• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

Totakeke

Datz is seriously the best character of the game. Basically Larry 2.0.

kinda need his goofy ass in this fairly depressing game.

His jump animation gets me chuckling every time.

Emeer Punchenbaug is the troublemaker successor to Larry. Datz is great but he doesn't really
influence the cases much.

Sagely

Loving case 5 so far (still at trial day 1). Things are so interesting I had to force myself to stop playing last night and couldn't sleep for a while from the buzz.

It's funny because a friend is just starting Dual Destinies right now and they keep talking to me about case 2, from which I hardly remember a damn thing. I liked DD a whole lot, but so far AA6 is shaping up to be much more memorable with its cases and characters. Apart from the prosecutor : <

rekameohs

Banned
Started Case 4 last night. Why the heck did Edgeworth assign Sahdmadhi to this case? What, did he want all of Wright's team to face him individually or something? If it's actually explained, don't tell me.

The end of Case 3 was pretty great. They're sure getting use out of the ridiculous "hatred of defense attorneys" premise, in a good way.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Started Case 4 last night. Why the heck did Edgeworth assign Sahdmadhi to this case? What, did he want all of Wright's team to face him individually or something? If it's actually explained, don't tell me.

The end of Case 3 was pretty great. They're sure getting use out of the ridiculous "hatred of defense attorneys" premise, in a good way.

You should know by now there is no rhyme or reason they change prosecutors in the game, unless they are imprisoned or incapacitated.

I think maybe, just maybe, we assume that attorneys in the "wright anything agency" take cases between what we see with other prosecutors, but what we see is a weaved narrative and thus holds superfluous cases not in universe of the game. Who knows? :p

Jeffrey

case 5 was a good time.

Overall good AA game, and I do like how they are diverging from the usual formula at times in terms of pacing.

I'm honestly excited for aa7 or 8 in terms of what they can accomplish animation wise on new hardware.

LiK

Finished the game. Case 5 was nuts and amazing. So many twists and turns. It was super long but it was worth it in the end. Loved the game, will check out the DLC as they come out. Gonna play them all.

Time to go full spoilers about that ending.

My fave track in the game is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ut-eTUMrc

rekameohs

Banned
You should know by now there is no rhyme or reason they change prosecutors in the game, unless they are imprisoned or incapacitated.

I think maybe, just maybe, we assume that attorneys in the "wright anything agency" take cases between what we see with other prosecutors, but what we see is a weaved narrative and thus holds superfluous cases not in universe of the game. Who knows? :p
I just thought that it was strange that the game specifically went out of its way to tell us that Edgeworth pulled strings to put Sahdmadhi in charge of Case 4, where the other games just sort of handwaved it. At least Fransiska and Godot had good enough reason to be persistent in their games with their vendettas on Phoenix, I guess.

ZeroX03

Banned
Case Four was delightful. That was really fun, got sad at times but never too dark. And
Blackquill stole the show, Athena still kinda sucks but having her constantly getting ribbed by Simon makes her so much more enjoyable. He's quickly climbing up the Prosecutor tiers.
Onto Case Five, I assume it's long enough that it'll take me a few days.

latest

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Lol, case 2.
Bonny and producer dude all but confess to pinning the murder on Trucy. Apollo and Athena come out of hiding... "Gee! What a strange conversation!"

Datz is seriously the best character of the game. Basically Larry 2.0.

kinda need his goofy ass in this fairly depressing game.

His jump animation gets me chuckling every time.
The Larry comparison is right on. Someone already made this comment but when he first appeared
as an amnesiac hiker I was kind of hoping it'd turn out to be Larry.

This is actually a QoL thing that I love. I grew up in the Monkey Island era of adventure games and I've grown tired of the pixel hunt.

Totally understand why some people still like it though. Maybe they could add an option for it? Like how you can turn off that help function in this one.
yeah i wish they added an option for it.

I actually like this. It makes investigations way more convenient to know what's clickable, and not keep accidentally checking the same thing.
i do find it's more convenient. but i sorta missed the headache of searching for that one last clue that's buried before we can move on to the next scene. combing through every area again. felt like a real investigation =)

carlsojo

Just finished Chapter 3 and scratched the surface of 4.

