• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

entremet

Man, this game is beautiful. Played it at a demo station. I really hope Nintendo makes it through the Wii U doldrums. It's nice to see their teams play with decent level hardware. I would be sad if they go handheld only.

eXistor

Surprised many people are mentioning the polish. I mean, this is a Nintendo game, polish should be expected from the get go.

Polish is not something I ever take for granted, in fact I find it to be quite rare. I feel it's aways something that deserves to be mentioned, even from a company that's know for it.

ohlawd

After two hours with the GamePad.... I can't.

I'm used to the Wiimote nunchuck set up too much thanks to NPC Pikmin. But fuck me, did they really have to assign charge while locked on and dismiss to shaking the nunchuk?

edit: game is fucking amazing though. Anyone with a Wii U and have no intention of getting this game; SMFH.

ASIS

Polish is not something I ever take for granted, in fact I find it to be quite rare. I feel it's aways something that deserves to be mentioned, even from a company that's know for it.

Mentioning it is one thing. Being surprised, on the other hand, is another.

EDIT: just realized I worded myself incorrectl, NVM then.

Anyway, I knew this game would be something special since 2012, but I really did not expect to see such glowing reviews and impressions. I thought the Japanese and European release would only attract the fans, so it would be normal, but now the US people are playing and the impressions are even brighter! So happy this game is meeting(and in some cases, exceeding) expectations! :)

Murrah

Banned
Didn't have a whole lot of expectations for the game since I played the original back when it first came out and couldn't get into it too much; ended up skipping out on the sequel and Wiimakes because of it. But this is crazy good so far, especially playing with wiimote with the gamepad used to help multitasking. I can't say I'm thankful for the software drought, but without it I probably wouldn't have picked this up, and that would've been a huge mistake. And even though the game itself is a sequel, this really makes me miss the days when Nintendo just invented new genres and gameplay whenever they felt like it, because there is absolutely nothing else that plays like Pikmin

Though fair warning to anyone who hasn't started, wiimote is absolutely the way to go. Really couldn't stand gamepad controls for the one in-game day I tried them. In fact I feel the controls were probably what kept me from digging into the original now; this is what the pointer was made for

masud

Banned
This is much better than I though it would be. And I bought a Wii U at launch specifically for this game. Don't think I'm halfway through yet but this is probably my goty.

Too bad I'll never get to play the mutli player.

Himself

This game is stunning. So much polish it's ridiculous! I love the more pronounced sci-fi edge, the environments are teeming with creativity, and I'm enjoying the utilization of the Gamepad. So worth the wait.

Randdalf

It's not that it's bad, it's completely serviceable but Wiimote + Nunchuck is much more fluent.

I'd go so far as to say that I found the difference to be only stark in situations that required fine accuracy such as throwing Pikmin at flowers and getting lock-ons, GamePad is perfectly fine otherwise. I kind of preferred it to be honest, having the map more easily to hand is great.

Is there no other way ? This just happened to me too, but I didn't get asked that last night, so while I'm only on Day 2, I thought there'd be an easier way.
I couldn't find an easier way, so I just wiped my progress to get the prompt again and made sure I didn't accidentally press B this time.
Sucks, but that's what happens when there isn't a goddamn Options menu.

As for the graphics in this game, they're good.. but not that impressive. Low poly counts and poor texture resolutions are clearly a holdover from the game's Wii development, but the depth of field effect does quite a lot to mitigate the Wii-ness of it all.

Didn't have a whole lot of expectations for the game since I played the original back when it first came out and couldn't get into it too much; ended up skipping out on the sequel and Wiimakes because of it. But this is crazy good so far, especially playing with wiimote with the gamepad used to help multitasking. I can't say I'm thankful for the software drought, but without it I probably wouldn't have picked this up, and that would've been a huge mistake. And even though the game itself is a sequel, this really makes me miss the days when Nintendo just invented new genres and gameplay whenever they felt like it, because there is absolutely nothing else that plays like Pikmin

Though fair warning to anyone who hasn't started, wiimote is absolutely the way to go. Really couldn't stand gamepad controls for the one in-game day I tried them. In fact I feel the controls were probably what kept me from digging into the original now; this is what the pointer was made for
you really should get pikmin 2 wiimake or original.

the game is amazing

Himself

Yeah, I'm enjoying Pikmin 3 enough that I'll probably pick 2 up pretty soon. Might even try playing through the original for the first time since it came out

I'm not the only one who will tell you they prefer the original over 2. Don't skip it.

Edit: Nevermind, I can't read...

ASIS

I'm not the only one who will tell you they prefer the original over 2. Don't skip it.

*raises hand*

I'm one of those guys too. It's a little underdeveloped, I agree. But Pikmin 1 is far more replayable than the second, and the level design is much tighter too.

Eusis

Yeah, 2 has more stuff but... I dunno, I could never stick with it to the end. First time was when I got it for Christmas and just wrote that off as being busy with other stuff and then having other games crop up before I'd go back, but then I tried replaying it years later AFTER beating Pikmin 1, then again for NPC, and it just didn't stick. I like that I don't have to worry about time as much but at the same time I'm also essentially in for long dungeon crawls repeatedly instead. Guess I'll just see if I actually beat this or not.

