• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

chiQ

ydwBwi3.png

DwJuyDf.png

OEiNSKn.jpg

xWXFn5I.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-23677990

Building codes don't exist just to be mean.

If the building collapses and kills inhabitants, I don' think many people are going to like the excuse, "but you should have seen how cool the roof looked!"

I don't think the lightweight plastic rocks will pull the building down. The owner also says that it's just the small sunroom off the house that is illegal. I guess we'll see about that.

neoism

tumblr_mqif6j3DgN1s7f3fyo1_1280.jpg

A diver holding a hose for breathing compressed air feeds fish at Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida, January 1955.

tumblr_mpdlkgnp9A1s7f3fyo1_1280.jpg

Crowds engulf Broadway on New Year’s Eve, January 1964.

tumblr_mmujrqmhSc1s7f3fyo1_1280.jpg

Buckets of iron ore are transported to a major steelworks in Hunedoara, Romania, November 1975

tumblr_mkdpjoTnY31s7f3fyo1_1280.jpg

A woman holds three seven-month old mountain lion kittens in Arizona.

tumblr_mjpjanX0IC1s7f3fyo1_1280.jpg

A close-up portrait of a coal miner in Omar, West Virginia, 1938.

shit load more.....

When I took chemistry as a sophomore in high school, I remember that our teacher opted not to do a demonstration with mercury that was in our text books, because he didn't want to expose himself to mercury vapors. He said something like, "For you guys, you'd just be exposed to it once, but I'd have to do it for multiple classes, year after year, and I'm just not going to risk my health, so let's discuss the experiment instead."

Funny how this guy doesn't mind splashing a cannonball into a vat of it.

RedSwirl

I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense.

Those pictures from the movie are supposed to take place in 1985, but the pictures on the right are of what they look like today, in 2013.

Unless when they filmed the movie they actually cast the actors based on their 1955 characters and then aged them for the 1985 parts of the movie.

Platy

I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense.

Those pictures from the movie are supposed to take place in 1985, but the pictures on the right are of what they look like today, in 2013.

Unless when they filmed the movie they actually cast the actors based on their 1955 characters and then aged them for the 1985 parts of the movie.

This.

Since the most part of the movie is set on 1955, it was easier to cast younger versions and make then 30 year older for the 1985 parts.

Which is why they had all the "rejuvenescent treatment" crap in the begining og Back to the Future 2, to have 1955 Doc all the time on the 2 sequels and make the special effects cheaper

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

That's what they did given all of those characters also appear as teenagers in the same film.

And the comparison image is showing them how their fake aged selves compare to how they actually looked when they reached that same age in reality.

RedSwirl

That's what they did given all of those characters also appear as teenagers in the same film.

And the comparison image is showing them how their fake aged selves compare to how they actually looked when they reached that same age in reality.

I never thought of this to be honest. Maybe it's because I never realized most of the movie is set in 1955.

Anyway, the movie is still only 28 years old.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I never thought of this to be honest. Maybe it's because I never realized most of the movie is set in 1955.

Anyway, the movie is still only 28 years old.

Considering the actors were actually older than the kids they were playing anyway, I think this would be referred to as "close enough".

Melchiah

H34D7Ds.png

Babirusa, meaning "Hog-deer", are members of the pig family found in Wallacea, or specifically the Indonesian islands of Sulawesi, Togian, Sula and Buru. If a babirusa does not grind its tusks (achievable through regular activity), they will eventually keep growing so as to penetrate the animal's own skull.

EayqwrVh.jpg

The pink fairy armadillo is approximately 3.5-4.5 inches long, excluding the tail, and is pale rose or pink in color. It has the ability to bury itself completely in a matter of seconds if frightened. It is a nocturnal animal and it burrows small holes near ant colonies in dry soil, and feeds mainly on ants and ant larvae near its burrow. It uses large front claws to agitate the sand, allowing it to almost swim through the ground like it is water. It is torpedo-shaped, and has a shielded head and back.

mc3GI2Ol.jpg

The markhor is a large species of wild goat that is found in northeastern Afghanistan and Pakistan. The species is classed by the IUCN as Endangered, as there are fewer than 2,500 mature individuals. The markhor is the national animal of Pakistan. While chewing the cud, a foam-like substance comes out of its mouth which drops on the ground and dries. This foam-like substance is sought after by the local people, who believe it is useful in extracting snake poison from snake bitten wounds.

