• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Cbajd5

I already did that. It doesn't lock.

Are you close to what you're trying to lock on to? You have to be within a certain range, you know you're in range when the cursor changes. (EDIT: I think the controller will rumble a bit too.) Then you hold ZL until it locks. Then you can charge when a shake or by pressing B.

EDIT: I've used the Gamepad a bit too, so I'm personally done everything besides pressing B to charge. If you do the shake just move the Gamepad down or up once or it'll try to charge twice.

Welp, got my rights and my lefts mixed up..... Sorry if I sounded stressed, I've just spent 6 (pikmin) days on that boss and its gotten me very frustrated. I'm not very good at video games even though I spend so much time on them!

Frodo

Welp, got my rights and my lefts mixed up..... Sorry if I sounded stressed, I've just spent 6 (pikmin) days on that boss and its gotten me very frustrated. I'm not very good at video games even though I spend so much time on them!

What do you need help with?

Is it to lock on a target? If so, center the cursor on the specific target (boss, enemy, wall or whatever). Press AND HOLD ZL (with the cursor still targeting your enemy) if you are using the Gamepad (Z if you are using the Nunchuck). While locked on you can press B if you are on the GamePad to swarm your Pikmins to the locked target. Alternatively you can shake the Gamepad as you would do if you were using the Nunchuck.

This is going to be my third day on the miniboss in Distant Tundra, and it's really frustrating me. Didn't have nearly as much trouble with its counterpart in Tropical Wilds. I have it down to about 2/3 health, but nothing is getting done due to it always staying in the water half of the arena and barely coming onto the land half.

What do you need help with?

Is it to lock on a target? If so, center the cursor on the specific target (boss, enemy, wall or whatever). Press AND HOLD ZL (with the cursor still targeting your enemy) if you are using the Gamepad (Z if you are using the Nunchuck). While locked on you can press B if you are on the GamePad to swarm your Pikmins to the locked target. Alternatively you can shake the Gamepad as you would do if you were using the Nunchuck.

Already got it fixed. I was pressing ZR instead of ZL lmao.

Frodo

Already got it fixed. I was pressing ZR instead of ZL lmao.

Lol!

Anyway, just did this on Miiverse because of reasons:

zlCfzRE-BLAtIHhVz1

I came to the realisation no Pikmin can't wear glasses. The red one have nose but not ears, the yellow ones have ears but not nose. The rest don't have either.

moai

first time pikmin player here. second day of exploration, went "swimming", pikmin followed and drowned. lost 40 :(
oh the pikminanity.........

Kinsei

Banned
Unlocked the final area today! Gonna go back an get the rest of the fruit and upgrades tomorrow.

I thought you would get the dodge ability as part of the story but it turns out that's not the case. It probably would have helped a lot against (mini-boss spoilers)
Shaggy Long Legs

How many suit upgrades are there? I've only found one so far, although I think I know where another one is.

Gartooth

Just started today! Got up through day 6 and made a lot of progress. Really fun so far, it's not a revolution in Pikmin but it's still Pikmin so I'm enjoying every minute. My pet peeve with the game though is that (and other games do this too) they throw you right into the game the first time you boot it up without sending you to a start screen. Another one is that as far as I know, once you start single player you can't exit to the main menu and have to restart the game to do so. (I think the other Pikmins did this too though)

Anyway decided to play with the Gamepad for today because once I was thrown in the game I was too lazy to fish out a Wiimote and just decided to play. :p The touch pad functionality via the map system is neat, but I think I'm going to go with the Wiimote/Nunchuck + Gamepad tomorrow and from now on simple because it's the best of both worlds. (and after playing NPC Pikmin 1 + 2 I miss aiming to through my Pikmin by pointing)

Oidisco

I just created a terrible soap-opera worthy revenge plot through the camera feature because I'm a terrible human being. I really spammed the shit outta Miiverse and I apologise to anyone who had to witness it.

Also, OMG if you only run around with Charlie, Brittany and Alph they start to hum along to parts of the music!