Ok, just tried the Boss Battle on Mission mode and... Who on earth kills Armored Mawdad in 0:15 minutes?

I have no idea. I can't even begin to imagine how it is possible, even if i get every rock pikmin on target, that's not enough time to break his head armour, let alone kill him.

Fabrik

Banned
Happy to see this thread alive and the enthusiastic impressions after the game release in the US. My GOTY so far. Still can't get enough of it. Onto platinuming "Destroy all enemies" missions.

Teknoman

zlCfzRE34k8SiY1Xj_

zlCfzRE39LAsK71--6

In a bit of a stump right now, just have Tropical Wilds and Garden of Hope open, but not sure where to go in the slightest. I haven't killed
the Peckish Aristocrab, but I have gotten rid of his claw.

Really have no clue where to go from here, feel like I'm just going to be going through days doing nothing now. Anyone have any help they can give?

Frodo

I have no idea. I can't even begin to imagine how it is possible, even if i get every rock pikmin on target, that's not enough time to break his head armour, let alone kill him.

Ok, It is actually possible.

I made it in 0:34.
We all know you don't need to break the entire armour, but in this case, you only break the tip of the tail and them swarm all your red pikmins pointing there. They will finish it in no time...

Cheska

In a bit of a stump right now, just have Tropical Wilds and Garden of Hope open, but not sure where to go in the slightest. I haven't killed
the Peckish Aristocrab, but I have gotten rid of his claw.

Really have no clue where to go from here, feel like I'm just going to be going through days doing nothing now. Anyone have any help they can give?

Did you already defeat the boss in Garden of Hope? Have you rescued your fellow crewmate from there?

Teknoman

Wow, the safety lift off sequence gave me some Mass Effect 1 vibes lol. Really like the style of music they went with here.

orborborb

My favorite thing about Pikmin was always moving them around me with the c-stick. So I don't know how much all the other fine qualities of this game can make up for taking that out.

I also particularly enjoyed the more naturalistic levels of the first game to the "videogamey" gated corridors of the second one. So far this one feels like a compromise between them which is slightly disappointing.

Cheska

Yup, rescued the first crewmate from there, but I'm not quite sure what boss you're talking about. Is it the one that's
guarding the Rock Pikmin?

Nope. Garden of Hope spoiler:
With the rock pikmin you return to the site where your Drake and Onion land and break the glass barrier. From there you continue and follow the path to build a bridge and then fight a boss further in. TIP: Bring lots of rock pikmin to the fight.

guek

Banned
So whats this about people not liking Gamepad only?

I played the first day with the gamepad and then switched to wiimote for day 2. The gamepad works perfectly fine but IR pointing is so quick and precise, it's impossible for me to go back to the gamepad.

IR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dual analog pretty much always

Nope. Garden of Hope spoiler:
With the rock pikmin you return to the site where your Drake and Onion land and break the glass barrier. From there you continue and follow the path to build a bridge and then fight a boss further in. TIP: Bring lots of rock pikmin to the fight.

Oh wow, didn't even know. The game pushed me towards Tropical Wild so I assumed I just had to go there. Thanks!

_woLf

Is this game on sale anywhere at all? It seems like my best bet may just be getting it from the eShop and saving $5.

Cheska

Oh wow, didn't even know. The game pushed me towards Tropical Wild so I assumed I just had to go there. Thanks!

No problem ^_^

Is this game on sale anywhere at all? It seems like my best bet may just be getting it from the eShop and saving $5.

Nope, not that I could find. I ended up using a gift card to pick up a retail copy from Gamestop but I don't think this will go on sale anytime soon.

masud

Banned
I played the first day with the gamepad and then switched to wiimote for day 2. The gamepad works perfectly fine but IR pointing is so quick and precise, it's impossible for me to go back to the gamepad.

IR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dual analog pretty much always

Isn't it more like signle analog though? Come to think of it Pikmin 3 with the gamepad would be much better if it used the right stick for aiming!

atbigelow

Went against my better judgement and bought it digitally. Waiting for it to download now.

The wifi in my house is pretty spotty though, so the Wuu always sucks downloading shit. I had to move the Wuu into the basement to be closer. :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't find any copies around me, it's all sold out. I'm going to try again tomorrow but it looks like Nintendo wants me to get this digitally.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After playing this today, my primary thought is: this game is made of polish.

Also the overworld design really elevates it above Pikmin 1 and 2 in that area. Tried both gamepad and wiimote+nunchuck control schemes. Wiimote is expert mode for sure, but the gamepad is indeed serviceable. I don't miss the c-stick swarm function due to the much tighter pathing Pikmin demonstrate now. Lock-on isn't just a replacement but an overall improvement IMO.

iammeiam

I played the first Pikmin very briefly, but this is the first Pikmin game I've bought and actually tried to play.

Loving it. Wiimote + nunchuck is a great control scheme, with the Pad as a map screen, the game is lovely, and Pikmin are adorable. I'm forcing myself to take breaks, because I have a feeling it will be over far too soon.

Top Bottom