• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Melchiah

YGNvEPO.jpg

X8sV1Qh.jpg

QFS
8Y6Zxul.jpg

The bleeding tooth fungus grows in Europe and North America. While young, the fungus looks like it is oozing blood. The red liquid is actually an anticoagulant. It lives on the roots of conifer trees and exchanges nutrients in a mutually beneficial relationship.

We are often taught not to eat or touch unusual things that grow wild, but the flashy Hydnellum peckii is not considered toxic to humans, just inedible. This unique mushroom obtains its “inedible” status due to the taste of its flesh and juice which are described as “acrid” or extremely bitter and “peppery.”

The aroma of this fungus is often described as being “unpleasant”. The juice itself contains a pigment called atromentin which has been discovered as having anticoagulant properties similar to heparin which is derived from the mucus membranes of slaughtered cattle and hogs. Scientists have also discovered the fungus contains antibiotic properties, effective against streptococcus pneumoniae. The mushroom can also be dried and transformed into a plant based dye for cloth, producing an earthy beige color. Useful as well as mysteriously repulsive, this little fungus is sure to be counted as one of your favorites, that is, once you get over the initial shock of it’s gruesome appearance.

Melchiah

It's probably a bigger building which they're renewing/rebuilding while keeping the façade.

Could be. I tried to search some information via Google, but came up with nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_33
Nemo 33 is the deepest indoor swimming pool in the world. The pool is located in Brussels, Belgium. Its maximum depth is 34.5 metres (113 ft). It contains 2.78787 million litres of non-chlorinated, highly filtered spring water maintained at 30 °C (86 °F) and holds several simulated underwater caves at the 10 metres (33 ft) depth level. There are numerous underwater windows that allow outside visitors to look into the pools at various depths. The complex was designed by Belgian diving expert John Beernaerts as a multi-purpose diving instruction, recreational, and film production facility, in 2004.

QaHIMTil.jpg

6vuJRX1.jpg

aiv4plX.jpg

SL4UNip.jpg

fpSdVZa.jpg

Retro

A few years ago, I remember seeing a news report about an abandoned missile silo for sale (somehow it had come into private hands, I think something about the government lease expiring or something). The guy selling it mentioned that converting the silo over would "make for the world's best swimming pool."

Seeing something like that now, he wasn't wrong. Really awesome stuff. I can't tell from the photos, but it looks like it just ends at the bottom; are there side tunnels and stuff for simulated cave-diving? It says there are some at the 33ft depth, but nothing about the very bottom there.

Melchiah

A few years ago, I remember seeing a news report about an abandoned missile silo for sale (somehow it had come into private hands, I think something about the government lease expiring or something). The guy selling it mentioned that converting the silo over would "make for the world's best swimming pool."

Seeing something like that now, he wasn't wrong. Really awesome stuff. I can't tell from the photos, but it looks like it just ends at the bottom; are there side tunnels and stuff for simulated cave-diving? It says there are some at the 33ft depth, but nothing about the very bottom there.

That's an interesting idea.

The Wikipedia entry says...
holds several simulated underwater caves at the 10 metres (33 ft) depth level
...I guess that's all there is.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I swear to god, these images of deep pools freak me the fuck out.

I would do crazy shit like skydiving and basejumping, but you couldn't get me to swim in there with the strength of a thousand men.

Retro

...I guess that's all there is.

Yep, and it says the maximum depth is 113 ft., so the tunnels are at a pretty shallow depth. My guess is, the bottom of the shaft there is all there is and nothing branches out from it.

I swear to god, these images of deep pools freak me the fuck out.

I would do crazy shit like skydiving and basejumping, but you couldn't get me to swim in there with the strength of a thousand men.

Well, it's not so much for swimming as it is scuba diving. You have to be trained and certified to do stuff like that, and a quick look at their site confirms. If you were to do something like that, they'd make sure you knew how to do it safely before you did.

/shrug.

I'd try it. A cave diving article pops up in National Geographic every now and then and it always looks incredible. But at the same time, I HATE heights and there's no way you'd get me skydiving or base jumping.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yep, and it says the maximum depth is 113 ft., so the tunnels are at a pretty shallow depth. My guess is, the bottom of the shaft there is all there is and nothing branches out from it.

