• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Cheska

To me this is a slap in the face. I didn't buy a Wii U to use the wiimote and nunchuk.

Anyone using the pro controller?

I can completely understand. I try to avoid using the wii mote when I can as I'm left handed and a lot of games feel awkward in the manner. However, Pikmin 3 just feels easier with those controls.

Got to play for a few hours this morning.

Short answer is, it's a master class in game design. Hard to explain, but the story and game mechanics are so tightly integrated that it has 3 simultaneous stories going on:

The story of Alf, Brittany and Charlie trying to save their planet
The story of the Pikmin's relationship with their new "friends" from Koppai
A story about man's relationship to nature.

Some serious high context stuff going on here. To say nothing about the game's impeccable level, general mechanics and art design.

One of a handful of games you could write an entire college paper about.

Ok im n the fence. I want to buy this game bit dont know if its worth 60 bucks. I hear its very short like 16hrs. I just dont know why nintendo cant add more online to there games so i could play other modes with people. Maybe im wrong can u guys sell me on it so i can just go buy it.

Eusis

Ok im n the fence. I want to buy this game bit dont know if its worth 60 bucks. I hear its very short like 16hrs. I just dont know why nintendo cant add more online to there games so i could play other modes with people. Maybe im wrong can u guys sell me on it so i can just go buy it.
Quality, not quantity.

Plus that's longer than many non-RPG games on consoles anyway.

Shahadan

It's designed to be replayed (and you WILL want to replay it) on top of the challenging Mission Mode, so you'll be playing more than that.
And it's worth every buck.

It's by no means a long game, although considering the length of games nowadays it's still okay in that regard.
At worst, just sell it once you're completely done, Nintendo games don't really dorp in price so you'll be okay.

Hm. Got to the first boss on the fifth day and beat him while losing 20 pikmin. An admirable first encounter, if I do say so myself. Though I did know what to expect, what to take, and what his weaknesses were going on. I don't know anything about the bosses later on so I imagine they'll be much tougher than this guy. How many bosses are in the game? Guess you can put this in spoiler tags because other people might not want to know.

Shahadan

Hm. Got to the first boss on the fifth day and beat him while losing 20 pikmin. An admirable first encounter, if I do say so myself. Though I did know what to expect, what to take, and what his weaknesses were going on. I don't know anything about the bosses later on so I imagine they'll be much tougher than this guy. How many bosses are in the game? Guess you can put this in spoiler tags because other people might not want to know.

You'll lose a lot of pikmins on the later ones :lol:

Got to play for a few hours this morning.

Short answer is, it's a master class in game design. Hard to explain, but the story and game mechanics are so tightly integrated that it has 3 simultaneous stories going on:

The story of Alf, Brittany and Charlie trying to save their planet
The story of the Pikmin's relationship with their new "friends" from Koppai
A story about man's relationship to nature.

Some serious high context stuff going on here. To say nothing about the game's impeccable level, general mechanics and art design.

One of a handful of games you could write an entire college paper about.

Agree with this for sure. You and I seem to be on a similar wavelength.

Side note, but I also have a really soft spot for a lot of the sound design in this title. It's often an under-rated part of game development, but the sound design is crucial on titles like this. The button press chimes and the music when you're going off to space are so spot on it feels fun just interacting even with menus and interfaces.

And again, like Mario Galaxy, this game just oozes the kind of charisma that makes people fall in love with it.

Seriously though, yes there are themes here, but you can infer more than what is outright implied. It's just a game

Bolded could be said about anything in any medium. Mullholland Drive - it's just a movie.

Frodo

The story mode will take around 15 hours to complete. Maybe a little bit more if you try to collect all the fruit. Apart from that there are Mission and Bingo mode. Bingo is multiplayer. On Mission mode you can play by yourself or co-op multiplayer. There are 3 different sub modes: you can Collect Treasures, Battle Bosses, or Battle Enemies (if you already defeated them on the Story mode). It can be pretty addicting, since there are online leader-boards and it is quite fun to try better times.

