• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Funniest moment in the game was in Case 3:

Nahyuta: This Plumed Punisher figure is a rare item, right?

Maya: You better not break it! There's only one of them in the whole world!

Phoenix: MAYA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Seven years later, still hasn't learned a thing : P

Zalman

Case 1-3 and 5 were all amazing in my book. Loved them all. 4 is okay. It's not a Turnabout Big Top, but it's definitely the low-point for me.
I do like the fact that Athena got her own case though, and Blackquill was awesome as well.

LiK

The problem with Case 4 is it kills the pacing of the game like a brick wall. Just when the main story was getting interesting, we get this random ass case in the middle of it just to give Athena her own spotlight with
Nahyuta being invovled for some random reason.
It just didn't make sense.

Didn't case 4 take place like the day after case 3? Hard to believe
Nahyuta flew all the way over and had time to thoroughly prepare, while the defence knew almost nothing about it until the trial started...

I don't get why (Case 4 early spoilers)
Nayuta is the prosecutor for Case 4. There are enough other prosecutors in the series that they could have pulled one from somewhere. I guess it might be justified later in the case, but having Klavier/Blackquill or maybe Franziska prosecute the case would have made the most sense. Seems a real stretch to have the first witness be a prosecutor while also sticking to the idea that they're so lacking for prosecutors that they had to draft someone from another country.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nayuta is the prosecutor for Case 4. There are enough other prosecutors they could have pulled one form somewhere. I guess it might be justified later in the case, but having Klavier/Blackquill or maybe Franziska prosecute the case would have made the most sense. Seems a real stretch to have the first witness be a prosecutor while also sticking to the idea that they're so lacking for prosecutors that they had to draft someone from another country.

Blackquill doesn't want to prosecute and they're trying a new dynamic with him. Klavier and Edgeworth don't really have any conflict or interactions with Athena or really anything interesting to contribute to a filler case. Von Karma needs a new character model and a bunch of history to catch up on. Might as well get mileage out of the new guy. I agree it's not great justification.

Blackquill should definitely return to prosecute in a future game.

Neol

I honestly feel like case 4
was initially suppose to be the first case in the game hence why there is no investigation portion, the crime happens in a small space and the list of characters is very small.

Feel like due to story elements they had to move it and just jimmy it into the game.

Jeffrey

The game was very good, 8/10 for me.

Case 4 was incredibly boring. The ending was pretty good though.

This game has been marketed very misleadingly.
latest

No idea what Maya's doing on the front and Phoenix in first spot. The game is an Apollo Justice game and Maya's role is very small. My biggest disappointment, with her being my favourite character.

It is the perfect final game for the Apollo Justice trilogy.

well the box for these games were always the 4 panels i believe. besides maya, who'd be a 4th? Datz?

MrBadger

Nayuta is the prosecutor for Case 4. There are enough other prosecutors in the series that they could have pulled one from somewhere. I guess it might be justified later in the case, but having Klavier/Blackquill or maybe Franziska prosecute the case would have made the most sense. Seems a real stretch to have the first witness be a prosecutor while also sticking to the idea that they're so lacking for prosecutors that they had to draft someone from another country.

I really think
Klavier's 3D model is going to waste. They had him show up for a mock trial in Dual Destinies that lasted a few seconds and that was it. He even has a (horrendous) "objection" line recorded. They could have slightly edited the script to have Blackquill prosecute, but I really enjoyed the dynamic he had with Athena and Sad Monk in that case so I'd keep him as the assistant. Maybe they just figured that not having Nahyuta prosecute would make case 4 feel even more disconnected than it already does.

Groof

I'm disappointed Apollo's Asinine Attorney wasn't as funny as Phoenix's. Oh well at least I didn't have to hear
Klavier's awful objection

Agreed that it wasn't as funny, but the bit with
Edgeworth trying to hide that he got the Steel Samurai tickets got a nice chuckle from me

Ladekabel

So I'm now in case 5
investigating with Phoenix and am currently talking with the queen. Is it just my imagination or are there some slowdowns in the animations during this segment? Never happened before. Otherwise I liked the little the dialogue with Edgeworth when presenting him the attorney badge.

So I'm now in case 5
investigating with Phoenix and am currently talking with the queen. Is it just my imagination or are there some slowdowns in the animations during this segment? Never happened before. Otherwise I liked the little the dialogue with Edgeworth when presenting him the attorney badge.

yes it churns a bit there

Finished case 4...