Well, it's not so much for swimming as it is scuba diving. You have to be trained and certified to do stuff like that, and a quick look at their site confirms. If you were to do something like that, they'd make sure you knew how to do it safely before you did.

/shrug.

I'd try it. A cave diving article pops up in National Geographic every now and then and it always looks incredible.

The physical act doesn't scare me in the slightest. I'd love to go diving.

It's just the appearance of the vast industrial steel tube filled with a staggering column of water that triggers some primal fear inside me. Some kind of aqua--techno-claustrophobia or something.

AcridMeat

Banned

That is so damn cool, my goodness. Fuck, I'd love to be able to do crazy stuff like that.

I don't like the idea of scuba diving too much, but what a cool concept to execute with the silo. Gorgeous pictures too.
SL4UNip.jpg

this in particular is stunning

Retro

So it's a thing, apparently;

http://www.missilebases.com/properties

20 acres (or more). Most highly developed Atlas F site, part of exclusive airport subdivision on (FAA approved) 2050' runway, Low taxes. Privacy, security, and, unlimited possibilities. NO other like it anywhere.

Drastic Price Reduction!

Reduced from $4.6 million to $995,000!

What a steal.. but it does have it's own runway...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

/shrug.

I'd try it. A cave diving article pops up in National Geographic every now and then and it always looks incredible. But at the same time, I HATE heights and there's no way you'd get me skydiving or base jumping.

I did a scuba dive after just a couple hours of training last year, went down about 10 metres too which is way way deeper than you realise. It was fun but freaked me out a little when I realised that all that stood between me and drowning was a little breathing mask and my nerve. It's amazing though, like being in space or something.

So, I'm ignorant to this stuff. My head hurts when I dive to the bottom of a 12 foot pool, what would the pressure do to somebody down at 133 feet? How does your body adjust to that?

You equalize your ears pretty much from the moment you get into the water.
Then its builds again depending on various factors like how fast your descending and such but you just lightly pinch your nose and blow and POP back to normal.

I found after a certain depth (12 odd) you dont have to equalize as much and you can almost forget about it.

Also means you can dive with a cold or any kind of sinuis problem or you will risk wrecking your eardrums.

ydwBwi3.png

DwJuyDf.png

OEiNSKn.jpg

xWXFn5I.jpg

The professor who built a villa on top of a Beijing skyscraper has been ordered to prove it was built legally or dismantle his new home. Professor Zhang purchased the top floor of a 26-story building some time ago, and spent six years building the two-story villa that sits on its roof. Reportedly without planning permission, Zhang moved ton after ton of rocks and foliage up to the roof, creating what he says is "just an ornamental garden." Although it could be mistaken for a rock garden from afar, closer inspection reveals there's clearly a house hidden within.

The construction of the rooftop mansion was disputed by local residents, who complained about noise, broken pipes, and, since its completion, loud parties. But it wasn't until photos of the structure were widely distributed by the Chinese media that local officials took action. The building will now be torn down in 15 days, unless Professor Zhang can prove it was legally built. A district urban management official tells the Associated Press that Zhang has yet to provide any evidence.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That looks amazing! They should keep it.

Melchiah

4mJ6NSn.gif

QFS

xXZiLiD.jpg

leHvSHu.jpg

"to capture [the first] image i tied myself to the tower of the research boat and leaned into the void, precariously hanging over the ocean while waiting patiently for a white shark to come along. i wanted to shot a photograph that would tell the story of our research efforts to track white sharks using kayaks.

"when the first shark of the day came across our sea kayak it dove to the seabed and inspected it from below. i quickly trained my camera on the dark shadow which slowly transformed from diffuse shape into the sleek outline of a large great white.

"when the shark’s dorsal fin broke the surface i thought i had the shot, but hesitated a fraction of a second and was rewarded with marine biologist trey snow in the kayak turning around to look behind him. i pressed the shutter and the rest was history."

- Thomas P. Peschak

Top Bottom