• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

MuchoMalo

Banned
They'll probably know by the next game considering that the epilogue shows Phoenix and Lamiroir talking about how it's time to fill them in. I thought it was hilarious how Trucy played along when Dhurke called her wife material for Apollo lmao.

I'm aware but I wanted to avoid spoiling that for them since they hadn't finished the game yet. I guess it's too late for that now.

NEO0MJ

So I'm at the later part of case 5 and
I did not see the Queen putting on a skin-tight suit and playing the role of prosecutor. Until his murder I thought it would be Inga or even Edgeworth at the queen's request.

Kevinroc

I finally finished Case 5. I can't believe how insane that case got. Even by Ace Attorney standards.

I purchased the short DLC and plan on purchasing the DLC case. Because I want to support this series.

Gestahl

Started on it today, and I just finished the first investigation portion of the second case.

Not impressed so far. That first case was easily the weakest introductory case of the whole series, including the AAI games and PW vs. PL. It dragged on far too long for a case that had no interesting twists whatsoever. And holy shit it took forever to get going. I think it was half an hour before the first cross-examination.

I also find it disappointing anytime a case starts by showing who the culprit is. The best introductory cases in the whole series (AA3, AJ, and AAI2) all don't. I don't know why they're the exceptions rather than the rule.

Yeah AA3's opening case was a real whodunnit all right

Having just finished the first case, I will say this... They finally got Adult Phoenix personality right. He's an old pro now, and it shows. The only time he seemed really flustered was when they explained the laws of kuh'rain. Throughout the rest of the case he was super on point and there was no deus ex machina so save him from being backed in a corner.

That said...
anyone else weirded out by how much Payne wanted Phoenix to die? I mean there are grudges, then there is being blood thirsty...

So I'm coming up to what I expect is the last part of Case 5 and HOLY FUCK this one has been a roller coaster of emotions and twists. I've been playing it for almost 6 hours straight. I think I can say for sure this is probably going to be my favorite case in the series at this rate.

NEO0MJ

That said...
anyone else weirded out by how much Payne wanted Phoenix to die? I mean there are grudges, then there is being blood thirsty...

I saw it more as how desperate he was to have Wright admit defeat than wanting him to die, and Phoenix was given multiple chances to back down so maybe he was hoping he'd give up eventually and bow down to his superior skills.
Of course being willing to have both a kid and Phoenix put to the axe shows how far gone he is.

Finished with the game finally after 30 hours exactly, and god damn it was one hell of a ride. It's usually the final case of each game that makes or breaks it for me and I think I can safely say this one is my favorite of the series by far.
The reveal of Dhurke being dead throughout the whole case and Apollo's subsequent breakdown actually made me choke up a bit, first time this series has managed to do that.

Stopdoor

Having just finished the first case, I will say this... They finally got Adult Phoenix personality right. He's an old pro now, and it shows. The only time he seemed really flustered was when they explained the laws of kuh'rain. Throughout the rest of the case he was super on point and there was no deus ex machina so save him from being backed in a corner.

That said...

I saw it more as how desperate he was to have Wright admit defeat than wanting him to die, and Phoenix was given multiple chances to back down so maybe he was hoping he'd give up eventually and bow down to his superior skills.
Of course being willing to have both a kid and Phoenix put to the axe shows how far gone he is.

Have to remind people this is Gaspen Payne from AA5, not Winston Payne. Pretty sure he wasn't above falsifying evidence in AA5, which is why he fled the country, so he's a touch more dark than his brother.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Finished with the game finally after 30 hours exactly, and god damn it was one hell of a ride. It's usually the final case of each game that makes or breaks it for me and I think I can safely say this one is my favorite of the series by far.
The reveal of Dhurke being dead throughout the whole case and Apollo's subsequent breakdown actually made me choke up a bit, first time this series has managed to do that.

In response to your spoilers

Dhurke being dead was easily the best reveal of the game. And it made the whole thing so sad. At first, I didn't like Dhurke, but I ended up absolutely loving him by the end.

MechaX

I pretty much blitzed through Case 2 after putting the game down a bit and am working my way through Case 3.

Case 2 and AA4 spoilers:
If there was ever a point where I wished that the plot thread of Apollo being Lamiroir's son was revealed, it was here just to fuck over Reus 100 fold.