Yeah, that really didn't need to be this late in the game, it felt like a tutorial case. Hell, I'm pretty sure the actual tutorial case in this was was more difficult that this one. It actually wouldn't surprise me if it was originally the tutorial case but then got moved just so they could kick off the game with the Khura'in stuff.

Jeffrey

So I'm now in case 5

There's slow downs everywhere. You just weren't paying attention lol.

It's mostly noticeable when 3d is on, but the cursor is really unresponsive at times especially in court.

MuchoMalo

Banned
There's slow downs everywhere. You just weren't paying attention lol.

It's mostly noticeable when 3d is on, but the cursor is really unresponsive at times especially in court.

Those models could almost pass for last-gen though, so it's not really shocking that they push the 3DS a bit. I'd also imagine that, given the nature of the game, not much work was put into making sure that it runs at 30FPS since it doesn't make a huge difference and they care more about the models scaling up.

LiK

i'm looking forward to the iOS port. i assume it'll come after 3DS gets all its DLCs like with AA5. will probably run better and def look better on Retina screen.

Jeffrey

i'm looking forward to the iOS port. i assume it'll come after 3DS gets all its DLCs like with AA5. will probably run better and def look better on Retina screen.

hopefully it won't take a year, or maybe it should? idk, I enjoyed this game but its not really one i'd be looking forwards to replaying lol.

Maybe specific cases.

Groof

I wish these games came to Android because I'd love to play them in a much higher resolution than the shitty 3DS screens. Doesn't do the 3D models justice that

GaussTek

Apollo finally admits that he eats hamburgers! lol :p (mini-spoiler from case 2)

WVW69jpxnrUpvUYw7u

Having a lot fun with the game, yep still at case two, but going at my own pace and really enjoying it.

Groof

Guys, how about DLC? worth the 8 bucks?

If you're talking about the asinine attorney cases it depends on how willing you are to support the devs really. They're pretty short, around 10-20 minutes and are mainly for shits and giggles.

Sagely

Just finished case 5 gameplay (some post-case stuff still to go).

Not going to talk about the events here, but general feelings which hint at the tone and overall feel of the case:
Wow. That was so bittersweet. I cried at one point and felt immensely uplifted and satisfied at the end, and now feel exhausted. That was one hell of a final case. Certain things I just did not see coming. Emotional roller coaster, so much drama...what a ride. That epic final case makes this game my clear, close second favourite of the entire series.

Just need to finish up properly after work, go back through this thread to read all the spoiler bars and then head on over to the spoiler thread! :)

Joqu

Well, I beat the game today! I've done write ups for past cases but I think I'm gonna skip that for now: I'm not sure yet exactly where I'd rank the final case alongside past games', though I definitely did like it a lot.

(Plus I wouldn't want people to accidentally read a major spoiler here, you never know. I personally got spoiled on something pretty late in the game before I got there though it wasn't on GAF.)

Same goes for SoJ in general. It hasn't dethroned my favourite Ace Attorney game (that'd still be 1 <3) but I'd consider it to be a top tier one so it's up there, alongside 1, 3 and Investigations 2. Definitely impressed!

Boy is it a long one though! Not sure exactly how long it took me as I might have left my 3DS on idle somewhere, but I know spend a whole lot more time on this one than I did on Dual Destinies, and that already was the longest Ace Attorney game to date as far as I can remember? And that's without the DLC case. I do imagine the return of the old investigation system helped in that regard, I like to look for as much dialogue as possible.

As for the Asinine Attorney shorts, I did enjoy them as pure fanservice, but yeah, they're real short. And the Apollo one didn't even do anything particularly crazy. Might as well make em canon at that point. Not something I feel bad about buying, there's some fun stuff in there and I want to support the series as much as I can. But they probably ought to be cheaper for the average person to be pleased.

So yeah, feeling sad about the lack of Ace Attorney in my life right now. I wish I had Dai Gyakuten Saiban to look forward to. ;_;

Still have the proper DLC case to look forward to though. That ought to be a fun one.

----

Here's the latest dev blog by the way. It's a good one. I really appreciated the improved presentation SoJ had, I didn't think they'd be able to improve on how Dual Destinies brought the series to 3D before I played it.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobj...nd-scarves-gorgeous-3d-models-in-fluid-motion

Groof

Here's the latest dev blog by the way. It's a good one. I really appreciated the improved presentation SoJ had, I didn't think they'd be able to improve on how Dual Destinies brought the series to 3D before I played it.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobj...nd-scarves-gorgeous-3d-models-in-fluid-motion

They've really outdone themselves with the 3d sprites this time around. I'm glad they talked about the scarf animations, because the only thing I liked about Nahyuta was how the scarf was animating. It was so mesmerising.

