• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

BHZ Mayor

This somehow seems quite fearsome...

No.
His point is that if it's not successful, pubs out there will keep thinking that only brown shootbang sell or spunkgargleweewee like someone else says.
And you avatar while not spunkgargleweewee is actually rather pandering too.

What are you talking about? What is "spunkgargleweewee"? How is my avatar pandering? Have you ever played Ratchet and Clank?

I think I'm done with this discussion. This is getting way off track.

Mael

What are you talking about? What is "spunkgargleweewee"? How is my avatar pandering? Have you ever played Ratchet and Clank?

I think I'm done with this discussion. This is getting way off track.

Your avatar isn't but R&C certainly is, tried a few and well it's not the most original thing ever.
And brown shootbang is probably more to your taste regarding the image you quoted.

BHZ Mayor

Your avatar isn't but R&C certainly is, tried a few and well it's not the most original thing ever.
And brown shootbang is probably more to your taste regarding the image you quoted.

Yeah, no. I actually hate the direction the industry has taken as far as the typical AAA action game goes, but if you're going to try to be dismissive based on my tastes (which you're wrong about by the way), then there's no point in trying to continue this discussion, because not only has this gotten off-topic, I also think you're just fishing for an argument at this point.

Mael

Yeah, no. I actually hate the direction the industry has taken as far as the typical AAA action game goes, but there's no point in trying to continue this discussion. I think you're just fishing for an argument at this point.

Nah I just don't like R&C....
But hey you're in the Pikmin thread after all so yeah I shouldn't have picked that angle.
This thread needs more Pikmin shots though.

I have played it during an event and while I can never say it was ugly some of these shots are downright awesome!
Also Pad only is lame as far as this game goes.

Nah I just don't like R&C....
But hey you're in the Pikmin thread after all so yeah I shouldn't have picked that angle.
This thread needs more Pikmin shots though.

I have played it during an event and while I can never say it was ugly some of these shots are downright awesome!
Also Pad only is lame as far as this game goes.

Please elaborate.

Hoodbury

(it is kind of annoying that the game only really allows a single story mode slot).

This is no good. This was the one game my wife said looks neat. She doesn't game much with me, but I really thought this would be the one game she would actually try playing through. She loved the Pikmin game in NintendoLand and I showed her the trailer for Pikmin 3 from e3.

So now we both can't have a story mode? WTF is up with that? Even Luigi's ghost mansion has 3 save slots and that's a portable game where people usually own their own system.

This is really quite disappointing. Sigh.

Mael

Please elaborate.

Well it's like on GC, you only control the target where you're aiming and thus you're not in total control like on Wii where you could target and throw whereever you wanted.
The camera was awfully close too...
also you can't control with the pad touchscreen so there's really no point in using that method. I mean apart from the obvious map displayed there.
You can't interact with the player character or pikmin this way AT ALL.

Also if you log on WiiU on another user, do you have another save or something?
I mean like ZombiU or like NSMBU?

Well it's like on GC, you only control the target where you're aiming and thus you're not in total control like on Wii where you could target and throw whereever you wanted.
The camera was awfully close too...
also you can't control with the pad touchscreen so there's really no point in using that method. I mean apart from the obvious map displayed there.
You can't interact with the player character or pikmin this way AT ALL.

Also if you log on WiiU on another user, do you have another save or something?
I mean like ZombiU or like NSMBU?

So why don´t u use the Wiimote instead?

So GAF, is there any correlation to a pre-release OT thread not being able to stay on the front page and the games potential sales or hype level?

I'm bumping this thread from the 3rd page now. Even yesterday when this thread was newly created it was constantly falling to the second page.

So I'm just curious, if even we GAFers can't talk a lot about a niche style game that is a "gamers game", what hope does it have for a console with low count's itself?

Makes me worried I guess. The last WII U OT I was heavily invested in was the Monster Hunter one and I think we were pretty close to making the OT 2 before the game even came out. But this one is barely getting any posts at all.

What's up with that?
I've never really participated in a Nintendo OT before, but my experience is that the more there is to talk about, the more people will talk. Outtrigger, I think, brought up the point that because a lot of people don't have the game, there's not much to talk about. When the game comes out in Europe and the US I think you'll see a lot more activity. Personally, I'm incredibly hyped for Pikmin 3, but I don't have much to talk about because I don't have the game. You'll see me plenty more active when I get my grubby little hands on it.

I don't know if there's any correlation between how many pages a gaming OT has on GAF and how well it'll sell to the general public. Sure, there are/were OTs like Halo 3 back in the day that were as massive as the hype surrounding that game. Obviously someone could eventually do some kind of research to see if there's any correlation, but until then I don't think it's worth it to worry about how a game will sell judging by how many comments there are in its OT on GAF.

Mael

So why don´t u use the Wiimote instead?

I was at an event and wanted to try that, it's probably better with other control methods.
I only tried with the Pad only because that's what I wanted to try.
So I like what little I did play but the control method didn't convince me at all as far as pad use goes.
That's all I'm saying.

I've never really participated in a Nintendo OT before, but my experience is that the more there is to talk about, the more people will talk. Outtrigger, I think, brought up the point that because a lot of people don't have the game, there's not much to talk about. When the game comes out in Europe and the US I think you'll see a lot more activity. Personally, I'm incredibly hyped for Pikmin 3, but I don't have much to talk about because I don't have the game. You'll see me plenty more active when I get my grubby little hands on it.

Nope, not me
:)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This is no good. This was the one game my wife said looks neat. She doesn't game much with me, but I really thought this would be the one game she would actually try playing through. She loved the Pikmin game in NintendoLand and I showed her the trailer for Pikmin 3 from e3.

