• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

MrBig

Well they are currently getting started with construction of the Siberian tunnel that will run from Russia to Alaska. That will be cargo only and won't be finished for 10-20 years, but at least it shows that people transport like that could be possible soon after everyone here is dead.

Cross Atlantic travel won't be possible though.

antipod

Granger Danger said:
World subway map

Seems like the routes aren't well planned at all. I mean: Moscow to Warzaw and then Helsinki? Moscow to St Petersburg to Helsinki would make A LOT more sense.

Kinyou

MrBig said:
Well they are currently getting started with construction of the Siberian tunnel that will run from Russia to Alaska. That will be cargo only and won't be finished for 10-20 years, but at least it shows that people transport like that could be possible soon after everyone here is dead.

Cross Atlantic travel won't be possible though.
Though I think there were some projects that were trying that.

massiveEurotunnel.jpg

With making the trains drive in a vacuum they could also go much faster than on land.

MrBig

Kinyou said:

http://www.circlesandlines.de/media/imageLibrary/normal/massiveEurotunnel.jpg[IMG]

With making the trains drive in a vacuum they could also go much faster than on land.[/QUOTE]
I considered a solution like that but then I realized there would be so many problems with it that it would be more cost, safety, and time efficient to keep it jet/shuttle. Once passenger planes are built that can travel above the stratosphere the time could be cut down to around an hour or so.

With a passenger tunnel like that it wouldn't be like laying cross-atlantic cables, you'd have to tether it somehow that would actually work in the deep ocean areas, trenches, currents, vents, pressure, routing etc. Versus in the siberian tunnel, that was originally a land bridge and so does not have as much problems as would that project, not even to mention the distance. It would probably cost trillions of dollars and generations of work.

Prez

Kinyou said:

http://www.circlesandlines.de/media/imageLibrary/normal/massiveEurotunnel.jpg[IMG]

With making the trains drive in a vacuum they could also go much faster than on land.[/QUOTE]

How do you get these tunnels to float underwater with those chains?

big_z

Stabbie said:
How do you get these tunnels to float underwater with those chains?

i think the chains are to keep the tunnel from moving with the current.
im not even sure if the tubes would float if they are vacuums. with no air inside it would be like solid metal in water which would sink.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Darklord said:
Interesting idea but I don't like the idea of having to hike about 2000km east to get home from the Melbourne station.

Nonsense, I hear the Nullarbor is nice this time of year.

Echoplx

Darklord said:
Interesting idea but I don't like the idea of having to hike about 2000km east to get home from the Melbourne station.

Well it should be assumed that if the worlds infrastructure is this advanced the each countries would be improved as well.

This is Australia we're talking about though...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
big_z said:
i think the chains are to keep the tunnel from moving with the current.
im not even sure if the tubes would float if they are vacuums. with no air inside it would be like solid metal in water which would sink.
last i checked, near vacuum is less dense than air and also much much much less dense than solid metal.

a baloon doesn't float because it has air in it [floating is not a property of air], it floats because whatever is in it and made up in the plastic is less dense than the water.

Prez

Darklord said:

Wait, what? If you go 2000km east from Melbourne you're in the Pacific Ocean, 1500km off the coast of Australia.

big_z

Pandaman said:
last i checked, near vacuum is less dense than air and also much much much less dense than solid metal.

a baloon doesn't float because it has air in it [floating is not a property of air], it floats because whatever is in it and made up in the plastic is less dense than the water.

fuck i knew that. for some reason i was thinking a vacuum would cancel itself out since it's nothing. time for bed.

Mik2121

Granger Danger said:
Yeah.. whoever made this didn't really try to make it.. make sense (even if the whole 'world train network' isn't really the most reasonable idea..). And also some of the lines don't seem to make much sense. Like why would Hokkaido be separated from the rest of the Japan lines... lol :p

It makes me want to make my own version of that map.. :D

Kinyou

MrBig said:
I considered a solution like that but then I realized there would be so many problems with it that it would be more cost, safety, and time efficient to keep it jet/shuttle. Once passenger planes are built that can travel above the stratosphere the time could be cut down to around an hour or so.

With a passenger tunnel like that it wouldn't be like laying cross-atlantic cables, you'd have to tether it somehow that would actually work in the deep ocean areas, trenches, currents, vents, pressure, routing etc. Versus in the siberian tunnel, that was originally a land bridge and so does not have as much problems as would that project, not even to mention the distance. It would probably cost trillions of dollars and generations of work.
Hm and I guess it would need to be extremely well defended from terrorist attacks too, which would make it even more expensive and just as uncomfortable as airtravel

TheYanger said:
I know that's tongue in cheek, but I wonder if the air pressure up there would even be high enough? I mean you can't even reliably fly helicopters that high, I know next to nothing about flight mechanics though. K2 and Everest and all the eight thousanders are really interesting, it sounds absolutely terrifying yet so exhilarating at the same time, but so many lives lost it's absurd.

And just so I'm posting a picture, K2, the mountain that doesn't give a fuck.

ictu0y.jpg
god I'm going through such snowboarding withdrawals right now

Kinyou

MetalAlien said:
Yea but they are so strict, do you think it would count?
Hard to say, I mean they probably wouldn't be able exactly track the time since the car flies over the sensors, but maybe if he could prove that it wasn't intentional.... :?
Sure would make a great movie.

MetalAlien

Banned
Kinyou said:
Hard to say, I mean they probably wouldn't be able exactly track the time since the car flies over the sensors, but maybe if he could prove that it wasn't intentional.... :?
Sure would make a great movie.
Some Ricky Bobby stuff right there. :)

Top Bottom