constant use of flashbacks lol.

Two of the DLC cases are short non-canon bits. One is a full canon case.

so far what bothers me the most is finding the hidden stuff in the areas.

it's way too easy with the point and click indicators lighting up + being checked off after search.

Jeffrey

Datz is seriously the best character of the game. Basically Larry 2.0.

kinda need his goofy ass in this fairly depressing game.

His jump animation gets me chuckling every time.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

it's way too easy with the point and click indicators lighting up + being checked off after search.
This is actually a QoL thing that I love. I grew up in the Monkey Island era of adventure games and I've grown tired of the pixel hunt.

Totally understand why some people still like it though. Maybe they could add an option for it? Like how you can turn off that help function in this one.

MrBadger

I actually like this. It makes investigations way more convenient to know what's clickable, and not keep accidentally checking the same thing.

Two of the DLC cases are short non-canon bits. One is a full canon case.

I'm curious about the length of the full canon case.
Are we looking at something like case 4, or will it have full investigations and multiple days like Turnabout Reclaimed?

Jeffrey

Man i can't wait until this franchise moves onto NX (if that happens).

even with the checks, took me ages to find the
blood near the chair
and a few other tiny things.

This game would be great on a higher res screen. Hope they still port these to iOS at the very least.

Top Bottom