The decision to
alternate between America and Khurain is just the most bizarre and terrible choice. It kills the pacing for the overarching story.

the worst part of case 4 is that it reminded me of
how good blackquill was and how shitty nahyuta is.

Nahyuta is cool and his kung fu prayer animations are awesome. Blackquill is a tryhard goth loser. Both are not great when compared to the GOAT prosecutor, Godot.

NexusCell

Nahyuta is cool and his kung fu prayer animations are awesome. Blackquill is a tryhard goth loser. Both are not great when compared to the GOAT prosecutor, Godot.

Not liking superweeb, gives no fucks Blackquill
Preferring Mr. "Let It Go You Putrid X"

tumblr_o8cpaju95l1upvu5zo1_1280.gif

NEO0MJ

That's not fair, no one can compare to lawyer,coffee sipping,mug throwing Cyclops.

The only thing Nahyuta has going for him is that he's pretty. Still, he's not the worst prosecutor. That title still belongs to "Achtung, baby!"

Gestahl

Just finished Chapter 3 and scratched the surface of 4.

The decision to
alternate between America and Khurain is just the most bizarre and terrible choice. It kills the pacing for the overarching story.

Yeah Go "prove it wright lol" *snorts coffee and babbles something incoherent* dot is quite
the example to measure up to

I'm ok with the changes. I mean, Apollo Justice (AA4) ended up being primarily all about Phoenix anyway. So I see little issue with a PW game being primarily about Apollo. All in all, I'm actually happy to finally see another attorney handle the "big last case" of the game. I love Phoenix as much as the next guy, but I was getting a little tired of always seeing Phoenix in the spotlight.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd put AA6 somewhere in my top 3 of the series. I loved it. And I loved the soundtrack this time around too.

spiritfox

That's not fair, no one can compare to lawyer,coffee sipping,mug throwing Cyclops.

The only thing Nahyuta has going for him is that he's pretty. Still, he's not the worst prosecutor. That title still belongs to "Achtung, baby!"

Weeaboo samurai > coffee addict

Fact.

Opa-Pa

Just finished this... Fantastic games. Surpassed all expectations.

I liked AA5 very much so I expected this to be just as good,
but for some reason the ridiculous setting made me think it would be more gimmicky than actually "meaningful" for the series and boy was I wrong

I'd probably rank it as the best in the series, only second to AA3, although I have yet to play AAI2. It may be mostly the hype from having just beaten it, but it kept me constantly entertained (even if the new prosecutor is among the weakest IMO) and the final case was crazy good.

It made a pretty good job at fleshing out Apollo's character as well, which I didn't expect at all.

I feel a bit cheated about how much emphasis they gave to Phoenix and especially Maya in trailers and stuff, but the game was so good that I can't complain too much.

Also god damn, Dhurke best character...

Anyway, I haven't been this excited for an AA sequel to come since forever. AA7 can go in so many different directions.

Just finished up case 3, and I think I may have let the reactions to it here raise my expectations a bit too much, because I was a little underwhelmed in the end.
I did expect Beh'leeb to be involved in one of the murders but the suicide thing didn't have a whole lot of build up to it. When the choice came up in the final section, it was more of a "...is it this?" moment than an "OH SHIT" moment like it could have been.
The bit at the end explaining it all was pretty good though.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
the suicide thing didn't have a whole lot of build up to it. When the choice came up in the final section, it was more of a "...is it this?" moment than an "OH SHIT" moment like it could have been.

