• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Melchiah

KMMGqIw.jpg

Pilatus, Switzerland by Robin Kamp.

1tUUE7N.jpg

YRzQcmo.jpg

QFS

Melchiah

QFS
0gl41TZ.jpg

Florian Ebner on a highline in the Austrian Dolomites, Martin Lugger.

cc8Rd6f.jpg

Red Bull athlete Rafa Ortiz nabs a first descent of the 132.5-foot-tall Big Banana Falls in the State of Veracruz, Mexico, Lucas Gilman.

RG9aEfC.jpg

An ice cavern underneath Patagonia’s Perito Moreno Glacier, Juan Cruz Rabaglia.

rKnbKgP.jpg

Hanging ice dagger situated in the middle of a steep rock wall at Ghost River in the Canadian Rockies, AB, Canada, Paul Bride.

NrY38uT.jpg

John Jackson snowboards in the Tordrillo Mountains in Alaska, Scott Serfas.

YAWzGM3.jpg

BASE jumper Michael Tomchek takes a 400ft leap off Castleton Tower in Castle Valley, UT, Krystle Wright.

CCN0KVH.jpg

Freediver Emilia Biala in Dahab, Egypt, Rafal Meszka.

hunZeqy.jpg

Surfer Sean Woolnough off of Namotu Island, Fiji, Stuart Gibson.

KfzsYaS.jpg

Stand up paddle boarders surf the Turnagain Arm bore tide in Alaska, Scott Dickerson.

459WtPC.jpg

Xavier 'Sherwy' Pasamonte at the Nine Knights Mountainbike event in Austria’s Wildkogel, Florian BreitenBerger.

q8KUItY.jpg

Tim Emmett climbs Helmcken Falls, located in Wells Grey Provincial Park in British Columbia, Christian Pondella.

The diving photo sends shivers down my spine.

More here:
http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/09/red-bull/?viewall=true

Watching Earthflight on Blu-ray currently... I just love all the slow-mo stuff. Nature is so packed with detailed mechanics, you could film an animal taking a shit and it would look gracefully.

images-i250788bfwyha.gif

images-i250790bi47e6.gif

Some of it looks straight CGI.

Melchiah

Here's more pics of the largest cave ever found, of which I posted a few pics earlier here.

TftyEkq.jpg

YaHn9in.jpg

cp9Fc5y.jpg

More here: http://www.boredpanda.com/worlds-largest-cave-son-doong-vietnam/
Recently Discovered World’s Largest Cave, Son Doong, Open to Visitors

There are many things that make the Son Doong Cave in Vietnam a remarkable natural wonder; at about 9km in length, 200m in width and 150m in height, it is the largest cave in the world, with caverns capable of fitting entire city streets and skyscrapers. It is home to a river, jungles, and entire cave ecosystems. Only slightly less remarkable is the fact that, until 2009, we did not even know how grandiose and impressive Son Doong (or Mountain River) Cave really is.

The cave was found in 1991 by local man Ho Khanh. In 2009, a group of British cavers led by Howard Limbert explored the cave’s interior, only then realizing that it was possibly the greatest cave in the world. Son Doong Cave has dethroned Malaysia’s Deer Cave as the world’s largest.

The water and limestone that carved it over millions of slow, patient years have created spectacular and unique formations. Occasional collapses in the roof have allowed underground jungle ecosystems to form, and with them, all-new species that have never been seen anywhere else. Rare cave pearls, ancient fossils, and towering stalactites form around a river running through the caves, which are so large that they form their own clouds.

Now that the caves have been thoroughly explored, the government has granted tour operators permission to host treks through the caves, which have already begun operating this summer. A visit will set you back at least USD $3,000.

Melchiah

http://www.newscientist.com/article...-turns-animals-into-statues.html#.UkwyrtL7o2S
Deadly lake turns animals into statues

ACCORDING to Dante, the Styx is not just a river but a vast, deathly swamp filling the entire fifth circle of hell. Perhaps the staff of New Scientist will see it when our time comes but, until then, Lake Natron in northern Tanzania does a pretty good job of illustrating Dante's vision.

Unless you are an alkaline tilapia (Alcolapia alcalica) – an extremophile fish adapted to the harsh conditions – it is not the best place to live. Temperatures in the lake can reach 60 °C, and its alkalinity is between pH 9 and pH 10.5.

The lake takes its name from natron, a naturally occurring compound made mainly of sodium carbonate, with a bit of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) thrown in. Here, this has come from volcanic ash, accumulated from the Great Rift valley. Animals that become immersed in the water die and are calcified.

Photographer Nick Brandt, who has a long association with east Africa – he directed the video for Michael Jackson's Earth Song there in 1995 – took a detour from his usual work when he discovered perfectly preserved birds and bats on the shoreline. "I could not help but photograph them," he says. "No one knows for certain exactly how they die, but it appears that the extreme reflective nature of the lake's surface confuses them, and like birds crashing into plate glass windows, they crash into the lake."

When salt islands form in the lake, lesser flamingos take the opportunity to nest – but it is a risky business, as this calcified bird (top) illustrates. The animals are all arranged in poses by the photographer. Above, on the right we have a sea eagle and on the left a dove, in what is surely the most horrific depiction of the "bird of peace" since Picasso's Guernica.