Also also, moar pictures!

zlCfzRE9gdA2Lz8nu3

zlCfzRE9ojsaMeqH8H

zlCfzRE9pjAg7O4F9L

zlCfzRE94yAS9zdxdo

zlCfzRE9_P0xp8VblW

zlCfzRE-Bd0o_9CUGC

zlCfzRE-B0IV3f7juN

The last 3 pictures are from my awful revenge plot...

Frodo

Just started today! Got up through day 6 and made a lot of progress. Really fun so far, it's not a revolution in Pikmin but it's still Pikmin so I'm enjoying every minute. My pet peeve with the game though is that (and other games do this too) they throw you right into the game the first time you boot it up without sending you to a start screen. Another one is that as far as I know, once you start single player you can't exit to the main menu and have to restart the game to do so. (I think the other Pikmins did this too though)

Anyway decided to play with the Gamepad for today because once I was thrown in the game I was too lazy to fish out a Wiimote and just decided to play. :p The touch pad functionality via the map system is neat, but I think I'm going to go with the Wiimote/Nunchuck + Gamepad tomorrow and from now on simple because it's the best of both worlds. (and after playing NPC Pikmin 1 + 2 I miss aiming to through my Pikmin by pointing)

During a day and the other if you select "Earlier Days" there is an option in there to go back to the title screen.

Just beat it with all the fruit in 38 days. Loved it, I think Pikmin 2 may be my favorite but this is pretty close. Wonderful game that anyone with a Wii U should play. Now bring on the DLC Shiggy.

Also,
fuck Louie

TheChits

I finally got my copy and put in about four hours so far. Wowzers this game is beautiful at times. I'm officially hooked. I didn't realize how much I missed this series

Did a lot today. Got the
pink and blue pikmin
and beat the fourth boss. Boy oh boy did that fourth boss kick my ass. I didn't realize the cadence of the fight until it was almost over, so I needlessly wasted a ton of pikmin lives. I didn't realize you were supposed to avoid the little buggers – not attack them – until late in the battle, and I didn't figure out how to free my pikmin until about the same time. I went into the fight with 100 pikmin – 70 pink, 30 red – and I had 28 by the end. I had lost the vast majority of my pink pikmin population. When I began to clean up and used the pink pikmin to grab all the dead buggers, most of them ran into a web and got killed. So by the end of the day I had about 11 pink pikmin remaining with two in the onion.

-_______________________________-

I won't let that happen on my second run when I go for 100%. Also, I do enjoy how
as I get closer the end, Louie and Olimar are increasingly involved. I had planned on ceasing to play after I rescued Louie, but when he ran off with all our fruit I had to keep going! Got a stockpile of two juices before I stopped for the night. I like how the game puts you on your toes about four-fifths of the way through in a way you don't – or at least I didn't – expect.

Teknoman

I'm not sure how 20 pikmin could lift this guy.

zlCfzRE-FvUYjeJ-Q6

Each can lift like 10 times their body strength. Also just learned about the Geiger counter object in Pikmin 1.

Heh so we actually blew ourselves away.

Btw has anyone ever eaten a mangosteen? Apparently thats what this is:

jvNKKX8wKVGQz.jpg

Looks sorta tasty?

Soren01

This game is genial... everything... gameplay, sound, artstyle... the real story behind the cuteness. Classic!

Thanks, Miya.

masud

Banned
Alone its not hard at all. Shaking things is just tedious and annoying in very fast paced situations. Perfect example: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Well I'm obviously doing something wrong lol

Pikmin isn't fast paced at all though. And you'll probably only need to charge once per fight.

Air

Banned
Going super slow with this. I'm on day 8 I think and haven't faced a boss. I also haven't lost a pikmin. If I end up having even one die, I'll just restart the day.

i was on the same boat as you....i'm on day 18 and no captain yet. i spent the last 8-10 days searching for clues and found nothing, so i caved and went online...

