• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physicists Are Studying Mysterious ‘Bubbles of Nothing’ That Eat Spacetime

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

A spontaneous hole in the fabric of reality could theoretically end the universe, but don't worry: physicists are studying the idea for what it can teach us about the cosmos.

The universe might be on track to eat itself from the inside out.

Luckily for us, physicists studying the phenomenon, called “spacetime decay”, believe this is very unlikely. Still, the possibility is interesting enough to explore in mind-boggling detail, covering “bubbles of nothing” in spacetime, hidden extra dimensions, and a hypothetical observer hitching a ride on the outer surface of our universe.

The idea that in specific scenarios the universe would be entirely destroyed by an expanding bubble of nothing has been around since 1982, when theoretical physicist Edward Witten introduced the possibility of the universe eating itself in a paper in Nuclear Physics B journal. He wrote: “A hole spontaneously forms in space and rapidly expands to infinity, pushing to infinity anything it may meet.”

Given that a bubble of nothing has not in fact destroyed the universe, neither in the 13 billion years before Witten published his paper nor in the 38 years since, it would be reasonable for physicists to push it down the research priority list. But three physicists at the University of Oviedo in Spain and the University of Uppsala in Sweden argue that we can learn important lessons from an all-consuming, universe-destroying bubble in a wonderfully titled paper, “Nothing Really Matters”, submitted to the Journal of High-Energy Physics this month.

In particular, understanding the conditions for spacetime decay through a bubble of nothing is a step towards connecting the best theories about the tiniest building blocks of the universe—strings—with theories about space and time itself.

More on the link above.

Things keep getting stranger and stranger....

Last edited:

Michele

you.
I bet in the end it'll just be nothing. The theory is bullshit, how can it even end the universe.....

Interesting article.
I believe that we're about to be visited by the aliens.
And I'm gonna join them in all the pillaging that's sure to take place.

Airola

Turns out Langoliers was a documentary.

KddHqVa.gif

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It can’t be nothing, because nothing is something. Checkmate, scientists
Well scientists still believe something (the universe) came from nothing.

Not that I'm sure that theory is right, mind you.

Top Bottom