I think it is worth the price of the admission ticket by the Story mode alone. Mission definitely adds a lot of replay value. Game is great and one of a kind. And you can always sell it after you play...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For people on the fence about the game due to length, who aren't familiar with the Pikmin series - you may want to consider how much you like to come back to games that are highly replayable.

The first two Pikmins are just about eternally replayable as the fundamental nature of Pikmin is so non-linear. There's always a better way to attack it. Adding leaderboards to Pikmin 3 was a good idea to really push this aspect of the series.

If you like non-linear and replayable games, I think there's a lot of value here. If you don't really replay games, then it's going to be less.

popeutlal

Completed day 1, beautiful looking game. Don't think the game will do much at retail. The GameStop guy was surprised how few copies were shipped at different locations, 3-4 at most.

zroid

Banned
I beat both the (first?) mini-boss
(long legs spider)
and the main boss
(sand worm thing)
of the tropical island level without losing any Pikmins. Feels good, mang.

dodge whistle is OP :p

Teknoman

This is one game where I can not divide my attention with off TV play. I get so stressed(in a good way) when I leave behind Pikmin or spend to much time with one thing while another leader could be doing something else. I've done my day 7 or like 5 times before I was satisfied. Much like Fire Emblem, I probably won't ever finish this game with the way I play. Really enjoying myself though.

Did anyone else sit over a trail of ants as a kid, give them insects and people food and watched how they worked to fight and get it all back home? This reminds me of that.

Heh right there with you.

Could but should'nt.anyone can fill in the blanks and project their own views into anything. Whether or not that negates the intended message or not from miyamato, in this case, is an entirely different matter.

I'm not arguing projecting your views is right or wrong. I'm saying boiling anything down to "it's just a [game/book/movie/manga/etc.]" is implying there's no important or meaningful content in whatever medium.

Teknoman

Its really fun, has extra challenges, looks great, and has a really cool soundtrack. There.

Got the game a couple of days before EU launch.

It's absolutely incredible, more than lived up to my high expectations.

Took me about 15 hours to complete the SP mode (40 days, 3/4 of the fruit) and I was addicted to the challenge modes treasure collect levels.

Put just under 25 hours into it and I think I'm done now but it's an amazing game and it's pushing TLOU and Bioshock Infinite very close as the GOTY for me. By far the best game for the WiiU, Miyamoto is a genius.

Hope everyone who got their copy today enjoys it !.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
To me this is a slap in the face. I didn't buy a Wii U to use the wiimote and nunchuk.

Anyone using the pro controller?
There are few games that make wiimote and nunchuck perform better than any orher controller released, or about to be released. I can think of PES Playmaker, my favorite Wii series. And Pikmin 3.

It wasn't out, and the gentleman helping out while the main electronics department person was on break intimated after checking with the handheld inventory gadget that they had no copies in. Which was odd, because when I got home the online inventory thingamajig indicated that they did have stock.

I got it at Target today. I didn't see any on the shelf, so I asked the guy for help. I told him the online site said they had it in stock...he said "be right back" and came out from the back 7 minutes later with the game.

I said, "Yaaaayyy"

MAX PAYMENT

I used the Gamepad for the 25 hours I've played it and it's honestly fine. Takes an hour to get used to it and then it's like second nature.
I feel like the game was designed for the game pad. I get some massive multi tasking going on with it that I can't on wii remote.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Another EU player here. I got it a few days early thanks to GameUK selling download codes.

Such a great game. Currently on day 62 and I'm in the process of collecting all the fruit before heading for the final boss. I should add that I haven't replayed any days, except for one day where I accidentally drowned 40 rock pikmin....I can still hear their cries :( anyway, I'm currently at 19hours of playtime. Haven't touched any other mode except the story mode.

