• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

AcridMeat

Banned
I know I've seen some Zszislaw Beksinski here before but hopefully not these.
ogj280V.jpg

fjxuR3a.jpg

o2mUgT9.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa

Krakatoa is/was a volcanic island in Indonesia.

In 1883, a giant eruption killed 36,000 people and 2/3 of the island vanished.

Then in 1927, a new island was formed via eruption, Anak Krakatau.

People took photos&videos back then when the volcano breached the surface of the sea:
R3jK6z4.jpg

Over time the new island grew:
lZtvlGx.gif

This is how Anak Krakatau looks today:
U2vxxtp.jpg

Lots of plants and animals managed to settle the basically sterile new island within just a human lifetime.
This is "normal" of course, but I find it awesome that it happened within a timeframe we're able to document with actual footage.

oh and this kinda stood out:
When the first researchers reached the islands in May 1884, the only living thing they found was a spider in a crevice
So much for the nuke-it-from-orbit solution D:

Log4Girlz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa

Krakatoa is/was a volcanic island in Indonesia.

In 1883, a giant eruption killed 36,000 people and 2/3 of the island vanished.

Then in 1927, a new island was formed via eruption, Anak Krakatau.

People took photos&videos back then when the volcano breached the surface of the sea:
R3jK6z4.jpg

Over time the new island grew:
lZtvlGx.gif

This is how Anak Krakatau looks today:
U2vxxtp.jpg

Lots of plants and animals managed to settle the basically sterile new island within just a human lifetime.
This is "normal" of course, but I find it awesome that it happened within a timeframe we're able to document with actual footage.

oh and this kinda stood out:

So much for the nuke-it-from-orbit solution D:

What did you expect, spiders created it.

luoapp

I don't want to be "that guy", but I think the "Beetle and Frog" photo was staged, and most like the beetle was dead. That floating rear claw is a dead giveaway. Beetles always try to clutch to something, especially with the rear legs since those are the strongest, and push the belly off the ground.
TGwqC7u.jpg

Then there is the rainforest frog. I am not saying all pictures of rainforest frogs are fraud, but many of them are, including the famous "frog using a leaf as an umbrella" one. Sorry, guys.

I don't want to be "that guy", but I think the "Beetle and Frog" photo was staged, and most like the beetle was dead. That floating rear claw is a dead giveaway. Beetles always try to clutch to something, especially with the rear legs since those are the strongest, and push the belly off the ground.
TGwqC7u.jpg

Then there is the rainforest frog. I am not saying all pictures of rainforest frogs are fraud, but many of them are, including the famous "frog using a leaf as an umbrella" one. Sorry, guys.

I didn't say anything.

Leunam

Could you elaborate? How was it discovered that the umbrella picture was fake?

luoapp

Could you elaborate? How was it discovered that the umbrella picture was fake?

xJR4XS3.jpg

The most obvious sign says it's fake? The branch the frog stands on is a piece of aloe, which simply doesn't have leaves like that. Also that red blob at its left knee? Most likely a bruise caused by the photographer forcing the frog to that posture. The whole scene is very unnatural and doesn't fit rainforest frog's living character, they like humid environment, and should enjoy rain very much. Also the "rain" is too dense and uniform, most likely came from a watering can.

Sorry to ruin your fun.

CTLance

It's been four months, so I guess we could once again post this (click for wiki):

All of the pics are from http://www.daily mail.co.uk/news/article-2139914/A-rare-insight-Kowloon-Walled-City.html - remove the space to get the full URL.

Living in that gargantuan ever-shifting 3D maze sounds kinda assy, but exploring it? Hell yes. That's like... real-life dungeon crawling. I'd totally be up for it. (Or rather, would have been, seeing as that thing was demolished twenty years ago.)

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibeJK1GWhtjLGr.gif[/IMG]
Wow. Such action. Much shootings. Very acrobat.
Appleseed, right? Brings back memories. Gotta have to admit though, that unnecessary cartwheel of hers made me chuckle.

Melchiah

Beauty & Decay: Buildings Made Out Of Human Remains Photo Essay
http://www.cvltnation.com/beauty-decay-buildings-made-human-remains-photo-essay/
More pics in the link.

QFS
9AaqLIi.jpg

The Eggenburg Charnel in Eggenburg, Austria, with the remains of 5,800 people. It was constructed in the early 14th century.

l9JYiHL.jpg

The Capela dos Ossos (The Chapel of Bones) in Évora, Portugal, a 16th century chapel built by a Franciscan monk.The small chapel (it’s only 61.3 ft long and 36 ft wide) contains skulls and bones of about 5000 monks. There are two desiccated corpses, one of which is a child, dangle from an iron chain.

3NOczmU.jpg

2sMhiOJ.jpg

yTQnKCN.jpg

Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins (Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini), Rome, Italy, designed by Antonio Casoni, built between 1626 and 1631, commissioned by Pope Urban VIII.The Capuchin Crypt contains the remains of 3,700 friars buried between 1528 and 1870. The bodies spent 30 years decomposing in the soil before being exhumed.

vjV1heC.jpg

The ossuary under St. Jacob’s Square (Jakubske namesti) and partially the Church of St. James in Brno, Czech Republic with more than 50,000 skeletons from the 17th and 18th centuries, rediscovered in 2001. It’s been opened to public since June 2012.