So now we both can't have a story mode? WTF is up with that? Even Luigi's ghost mansion has 3 save slots and that's a portable game where people usually own their own system.

I'd be pretty surprised if loading the game on a different Wii U user account didn't let her start her own save data. I know some games don't do that, but they also typically have multiple slots. A single-slot game should probably let you do it.

Hoodbury

I'd be pretty surprised if loading the game on a different Wii U user account didn't let her start her own save data. I know some games don't do that, but they also typically have multiple slots. A single-slot game should probably let you do it.

Hmm, that would make sense and I would be fine with that. Farmboy, if you're still checking in can you give that a try with your review copy? Or anyone else if they have a Japan copy?

Probably not as big of a deal as you think. Reasonably certain you can just make a Wii U profile for her and she can log in with that and have her own save slot.

I can check for you when I get the game. Might be a few weeks though since August is a move month for me.

EDIT: I apparently suck at reading and this has already been answered.

D-e-f-

Banned

Why? You know you have user accounts on Wii U, don't you? New account -> new save. Problem solved.

edit: beaten ofc ... :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Errr, what?

Yeah, as far as I can tell, there's no way to aim with the right analog stick. It's used only for camera controls, which seems bananas to me. I can think of like two or three different control schemes that would work better than this. Up until the first boss when I could take things slowly, I wasn't really bothered by this, but I would describe the game as pretty much unplayable with the gamepad in situations where you need to act quickly.

Aguila

#ICONIC
New review score to be added to the OP

GamesTM - Pikmin 3 - 9/10

Gotcha.

Waiting for more.

iosUjC0AwpXdo.gif

Farmboy

Hmm, that would make sense and I would be fine with that. Farmboy, if you're still checking in can you give that a try with your review copy? Or anyone else if they have a Japan copy?

Good news everyone!

That does indeed work (switching accounts on the system). Sorry to cause alarm. I was meaning to check that out, actually, but then simply forgot about the option. So yeah: switch accounts to access a new/personal save slot.

Roo

So I read the game sold 102k copies in 48 hours. Meaning it is 53% of Nintendo's initial Pikmin 3 stock.

Pretty good imo.

Mlatador

Banned
I pre-ordered the game. The EU price is €49,99 by the way.

Not if you pre-ordered it from the UK. That market is batshit insane. I don't even know what's going on there but I do know that I pre-ordered my copy for 27 pounds, which are about 32 € shipping included. To be honest I almost feel dirty...

Kid Ying

If you're walking and using the pad, you can only throw at the direction you're walking. If you stop, you can thrown at any place you want.

I'm playing with the pad and i'm not having much problems, but i don't add any value whatsoever for the game.

Nisa65

Was up to 3am last night playing this. It's definitely one of my favourite games of the year so far alongside The Last of Us.

"Just one more day" is something many of you will be thinking as you unwittingly spend hours on end playing it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Was up to 3am last night playing this. It's definitely one of my favourite games of the year so far alongside The Last of Us.

"Just one more day" is something many of you will be thinking as you unwittingly spend hours on end playing it.

I said damn, considering the praise TLOU gets around here

I SAID DAMN

getting HYPE. Show me your launch window pikmans, nintendo.

Remember that feeling when a fat monster just rolls sideways over a whole group of pikmin, and all their little ghosts float up in the air? Well, time to experience that pain in HD.

ameleco

Oh cool so purple and white pikmin are in this! I wondered what happened to them. Glad they do appear in this game even if not in story mode.

I loved Pikmin even before I was conscious that it was a Nintendo franchise. So far, this game has delivered. It's strikingly beautiful in some areas and in some aspects, but its roots as a Wii game show. Some of the geometry is strikingly low (but not all of it is). That out of the way, the game plays well, the pad is responsive, the story is fun so far, the characters and animations are engaging and it doesn't hold your hand too much. On that last point, I mean, that it doesn't stop the action each time something new comes up and while there is text on the screen guiding/advising you, you can continue with your progress if you know what to do. The Charlie prologue is cool and sets a slightly ominous tone, while Alph's story is much more pleasant. So far it's been fairly relaxed.

I like that you can now tap A once to pull out all the Pikmin that have hatched. I also like that there is a 'safe zone' around the Onion for your Pikmin at the end of the day. That way, you're not forced to go and collect all the Pikmin there, which makes more sense. Looking around the map on the pad, and using it to take photos is fun, but not essential to the experience.

I'm only 3 days in
and about to face the first boss
, but so far I'm incredibly happy to finally be playing a game I first wanted to see eight years ago.

Finally:
zlCfzRDe5pEDL4C_kQ

zlCfzRDe9-QSAlX6SV

zlCfzRDfGkg_PfoJMf

PS The fruit looks mouth-wateringly good.

Has anyone revealed what happens when you beat the game (100% including beating and obtaining platinum medals in all of challenge mode and got all the fruits/hidden koppad notes/cleared story)?

Tony91

Just used some time to read the digital manual of the game, you can actually use your LEFT stick to AIM ONLY with the gamepad, to do so you'll have to keep R pressed, your AIM will move, but your character won't!

I'm also pretty sure the game tutorials don't explain this, but when you lock-on a target (Hold ZL), you can command all your Pikmins to charge by pressing the B button on your gamepad.

Amikami

Banned
Man I can't wait to play this. I wish the US release wasn't so late and even then, I'm going to have to hold off because of finals.

My pikmin aren't quite ready. Heh, got so excited I had my avatar changed just to get ready.

Top Bottom