This was my big issue with it, too. I think they had a great idea for the plot of the case, but in order for it to be most effective for me, something needed to change. I wanted to linger more in this part of the story.
Walk me through the events, give me earlier text with the High Priest that showed something heavy was on his mind or that Beh'leeb was very concerned about Maya's well-being when we interviewed her so we can do a flashback, show me the conversation that the Inmees had when the truth was revealed, have Maya remember the mood of the meal or a weird comment someone made before she left. I just kind of left with, "Oh, really? Okay." I wanted to feel like the puzzle fit together into a tragic truth. Not all the pieces needed to be given so I'd figure it out early, but just something that would have had the cogs turning earlier.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, shit. Sorry man, I wasn't expecting that to happen. I've edited my post to be more clear. Thankfully, the spoiler tags only spoil one early event, not the outcome of it or any twists that may occur. I'm only early into the first trial.
No problem. Thanks for responding. :)

Regarding mini-DLCs. I checked out both, and, well, Apollo's one may be longer, but it figuratively goes nowhere. Honestly pricing is steep for both of them, but without further spoilers, what a difference in ingenuity.

Very slight and vague further spoilers on Apollo's theater:
This didn't even take much advantage of being non-canon, and it ends... I think now ending is a joke on aesops in endings of sorts but it was too affectionate to actually show it, which given the context made me really not like it.

Santar

My impressions having beat the game.
I'll just spoiler tag all of it even though I don't spoil any story stuff.

I enjoyed this game, it was a lot more engaging than Dual Destinies, that game just felt like fan fiction to me. I'd put this above DD but under the rest of the series.
I was a bit disappointed that it's basically a Apollo Justice game with all the marketing focusing on Phoenix Wright though, even the name of the game being Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.
And all the marketing and teasing about Maya coming back being the focus also felt like a cheat. She was barely in the game!

I think they've done a really poor job of changing main characters in the Ace Attorney series.
Now I don't want to change main characters as I like Phoenix Wright a lot.
But they way they should've done it was to leave Phoenix Wright and the old cast entirely out of Apollos games. When you have Phoenix and Maya in the game but barely there it takes away from Apollo, because I just want to play as Phoenix and interact with the old characters. Kinda like a Raiden in MGS 2 situation.

The game felt quite slow compared to the old ones too for some reason. I don't think I've seen so many ............. in one game before :p
Still all in all a enjoyable step up from Dual Destinies even though I don't think I'll be playing this again for a very very long time mostly because it felt a bit drawn out.

Also is it just me or are the recent Ace Attorney games almost a little too well produced?
What I mean is, imagine how much money they could've saved on production if they still used sprites with some few frames of animation?
We could probably get three or four new games for the price of one of the new 3ds ones!

I mean sure I love how amazing the games look now but I'd gladly take simpler visuals if that meant we could get more games quicker.

JediLink

Also is it just me or are the recent Ace Attorney games almost a little too well produced?
What I mean is, imagine how much money they could've saved on production if they still used sprites with some few frames of animation?
We could probably get three or four new games for the price of one of the new 3ds ones!

I mean sure I love how amazing the games look now but I'd gladly take simpler visuals if that meant we could get more games quicker.
I think it's the opposite actually. You're underestimating how much time and effort it takes to draw and animate hundreds of high quality sprites. Making a single model and then animating it is much simpler.

Santar

I think it's the opposite actually. You're underestimating how much time and effort it takes to draw and animate hundreds of high quality sprites. Making a single model and then animating it is much simpler.

Usually that is the case but the sprites in Ace Attorney are not exactly well animated. They're more like a small collection of still images with moving mouths and blinking eyes.

LiK

i would say AA6 is a really good entry in the series. Better than AA4 and AA5. Case 4 was the only downer in the game mainly because of its placement. The case itself wasn't horrible but it should've been standalone DLC or placed much earlier in the game. Case 5 was much much too long and should've been split into two cases. It had a natural end
When Buff trial ends.
The finale should've been called Case 6.

The best thing about this entry is how much I loved the majority of the new characters. They were extremely memorable and truly had an impact. I'm really curious what they can do in another sequel.

mdtauk

... I'm really curious what they can do in another sequel.
With
Apollo out of the way for now (maybe he appears in a DLC case)
and Athena still in training. Maybe there is room for a foreign defence attorney to come to the Wright Anything Agency to get some Japanifornia experience of court.

As for the prosecution, it would be interesting to not bring in yet another prosecutor, but instead bring a few old faces back, and focus the story on the cases, and not a "rivalry" with a new/foreign prosecutor.