Edit: Oh man, Case 3 Trial Issue, but that was the first time in awhile where I was at a "well, I know the contradiction exactly, but I have no idea how the game actually wants me to present it" situation.
Fuck these insights. Spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how the game wanted me to present the issue with the switched positions and the broken lantern. "Well, does it want me to point out that he heard wind on the entirely wrong fucking side of the mountain?" Nope, all penalties. Instead, the game wants me to click on something unmarked entirely. Alright then.

rekameohs

Banned
Case 5:

It's too bad that the trailer for the game showed
Apollo vs. Phoenix, because that was hype as fuck when it came up in the Day 1 Investigation.

hey guys,
one thing i noticed...

the text speed becomes sluggish once i turn on 3D.

i'm using a normal black 3DS XL. (my n3ds xl is still sitting in a box so it might be different with the faster n3ds)

i noticed the text is slightly choppy (without speeding text up option) and sorta bothered me. but once it turned off 3D slider, the text ran smoother.

is very slight, i drum so i might be a bit too sensitive to slight variances to speed/rhythm of text =)

Wazzy

Banned
I'm on episode 3 right now and so far I'm enjoying the game. I liked case 2 but there was something that made it really disappointing for me and I'm really hoping it get's addressed later on but knowing this series it probably won't.

My nickname for Retinz is Robert Downey Jackass

Ha! I also thought he looked like RDJ. That or douchebag Tony Stark..

Bardiche

Case 5 was insane even for AA standards.

Overall, SoJ is one of the best AA games in a long time. I like AA1 & AA3 more due to nostalgia, Mia, and how well everything was tied together in AA3, but AA6 is definitely giving AA1 & AA3 a run for it's money.

AA3>AA1>AA6>>>AA4>AA2>AAI>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AA5

Guess Who

Banned
Currently early on in case 4, and 1)
Geiru
's design is the most Ace Attorney-ass character design in all of Ace Attorney and 2) man, the localization team has pretty much given up on trying to pretend this is Los Angeles at this point, haven't they? I've heard this case is kind of a pace killer, and while I'm still early on, I can definitely see why. Nice to see
Simon and Athena partnering up, though.

Case 3 was pretty strong, and didn't go where I thought it would, which was really nice - I especially liked that
Rayfa hung a lampshade on where I thought it was going, which is that her mom/the royal family were behind the rebel killings, and said that'd be ridiculous.
Nice self-aware touch. The stakes were also enjoyably high too.
Maya being on trial
is a bit tired in the series at this point, but
actually getting a guilty verdict on day one definitely heightened the tension, and the whole rebellion plotline makes me think some serious shit is gonna go down by the end of this game.

Case 2 was a solid case 2. Case 2s are rarely a highlight in a game, but it was enjoyable.
Retinz came off as such an ass, which is to say, great characterization for a villain character
. I liked AA4 more than most, and case 2 was a very AA4-esque case. Ema is also one of my favorite characters in the series, so it's great to see her back, Snackoos in tow. Case 1 was a case 1, which is to say it's obviously more about setting up the game and acting as a tutorial than being an especially compelling case, but it did some fun stuff as well. Loved how it
used the scrolling text "beeps" as a melody for the culprit's songs.

Overall, this has been a really solid AA game so far, and I'm hyped to finish up case 4 and get to case 5.

Kanhir

The musical testimonies in case 1 must've been a nightmare for localization.

I'd say more case 4, with its rakugo, Japanese master-apprentice relationships, soba references everywhere, and the key factor to solving the case being that
the noodles were udon, not soba
. I can imagine the localizers crying in their sleep after that.

The only saving grace is that it's already established that
Simon Blackquill
is a massive weeb, so they could have
him
explain everything to you as you go along.

Stopdoor

Inga commenting how "you've got balls, for a lawyer" - pretty casual, but still a touch more vulgar than I expected from this game. Interesting localization, heh.

Opa-Pa

Damn, apologies for that careless spoiler back there :( should have read the original post in more detail.

I'd say more case 4, with its rakugo, Japanese master-apprentice relationships, soba references everywhere, and the key factor to solving the case being that
the noodles were udon, not soba
. I can imagine the localizers crying in their sleep after that.

The only saving grace is that it's already established that
Simon Blackquill
is a massive weeb, so they could have
him
explain everything to you as you go along.