HZa7fTI.jpg

The ossuary under the Monastery of San Francisco in Lima, Peru. The church and monastery were consecrated in 1673, and the catacombs were used until 1808.

7OUcaVE.jpg

The ossuary of San Bernardino alle Ossa, a 13th century church in Milan, Italy.On the site of the church there was a cemetery between 1145 and 1210, when a chamber was built to house all the bones. A chruch was attached in 1269, restorated in 1679 by Giovanni Andrea Biffi, who decorated the walls of the ossuary with bones and skulls.

TX3vH1Q.jpg

The Capela de Ossos, a small chapel built out of bones. And there is a complete skeleton covered in gold, too! It was built in 1719, and stands in Faro, Portugal.

uM9tg49.jpg

The Hallstatt Beinhaus with more than 1200 skulls in Hallstatt, Austria.The new skulls are painted since the 1720s, and 610 of them has decorations.

PCUtqCq.jpg

Tk5QWj9.jpg

The Skull Chapel, a mass grave of people who died during the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648), three Silesian Wars (1740-1763) and some others who died because of hunger, cholera or other deadly infections in Czermna, Poland, built in 1776.

JaNVnxd.jpg

GKTL8jc.jpg

The Catacombs of Paris, France, opened in the late 18th century.There are more than 200 miles (320 km) of labyrinthine tunnels under Paris, and a small part of that (1.1 mi or 1.7 km) is an underground ossuary which holds the remains of six to seven million people.

dCWEzZI.jpg

The Goldbar in New York City with golden skull decorations.

I've visited the Catacombs of Paris myself, and it was an awesome place. I hope to visit some of the other ones some day as well.

AcridMeat

Banned
I wonder how many people have come back alive after visiting that headquarters. Looks like you would find people experimenting on living brains or something.

I mean brains that have been removed from the body. I realize how silly that sounded hahaha

Loxley

I'm curious how much Cruise/Travolta money is in that place. The Church of Scientology has never struck me as being particularly wealthy.

I'm curious how much Cruise/Travolta money is in that place. The Church of Scientology has never struck me as being particularly wealthy.

Really? That's like the whole point of why it exists.

(and power/influence but that's kinda the same thing as money nowadays)

btw I like how they need world-domination-glass-displays of Earth :p

Melchiah

http://www.demilked.com/jee-young-lee-surreal-photography-studio-room/
Korean Artist Transforms Her Small Studio Into Dreamlike Worlds Without Photoshop

Korean artist Jee Young Lee’s beautiful dreamscapes are living proof that you don’t need Photoshop or even a large studio space to create amazing surreal images. She creates all of these scenes by hand in a room that is only 3.6 x 4.1 x 2.4 meters and then inserts herself into the pictures. Some of these self portraits represent her own experiences, dreams and memories, while others represent traditional Korean folk tales and legends.
More pics in the link.

FCmvT0N.jpg

85eXmJo.jpg

g7vjY17.jpg

zw7EFwP.jpg

MxvG0rO.jpg

thHgPfm.jpg

pyrrl3i.jpg

FkZZlmK.jpg

Melchiah

QFS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawah_Putih
Kawah Putih (English: White Crater) is a striking crater lake and tourist spot in a volcanic crater about 50 km south of Bandung in West Java in Indonesia.

The Kawah Putih site was opened to visitors in 1987. The lake is 2,430 meters above sea level so the local climate is often quite chilly (temperatures are frequently around 10 degrees celsius). This makes a brisk change from the humidity of the north Java plain and the capital city of Jakarta. Kawah Putih is a sizeable highly acid lake (pH 0.5-1.3) which changes colour from bluish to whitish green, or brown, depending on the concentration of sulfur and the temperature or the oxidation state.[4] The sand and rocks surrounding the lake have been also leached into whitish colours through interaction with the acidic lake waters (with possible mineral precipitation as well).

elseanio

Beauty & Decay: Buildings Made Out Of Human Remains Photo Essay
http://www.cvltnation.com/beauty-decay-buildings-made-human-remains-photo-essay/
More pics in the link.

QFS

I've visited the Catacombs of Paris myself, and it was an awesome place. I hope to visit some of the other ones some day as well.

I visited the Catacombs by myself. By that, I also mean I met NO ONE whilst I was walking through it. It was a really odd experience. I was surprised at how quickly I became accustomed to there being thousands of skulls around me..

Melchiah

I visited the Catacombs by myself. By that, I also mean I met NO ONE whilst I was walking through it. It was a really odd experience. I was surprised at how quickly I became accustomed to there being thousands of skulls around me..

I wish my experience had been the same, as there were about dozen other tourists, who were constantly blabbering and taking pics with a flash. It definitely took away a portion of the atmosphere.

Portia spider hunting another spider:

GjaS3N1.gif

This type of spider is intelligent enough to learn how to hunt web spiders they or their ancestors would have never encountered before.

from the second Micro Monsters episode

The stalking before the kill is the cooler part, it somehow can calm and direct the other spider back to the center by playing on certain strings of the web (letmeplayyouthesongofmypeople.jpg).

Top Bottom