• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

guek

Banned
Isn't it more like signle analog though? Come to think of it Pikmin 3 with the gamepad would be much better if it used the right stick for aiming!

Well you use the second analog for the camera. It would be nice if they gave you the option to customize, though you'd have to rely on centering in lieu of actual camera control

zroid

Banned
I don't know if this is the best game of the year so far, but I think it is unquestionably the most "fun". Even moreso than Metal Gear Rising, which is already a blast.

Tiktaalik

Grabbed the game pretty much around when my Best Buy opened. There were two bearded hipsters in line to get it infront of me (a bearded hipster). If Nintendo's market is consisting purely of aging gamers that liked NES then they're in a lot of trouble... ANYWAY...

I'm on day 4 and I'm really enjoying the game. The presentation is fantastic and it's really well polished. Tried out gamepad a bit but wiimote feels better to me.

Playing on the gamepad really makes me feel that Nintendo made a mistake by not going with dual touch technology. On that map screen I really want to pinch and zoom and do the sort of things that I'm used to on my mobile and it just feels clunky, unresponsive and weird.

Eusis

Grabbed the game pretty much around when my Best Buy opened. There were two bearded hipsters in line to get it infront of me (a bearded hipster). If Nintendo's market is consisting purely of aging gamers that liked NES then they're in a lot of trouble... ANYWAY...
It admittedly does sort of seem to me one of their best hope is that many of these aging gamers quite literally make more of themselves. Come to think of it I am curious if there's any who grew up on the likes of SMB, Zelda, maybe even FF and DQ, had children in the late 90s or early 2000s... only for them to be complete CoD maniacs.

EDIT: Or, going by Transformers, getting Michael Bay to make a movie based off a Nintendo property.

Deadstar

Does anyone know how to adjust the length of the pikmin lasso? I'd like to cut the length in half. I'm on the gamepad and whenever I'm running the curser is all the way across the screen. To get the pikmin to jump on something close I have to keep pulling back the left stick and it's getting annoying. I"m trying to remember, but I don't think the gamecube version had the lasso, you could just press a to throw the pikmin in front of you. I'd like an option to turn this off and just do that. Or a lock on. Might switch to wiimote and nunchuk if there is no fix for this.

Caladrius

Does anyone know how to adjust the length of the pikmin lasso? I'd like to cut the length in half. I'm on the gamepad and whenever I'm running the curser is all the way across the screen. To get the pikmin to jump on something close I have to keep pulling back the left stick and it's getting annoying. I"m trying to remember, but I don't think the gamecube version had the lasso, you could just press a to throw the pikmin in front of you. I'd like an option to turn this off and just do that. Or a lock on. Might switch to wiimote and nunchuk if there is no fix for this.

You have to use the Wunchuk if you want to make precise throws. I think you can use both controllers at the same time IIRC.

kizmah

Where do I view the pictures I take? If there is an album I can access somewhere, I sure can't find it!

Help!

There is no album. Every time you take a picture, be it with the camera or just by pressing Home, you post it to Miiverse if you want. Otherwise the pictures are gone. Once posted on the Miiverse you can access them from your browser and post them here for example.

I LOVE the camera tool but I really think there should be an album where you could store your photos and afterwards select the ones you want to post to Miiverse.

braves01

Banned
Just played up to the first real boss creature. Impressions so far:

1. Amazingly beautiful looking game.
2. Wii+ and nunchuk >>>>>> gamepad
3. Holy cow amazing lush graphics
4. Good music so far

djyella

So I downloaded the game from the E Shop and must say that this game is amazing! The game is just all around fun, cute, beautiful. I've never played any Pikmin games before this one and I am loving it. My daughter played for a little while and she loves it already too. It actually pulled her away from Animal Crossing for a little while haha. I'm on day 12, finally put the controller down after midnight because I have to work but I really wanted to just keep playing...just one more day...one more day LOL. Awesome game!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
so is this ok to buy with gamepad only? everywhere saying it's nowhere near as good as wiimote has me scared :|

It's downright unplayable in my opinion. You can't move and aim simultaneously with the gamepad, unless there is some hidden control configuration that I couldn't find.

Teknoman

so is this ok to buy with gamepad only? everywhere saying it's nowhere near as good as wiimote has me scared :|

Imo it seems to play just like 1 with the cube controller aside from not being able to make pikmin rally around you with the right stick. I'm not that far, but its been just fine. Not to mention its nice to have the map right infront at all times + camera at any chance.

Just fine for me, and i'm having fun. Havent missed anything that I wanted to hit yet.

Well, just completed day 4 and my juice stock is starting to get a little more comfortable. This game really has some beautiful depth of field effects on display.

I was worried that managing multiple leaders would make the game too complicated, since I spend enough time trying to manage the Pikmin, but thankfully so far, it seems that managing multiple people at once is only crucial for puzzle solving. I'm still really early, so I'm sure it will get a bit more complex, but I am relieved that it doesn't seem like it will be overwhelming.

Teknoman

Well, just completed day 4 and my juice stock is starting to get a little more comfortable. This game really has some beautiful depth of field effects on display.

I was worried that managing multiple leaders would make the game too complicated, since I spend enough time trying to manage the Pikmin, but thankfully so far, it seems that managing multiple people at once is only crucial for puzzle solving. I'm still really early, so I'm sure it will get a bit more complex, but I am relieved that it doesn't seem like it will be overwhelming.

It'll probably help in the future to recover items faster (using radar guide mode).