Brandt's new collection of photos featuring animals in east Africa, Across the Ravaged Land, is published by Abrams Books.

This article appeared in print under the headline "The lake that petrifies"

MYnn8of.jpg

ag30iCZ.jpg

dejay

Banned
Don't leave me in suspense, why IS Billy Joel hugging Natalie Portman?

Because he was looking for an uptown girl and he finally found her. He wanted to tell her about it. "I love you just the way you are," he told her. She was a bit young, but in Billy's own words, "I go to extremes. I'm not an innocent man according to the law, but it's my life and she's a modern woman."

It started a year earlier. After living in Vietnam, he didn't want to be a big shot any more, there was too much pressure being the entertainer, so he decided that moving out was the only solution. So he left Laura, who he didn't love any more because she was too old, and with a deep introspective honesty, admitted he could never get it right the first time. "Goodnight Saigon," he muttered to himself as the plane took off into an evening thunderstorm.

He debated with himself for the longest time on where to live next. Mentally, he was in no man's land. Vienna or somewhere in Europe appealed to him, but eventually he decided on moving back to the US. Everybody has a dream of making it big in tinsel town and he thought of moving to LA for a while but eventually he told himself, "I'm in a New York state of mind. That's where I want to restart my life."

So he said goodbye to Hollywood and drove across the country. The day before he was due to arrive in New York he stopped at Allentown for the night. Whilst there the hotel he was staying at caught fire and some of the hotel guests, including Billy, were blamed for the inferno. "We didn't start the fire", recalls a guest, "I believe it started started downstairs in the restaurant."

"You may be right", recalls Rosalinda, another guest who remembered the scenes from an Italian restaurant in the hotel, the flames almost visible in Rosalinda's eyes as she stared back into the past. Police investigations later confirmed the fire was started by the restaurant's usual piano man, who was set to sing that night. He set fire to his baby grand piano in a temperamental rage, screaming "Where's the orchestra? Where's the orchestra? It's still rock and roll to me!" They were literally famous last words.

When finally he arrived at New York after the incident he took to hanging around outside of high schools for a few months. Finally Natalie caught his eye and it was love at first sight. "Catholic girls start much too late," he told her. "Only the good die young. Come back to my place, earn some easy money. Don't worry, I won't hurt you. You can't resist me; you're only human. You'll remember this night for the rest of your life"

At first she was wary of the stranger, but she was a spiritual person it had always been a matter of trust to her and she was into "keeping the faith" as she called it. And so it goes; she goes to him and she's right on time. To many their love was sick and wrong because of her age, but to him, she's always a woman.

Because he was looking for an uptown girl and he finally found her. He wanted to tell her about it. "I love you just the way you are," he told her. She was a bit young, but in Billy's own words, "I go to extremes. I'm not an innocent man according to the law, but it's my life and she's a modern woman."

It started a year earlier. After living in Vietnam, he didn't want to be a big shot any more, there was too much pressure being the entertainer, so he decided that moving out was the only solution. So he left Laura, who he didn't love any more because she was too old, and with a deep introspective honesty, admitted he could never get it right the first time. "Goodnight Saigon," he muttered to himself as the plane took off into an evening thunderstorm.

He debated with himself for the longest time on where to live next. Mentally, he was in no man's land. Vienna or somewhere in Europe appealed to him, but eventually he decided on moving back to the US. Everybody has a dream of making it big in tinsel town and he thought of moving to LA for a while but eventually he told himself, "I'm in a New York state of mind. That's where I want to restart my life."

So he said goodbye to Hollywood and drove across the country. The day before he was due to arrive in New York he stopped at Allentown for the night. Whilst there the hotel he was staying at caught fire and some of the hotel guests, including Billy, were blamed for the inferno. "We didn't start the fire", recalls a guest, "I believe it started started downstairs in the restaurant."

"You may be right", recalls Rosalinda, another guest who remembered the scenes from an Italian restaurant in the hotel, the flames almost visible in Rosalinda's eyes as she stared back into the past. Police investigations later confirmed the fire was started by the restaurant's usual piano man, who was set to sing that night. He set fire to his baby grand piano in a temperamental rage, screaming "Where's the orchestra? Where's the orchestra? It's still rock and roll to me!" They were literally famous last words.

When finally he arrived at New York after the incident he took to hanging around outside of high schools for a few months. Finally Natalie caught his eye and it was love at first sight. "Catholic girls start much too late," he told her. "Only the good die young. Come back to my place, earn some easy money. Don't worry, I won't hurt you. You can't resist me; you're only human. You'll remember this night for the rest of your life"

At first she was wary of the stranger, but she was a spiritual person it had always been a matter of trust to her and she was into "keeping the faith" as she called it. And so it goes; she goes to him and she's right on time. To many their love was sick and wrong because of her age, but to him, she's always a woman.

You spent so much time on this, it deserves to be recognized. Well done.

jl4855

10/10 would sing again.

chiQ

Excellent.

Sorry if it's been done, didn't go through 127 pages....

Just found this on a crappy top 20 list of cool things parents do. Would it be wrong to impregnate my wife again just so I can do this?

enhanced-buzz-24497-1366923276-16.jpg

Top Bottom