Also dem graphics on the 5th boss!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There are few games that make wiimote and nunchuck perform better than any orher controller released, or about to be released. I can think of PES Playmaker, my favorite Wii series. And Pikmin 3.

The Wii U supports the wii remote and nunchuck for reasons beyond backwards compatibility. Arguing that they're "backwards" for a game like Pikmin 3 is like saying a mouse and keyboard are backwards for playing a first person shooter or Starcraft.

I guess the sheer scorn some have for the wii remote conceptually, colors thinking.

I feel like the game was designed for the game pad. I get some massive multi tasking going on with it that I can't on wii remote.

I agree, the Wii mote is always going to be more accurate but some people seem to be talking like the Gamepad is verging on unusable. The only thing that annoys me about the Gamepad is the battery life tbh.

Any word on a larger official Gamepad battery pack coming to the EU ?.

Frodo

Started the Story mode again. Managed to defeat the first boss and collect everything within reach on that area on the 3rd day... with some time left. Maybe I should try to do everything on the second day...

Neiteio

Still trying to muster hype for this game, despite loving Pikmin 2. How does it compare to that game? Does it have a similar variety of environments? An equally robust bestiary? Can you view the treasures you collect and the creatures you defeat in a Pokedex-style model viewer? (I -loved- that feature in Pikmin 2)

I got it at Target today. I didn't see any on the shelf, so I asked the guy for help. I told him the online site said they had it in stock...he said "be right back" and came out from the back 7 minutes later with the game.

I said, "Yaaaayyy"

Yeah, I'm assuming that it was in the back, but my kid (who is two months shy of being two) was getting cranky and the guy seemed helpful enough, so I didn't feel compelled to insist he might be mistaken about not having any in. I figured it was an honest mistake on his part in terms of not knowing to assume that the real electronics guys just weren't on the ball and hadn't put it out like they were supposed to.

Oh well, I'll get it in later this week. As I said, I had Amazon rewards points to spend anyway.

Just experienced a weird glitch after the second boss. Lots of characters, enemies, text and huge parts of the levels went missing. Had to reboot the game.

I took pics and put them on miiverse (Europe) if anyone wants a look.

Disappointing last stage I must say, damn I lost around 300 Pikmin which was more than the other stages combined. Spent about 4 days just completing the puzzles without any restarts because I just wanted it to be over. Personally I would've preferred a much larger story mode as the Mission mode isn't really my thing. I don't see the point in replaying small sections of levels that were part of the larger main game just to get good times, highscores etc, it seems kinda pointless without taking the rest of the game into context. I would much rather be playing story as the exploration aspect of seeing new areas/enemies/items/fruit are the highlights of all the games in the series. Excellent game but overall I would say the lesser of the 3 in the series. As much as it pains me to say this but I would not recommend this as a purchase - if you can rent or borrow it from a friend that would be your best course of action as it is very very short and without much replayability. If you like to collect games that are works of art then yea it's a must buy.

zl_Cfz_REx_Kpc6_SXD6f_N.jpg

Still trying to muster hype for this game, despite loving Pikmin 2. How does it compare to that game? Does it have a similar variety of environments? An equally robust bestiary? Can you view the treasures you collect and the creatures you defeat in a Pokedex-style model viewer? (I -loved- that feature in Pikmin 2)

As a massive fan of the second game years back, I can confirm this is good stuff. Just as charming, and I like how the caves have been meshed into the environments, as opposed to being seperate entities altogether.

I'd say there's been a nice variety of areas thus far, and I've only just beaten the second boss.

I miss the treasure, but the HD fruit almost makes up for it. I could eat my TV it looks so juicy.

Oidisco

I got this game at EU launch and I've been playing for hours every single day, despite finishing it on my second sitting. I can't stress enough just how awesome this game is. Really made me excited to try the first 2 games since I never got around to playing them before.
And as many have said, this game is very pretty!
zlCfzREz-P80PhkczP

zlCfzRE4u4ECeGLfO7

zlCfzRE4t8sgzIsQn0

atbigelow

Just beat the first boss. The gamepad controls were a huge hindrance for me. Switched to Wiimote+Chuk and wow, feels so much better for me.