The irony is that I'd say it's the most shamelessly japanese case in the entire series and they didn't even bother making up excuses like saying they were part of a community of japanese descent or anything, we're just expected to accept the
rakugo and soba
being commonplace in LA, japanese names and all. I mean I enjoyed it, but it made no sense, and all the japanese words made me mix up terms and names so it was a mess for me haha.

Seeing
Simon getting in "these baka gaijin..."
mode was priceless tho lmao.

I'll never understand the hatred for Dual Destinies.

Same. I mean I liked this one more, but DD was fantastic and introduced two of my favorite characters in the series.

Maiar_m

I'm so glad I'm through with Case 3, I hate (character name, not really spoilery)
Rayfa
with a passion. Or maybe just Phoenix's doormat attitude.

LiK

I'm so glad I'm through with Case 3, I hate (character name, not really spoilery)
Rayfa
with a passion. Or maybe just Phoenix's doormat attitude.

I actually started to like
her
in Case 3. Actually, I loved all the interactions with PW.

Maiar_m

I actually started to like
her
in Case 3. Actually, I loved all the interactions with PW.

I started off neutral to the character, but (development)
her being a one-tone indoctrinated bitch eventually grew on my nerve so much that even her eventual crestfallen attitude didn't really change a thing. She's a petty stupid brat and it grew tiresome for me. I know the game is trying to make her charmingly insufferable, but I only got the latter part of their plan :D

LiK

I started off neutral to the character, but (development)
her being a one-tone indoctrinated bitch eventually grew on my nerve so much that even her eventual crestfallen attitude didn't really change a thing. She's a petty stupid brat and it grew tiresome for me. I know the game is trying to make her charmingly insufferable, but I only got the latter part of their plan :D

I think you'll warm up to
her
later. Well, I did in Case 3 alone. :D

Maiar_m

I think you'll warm up to
her
later. Well, I did in Case 3 alone. :D

I hope so. I'm sure they return for the last case, hopefully in a way that's less
childish. Then again, the "great, international prosecutor" insulting lawyers as if they were standing in a schoolyard does make me wonder whether the childishness is just part of their culture.

mrmickfran

I can say for certain that AA6 has the worst (best) names in the series.

Manov Mistree
Ahlbi Ur'gaid
Tahrust Inmee
Roger Reitinz
Paht Roll

And I'm only on case 3 so far

Edit: Puhray Zeh'lot? OH MY GOD

Finished Case 4. I see what people mean when they say it was lacking and was placed awkwardly in the game. I still enjoyed it though. Solid witnesses plus I actually found Sahdmahdi pretty funny in this one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Manov Mistree
Ahlbi Ur'gaid
Tahrust Inmee
Roger Reitinz
Paht Roll

You've only seen half of his charm.

When this game started, I was pretty bored

But now I'm on case 5 and goddamn, I think this might be the best ace attorney game

This is the sequel to Apollo justice I've waited for since 2008

LiK

Manov Mistree
Ahlbi Ur'gaid
Tahrust Inmee
Roger Reitinz
Paht Roll

can you translate some of them. i'm too dumb to figure a few of them out. the old games had easy to figure out puns lol

Somnid

No love for Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin, head monk of Tehm'pul Temple? Some of them were just so on the nose it's cringeworthy.

If you still don't get it:
Manov Mistree (Man of mystery)
Ahlbi Ur'gaid (I'll be your guide)
Tahrust Inmee (Trust in me)
Roger Reitinz (Roger Ratings)
Paht Roll (Patrol)

mugwhump

finished case 2

wtf I'm racist against Khura'inese now

Also is Nahyuta Sahdmadhi some kind of pun, because all I can see is
Needyouta Suckmadick

mrmickfran

can you translate some of them. i'm too dumb to figure a few of them out. the old games had easy to figure out puns lol

No love for Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin, head monk of Tehm'pul Temple? Some of them were just so on the nose it's cringeworthy.

If you still don't get it:
Manov Mistree (Man of mystery)
Ahlbi Ur'gaid (I'll be your guide)
Tahrust Inmee (Trust in me)
Roger Reitinz (Roger Ratings)
Paht Roll (Patrol)

Also, Puhray Zeh'lot = Prays alot.

Top Bottom