Oh and can we get a case where the Judge is in the frame for a crime. A corruption trial, rather than a murder...

LiK

With
Apollo out of the way for now (maybe he appears in a DLC case)
and Athena still in training. Maybe there is room for a foreign defence attorney to come to the Wright Anything Agency to get some Japanifornia experience of court.

As for the prosecution, it would be interesting to not bring in yet another prosecutor, but instead bring a few old faces back, and focus the story on the cases, and not a "rivalry" with a new/foreign prosecutor.

Oh and can we get a case where the Judge is in the frame for a crime. A corruption trial, rather than a murder...

i think we need the return of several prominent characters that haven't returned.
Gumshoe needs to return (!!!) and Franziska or Gavin should come back as well.
I don't mind new characters but I wouldn't mind those characters coming back and looking older.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
We need a green suited lawyer to complete the color wheel.

The models are probably not more expensive than the equivalent 2d art would be. I'd honestly expect them to be cheaper than the 2d art.

LiK

I truly love the 3D character models in this game. Hoping for iOS version to take clean screenshots. They look better than the 2D concept/official art. Really nicely modeled and animated.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 3D models are great from the default angles. When the camera starts moving the older characters look weird from new angles, Apollo in particular doesn't look great. Athena looks fine.

The models are probably not more expensive than the equivalent 2d art would be. I'd honestly expect them to be cheaper than the 2d art.

The original sprite art was pretty low on frames and there weren't really all that many variations. They just used it really well. Nothing compared to say an Arc Sys fighting game. But it also probably wouldn't fly on a modern system with what's considered acceptable, and they really wanted to go anime instead of sprites so that's more expensive too.

Re: 3D models

For some reason I find half "defence in the court" animations sort of off. Judge was really off in AA5 but it didn't really bother me that much in AA6, though I'm not really sure how much of that was judge (and camera angles) being fixed and how much of that was new judge taking the screen time while being less off.

This is really weird, at first I have thought it has something to do with old characters and stuff, but it also involves Athena, and gets completely back to the normal "eh, I didn't like one animation out of 20 too much" scale when I see the very same characters during investigation or something.

As for costs they're very likely to be lessened by using models. You make a model once and that's expensive, then you make the animations and that's cheap. The fact that you don't see that many of these doesn't mean they don't get prototyped. Not to mention shenanigans available by applying mixing models and animations. Or if you prefer that phrasing, costume sales dosh. (Though there's more, isn't it... definitely in AA5 at least.)

What really confuses me though is the insertion of singular voiced lines that aren't the bubbles. It really throws me off. "Beep beep beep beep beep beep O HOLY MOTHER <choir follows as I mash buttons to stop it>". Were they supposed to make anime cutscenes there and then cut them? A particular later line would really break the stability of the medium less if it was put in a bubble, perhaps shortened a little.

Kneefoil

I kind of miss sprites, but Capcom has managed to mask the 3D models so well that they often look 2D apart from certain camera angles and animations.

next game should have you defending Payne for a murder. XD
First case of AA7. Winston is the defendant, Gaspen is the prosecutor. Gaspen refuses to help his brother because he feels the need to prove himself that he can beat Phoenix Wright.

Scipio

The game was very good, 8/10 for me.

Case 4 was incredibly boring. The ending was pretty good though.

This game has been marketed very misleadingly.
latest

No idea what Maya's doing on the front and Phoenix in first spot. The game is an Apollo Justice game and Maya's role is very small. My biggest disappointment, with her being my favourite character.

It is the perfect final game for the Apollo Justice trilogy.

Javier

Funniest moment in the game was in Case 3:

Nahyuta: This Plumed Punisher figure is a rare item, right?

Maya: You better not break it! There's only one of them in the whole world!

Phoenix: MAYA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Just popping in to say after picking this up. Holy hell that 1st trial was long. I was expecting a 30 minute refresher of previous games. Took me almost 3 hours to get through it all.

Bravo CAPCOM for actually making a fully-invested (sans investigation) 1st case of a game. May not be the strongest but I liked the characters for the most part.

Top Bottom