Beelzebub

Even though I wish I could somehow use a combination of both control schemes in one, I really appreciate how easy it is to interchange between using the wiimote and the gamepad.

Deadstar

Thanks for all the replies. So I ended up trying the wiimote/nunchuk and I have to say the game feels easier with these controls. Attacking enemies and recalling pikmin feels so much better with this control scheme. I will be playing this way with the gamepad docked next to me for the map.

Teknoman

Even with wiimote and nunchuck making things easier, i'm still surprised people are having a hard time with the gamepad, especially since it feels pretty similar to Pikimin 1 cube controls.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Having trouble with
the big shaggy spider on the Tropical Level

I wish you could pause time to take pictures, that's my favorite thing to do but it's hard to do it when I'm on a schedule...also, I wish you could move the frame with the control stick instead of having to shift the Gamepad around.

Oidisco

Disappointing last stage I must say, damn I lost around 300 Pikmin which was more than the other stages combined. Spent about 4 days just completing the puzzles without any restarts because I just wanted it to be over. Personally I would've preferred a much larger story mode as the Mission mode isn't really my thing. I don't see the point in replaying small sections of levels that were part of the larger main game just to get good times, highscores etc, it seems kinda pointless without taking the rest of the game into context. I would much rather be playing story as the exploration aspect of seeing new areas/enemies/items/fruit are the highlights of all the games in the series. Excellent game but overall I would say the lesser of the 3 in the series. As much as it pains me to say this but I would not recommend this as a purchase - if you can rent or borrow it from a friend that would be your best course of action as it is very very short and without much replayability. If you like to collect games that are works of art then yea it's a must buy.

You should seriously give mission Mode a try. Every map is unique and not simply lifted from the main game. It's pretty damn hard at times and probably makes the best use of the Multi-tasking aspect of the game.

Also, I know you're disappointed now, but give it a day or 2 and come back the game. It's really re-playable. I'm on a second playthrough now and because I know what's coming, I'm actually enjoying myself even more.

brinstar

Even with wiimote and nunchuck making things easier, i'm still surprised people are having a hard time with the gamepad, especially since it feels pretty similar to Pikimin 1 cube controls.

I haven't played Pikmin with GCN controls since it came out... I think what's throwing me off is the lack of swarming with the C-stick or something. I'll have to practice with it some more.

zroid

Banned
Having trouble with
the big shaggy spider on the Tropical Level

just keep tossing reds and yellows at its legs and they will make quick work of it. there's not much point in running in circles around it to dodge; when it starts stomping just move backwards

Just had to force myself to put down my three-hour play session of this game.

I honestly can't give a straight opinion of this since the game's induced me into this weird euphoric, hypnotic state and my mind's still swirling over the fact that I'm actually playing Pikmin 3.

Some quick spoiler-ly impressions:

Only got to play it once, but Tropical Wilds is my personal favorite so far. Does it always rain there?

Has been repeated to death, but the visuals are astounding aside from the jaggie/ground texture here and there. Music is also incredible.

So far I prefer the melancholy of Pikmin 2's Valley of Repose to the tundra but I love all the environmental stuff like the bouncy mushrooms. and OMG THE PRESIDENT NOSE BALL LOL

Jesus Christ, the Armored Mawdad. Cannot remember a Pikmin boss that was that dynamic. Pikmin were being scattered EVERYWHERE. So wish this had the same boss volume as Pikmin 2!

Rock Pikmin are adorable. Love the contrast between how they fucking demolish glass walls yet bounce like pebbles off nearly everything else.

Will be playing the shit out of this tomorrow morning.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Did anyone else fight the first Fiery Blowhogs you meet with Rock Pikmin?

I thought they'd be immune being, y'know, Rocks.

Top Bottom