here's where you need to go

go to the Tundra level, go to the the spot where you have to throw pikmin to get the dodge whistle. what you do is throw Brittany down, select her, then have her whistle at the other guy and he'll just walk over to you some how. from there, you beat up some critters and then throw one of your characters across the double mushroom bounce jump along with some pikmin. you'll see a pine cone in this area. from here, i have no idea what to do since i stopped watching right here. just get to this location and you should be on the right path to getting to the captain
Thanks dude, I finally figured it out by like day 20 or 21. Remember there was that
Iron Ball hidden in the face of the snowman President from Pikmin 2? I had seen and tried to get it earlier to no avail, but forgot about it until recently. You're actually able to knock it down and unlock the cave needed by using both Alph and Brittany to get behind it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've got the final boss place open, but haven't gone there. Gonna get all the fruit first. I'm a little over halfway on those. I can already tell the secret memos are gonna be a pain, I'm going to have scoured the world of fruit and be missing like 2 memos and have no idea where to start looking. I really don't want to have to look up a list.

uberluigi

Banned
This game continues to amaze me.
just beat the boss that swallowed Louie, holy shit that boss was huge and looked amazing!
Taking my time admiring the scenery and getting all the fruit before I finish the game and 37 days in this bitch :)

ohlawd

k nice got 100% and beat the game again.

My opinion hasn't changed; Nintendo's done good... really fucking good. 3rd best game I've played so far this year; not gonna post the rest of the list in fear of everyone Red Pikmin'ing me to death.

Also, Bingo Battle is fun as hell. You guys need to play that whenever you can.

Defect

100% completion
More questions. I really hope there's more to the game unlocked with those secret memos. Why was the Wraiths after Olimar? Who's ship was that? I hope I don't have to wait another 9 years for a sequel.

zashga

Loving this game so far; the quasi-realistic aesthetic is magical in HD. The new pikmin types are adorable, too--especially the rock guys. Never get tired of smashing crystals and flattening little beasties with 'em.

Guess I have to
save Loogie
next. I like how the plot
works in the old characters from Hocotate in a roundabout fashion
. Curious to see where that ends up going.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just finished downloading and playing, on day 2. My first Pikmin. It's so charming! And beautiful. And so unlike Miyamoto to include so much story in his game, haha... Didn't realize how much world building there was going to be.

FaintDeftone

Question: does the time limit make the game difficult? This is one of the reasons why I didn't really care for Pikmin because the whole game was basically on a time limit and that is one of my biggest gaming pet peeves.

Question: does the time limit make the game difficult? This is one of the reasons why I didn't really care for Pikmin because the whole game was basically on a time limit and that is one of my biggest gaming pet peeves.

It's an RTS, so there is usually such a mechanic.
However, while having not actually played Pikmin 1, from what I remember of hearsay, you had 30 days in that game, and then that was it. In Pikmin 3, it seems you can have as many days as you have fruit.
There is still the daily time limit, but it's pretty easy since all you really need to make sure happens is the safety of your pikmin. You can be wherever, but it really doesn't matter much at all.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Holy fuck at the third boss....

"I have a bad feeling about this"

Suddenly, the WHOLE arena opens up, and my entire squad falls into the hole and everyone dies...the only time I've reset a Day due to lost Pikmin.

Tagg9

Love the game, it's been soooo long since Pikmin 2. My only complaints are that I wish the game were harder (I'm on the final boss now) and the ground textures are a little lacking.

So normally when I get a game I usually only play for like an hour or so the first day I get it. Been playing Pikmin for almost 6 hours, I can't put it down. I just got the Pink Pikmin and decided to take a break for now.

Holy fuck at the third boss....

"I have a bad feeling about this"

Suddenly, the WHOLE arena opens up, and my entire squad falls into the hole and everyone dies...the only time I've reset a Day due to lost Pikmin.

Yeah, I managed to not lose too many on that particular one, though the more minor versions of that I lost a whole bunch on. X_x Almost didn't have the manpower to finish him off before end of day.

I've reset once or twice due to just completely wasting a day more or less, but I've never just catastrophically lost Pikmin, at least not yet.

zashga

The time limit is much less severe in this game than Pikmin 1. The original had a hard limit of 30 days. This one, you keep finding fruit, which gives you more and more days. I'm on day 15 right now with 20+ days worth of fruit, with plenty more left to find. It would be pretty hard to run out of time in this game.

Edit: Forgot, but as mentioned above: you can also redo a day if you feel like you wasted it.

Top Bottom