Mileena

Banned
It's basically the same control scheme as the GameCube ones. It's serviceable, it's fine. But it's definitely not preferred

never played them, just got some interest in this from the cool screens/videos lately. I might have to pass then as all the vids I've seen it looks like aiming while moving is pretty crucial. Dual analogs and they still managed to fuck that one up.

jrcbandit

I haven't had much time to play and was battling some creature when a message popped up near the end of the day describing how I need to go to the onion/rocket before the time limit is up to make sure the Pikmin don't die. Do I need to take them back to their ship/onion or is it okay as long as they are all following me and not idling/carrying something away from me?

Been doing a Mission mode of Battle Enemies! to try to get me familiar with the controls. I think it's worked. I don't think I'll ever platinum any of these stages, though. I can't move that fast, haha.

I haven't had much time to play and was battling some creature when a message popped up near the end of the day describing how I need to go to the onion/rocket before the time limit is up to make sure the Pikmin don't die. Do I need to take them back to their ship/onion or is it okay as long as they are all following me and not idling/carrying something away from me?

They survive if they are with you, or near the onion.

JCX

First impressions

- Beautiful game. I've been playing Wii Pikmin 2 recently, and this is so much slicker

- Thought I'd prefer the Wiimote+Nunchuck, but I actually really like the Gamepad. More convenient for using the map, and It's more natural to slip into Gamepad only mode while watching something else on TV. Still haven't tried to pro yet.

- Landscapes look pretty familiar so far. Hoping for more variety later on.

- The "go here" option is great. Solves a lot of the time management issues from Pikmin 2

- Gamepad gets a lot of flack for being just a map/menu screen, but I find it to be very useful so far

- So far I'm leaning towards liking the juice requirement. puts a little more pressure on.

zroid

Banned
- Gamepad gets a lot of flak for being just a map/menu screen, but I find it to be very useful so far

Sometimes it's better this way. There's definitely a difference between a tacked-on map and something like what they've done here. It's really a game-changer. I think execution is the most important thing, and the "second screen map" cliché has been executed about as well in Pikmin 3 as I've ever seen in any game.

Teknoman

never played them, just got some interest in this from the cool screens/videos lately. I might have to pass then as all the vids I've seen it looks like aiming while moving is pretty crucial. Dual analogs and they still managed to fuck that one up.

Well yes and no. You dont really have to aim while moving, the game isnt that fast paced. You just need to think things through before you do it.

I went to Target today -- as we (my wife, kid, and myself) often do on a Sunday because that's the kind of fast paced life you lead as a family man -- and I figured I'd pick up Pikmin while I was there. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. It wasn't out, and the gentleman helping out while the main electronics department person was on break intimated after checking with the handheld inventory gadget that they had no copies in. Which was odd, because when I got home the online inventory thingamajig indicated that they did have stock.

So long (or at least boring) story short, I just decided to order through Amazon and use up some rewards points, and I should get this on Tuesday (which I know is totes lame). And with that, I close off by conceding that I have nothing of merit to contribute to this conversation.

zroid

Banned
Are you sure they don't die if they are following you outside the onion field? :/ ive been freaking out for nothing then.

As sunset approaches, the game actually tells you how many Pikmin are going to die. As long as they're following any one of the leaders or are within the onion ring (ha), they're safe. :p

Teknoman

Sometimes it's better this way. There's definitely a difference between a tacked-on map and something like what they've done here. It's really a game-changer. I think execution is the most important thing, and the "second screen map" cliché has been executed about as well in Pikmin 3 as I've ever seen in any game.

I'll say. Much like the DS it doesnt have to be something really innovative, just something much more useful than how standard controls would function.

brinstar

I WANT to use the gamepad so I can access the map quicker but I can't aim with it at all. The game almost feels like two halves of one control scheme.

Shahadan

I WANT to use the gamepad so I can access the map quicker but I can't aim with it at all. The game almost feels like two halves of one control scheme.

I don't undertsand how people "can't aim" or find it "unplayable". I'm no Superman and I had no problem with it.
A slight push moves the cursor and a hard push moves the captain (or the other way around?) and if you have trouble with that you just have to push R to move only the cursor.
Most of the time the cursor aimed where I directed my captain. My only problem was aiming at flying enemies, but the R button helps in that case.

Wiimote is obviously far better since a stick can't beat pointing, but it's completely playable.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Also: it sure is messed up how when you kill those little monsters at the very start of the game with Charlie, their fuckin eyeballs explode out from their bodies.

zroid

Banned
Also: it sure is messed up how when you kill those little monsters at the very start of the game with Charlie, their fuckin eyeballs explode out from their bodies.

You feel less sympathetic upon discovery of the abomination which spawned them :p

RomanceDawn

This is one game where I can not divide my attention with off TV play. I get so stressed(in a good way) when I leave behind Pikmin or spend to much time with one thing while another leader could be doing something else. I've done my day 7 or like 5 times before I was satisfied. Much like Fire Emblem, I probably won't ever finish this game with the way I play. Really enjoying myself though.

Did anyone else sit over a trail of ants as a kid, give them insects and people food and watched how they worked to fight and get it all back home? This reminds me of that.

Deadstar

Hahahaha. This post is hilarious.

"I didn't buy a Wii U to use a last gen controller!... Hand me that 360 pad."

Did some reading and it appears that the pro controller has the same issues. Game seems like it was made for Wiimote and nunchuk. To me, that's a step back.

Other than the control issues the game is a lot of fun though.

Drago

Gonna try to pick this up at Gamestop tomorrow with the trade two, buy for $10 deal they're having. Was gonna rent but I ran into some money recently and Pikmin, being one of my all time favorite Nintendo franchises, is something that belongs in my collection.

I just hope that they have some copies in tomorrow. :p

Top Bottom