Wrapped up the main game. Overall I thought it was excellent! My only real issue was Nahyuta, who I found to be a very weak and underbaked character. I absolutely love how much attention Apollo got though, just like in AA5, his development here was the highlight of the game. After that ending, I'm really excited to see what's next in the series!

I hope the DLC case is as strong as the one in AA5.

Just finished the first part of the Case 5 investigation. I intended on maybe just doing this one part at a time to keep myself from burning out since I've kind of been plowing through the game for the last few days, but now...

HOLY SHIT

Definitely need to see this first part of the trial through tonight at least.

I'm still somewhat surprised that Apollo Justice didn't get a 3DS re-release, to go with the rest of the series. Dual Destinies and this lean so much on AJ for characters, references here and there, etc. that it seems weird not to have it when the other games in the series are on the 3DS/iOS. Plus it's got (arguably) the best intro case in the series. Even at its worst, it still doesn't contain the worst cases in the series.

I mean, yeah, the DS one works fine but you could argue that for the original trilogy.

Scipio

I know I personally got super happy to hear that Maya was going to come back and we might do an old-school Maya+Phoenix trial. Well...yeah, that didn't happen. It wasn't even a PW game. But the game was good, so I can't complain too much.

Apparently the DLC case is pretty big and stars the Maya + Phoenix combo and is set after the main game.

Partway through Case 5 investigation Day 1 and what the hell is Apollo going on about
"I don't know if my mother is alive or dead." "I don't even know what she looks like." Are they retconning AA4? Or does Apollo just not know that Lamiroir is his mother?

Partway through Case 5 investigation Day 1 and what the hell is Apollo going on about
"I don't know if my mother is alive or dead." "I don't even know what she looks like." Are they retconning AA4? Or does Apollo just not know that Lamiroir is his mother?

You're remembering wrong.
He doesn't know. Phoenix never told him.

The latter, Phoenix for whatever reason decided never to tell Apollo the truth surrounding his parentage or the fact that he is Trucy's brother. Kind of a dick move really.

The latter, Phoenix for whatever reason decided never to tell Apollo the truth surrounding his parentage or the fact that he is Trucy's brother. Kind of a dick move really.

It wasn't his decision alone though. He made it in agreement with Lamiroir herself, allowing her to decide when the time is right.

Of course, what they should really have been worried about is this, which in the real world could have caused some major problems in the Wright/Justice family.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Actually, Lamiroir decided that, and it wasn't "never." they wanted to wait until they were ready. I'm sure Phoenix and Lamiroir will decide to tell them at some point.

Started on it today, and I just finished the first investigation portion of the second case.

Not impressed so far. That first case was easily the weakest introductory case of the whole series, including the AAI games and PW vs. PL. It dragged on far too long for a case that had no interesting twists whatsoever. And holy shit it took forever to get going. I think it was half an hour before the first cross-examination.

I also find it disappointing anytime a case starts by showing who the culprit is. The best introductory cases in the whole series (AA3, AJ, and AAI2) all don't. I don't know why they're the exceptions rather than the rule.

They'll probably know by the next game considering that the epilogue shows Phoenix and Lamiroir talking about how it's time to fill them in. I thought it was hilarious how Trucy played along when Dhurke called her wife material for Apollo lmao.
It's not gonna happen off screen

I also find it disappointing anytime a case starts by showing who the culprit is. The best introductory cases in the whole series (AA3, AJ, and AAI2) all don't. I don't know why they're the exceptions rather than the rule.
While I agree completely with you, most people argue that the series strong points lie in the way the crimes are carried about, not the identity of the culprits or victims.

Also, I don't understand why people are so down on Case 4. It was entertaining to see
Blackquill
assisting you in defense, and Uendo is one of the best characters in the game, IMO. There's definitely worse cases; I even found case 1 to be weaker than 4.

I'm just about to finish Trial Day 1 of Case 5, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite cases of the whole series. Sarge, PAW, and
Dhurke
are amazing characters! The case setting is really interesting, and even the crime scene is particularly different and just feels special. I hope it keeps getting better and better.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The musical testimonies in case 1 must've been a nightmare for localization.

Have you been reading the blog posts Capcom has been publishing about the making of the game and its localization? They talked about the musical testimonies in one of them.

Top Bottom