jCg53CAh.jpg

Also known as the Kiwaidae, this crab is a type of marine decapod living at deep-sea hydrothermal vents and cold seeps. The animals are commonly referred to as "yeti crabs" because of their claws and legs, which are white and appear to be furry like the mythical yeti

wOYIhF2l.jpg

The Maned Wolf is the largest canid in South America, resembling a large fox with reddish fur. This mammal is found in open and semi-open habitats, especially grasslands with scattered bushes and trees throughout South America. The maned wolf is the tallest of the wild canids and it's long legs are most likely an adaptation to the tall grasslands of its native habitat.

B2bQ7jo.jpg

The southern right whale dolphin is a small and slender species of mammal found in cool waters of the southern hemisphere. They are fast active swimmers and have no visible teeth and no dorsal fin. They are very graceful and often move by leaping out of the water continuously.

CUOJ59n.jpg

It is a species of treehopper called Cyphonia Clavata that literally has an ant growing out of its head. Well not literally, the ant-like thing on its head is an appendage that hides the treehopper’s actual body from predators.

piIPhvth.jpg

The Patagonian Mara is a relatively large rodent found in parts of Argentina. This herbivorous, somewhat rabbit-like animal has distinctive long ears and long limbs and its hind limbs are longer and more muscular than its forelimbs.

More here: Animals that you didn't know existed.

piIPhvth.jpg

The Patagonian Mara is a relatively large rodent found in parts of Argentina. This herbivorous, somewhat rabbit-like animal has distinctive long ears and long limbs and its hind limbs are longer and more muscular than its forelimbs.

We've got these at our local zoo. They must reproduce rapidly, as I've often parts of them in buckets near the tiger cages. The zoo people call it "surplus animals", guess it's just a forced circle of life :)

Melchiah

QFS

Video: http://www.boredpanda.com/ballerina-with-knife-shoes-performs-en-pointe-javier-perez/
A ballerina, whose pointe shoes are extended by a set of sharp kitchen knives, dances and twirls insistently until reaching exhaustion, fighting to maintain balance on the lid of a grand piano set on a stage. The theatre with its red velvet warm lighting, resembles an oversized music box. The camera turns around the dancer revealing the opposite side of the room: an empty and painfully bare theatre.

The ballerina appears as an eerie figure expressing effort, sacrifice and pain in her strive for perfection. Both fragile and cruel. Initially shy and hesitant, her steps become more and more emphatic, menacing and not exempt of violence, scraping and cutting into the delicate surface of the piano with her sharp pointe shoes.

Through this work, Javier Perez investigates and reflects once again upon the human condition. Using a strongly metaphorical language rich in powerful symbolism, he reveals the weaknesses that become the boundaries between seemingly irreconcilable concepts such as: beauty and cruelty, fragility and violence, culture and nature or life and death.

414YSRGERSL._SY346_.jpg

Anna knew She had to have a new pair of shoes today, and Carlo had helped her try on every pair in the store. Carlo spoke wearily, "Well, that's it. That’s every pair of shoes in the place."
"Oh, you must have one more pair. . . .”
"No, not one more . . . . Well, we have the cruel shoes, but no one would want to try . . .
“Yes, let me see the cruel shoes!"
"No, you don't understand, you see, the cruel shoes are . . .'
"Get them!"

Irminsul

Any idea on where that is? It look like it's in Germany because of the traffic sign reading "Umleitung" (I think), but where exactly?

EDIT: OK, found it. It's in Stuttgart. And as this is far too edgy for Swabia, the house allegedly doesn't exist anymore.

Melchiah

Any idea on where that is? It look like it's in Germany because of the traffic sign reading "Umleitung" (I think), but where exactly?

EDIT: OK, found it. It's in Stuttgart. And as this is far too edgy for Swabia, the house allegedly doesn't exist anymore.

Ah, I had no idea where it was taken from. Good detective work. =)

TCRS

Banned

loool fucking swabia. In Berlin it would still be standing.

good god that spider gif. terrifying.

Top Bottom